View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 162 of 163 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163 LastLast
Results 4,831 to 4,860 of 4872
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    when have you seen the field without lines at THF?
    Ticats practices. During the Inaugural Country concert at THF. The lines are sprayed on with a water based paint which can be washed off with water.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Let me guess, it's not natural grass!
    On plastic you can use chemicals that you can't use on grass.
    I dont think they used a water based washable paint like they use at THF or for example BBVA Compass stadium. The paint can be easily removed with water.

Take note how he talks about "permanent white vs washable green." Like permanent marker vs washable marker. Im assuming the NFL required Wembley to use permanent paint as opposed to washable water based paint.

http://rugbyintexas.com/?p=1523

Griffin and his gang will paint over the soccer stripes (which are painted in permanent white) with washable green for the rugby match. They’ll be visible, but the washable white for the rugby lines will burst out at viewers.
    “They’ll be gone by Monday after we water,” Griffin says.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Montreal have private boxes and the such at McGill? The argos need to partner up with one of uni's like Montreal does at McGill, add a few more thousands seats and play in a 15k to 20k stadia, make the nice intimate experience that has really won the fans over in Montreal, and if they ever turn a profit then they can expand.

And York probably wants nothing to do with the argos cause they fucked York over once before, argos are free loaders which is a shame.
    http://yfile.news.yorku.ca/2005/05/0...rogers-centre/

To bad nobody thats owned them in the last 25 years gave a fuck.

Don't see why TFC should have to endure this type of bullshit.

What if the Jays can't do grass at the dome do to logistics, cost? (pretty sure theyd have to dig up a fuck load of concrete to make it work and its not going to get done in a single off-season, where the jays going to play?)

Hopefully someone is smart enough to wait and see if Rogers is actually going to pony up the cash for a conversion(can't see why they would, they aren't willing to spend on the player payroll), cause there a chance mlse doesn't even need to move the argos even if they do buy them.

I personally hope this never happens as it will backfire for sure, and will probably be the death blow for both teams in the long run.
    Last edited by kshep; 02-22-2015 at 10:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    Ticats practices. During the Inaugural Country concert at THF. The lines are sprayed on with a water based paint which can be washed off with water.

that is during construction.
    the lights aren't done, the rails aren't up.
    maybe i should have clarified, when have you seen the Ticats paint removed from the field?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then the staff at BC Place and THF must REALLY know what theyre doing if they can get the lines removed so quickly.

You can scrub Plastic Turf, you can't vigorously scrub real grass... If someone takes sand paper to your face to get permanent marker off you are going to be unhappy... but if you do it to a Statue head it's not so bad.

Except the more you do it the shorter the life of the turf, and eventually it becomes a littler harder. The do a good job of that in Seattle.

In ontario we have a big issue in that during the winter we can't put a grow sheet over BMO because it requires the use of Herbicides and that is banned in Ontario, if that were allowed in proffesional sports venues where it was not getting into ground water the it was drained, collected and treated properly Grass if fully Viable.

Grass in the CFL is not used because it is 9 days a year with 356 days of maintenance. It is purely cost. The First CFL game is played end of June early July even Edmonton is good to go by then and the last game is end of November... again Grass will hold up just fine.

CFL Teams just don't want to have to be cutting grass and doing all the work required to maintain it, there is no other reason for it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is during construction.
    the lights aren't done, the rails aren't up.
    maybe i should have clarified, when have you seen the Ticats paint removed from the field?
    In case you aren't up to date with the construction of THF. The stadium was under construction during the entire season. Games were played the field was painted and lines removed while construction was going on. The stadium is STILL under construction.

And I saw the lines removed during ticats practices and the Keith Urban concert like i said earlier.
    Last edited by king10; 02-22-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you aren't up to date with the construction of THF. The stadium was under construction during the entire season. Games were played the field was painted and lines removed while construction was going on. The stadium is STILL under construction.

And I saw the lines removed during ticats practices and the Keith Urban concert like i said earlier.
    If thf is still under construction then the company doing the work must be out of business, since they clearly would have missed the targets for finishing and had to pay out crazy fines per day.

I should ask my cousin about that actually, he could get me the inside scoop I'm sure, as he's a former president of the ti-cats, and Hamilton's most prolific Tim Hortons owner to boot, he owns every Hortons near thf.
    Last edited by kshep; 02-22-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kshep View Post
    If thf is still under construction then the company doing the work must be out of business, since they clearly would have missed the targets for finishing and had to pay out crazy fines per day.
    Lol I know. It's been a clusterf*ck. They applied for an occupancy permit again last week.

Hamilton's new stadium to miss yet another completion deadline

New expected completion date is the end of February

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...line-1.2938185

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

strange you saw the unpainted field when it was covered for the seating.

the 'cats did a walk through when they were finally allowed to occupy the field (field only), the stadium was given temporary access permits, and not the entire stadium. The fire suppression wasn't done, so limited concessions, the elevators weren't complete, so upper bowl was delayed.

then the paint came on.
    and there was no need to remove it once they played their last few CFL games there. (nothing else was going on at THF)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

strange you saw the unpainted field when it was covered for the seating.

the 'cats did a walk through when they were finally allowed to occupy the field (field only), the stadium was given temporary access permits, and not the entire stadium. The fire suppression wasn't done, so limited concessions, the elevators weren't complete, so upper bowl was delayed.

then the paint came on.
    and there was no need to remove it once they played their last few CFL games there. (nothing else was going on at THF)
    you really dont believe me do you. The water based paint didn't even need to be scrubbed off. It came off simply because of the elements. Water and snow.

For example in November.. this is the best picture i got courtesy of walderian from the ticats forum

The lines are gone because of the rain and snow. They're repainting advertisements and still need to repaint the field markings.

No the field never had to be scrubbed clean becase there were no other events. But naturally just because of the elements the slate was wiped clean. Imagine how green it would look if they actually did purposely remove the lines.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are markings on the pic you included.
    you can see part of the east sideline (right side of the pic)

And I don't believe you.
    you have been wrong about many things in this thread.

and you are on a soccer forum, determined to change minds that aren't changing.

Perhaps you should hit up an Argos forum, and talk about how great BMO will be for them.

your posts are tiresome, and you're derailing the thread.
    The thread should be pics of BMO construction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Hows the turf at TD/Frank Clair Stadium? You have groundshare there. What's the experience like and would you prefer a smaller, even it was a simpler stadium if it meant a natural surface the National teams would love to play on?
    I've seen the turf played on at BC Place and Frank Clair, and I find the latter better than the former. Though both seem to have more bounce than grass the ball seemed to slow faster at TD Place than BC Place. At TD Place you couldn't see the gridiron lines, but you could sort of tell where they were. However, this didn't detract from the experience. And the supporters provided good sound - that's something corporations can't take away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright lads let's get this back on track and discuss the expansion of BMO field please.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I don't believe you.

Perhaps you should hit up an Argos forum, and talk about how great BMO will be for them.

I'll respect and honour your decision to stop derailing this thread as you are correct it should be about BMO field construction.

However one last post to prove I am no liar (since you asked for proof of the removed markings)

THF sept 11

THF Sept 18

THF Sept 25

In the above photos you can clearly see that the Endzone decals as well as field advertisements have been removed. As well the painted sidelines are varying degrees of width showing that they had been removed and re applied. When I walked by the stadium during the season the field was bare. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera on me but those photos do show something.

Also I dont believe i have been wrong about "many" things. The complete opposite actually. Sorry I dont share the same views as the majority. But I dont think just because I dont share the same views means I shouldn't be able to post in a forum. Regardless I'll honour your request and stay away from this thread Perhaps if I see you at BMO we can share a beer and talk about things we agree on. Cheers and I look forward to a great TFC season. I apologize. #allforone

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Toronto Argonauts have been bankrupt twice in their history - after Harry Ornest's tenure, ending in 1991, and after Sherwood Schwartz' reign in 2003. The league had to operate the team for many months until they handed off to the morally bankrupt duo of Cynamon and Sokolowski, who turned the whole stadium issue into a farce that has exploded in the Argos face.

The Argos have consistently lost money for decades and the losses only grow with each passing year. Playing at BMO Field isn't going to change that. It's an act of throwing good money after bad. The reason: No one that matters in this area gives a flying finger diddle about the Argos or the CFL. And who matters the most? Young people and corporate sponsors.

Try to find very many Toronto high school students who can speak knowledgeably about the CFL. I have raised two sports fanatics in my house in the heart of the city and have seen parades of their friends in here. They're sports mad. We hear them ardently discuss soccer in great depth, which they played growing up. The Raptors have their full attention and hockey, which they played competitively, is always a part of their everyday lives. The Jays are only starting to make an impact having returned to a competitive state recently.

Not once have I ever heard them talk CFL. It's not like they aren't into football. Far from it. For at least a decade, the NFL has been passionately followed by this group. They all have their teams, play fantasy leagues and take road trips to Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit.

They're watching the NFL combines this week. We talkin' practice. Practice. And they're devouring it rabidly.

But they can scarcely name five CFL franchises let alone five players. The CFL has ceased to matter for at least 20 years now. Unless something dramatically changes within this saturated sports market, with the advent and growth of specialized media content delivery systems, there is absolutely ZERO chance this team will ever matter enough to do the most important thing in this whole equation - make money and repay the hefty investment that will be laid out to accommodate them at BMO Field. They'll simply be transferring their current woes as a secondary tenant at the dome to another stadium where they'll be a secondary tenant aggravating customers of the principal product.

I've discussed this regularly with other parents and the same phenomenon occurs regularly in their households. As parents, we all grew up following the Argos. But, here in Toronto, other higher level sports leagues have captured fans attention and relegated the Argos to the same status as the Toronto Marlies or Mississauga Steelheads. When was the last time you talked about Jerry D'Amigo or Bryson Cianfrone?

When you can't capture a significant share of the younger end of the demographic scale, you are doomed with sponsors who have no lack of options in placing their ads where they will have the desired effect. That issue then trickles into the sale of premium seating or suites.

Soccer doesn't have that problem. Nor does basketball, especially with the Raptors grabbing hold of a generation and the steady development of homegrown talent like Andrew Wiggins. Hockey is very aware that it needs to work hard to hold onto what it has, but young stars like Sid Crosby, PK Subban, Steve Stamkos or Alex Ovechkin grab eyeballs. Connor McDavid is about to become a national darling very quickly.

The CFL can't compete for the best athletes and it shows in it's product and the level of attention directed towards it here in Toronto. Sure they gobble it up in the hinterland - it's the best they'll ever get. That's why junior hockey works in smaller centres as well, but not in Toronto.

The CFL has a place in the Canadian sports landscape. But operating as they currently do, on a basis of paying for itself going forward here in Toronto, the Argos are already toast. The Blocking Dead.

It's futile to spend public money for football at BMO Field. All they'll be doing is eroding the quality of a solidly established and demonstrably profitable soccer operation. With a huge upside. In earlier posts, there was discussion of how scheduling CFL and MLS games would work. If we were just talking about a fixed amount of games in a predictable time-line, there might be some merit there. But TFC have the ability to add games every year via the Canadian championship and qualifying for CONCACAF Champions League.

Having enjoyed some cracking games against the top Mexican sides, I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping to see more of those. The quality of play raises substantially and we've seen some great moments there, like Chad Barrett's sensational strike against Cruz Azul (I'm winging it, might have been UNAM). So how can we expect quality pitches for those games when they might have to be slotted into a Tuesday or Wednesday with only two or three days of recovery after a CFL game?

There's a reason the Jays are evicting the Argos - the need for an artificial playing surface is eroding the quality of the core product at the dome. They have at least 81 home dates and can ensure long-term fan loyalty and better play by providing a proper playing surface. That's what serves as conventional wisdom in stadium design and operation nowadays - a quality venue to showcase a core product, not the multi-use trend we saw in the 70s and 80s.

Same thing applies to BMO Field. Add in the Concacaf games plus a handful of national team games and a few lucrative summer friendlies and we could easily see over 30 games being played there to large crowds. The Argos will do nothing to enhance the quality of play and, over time, will erode the attractiveness of soccer at the stadium. And they'll do this while continuing to lose money as a secondary tenant.

So why are supposedly smart, rich people even debating the issue? If they Argos have any hope of reviving, they have to have their own stadium where Canadian football can be properly presented and showcased, not just for the Argos, but for university, high school and competitive recreational leagues. David Braley has the money - he gives away millions to charity - and the CFL has additional resources to get this process started. Get that PanAm games stadium gussied up and suitable for this purpose. It's long enough and wide enough and has plenty of room to add stands.

It would be nice see some vision and original thinking from the CFL mob. Enough of acting hard done by and moaning 'Please think for me, I can't bear to.' The CFL is better than that and they need to give their game a Toronto venue where it's a priority, not pleading for some lame-assed solution that only makes them enemies. Or they need to accept that maybe their time here is up. As we're seeing, a long history does not ensure a long future.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 02-23-2015 at 02:04 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One stop away but then I need to navigate Union station and take the sky bridge which I always get lost in. Still need to go outside once the skywalk ends. Plus if I want to drive to BMO its a little bit quicker getting out as spadina can be a mess around the Rogers Centre. I love exhibition stop. Just a small station that drops you off at the foot of the stadium.
    I concede on parking and the convenience of the ex stop but how do you get lost on the path! Either way, if the Argos happen, I hope MLSE knows what theyre doing because I cant do lines or turf. Also, Hamilton needs a NASL team so we can road trip to the Hammer for games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    I concede on parking and the convenience of the ex stop but how do you get lost on the path! Either way, if the Argos happen, I hope MLSE knows what theyre doing because I cant do lines or turf. Also, Hamilton needs a NASL team so we can road trip to the Hammer for games.
    I have season tickets for the tiger cats and my rep thinks there will be a team in about 3 years the owner as the rights to a team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    I have season tickets for the tiger cats and my rep thinks there will be a team in about 3 years the owner as the rights to a team
    We've been hearing this for over 3 years already but I really hope it comes to fruition. Can Hamilton support a D2 team? I have my doubts but I certainly hope so. I'd definitely drive over to the Hammer for some games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I don't believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    Alright lads let's get this back on track and discuss the expansion of BMO field please.
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Or, should I say, these?!?!?!??!
    For the love of God, Dichio, Pele, Beckenbauer...enough CFL talk!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Or, should I say, these?!?!?!??!
    For the love of God, Dichio, Pele, Beckenbauer...enough CFL talk!!!!!!!!!!
    Hahaha love how these 4 are ranked on importance lol.

But seriously everyone let's get back to the topic of the expansion of BMO field. There is an off topic subforum your welcome to use to continue this CFL conversation.

This is the final warning if the topic drifts back to anything not related to TFC or the expansion of the stadium for there use there will be infractions handed out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who wants pics? From G.L.17 at Urban Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    Who wants pics? From G.L.17 at Urban Toronto

Now THAT's what I'm talking about!!!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that keeps popping out to me is 'cheering counts as an assist'... ugh
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Og, there will be a continuous concourse from the east to the west, along the south end. That construction will begin later this week.
    Thanks. The East side extension gets all the publicity of course, but the wrap around concourse is going to affect us who are on the West or in the South far more.

I look forward to a year from now when we are discussing pics of the new roof.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thanks. The East side extension gets all the publicity of course, but the wrap around concourse is going to affect us who are on the West or in the South far more.

I look forward to a year from now when we are discussing pics of the new roof.
    From what I can deduce from the photos throughout the thread it seems as though the entire project (stand and concourse) are done in pre-fabricated pieces and then are being placed in at BMO on a schedule.

If you look from any of the south end photos (I know there are a few), it seems and though the supports for the new "2nd" level of the concourse is there and they are going to be placing the pieces on top and then tying everything together and new stairs.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you looking for pics and nothing else...

Click
    HERE
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    The thing that keeps popping out to me is 'cheering counts as an assist'... ugh

It reeks of detached marketing people sitting around a huge table saying, "Wow, that's really clever".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denMAR View Post
    It reeks of detached marketing people sitting around a huge table saying, "Wow, that's really clever".

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were always major drainage problems on the west-side concourse. I can't imagine being one of the vendors over there, who have to stand in cold water for a couple of hours to sell their beer etc. Not nice for the fans either.

Another existing problem: stadium not winterized, i.e., un-insulated pipes, risk of frost damage etc.

Does anyone know if those issues are being addressed this time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    There were always major drainage problems on the west-side concourse. I can't imagine being one of the vendors over there, who have to stand in cold water for a couple of hours to sell their beer etc. Not nice for the fans either.

Another existing problem: stadium not winterized, i.e., un-insulated pipes, risk of frost damage etc.

Does anyone know if those issues are being addressed this time?
    This is a great question. With all the new facilities (clubs, new toilets, etc) going into the east side, seems like a good time to winterize the whole thing.