View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 160 of 163 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163 LastLast
Results 4,771 to 4,800 of 4872
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I had previously heard the plan was to have logos and stuff relegated to the FieldTurf CFL endzones that will be hidden under the retractable stands. No idea if that's still the current plan.
    that seems like the most logical solution to appease both sides

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we're on the topic of Endzones. I did some research to find examples of retractable endzone seating. I found a great example in Parken Stadium in Denmark (which by the way is an awesome stadium). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telia_Parken

They recently renovated one of the ends behind the goals to include retractable seating. They also removed the upper deck and replaced it with suites/ offices.

This is probably the type of retractable stand BMO and MLSE would be looking to replicate. It even has red seats!

Seats retracted

Seats extended while empty

The seats probably need to wheel in and out on a concrete base so the field turf will have to be installed before each CFL game like they do at the Rogers Centre.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    For the people claiming this? Yes, it's ridiculous.

But I don't think most people are concerned about "the slightest indication" the pitch was used for CFL football, or a bit of blue - I think they are concerned with the pitch becoming a big mess, combined with CFL adverts and/or lines on the pitch for TFC games.

As a supporter, you have limited means to express your displeasure in a meaningful way. Not opening your wallet for them is one such option.
    For sure, if the pitch ends up as a giant mud puddle toward the end of the season I think we'd see a noticeable drop in attendance - and people would be absolutely right to stay away if that situation is allowed by MLSE. I know it would be make-or-break for me. If this proposed hybrid turf stands up fairly well, though, I won't be complaining over a few rough patches here or there. Like you sorta mentioned earlier - we all have differing levels of tolerance.

Put me down as cautiously optimistic on the hybrid turf issue.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    For sure, if the pitch ends up as a giant mud puddle toward the end of the season I think we'd see a noticeable drop in attendance - and people would be absolutely right to stay away if that situation is allowed by MLSE. If this proposed hybrid turf stands up well, I won't be complaining over a few rough patches here or there, though. Like you sorta mentioned earlier - we all have differing levels of tolerance, but I think a few are setting very high standards.

I will say one thing about the hybrid turf - I am trying to stay cautiously optimistic about it.
    Look at last year, because of the rough winter our field was in terrible condition until late spring-early summer.
    Can you imagine a year when our pitch starts to take shape only to be destroyed when the CFL season starts at the beginning of June?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might be wrong here but didn't the groundskeeper from wembley or something come out and said that the lines used for football games never really fully come out of the grass? Something on the lines of that he's tried like 4 or 5 different sprays and they all just fade, never fully gone.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petor View Post
    Look at last year, because of the rough winter our field was in terrible condition until late spring-early summer.
    Can you imagine a year when our pitch starts to take shape only to be destroyed when the CFL season starts at the beginning of June?
    Argos wouldnt use the stadium till canada day. They practice at downsview. Pre season at varsity. Season starts on canada day. If the turf is in crap condition come july its because the groundskeeper dropped the ball in prepping it in the springtime. TFC will have 3 and a half months of the field to itself to ensure it is strong come july. With the undersoil heating and synthetic fibres to reinforce the grass growth the field should be in tip top shape come july and able to support 9 cfl games spread out over july to the beginning of november. Thats 9 games over 135 days. An average of 1 football game every 15 days over that span. Mix in the tfc and canmnt team games and you should still have 5 to 7 days for the grass to recover.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    I might be wrong here but didn't the groundskeeper from wembley or something come out and said that the lines used for football games never really fully come out of the grass? Something on the lines of that he's tried like 4 or 5 different sprays and they all just fade, never fully gone.
    Well the beauty of grass is that it grows lol. Since it grows you can just cut the longer strands that were once painted and reveal the shorter unpainted grass.

Its not like field turf where you have to spray solutions on to remove the lines. Also the washable paint seems to work well on the same surface at bc place. It can only work better on grass that is being cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guess the mower decks are set to a certain height to as not damage the artifical stuff in a hybrid, probably explains why it doesn't all wash out, and just fades.

Guessing the paint doesn't wash out of the plastic parts of the pitch as it does with the real grass, which is why I'm guessing you also see them spray the lines out green too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people will talk about how they can do it in other areas...

but check out the microclimates of north america.
    we are in the same area as the NFC north... and look at how bad their turf looks late in the season. and that is NFL stadiums that have exclusive use of their fields.

check out Lambeau, where they have to paint the dirt/grass green.
    and soldier field.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kshep View Post
    I'm guess the mower decks are set to a certain height to as not damage the artifical stuff in a hybrid, probably explains why it doesn't all wash out, and just fades.

Guessing the paint doesn't wash out of the plastic parts of the pitch as it does with the real grass, which is why I'm guessing you also see them spray the lines out green too.
    I see what your saying with the artificial fibres.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king10 View Post
    Argos wouldnt use the stadium till canada day. They practice at downsview. Pre season at varsity. Season starts on canada day. If the turf is in crap condition come july its because the groundskeeper dropped the ball in prepping it in the springtime. TFC will have 3 and a half months of the field to itself to ensure it is strong come july. With the undersoil heating and synthetic fibres to reinforce the grass growth the field should be in tip top shape come july and able to support 9 cfl games spread out over july to the beginning of november. Thats 9 games over 135 days. An average of 1 football game every 15 days over that span. Mix in the tfc and canmnt team games and you should still have 5 to 7 days for the grass to recover.
    Sorry, read the schedule wrong, preseason starts beginning of June.

As for grass recovering in 5-7 days, well, Wembley grounds keepers couldn't do it, what makes you think that TFC's grounds keepers can?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-football.html

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is nfl plays in december january. Theres a huge difference in maintaining grass in october novemeber vs december january. Any grass grown in january will look and be shart.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, read the schedule wrong, preseason starts beginning of June.

As for grass recovering in 5-7 days, well, Wembley grounds keepers couldn't do it, what makes you think that TFC's grounds keepers can?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...-football.html
    They said they put too much topsoil down which caused the grass at wembely to tear easily. Man made mistake. As for the lines still being there i have no idea. Did they use washable paint? THF and bc place never have a problem washing away the markings, sometimes as fast as 2 days after.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thing is nfl plays in december january. Theres a huge difference in maintaining grass in october novemeber vs december january. Any grass grown in january will look and be shart.
    Ok say both the Argos and TFC make it to the playoffs, what happens to the pitch in November?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok say both the Argos and TFC make it to the playoffs, what happens to the pitch in November?
    Well like i said growing grass in october november is much easier than december january when snow and sub zero temperatures come. Argos at most would only play 1 playoff game at home.

Check out the daytime high and low difference between November and December. Big difference.

High °F Low °F High °C Low °C
    31 20 January -1 -7
    33 22 February 0 -6
    40 29 March 5 -2
    53 39 April 12 4
    65 50 May 18 10
    75 59 June 24 15
    80 64 July 27 18
    78 63 August 26 17
    70 56 September 21 13
    57 45 October 14 7
    46 36 November 8 2
    36 26 December 2 -3
    55 43 Year 13 6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well like i said growing grass in october november is much easier than december january when snow and sub zero temperatures come. Argos at most would only play 1 playoff game at home.

Check out the daytime high and low difference between November and December. Big difference.

31 20 January -1 -7
    33 22 February 0 -6
    40 29 March 5 -2
    53 39 April 12 4
    65 50 May 18 10
    75 59 June 24 15
    80 64 July 27 18
    78 63 August 26 17
    70 56 September 21 13
    57 45 October 14 7
    46 36 November 8 2
    36 26 December 2 -3
    55 43 Year 13 6
    I don't know, I've lived in Toronto all my life and I've never cut my lawn in November.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know, I've lived in Toronto all my life and I've never cut my lawn in November.
    Of course not. I doubt you have undersoil heating though which keeps the frost from killing the grass in November. Or oxygen to help the grass grow.

I also doubt you have giant grass growing lights..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTSRRW8irFI

You're lawn isn't the multi million dollar pitch system at BMO field.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course not. I doubt you have undersoil heating though which keeps the frost from killing the grass in November. Or oxygen to help the grass grow.

I also doubt you have giant grass growing lights..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTSRRW8irFI

You're lawn isn't the multi million dollar pitch system at BMO field.
    Maybe not but my lawn looked a hell of a lot better than the pitch at BMO Field last spring.

And I doubt that BMO Field use grow lights.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe not but my lawn looked a hell of a lot better than the pitch at BMO Field last spring.

And I doubt that BMO Field use grow lights.
    They don't. But if MLSE is serious about maintaining pitch quality(like they say they are) into the fall they will make the investment.

And if your lawn was better than TFC's that has to be the groundskeepers fault. If the grass is crap in the spring before the Argos even play there in July its on the groundskeeper.

But we were talking about November grass. Not spring time which is solely when TFC uses it in good weather. Should be no excuse for poor quality pitch in the spring.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    Everything we are talking about is speculation, which in my opinion is the worst part.

When/if the argos move in we are an experiment which we have no way to get out of if their hypothesis isn't 100% correct. In an absolutely ideal world the ground sharing may work and we may never see signs of it but we don't live in an ideal world and we are likely to see all the negatives that have been pointed out at some point in the first few years.

What people don't seam to be talking about is how poor this deal also is for the argos (not an argos fan and i really don't care about the cfl). The stadium will still be red, they are still a 2nd tenant and they have already been on ex grounds and had fans demand out. I don't see what the big deal is about moving out of downtown for them, they would likely do better in oshawa than they do downtown.

I know some people like the heritage argument but as Canadians we have allowed for Tim Hortons, one of the most iconic Canadian entities ever, to be owned and operated by Americans. We have also allowed for the Hudson Bay company to be owned and run by Americans, and they played a huge role in the settlement of this country. So a football teams heritage doesn't really hold up in my books.

BMO field is the lazy solution, in an area with as many universities with football programs we have to be able to find a better solution for both teams.
    Its not the lazy solution. Its the cheapest solution for the argos finding a home and staying alive.

CIS stadiums seat 5000 people with no luxury seating, expansion and upgrades would cost just as much as building a new stadium. No way CIS stadiums cut it. Varsity has no room for expansion. York isn't an option or else they would've partnered up with them for the Pan Ams. Everything else is outside of the GTA.

Of course there is a better solution. It's called come up with $200 million and build a new stadium. With enough money anything can be done. But that isn't happening.

Also im not getting the heritage comparison to HBC and Tim Hortons. If you wanted to compare situations it would be the Argo's new owner coming from the states and still operating the franchise. Not the franchise simply dying off. Tim Hortons and HBC are still around.
    Last edited by king10; 02-22-2015 at 07:53 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    For sure, if the pitch ends up as a giant mud puddle toward the end of the season I think we'd see a noticeable drop in attendance - and people would be absolutely right to stay away if that situation is allowed by MLSE. I know it would be make-or-break for me. If this proposed hybrid turf stands up fairly well, though, I won't be complaining over a few rough patches here or there. Like you sorta mentioned earlier - we all have differing levels of tolerance.

Put me down as cautiously optimistic on the hybrid turf issue.
    Ultimately I probably come down as provisionally okay with the Argos, simply because Leiweke has made it clear that he hears all of the complaints and SPECIFIC concerns about the potential move.

Actions speak louder than lovely, cheap words, however.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of exactly that today as well. And I'd wager it will be even worse this year given how shitty the 2014-2015 winter has been thus far.

That said, though, the CFL season doesn't start up until late June so pitch deterioration in the spring isn't something we can chalk up to them. Unfortunately, we'll likely see the most degradation during the second half of the MLS season through to the playoffs - which is even more disadvantageous for us and TFC.

Pint makes a great point as well:

Everything we are talking about is speculation, which in my opinion is the worst part.

When/if the argos move in we are an experiment which we have no way to get out of if their hypothesis isn't 100% correct. In an absolutely ideal world the ground sharing may work and we may never see signs of it but we don't live in an ideal world and we are likely to see all the negatives that have been pointed out at some point in the first few years.
    It's natural to be apprehensive about these sorta changes, perhaps moreso with TFC because we've seldom enjoyed extended periods of stability and security with the club. Suspicion on the part of the fans and supporters is, unfortunately, well-deserved.

What people don't seam to be talking about is how poor this deal also is for the argos (not an argos fan and i really don't care about the cfl). The stadium will still be red, they are still a 2nd tenant and they have already been on ex grounds and had fans demand out. I don't see what the big deal is about moving out of downtown for them, they would likely do better in oshawa than they do downtown.
    I agree! I think with ground-sharing BMO Field, both clubs are giving up too much. And as an aside, I'd love the Argonauts to come out here to the East end of Toronto. Durham has absolutely nothing going for it, with the exception of the new casino going in at Pickering. We need more sports and entertainment facilities out this way. Argonauts coming to a place like Oshawa is a pipedream, but I know I'd love it.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 02-22-2015 at 08:53 PM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They said they put too much topsoil down which caused the grass at wembely to tear easily. Man made mistake. As for the lines still being there i have no idea. Did they use washable paint? THF and bc place never have a problem washing away the markings, sometimes as fast as 2 days after.
    top dress material would have nothing to do with root strength/depth and rhizomes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizome

dude, we get it, you want the Argos at BMO.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    top dress material would have nothing to do with root strength/depth and rhizomes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhizome

dude, we get it, you want the Argos at BMO.
    I know? Im not trying to keep it a secret?

this is a forum. Ppl post their views. I post mine. Am i not allowed to post because im ok with the argos to bmo?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

31 20 January -1 -7
    33 22 February 0 -6
    40 29 March 5 -2
    53 39 April 12 4
    65 50 May 18 10
    75 59 June 24 15
    80 64 July 27 18
    78 63 August 26 17
    70 56 September 21 13
    57 45 October 14 7
    46 36 November 8 2
    36 26 December 2 -3
    55 43 Year 13 6
    the colder it gets, the more stress the Grass is under.
    MLS Cup was played in December this year.

Our stadium is right on the lake.

Look at the 1996 Grey Cup, played just 60Km down the road.
    and that was late November.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/84th_Grey_Cup

pointy ball is concentrated between the hash marks. 24 x avg 200+lb guys pushing off the turf.
    vs. 20 (keepers aren't moving a lot) x average 150lb guys not pushing into the turf in a sort of sumo wrestling match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many CFL stadiums have natural grass fields?
    Why did the last ones with natural grass switch to artificial?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many CFL stadiums have natural grass fields?
    Why did the last ones with natural grass switch to artificial?
    none have turf. They switched because like in the nfl. Players prefer playing on turf over grass. Its also cheaper to maintain turf.

Also i know in hamilton the stadium is used for public soccer and football rentals so they wanted a surface they could get the most use out of. Which obviously isnt grass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

none have turf. They switched because like in the nfl. Players prefer playing on turf over grass. Its also cheaper to maintain turf.

Also i know in hamilton the stadium is used for public soccer and football rentals so they wanted a surface they could get the most use out of. Which obviously isnt grass.
    I doubt very much that the players prefered turf is the reason(turf toe). True reason is what you mentioned, cheaper to maintain.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guelph worked for the Ti-cats for that year.
    my co-workers with seasons loved it.
    had a collegiate atmosphere.
    13K which is about what the Argos average.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumni_Stadium_(Guelph)

which isn't too far off considering the "papering" the argos do.
    http://www.argonauts.ca/schedule/year/2014/7

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Guelph worked for the Ti-cats for that year.
    my co-workers with seasons loved it.
    had a collegiate atmosphere.
    13K which is about what the Argos average.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alumni_Stadium_(Guelph)

which isn't too far off considering the "papering" the argos do.
    http://www.argonauts.ca/schedule/year/2014/7
    yes i had seasons tickets that season. It was a good atmosphere on a temporary basis. They had hundreds of portapoties. No permanent luxury suites. The university didnt want them there full time. There werent even food stands. They brought food trucks. And lets not forget the only reason it worked is becase the cfl subsidized the losses the ticats had while at guelph.

The amenities arent there. It was ok on a part time basis. Not full time. We sat on metal bleachers. And just 5 yrs ago the argos were averaging 30k. A university stadium like guelph isnt in the conversation and for good reason. Not to mention its not in the GTA.
    Last edited by king10; 02-22-2015 at 09:18 PM.