View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 119 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1969109115116117118119120121122123129 ... LastLast
Results 3,541 to 3,570 of 4872
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't the Argos just play on tv? Apparently a lot of people watch them there...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Can't the Argos just play on tv? Apparently a lot of people watch them there...
    Hahaha hahaha Pete for the win!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=462003

Article is about Defoe returning. However, it briefly mentions that an announcement is expected Tuesday regarding BMO renovations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's kind of crazy, how this story just limps along endlessly. Now Braley says getting a deal to play at BMO is a "priority", not a month removed from us thinking this issue was dead again for a while, haha.

It's just getting comical. There's a TSN article saying the CFL itself might even be forced to chip in what was originally the government's contribution, in order to get the Argos in the door at BMO. The present day Argos are pretty much the definition of a pathetic and desperate franchise.

Personally, I'm not 100% closed off to the idea of the Argos playing at BMO Field, if done right (as I've stated many times in the past), but can we plase close the book on this one way or another? It keeps dragging along, and leading to endless speculation.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I've never been against the principle of the idea of ground-sharing (though it seems many people are), but the fact is that BMO Field just isn't an even passable fit for gridiron football. The stadium was built specifically for soccer in mind in almost all respects. The size and dimensions of the playing surface, the size and locations locations of the stands and the interior design of the administration buildings - it's all geared toward soccer. And because of all that, bringing in the Argos and accommodating them means we end up withtwo clubs having to settle for less - and consequently two fan bases losing out as well.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shakes, it isn't a secret why this thing keeps coming back. The City docs that were posted highlighted the phases of the deal. If you look at the terms it's clear that all that has been happening is a negotiation towards a deadline.

For example, I wrote this in July
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    With respect to Phase 3, it doesn't necessarily mean fed or provincial funding is needed to move ahead. It could be from another source (ie CFL or Argos themselves).
    This from the CBC yesterday (http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/cfl/story/1.2768479 )

"CFL commissioner Mark Cohon .... said the league will look at how it could raise the $10-$20 million needed to ensure the third phase went ahead."

Proclaimations from the press of a done or dead deal do the issue a disservice. If the contract allows for it and a business will exists, it will continue to move forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I agree with Shakes. Just wish it was over with one way or another.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm prepared to deal with the stress of this bad penny rearing its ugly head ad infinitum as long as groundshare doesn't happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your emails, TFC just emailed this out, it looks like we might finally get a full detailed plan of what is going to happen to BMO Field.
    Last edited by Narster; 09-18-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no email for me

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    no email for me
    check your junk. I found it there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    It arrived 2 mins after your post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that email just for season seat holders? I'd really like to go, but I don't have seasons.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the midst of the Larson interview with Lieweke we get this bit:

“That’s a commitment that is a legal obligation to the city and the province,” Leiweke said of the CFL possibly coming to BMO Field. “We will honour that commitment.”

Looks like the province will come through with money for some of this.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    Is that email just for season seat holders? I'd really like to go, but I don't have seasons.
    Yes I believe so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post

Season seat holders can bring guests so PM me if you want to go.

We can bring up to 3 apparently....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Looks like Argos at BMO is a certainty.

And this Reno thing is happening, full steam ahead.

Leiweke has stated that construction has already started:

BMO Field will once again be one of the best places to play in Major League Soccer, MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke said.But that doesn’t mean expansion plans won’t include the Toronto Argonauts one day.
    “That’s a commitment that is a legal obligation to the city and the province,” Leiweke said of the CFL possibly coming to BMO Field. “We will honour that commitment.”
    MLSE will be hosting a ground-breaking ceremony of sorts on Tuesday as construction to upgrade BMO Field is already under way.
    I wonder if game day on Sunday will be affected with closed off areas?
    Last edited by Alonso; 09-19-2014 at 07:18 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

the feds don't want to chip in.
    Harper won't give money to sports stadiums.
    I typically don't like Harper's policies.
    But i like this one because it protects TFC's interests.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alonso View Post
    I wonder if game day on Sunday will be affected with closed off areas?
    I was down there a few weekends ago and didn't notice anything major - there was some plywood hoarding running along the fence under the east stands and there was a PCL construction trailer in the parking lot

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    the feds don't want to chip in.
    Harper won't give money to sports stadiums.
    I typically don't like Harper's policies.
    But i like this one because it protects TFC's interests.
    My gut feeling is that the province is gonna pick up the tab. They've made their brand on spending money. Pan am they were hiding a 700M budget, they can find ten. Its done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Folks;

We are forgetting one thing regarding the Argos. They need a new owner. MLSE is not going to buy them because the NFL thing tanked and who wants to own a team that consistently loses $6 to $8 million a year? I don't see anyone banging Braley's door to buy them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Hey Folks;

We are forgetting one thing regarding the Argos. They need a new owner. MLSE is not going to buy them because the NFL thing tanked and who wants to own a team that consistently loses $6 to $8 million a year? I don't see anyone banging Braley's door to buy them.
    That's an exaggeration. Maybe half of that at worst.

On the flip side, Braley pocketed 10M hosting the Grey Cup 2 years ago.

Put this team in a better setup, they will likely break even or better consistently. People like to have fun, watching football, no matter the league, at the Skydome...is not fun. It's quite simple on the surface what needs to be done with this team to return it to profitability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post

Put this team in a better setup, they will likely break even or better consistently. People like to have fun, watching football, no matter the league, at the Skydome...is not fun. It's quite simple on the surface what needs to be done with this team to return it to profitability.
    We'll see how it goes, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't pick up the way they'd like. Too much of a blue collar league in a white collar town that's never really captured anyone's imagination. Skydome might not be perfect, but transportation wise it's superior and it's protected from the elements.

Really this is about city of toronto and MLSE wanting 1) a winter classic 2) no other stadiums in the GTA that can spout competition for their crappy venue. Basically TFC is a bystander and the Argos are a party of convenience. Needless to say I think this whole exercise is bizarre.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    That's dirty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Hey Folks;

At worst case, CFL will run Argos until they find a buyer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree.

It's going to be more expensive for Argos to play at BMO field where they will pay more rent money than they will at Rogers Centre. Also you're limiting seating capacity which means you have to jack up prices which is going make it harder to attract new fans while be able to make a profit (CFL like MLS is gate driven league where ticket sales makes up good chunk of their revenue). Finally, you're risking losing paying customers at BMO field due to weather (outdoor stadium located beside the lake). Remember, it was Argo fans who wanted a dome stadium back in 80's. Returning back to the EX might not be exactly what (some?) Argo fans want and might turn them off of going to games.

BMO field is last chance of saving Argos and if it doesn't work out, then many believe they're done for good. They're taking a huge risk moving to BMO field instead of building their own stadium where they can control and make money running their own place instead of playing second fiddle to soccer team at stadium located same place where their fans hated to watch games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I disagree.

It's going to be more expensive for Argos to play at BMO field where they will pay more rent money than they will at Rogers Centre. Also you're limiting seating capacity which means you have to jack up prices which is going make it harder to attract new fans while be able to make a profit (CFL like MLS is gate driven league where ticket sales makes up good chunk of their revenue). Finally, you're risking losing paying customers at BMO field due to weather (outdoor stadium located beside the lake). Remember, it was Argo fans who wanted a dome stadium back in 80's. Returning back to the EX might not be exactly what (some?) Argo fans want and might turn them off of going to games.

BMO field is last chance of saving Argos and if it doesn't work out, then many believe they're done for good. They're taking a huge risk moving to BMO field instead of building their own stadium where they can control and make money running their own place instead of playing second fiddle to soccer team at stadium located same place where their fans hated to watch games.
    You're thinking long term. Fans don't do that that often or in numbers.

I don't want this to happen. I think I've made that clear but the pic you paint is just the corner of it. While a gate driven league the CFL wants the Argos to survive for TV numbers that far outdo MLS or TFC. Those fans that went to the Ex "mistake by the lake" are not even close to a majority. Almost all the fans left are from the Skydome generation that don't know that mistake by the lake and while it's breezy, BMO is no old Ex stadium. It was a wind tunnel. Argos fans want this. Sports fans want this just because its new. That shine sells.

Why do you think even just today we are reminiscing about those early plastic pitch days when no one cared about results?

But keep it up. I hope more come around to our way of thinking.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braley himself said $5 million.

And when you throw in the fact that the major CFL revenue stream is a Bell division expense line, there is little incentive to own this team.

Move it to BMO and take the rental money for those games? Sure. Move it to BMO and incur the operating costs while not really gaining the TV revenue stream? Not really.

Why own the farm when you can just own the dairy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    I disagree.

Nowhere in my post did I say the Argos should be at BMO field. I said better setup than the Skydome, which is awful for them and their entire brand.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the invite for Tuesday. Probably will head down for a free beer and see what's up with their ground breaking ceremony.