View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 145 of 163 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,350 of 4872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder what they are going to do in the trailer to replicate the BMO field experience. I assume most will enter all bright eyed and full of hope and exit much poorer but how are they going to convey the eight plus years of soul crushing futility, all the angst and despair...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I wonder what they are going to do in the trailer to replicate the BMO field experience. I assume most will enter all bright eyed and full of hope and exit much poorer but how are they going to convey the eight plus years of soul crushing futility, all the angst and despair...
    If they plan to do what we're talking about in here the new BMO field will be a soul crusher of a different sort.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ maybe you enter the trailer and are given a rental suit to wear... choosing from today's latest fashions, the suits come in size boys medium... one size fits all.

You are then ushered into the lounge where you are served premium spirits at premium prices. Actors, dressed in similar boys sized medium suits offer to pose with you for selfies.

From outside the glass, you see actors portraying the most passionate fans. They are standing and singing. More selfies are taken using this crowd as a backdrop.

10 mins into the experience an announcement comes on reminding you that there is only 10 mins left in the half. At which point you venture over to the glass.

An attendant asks if you can see. You say you can't. Immediately yellow jackets flood the section and force the fans to sit and be quiet. They comply.

You venture out to look at the pitch... Is that turf or real grass can't tell.... You start to follow the match until someone inside calls out "OMG it is Drake!"

You rush inside because you too started from the bottom now you here. The game ends or it doesn't .... who knows you have 100 new selfies, a Drake autograph and your legs are numb from wearing pants that were too tight.

As you leave, an attendant hands you a voucher for a discount off Argos tickets.

What a great day.
    Last edited by Pookie; 12-23-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    ^ maybe you enter the trailer and are given a rental suit to wear... choosing from today's latest fashions, the suits come in size boys medium... one size fits all.

You are then ushered into the lounge where you are served premium spirits at premium prices. Actors, dressed in similar boys sized medium suits offer to pose with you for selfies.

From outside the glass, you see actors portraying the most passionate fans. They are standing and singing. More selfies are taken using this crowd as a backdrop.

10 mins into the experience an announcement comes on reminding you that there is only 10 mins left in the half. At which point you venture over to the glass.

An attendant asks if you can see. You say you can't. Immediately yellow jackets flood the section and force the fans to sit and be quiet. They comply.

You venture out to look at the pitch... Is that turf or real grass can't tell.... You start to follow the match until someone inside calls out "OMG it is Drake!"

You rush inside because you too started from the bottom now you here. The game ends or it doesn't .... who knows you have 100 new selfies, a Drake autograph and your legs are numb from wearing pants that were too tight.

As you leave, an attendant hands you a voucher for a discount off Argos tickets.

What a great day.
    Just shoot me now and get it over with.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE tried and did, force ice hockey tickets on soccer fans, why would they see argos be any different...they may not own argos (at least yet) but they will benefit from their tickets getting sold..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a great day.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    The hard truth is that it might be time for either the Argos to leave the metro Toronto area, or for the CFL to run the team for a while, until another owner comes along. If the CFL considers having a Toronto team to be so important, it may be time for them to step up - though I'd love to see how the other, profitable teams react to that.

The Argos have had two previous opportunities to get in on a joint stadium deal, and they opted not to plan for the long term, to toil away at the Rogers Centre instead. Now the Jays are kicking them out, and they are flailing around with no plan. They've made this bed for themselves, and now they can lie in it.
    I question how willing the owners are to float red ink for any club. Given toronto is a key market, but still...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much in the reno caters to the existing crowd its like MLSE has decided the "supporter" crowd doesn't sell out the building, and is more of a headache so they will pursue the corporate fan route and that fan won't give a shit if its Turf or not.
    Have to suggest that isn't the case / won't work. The facility is 3rd class start to finish, even with the Reno. Transportation to the west side of town is problematic. Corporate sales will flop, hugely.

I can take a client indoors, near the core to a jays game with a more recognized product that more people like or I can do TFC which suits my interests but not many people really go for. Tack on the problems above ad I doubt they'll make much traction.

They might as well hawk corp seats to Marlies games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Immediately yellow jackets flood the section and force the fans to sit and be quiet.
    Sadly this was my exact experience at the Liverpool friendly...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you @Heepster!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Have to suggest that isn't the case / won't work. The facility is 3rd class start to finish, even with the Reno. Transportation to the west side of town is problematic. Corporate sales will flop, hugely.

I can take a client indoors, near the core to a jays game with a more recognized product that more people like or I can do TFC which suits my interests but not many people really go for. Tack on the problems above ad I doubt they'll make much traction.

They might as well hawk corp seats to Marlies games.
    i often use my tix to entertain clients and always have a great response. Not sure you are right on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly this was my exact experience at the Liverpool friendly...
    sadly you can get that experience in a lot of grounds even in England. Plenty of grounds are all seaters and the security enforce it, I think even big stadiums like Manchester United at Old Trafford and Arsenal at Emirates have no standing for home fans. Other grounds like say West Ham at Upton park, Chelsea at Stamford Bridge or Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park often have a section standing behind the nets that security turn a blind eye to. I think away fans at any stadium usually the security don't bother if from the start most fans are standing they know its a lost battle so they just let them stand, if most away fans start to sit at the beginning then security have to get the rest to sit as well (its sad that sometime away fans actually do sit down, tho more often all standing).

Anyways I hate sitting down, sitting down kills the atmosphere, would love to see England grounds get standing sections again in the top divisions like Germany has got, I know it been talked about a lot, I just want to see it happen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    i often use my tix to entertain clients and always have a great response. Not sure you are right on this one.
    I think I know what he means. I have some friends who love TFC and Soccer and the English Premiership. I have 1 job I work at where pretty much all my co-workers like TFC or follow at least soccer in Europe. However I have another part time job I work at, its pretty much all guys yet Soccer is never really ever mentioned, they will talk about Baseball, Hockey, Football but Soccer comes up and its like , "oh you like Soccer" "its a girls game" or "its so slow". Anyways there is no way they would give a shit about going to a game, they just got hate for it in there eyes.

Maybe he means in some cases, going to a Blue Jays game or for sure a Leafs game a client would like it, its more main stream, its the type of atmosphere to what North American fans sort of expect when attending a sporting event, sitting down, chatting, scoreboard watching with great computer graphics, music, food, beer, family friendly, things like that. When it comes to TFC, you got your hardcore fans that love it, your casual fans who like soccer, your fans who have never been to a game but are really surprised by the atmosphere and its something different and they end up having a really good time. Then you got your haters, and there is plenty of them around as well. Its more of a gamble with TFC maybe is what he is saying.
    Last edited by james; 12-31-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I had very good seats for years and used them 3-5 times/year for this. It worked well 2007-2010, but the acceptance rate fell off a cliff in 2011.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Some industries won't allow this type of entertainment anymore. Healthcare/Pharma is one. I would expect that the public sector won't be far behind.

It's a mini-crisis looming on the horizon for franchises that have built their ticket models on corporate clients.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I had very good seats for years and used them 3-5 times/year for this. It worked well 2007-2010, but the acceptance rate fell off a cliff in 2011.
    As soon as the "it" stage passed people's interest (from a corporate perspective) took a huge dive.

Maybe other people's clients are different, mine are pampered and generally uninterested in sport. Getting potentially rained on, stuck in traffic, to watch a less than world class league in a pretty mediocre facility doesn't really make it a winner from their perspective.

If you have someone who likes the sport or is a diehard, great. But my experience is that person is rare, especially in the case of the older guys.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 12-31-2014 at 04:43 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Maybe other people's clients are different, mine are pampered and generally uninterested in sport. Getting potentially rained on, stuck in traffic, to watch a less than world class league in a pretty mediocre facility doesn't really make it a winner from their perspective.

Thus, the new club levels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Thus, the new club levels.
    To clarify, I'm not saying TFC doesn't appeal to anyone, corporate, ever, simply that a large corporate base you get with the other major teams (especially leafs) just won't fly, even with the reno.

Doubt this stadium will be anything to write home about once finished, unless hosting a winter classic is top of the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

According to Leiweke, the government money hurdle for phase 3 expansion seems like it has been positively resolved (and for fun, Leiweke drops in a reference to the Grey Cup). This is from Chris Johnson of Sportsnet:

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has held high-level discussions with the municipal, provincial and federal governments and believes that they are all on board with renovating the six-year-old stadium, according to president and CEO Tim Leiweke. The driving force behind the proposed expansion is a desire to hold major events like the Winter Classic and NHL sources indicate that Toronto is in line to land the signature outdoor game should the building’s capacity be increased.

….

“It fits a lot of needs,” he said. “It renovates it for TFC, it certainly renovates it for the Pan Am Games, it renovates it for rugby. The Grey Cup would be phenomenal in an outdoor setting in Toronto on the lake, but (the Winter Classic is) clearly one of the things we put on the wishlist.

“The city, the province and the feds have all told us it’s important to them from an economic stimulus standpoint because we see what it’s doing to the economy in Detroit now – imagine what would happen in Toronto.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/winter-classic-could-be-coming-to-toronto/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Leiweke, the government money hurdle for phase 3 expansion seems like it has been positively resolved (and for fun, Leiweke drops in a reference to the Grey Cup). This is from Chris Johnson of Sportsnet:

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has held high-level discussions with the municipal, provincial and federal governments and believes that they are all on board with renovating the six-year-old stadium, according to president and CEO Tim Leiweke. The driving force behind the proposed expansion is a desire to hold major events like the Winter Classic and NHL sources indicate that Toronto is in line to land the signature outdoor game should the building’s capacity be increased.

….

“It fits a lot of needs,” he said. “It renovates it for TFC, it certainly renovates it for the Pan Am Games, it renovates it for rugby. The Grey Cup would be phenomenal in an outdoor setting in Toronto on the lake, but (the Winter Classic is) clearly one of the things we put on the wishlist.

“The city, the province and the feds have all told us it’s important to them from an economic stimulus standpoint because we see what it’s doing to the economy in Detroit now – imagine what would happen in Toronto.”

this is article is a year old though. like, actually year, Dec 31 2013

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    Well… then… yeah… I guess my "find" isn't really a "find"… I thought it came out last night

It was a good night though… as you can probably guess from my investigative reporting skills this evening.

Carry on then. Nothing more to see here.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    That almost gave me a heart attack.

Moving on...

argos out.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

….

Oh yeah, that sports facility spending is really driving Detroit into prosperity.

Anyone who ever attended Argos playoff and Grey Cup games at the old CNE Stadium knows it's a stretch to call that sort of game day experience 'phenomenal'. There were some pretty horrible afternoons sitting in the damp, blustery cold that envelops the shoreline in winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

….

Detroit is very different situation.The Pistons don't play in Detroit, they play out in the suburbs. The Winter Classic hockey game last year was not in Detroit, it was played out in the suburbs. The Tigers and Red Wings and Lions do play in the downtown Detroit, there is a difference between CFL Argos and NFL Detroit Lions tho. And anyone who knows Detroit can see its got a lot of huge problems to over come, many sky scrappers are empty, many streets and factories and houses only minutes away from the downtown core are abandon, even go to say a Tigers game, and yes the stadium is nice, there is some nice streets around, but you do not need to go far (walk 5-10 mins away) and you can find some abandon , run down, ghetto neighbourhoods. Population dipped from close to 2 million to under 700,000 people today. Stadiums can pump some money back into neighbourhoods and the city, but sports are not going to save a city. You need people to live in the city, shop in the city and work in the city to get it moving again, bringing fans in the city for a few hours will not be enough. Until the population stops decreasing I think Detroit has a lot to worry about how far will Detroit fall?
    Last edited by james; 01-02-2015 at 03:30 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's difficult to think of one person or entity who has been a greater benefactor to a city's sports scene than Mike Ilitch. He's built a great new stadium for the Tigers, which helped to create the incentive for building Ford Field and draw the Lions away from suburban Pontiac. He's been a driving force around the entertainment district of Greektown. Now he's about to build the Red Wings a fabulous new arena within a creatively-designed surrounding complex. That might help lure the Pistons back into the city core from their own arena in Auburn Hills.

He's put an amazing amount of energy, creativity, persuasion and money into the whole process to try and give some traction to restoring downtown Detroit. His wife and kids have been partners in the whole process as well. How well is this working?

The whole Ilitch empire is up for sale. So sad.

Sports spending on its own is not the economic salvation people think it is. But in a more economically prosperous and viable city like Toronto, I think it is always worthwhile. Unless the spending is for a tenant who is a proven, long-term money loser like the Argos.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 01-04-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    It's difficult to think of one person or entity who has been a greater benefactor to a city's sports scene than Mike Ilitch. He's built a great new stadium for the Tigers, which helped to create the incentive for building Ford Field and draw the Lions away from suburban Pontiac. He's been a driving force around the entertainment district of Greektown. Now he's about to build the Red Wings a fabulous new arena within a creatively-designed surrounding complex. That might help lure the Pistons back into the city core from their own arena in Auburn Hills.

He's put an amazing amount of energy, creativity, persuasion and money into the whole process to try and give some traction to restoring downtown Detroit. His wife and kids have been partners in the whole process as well. How well is this working?

The whole Ilitch empire is up for sale. So sad.

Sports spending on its own is not the economic salvation people think it is. But in a more economically prosperous and viable city like Toronto, I think it is always worthwhile. Unless the spending is for a tenant who is a proven, long-term money loser like the Argos.
    Does anyone think sports spending is a good investment anymore? Haven't enough studies shown that in order for a sports stadium to be successful the market needs to be so big that stadium doesn't make a real difference?

Detroit's problem is that the core and the suburbs are separate cities. The core has no tax base. Maybe the stadiums help a little but amalgamating the suburbs into the city would make the biggest change. But that's not going to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Does anyone think sports spending is a good investment anymore? Haven't enough studies shown that in order for a sports stadium to be successful the market needs to be so big that stadium doesn't make a real difference?

Detroit's problem is that the core and the suburbs are separate cities. The core has no tax base. Maybe the stadiums help a little but amalgamating the suburbs into the city would make the biggest change. But that's not going to happen.
    yup very true.

And as I say, City like Detroit you need hundreds of thousands of people to come back to buy a house and live, shop, eat, pay taxes in the city to make it good, people just visiting for a day or a few hours is not enough. you need 24/7 tenants. Considering the population has dropped every year for probably passed 50 years is hard to tell when that will stop. Can Detroit ever get back on the up swing again? I hope they do, but a few Sports teams won't do it alone that is dam for sure!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit off topic, but I know people always look at Detroit as the poster of like a once thriving city now in decay, abandonment, jobless, poverty, ghetto, I guess all the bad things a city can have, but what people seem to miss is the massive decline in other cities, surprisingly not much worse then Detroit. This is what I found:

Baltimore - 1950 population 949,000, in 2010 around 620,000. 36% Decline
    Newark - 1950 Population 438,000, in 2010 around 277,000. 37% Decline
    Cincinnati - 1950 Population 503,998, in 2010 around 296,000. 41% Decline
    Buffalo - 1950 population 580,000, in 2010 around 270,000. 53% Decline
    Pittsburgh - 1950 population 676,000, in 2010 roughly 305,000. 54% Decline
    Cleveland - 1950 population 914,000, in 2010 roughly 396,00. 56% Decline
    Detroit - 1950 population 1,849,000, in 2010 roughly 713,000. 61% Decline
    St.Louis - 1950 population 856,000, in 2010 roughly 319,000. 62% Decline

maybe think twice sometimes when moving a sports team to a new city. Tho I think only St.Louis tried for a MLS team (who is in just as bad decline as Detroit), and Baltimore only planned to get a team if DC United never got a stadium (who now are going to remain in DC city limits with a bran new stadium!!)
    Last edited by james; 01-05-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article re NFL to London includes comments about ground share with grass not feasible with nfl team and premiership teams.

cant work with their budgets and their weather.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...franchise.html