View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 128 of 163 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,840 of 4872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The last home game I watched on TV had a very good sound in terms of crowd noise.
    wasn't paying attention last game, but I have seen the field mics moved around from time to time. Big difference between stadium to stadium on location of the field mics. I know RDS puts 2 field mics right below the Impact supporters, which I found interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I think they could use a 5 sec delay and then "voice over" anything really obscene with a generic cheer.

Audio guys must love this environment trying to get it right.

I find hockey is the other extreme with too much emphasis on pucks hitting sticks or the sound of blades on ice. To the point that it can become like nails on a chalkboard.

I am probably on the extreme end though in that I would pay for broadcasts that don't have commentators. Just the game with the raw sound of what's going on during play. And no tickers other than the clock and score, it takes up viewable space.
    I know TSN has a 7 second delay for most sports it covers live.
    its sucks because you can't listen to the radio play by play and turn down the tv.

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    I know TSN has a 7 second delay for most sports it covers live.
    its sucks because you can't listen to the radio play by play and turn down the tv.
    Back in the day (when I used an antenna and only got about 3 channels) I would watch hockey games on tv and have the play by play on the radio. It mainly started because the tv signal was often too shitty to pick up the audio. But I loved it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Back in the day (when I used an antenna and only got about 3 channels) I would watch hockey games on tv and have the play by play on the radio. It mainly started because the tv signal was often too shitty to pick up the audio. But I loved it!
    Back in the day when all games were on radio, but few on TV, you'd do this when the game (whatever sport it be) was on TV in French, but not in English.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    The rep says "As far as she knows our seats wont be affected but need confirmation from the final drawings which they dont have yet and if they are gone, they will reach out to us"
    'Reach out'. One of the most laughably lame phrases everrr, one that gets repeatedly dropped by TFC's customer wallet servicers. I googled it and found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqLRd4neGGE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone explain to me who is underwriting TFC's losses this year.
    Some have said the team will lose over $20M this year ... but I think that includes the capital sunk into Defoe and Bradley rights. With Defoe we will probably get most of that back when we sell him in the winter transfer market.
    Assuming just $13M-$14M in extra salary, we will likely have a $10M loss this year.

Who covers that? MLSE? MLS? Who actually owns the equity in the club. Who covers losses & get profits? where is my SSH money going?
    Last edited by Qman; 10-12-2014 at 12:30 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ This year's losses will be easily covered by the rent the Argos pay in the near future and one or two outdoor NHL/AHL hockey matches.

We're going to have to get used to the fact that the BMO Field upgrades aren't intended to benefit TFC directly, but rather to open up other revenue streams at the facility for MLSE as a whole.

Not only that, here's a very plausible scenario we may want to think about:

MLSE could basically shrug their shoulders after 8 seasons and say that they tried their best and that the latest experiment failed. And now because they've invested so much into the club without getting the expected returns, TFC will no longer become a priority for the organization. Basically, they're not going to throw any more money down the well.

I'm not suggesting the club will be sold or the franchise will fold - but TFC would see reduced investment from the parent corporation who becomes more interested in getting as much out of the BMO Field facility as they can - through the aforementioned Argonauts and outdoor hockey games, and probably more rugby as well.

I don't have a crystal ball or anything, but I think the above scenario could very well happen if MLSE feels they've done all that they can for TFC. Obviously, a big factor in their plans will be season ticket sales for 2015.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 10-12-2014 at 01:47 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL teams in Ontario lose money on operations. This has been true since the 60's. If it wasn't for the TV contracts, none of the 3 would survive. As TSN is owned by Bell, there is no reason for Bell or Rogers to get into the operating game.

Now, if the Argos move in under a rental agreement, MLSE is going to charge them a pretty penny to do the turn around from gridiron to soccer. That puts a bit of a damper on the expected revenue jump going from the Dome where they can barely get 18K for a local derby top of the table match to a 30K out in the air experience.

If Braley thought he could make money at it, he'd be staying and the Argos would be in for next season.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question though, who sets the rent price for the Argos? MLSE manages BMO but the City owns it.

Ottawa is playing rent free.

As for the profit discussion in the board room, this spend big on DP strategy will be reviewed as follows:

- impact on ticket sales? Yes. Though recent trend of not using tickets needs to be explored
    - impact on tv ratings? No
    - impact on playoff revenue? No

Will MLSE give up on TFC? No but I don't see the budget being available in the way that it was. And that's ok, it will force the team to build properly as they will have no other choice.

Kristian Jack has a great article up this morning on the type of DP we went after. I marries with my own opinion in that TL's big failure was chasing a name and not a need. I tend to think that we will still have DPs but less expensive ones, the kind Kevin Payne suggested we go after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Question though, who sets the rent price for the Argos? MLSE manages BMO but the City owns it.
    Usually MLSE with City of Toronto giving approval once MLSE reach a deal. According to one report, Argos will pay $110,000 per game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    CFL teams in Ontario lose money on operations. This has been true since the 60's. If it wasn't for the TV contracts, none of the 3 would survive. As TSN is owned by Bell, there is no reason for Bell or Rogers to get into the operating game.

Now, if the Argos move in under a rental agreement, MLSE is going to charge them a pretty penny to do the turn around from gridiron to soccer. That puts a bit of a damper on the expected revenue jump going from the Dome where they can barely get 18K for a local derby top of the table match to a 30K out in the air experience.

If Braley thought he could make money at it, he'd be staying and the Argos would be in for next season.
    According to someone I know who went to the game, 18K is generous number. It was a lot less than 18K at Argo-TiCat game despite being an exciting game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    ^ This year's losses will be easily covered by the rent the Argos pay in the near future and one or two outdoor NHL/AHL hockey matches.

We're going to have to get used to the fact that the BMO Field upgrades aren't intended to benefit TFC directly, but rather to open up other revenue streams at the facility for MLSE as a whole.

Not only that, here's a very plausible scenario we may want to think about:

MLSE could basically shrug their shoulders after 8 seasons and say that they tried their best and that the latest experiment failed. And now because they've invested so much into the club without getting the expected returns, TFC will no longer become a priority for the organization. Basically, they're not going to throw any more money down the well.

I'm not suggesting the club will be sold or the franchise will fold - but TFC would see reduced investment from the parent corporation who becomes more interested in getting as much out of the BMO Field facility as they can - through the aforementioned Argonauts and outdoor hockey games, and probably more rugby as well.

I don't have a crystal ball or anything, but I think the above scenario could very well happen if MLSE feels they've done all that they can for TFC. Obviously, a big factor in their plans will be season ticket sales for 2015.
    scary but true.....like the Jays when they had or have a budget limit , as Beeston whispered earlier this year . And their feeble attempts to get high priced pitchers . And unfortunately they'll keep the team for future rewards to sell when the price is high and they've got their basically free stadium at cost like skydome . This city is a hotbed of monopolies .
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, at least Bud won't be served at BMO Field anymore. Heineken is the new official beer sponsor of MLS

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/m...l-beer-of.html
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Well, at least Bud won't be served at BMO Field anymore. Heineken is the new official beer sponsor of MLS

Just when you thought the beer couldn't get any more expensive!? Good thing I never drink at the games.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't really matter. Coors light is the beer in Montreal, yet Bud sponsored the leauge. MLS is full of that stuff, Fed Ex sponsors TFC, but the game ball is brought to us by Purolator, Allstate is the MLS sponsor, Direct is the TFC insurance company. Teams are free to negotiate their own deals.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't the InBev (Bud) deal directly with MLSE?
    I'm guessing we'll still be Bud venue.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FRANKIE65 View Post
    Just when you thought the beer couldn't get any more expensive!? Good thing I never drink at the games.
    I was just in the Netherlands, could get a 24 of Heineken for 8 euros. Won't get a medium at BMO for that price.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anything is better than the piss that Bud passes as beer.......1 small step forward , wonder what other brands it will allow ?
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll also be happy to see the back of that noise box by the food building.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not TFC related at all, but why can't more teams be like Dortmund?
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29624410

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not TFC related at all, but why can't more teams be like Dortmund?
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29624410
    Why can't we be great?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every team in the world wants to be Dortmund.

Except Bayern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE will never keep the prices of the games that low, but with the new stadium seats they're adding, this might be the perfect time to revise ticket prices to allow for as many people to attend as possible. But TFC couldn't possibly learn from other clubs, could they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Not anymore they won't. With Both Ottawa and Hamilton having new stadiums, which then means more revenue streams. Both ownership groups of Ottawa and Hamilton stated they will now be in the black with the new stadiums and TV deal. Even MLSE has stated the Argos at BMO puts them in the black. I think who ever was saying that BMO is being set up as a multi use rental space is bang on

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East York View Post
    Not anymore they won't. With Both Ottawa and Hamilton having new stadiums, which then means more revenue streams. Both ownership groups of Ottawa and Hamilton stated they will now be in the black with the new stadiums and TV deal. Even MLSE has stated the Argos at BMO puts them in the black. I think who ever was saying that BMO is being set up as a multi use rental space is bang on
    TFC is gonna be the loser low rank team on the BMO field totem pole ... Bottom line , and the games will empty as Fook

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by East York View Post
    Not anymore they won't. With Both Ottawa and Hamilton having new stadiums, which then means more revenue streams. Both ownership groups of Ottawa and Hamilton stated they will now be in the black with the new stadiums and TV deal. ....
    You believe Bob Young?

Oh dear.....you are drinking the kool aid.

And do you have a quote on the MLSE believes the Argos would be in the black at BMO thing, or is that just Larry Tannenbaum's wishful thinking?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Football is part of people's lives and we want to open the doors for all of society. We need the people, they spend their hearts, their emotions with us. They are the club's most important asset."

Quote taken from the above-linked BBC article about Dortmund. Quite profound.

Until MLSE are filling BMO Field's expanded capacity, their best tactic is to offer 'can't-say-no' price points. That's what got them their large fan base for Year One. Constant mis-management is now at the point of costing them that fan base. I would have dumped my season's tickets pre-Leiweke had they not rolled back prices to Day One levels. My wife wants to dump them now.

When it comes to raising ticket prices, they haven't got a leg to stand on at this point, having failed, quite miserably, to make good on promises to make the playoffs. If they've lost money on this past season, they'll just have to eat it and do a better job going forward.

As for the Argos. Have you ever heard high-school age teens discuss the CFL? We've had housefuls of them roll through in recent years, all nuts about the NFL, hockey and all kinds of soccer. Even basketball got its fair share, though the Raptors were so crap for so long. But the CFL? Never. Not once.

The team is rumoured to have sold less than 4,000 season tickets. That's the grand total, not the number of holders. They probably have a waiting list to cancel for next year. The CFL, and I say this sadly having been a staunch Argos fan growing up, is a doomed entity in Toronto.

A move to BMO would undoubtedly create a curiosity factor and there'd be an upward blip in attendance. There's nothing to suggest this brand of sport is trending upward in Southern Ontario. Soccer is quite the opposite.

So, to those doom merchants who think MLSE would think about ceasing to invest in TFC and give the Argos a preference, think again. Soccer has the potential to bring 30 or more events to BMO Field each season. the CFL can offer maybe 10 or 11 and one could hardly expect CFL ticket prices to be so high as to offset the lower game totals.

BMO Field is hardly a solution for the Argos. It's a soccer stadium and, just like at the dome, they'll be fated to being the second-string tenant. Their presence is bound there will again become an irritant for the prime tenant. In this case, the quality of the prime tenant's product will be adversely affected by a torn-up pitch.

They need to find their own home. They need a place where they can showcase the sport properly, show off many decades of history and re-tell the great stories they've had over the years. Create a home not just for the CFL, but for all levels of Canadian football, where college and high school teams can be showcased in big games. The Pan-Am games stadium site would be a good choice.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 10-22-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=greatwhitenorf;1702281]"Football is part of people's lives and we want to open the doors for all of society. We need the people, they spend their hearts, their emotions with us. They are the club's most important asset."

Quote taken from the above-linked BBC article about Dortmund. Quite profound.

We agree. Also liked these other comments:
    "Now If you price people out, you change the atmosphere. If you price people out, it isn't the people's game anymore."
    The club keeps prices low precisely to ensure all areas of society are represented in the crowd.
    "Prices are also going up here and have gone up in recent seasons. But Dortmund is one of the homes of fan culture now, every type of person in this city can afford to go to the stadium," Quambusch adds.
    "Not just the old people or the rich."

Now if only in Canada!
    J&M

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Greatwhitenorf

I liked much of what you said. Your conclusion leaves me scratchingy head as well as this prime vs secondary tenant discussion.

First the conclusion about the Argos needing to find their own home. Seems to me that a team on life support is more likely to rent a facility, like BMO, then fund their own.

If TFC is everything you say it is and means everything you say it does and has all the potential, they clearly have owners that can afford their own stadium. Why isn't MLSE willing to spend 90m (or more) on a soccer only facility? Unlike the Argos, they have the means. So why fuss with BMO at all. It's just a location and wasn't even the first choice location if you look at the history.

As for prime vs secondary, does it matter? I suspect it will flip flop depending on the revenue opportunity. Argos season opener will trump a mid week CCL game. TFC playoff game... sorry is it too soon?.... will trump a late season meaningless Argos game.

The turf is going to be perfect some days and chewed up others. It's inevitable. But they will schedule games around providing the best possible experience for both teams and fan bases. If it helps to think of TFC as the primary tenant, fine. But in the end, what status does that give?