View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 115 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115116117118119125 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,450 of 4872
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed. Our infrastructure deficit to hold the world cup is larger than any Canadian government's willingness to spend to close it (thankfully).

What does FIFA get out of Canada that someone else wouldn't provide more of? It won't be money or exposure....
    We're FIFA's little darlings for staging so many minor or womens' World Cups for them.

Sepp Blatter regularly visit Banff, heading off to an alpine meadow in his lederhosen and running through the wildflowers with his arms spread wide singing "The hills are alive, with the sound of compliance!"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    I will say, from my understanding the Argos are not a part of this at all.
    I wonder if that was a pebble in the shoe of the Rogers members of the MLSE board that's helping propel Leiweke out of town. Rogers want the Argos out of the dome sharpish. Leiweke has been busy setting up BMO renovations, but the Argos aren't a done deal there.

Might that have pissed off the Rogers folk expecting him to get it done so they could do their own renovations at the dome without any further delays or complications?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The BOD of MLSE could have said yes to owning the Argos. LT was all for it, if you read the tea leaves. Bogers wasn't.

When you analyse the Argo cash flow, there are a lot of expenses for game day operations with the major revenue being TV money - TV money that comes from a Bell subsidiary.

Taking 1/9th of a pie that is bought by yourself makes little sense.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed. Our infrastructure deficit to hold the world cup is larger than any Canadian government's willingness to spend to close it (thankfully).

What does FIFA get out of Canada that someone else wouldn't provide more of? It won't be money or exposure....
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    We're FIFA's little darlings for staging so many minor or womens' World Cups for them.

Sepp Blatter regularly visit Banff, heading off to an alpine meadow in his lederhosen and running through the wildflowers with his arms spread wide singing "The hills are alive, with the sound of compliance!"
    The jury is still out on U-20 WWC attendance but remember our U-20 WC was the best attended of its kind. That's nothing to sniff at.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Lawyers have signed paperwork with the city.

Its happening. Announcement next week I suspect. (you want it before a home game and a few weeks before the SSH renewal period starts.
    Also, TL said many times that construction had to start in September this year so they could be on their schedule. I think that was driving it alot too more than the good press for the renewal. It just happens to work out for both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    I wonder if that was a pebble in the shoe of the Rogers members of the MLSE board that's helping propel Leiweke out of town. Rogers want the Argos out of the dome sharpish. Leiweke has been busy setting up BMO renovations, but the Argos aren't a done deal there.

Might that have pissed off the Rogers folk expecting him to get it done so they could do their own renovations at the dome without any further delays or complications?
    Rogers hate for TL was more about TL working more on Raptors/TFC (Bell's interest) instead of Toronto Maple Leafs (winning Leafs team brings huge TV ratings for Rogers who own NHL TV rights). Also you add the fact failed NFL bid (which I am sure played some role here since TL was one who introduce Bon Jovi to Rogers & Larry T) and TL's wife not liking winter here, it was obvious TL was going to leave Toronto.

I highly doubt Argos have anything to do with TL leaving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Rogers hate for TL was more about TL working more on Raptors/TFC (Bell's interest) instead of Toronto Maple Leafs (winning Leafs team brings huge TV ratings for Rogers who own NHL TV rights). Also you add the fact failed NFL bid (which I am sure played some role here since TL was one who introduce Bon Jovi to Rogers & Larry T) and TL's wife not liking winter here, it was obvious TL was going to leave Toronto.

I highly doubt Argos have anything to do with TL leaving.
    There have been a bunch of articles saying, quite simply, Toronto is too small for Tim Leiweke. He's and LA or New York guy. Rogers and Bell wanted him to commit longer term and when he wouldn't do it they thought better to pull the plug now. It's the simplest explanation, but makes the most sense to me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    There have been a bunch of articles saying, quite simply, Toronto is too small for Tim Leiweke. He's and LA or New York guy. Rogers and Bell wanted him to commit longer term and when he wouldn't do it they thought better to pull the plug now. It's the simplest explanation, but makes the most sense to me.
    I'm asking myself how many big splashes Tim could make in this town (or any) before he had to look at a long term build. I don't think that kind of investment works for him. It's un-barker-like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    If that's the case, then TL wouldn't have come to Toronto to begin with. So I don't agree with that one banker's opinion that some people are quoting him and using that excuse for TL.

I think there number of factors why TL is leaving now (or June 2015 at latest), but Toronto being too small for TL isn't one of them.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone else read the Braley article in the Star yesterday?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...wner_says.html

He seems to have a sense of entitlement to the Argos at BMO. I wonder if we're one of those "other aggravations."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Anyone else read the Braley article in the Star yesterday?

http://www.thestar.com/sports/argos/...wner_says.html

He seems to have a sense of entitlement to the Argos at BMO. I wonder if we're one of those "other aggravations."
    We probably one of aggravations, but main one is money ($20 million) to get Argos move into BMO field. I think MLSE is going to be even more careful to not piss off TFC fans now that TL is leaving. The fact Larry T personally called Bez tell him that nothing is going to change tells me MLSE understand how vulnerable situation is when comes to TFC.

It will be interesting to see how MLSE sell idea of Argos moving to BMO field wouldn't hurt soccer experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the bottom line is the argos will play at BMO,nothing we can do about it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The BOD of MLSE could have said yes to owning the Argos. LT was all for it, if you read the tea leaves. Bogers wasn't.

When you analyse the Argo cash flow, there are a lot of expenses for game day operations with the major revenue being TV money - TV money that comes from a Bell subsidiary.

Taking 1/9th of a pie that is bought by yourself makes little sense.
    This is the most absurd statement coming from a fan of ANY MLSE team.
    Even Roger's owned Jays.

Let's see, they are owned by Roger's, Play in the Roger's Centre, the TV rights are bought by Rogers Sportsnet, which then subject people to as much Roger's Cell/Cable/Internet Advertising as there is outs in a baseball game.

The same now goes for Raptors, TFC, and the Leafs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That also led to conversations about a less dramatic deal, including the Argos moving to BMO Field, where Toronto FC plays.
    ^From the star article.

Illustrating that supporters are in the minority opinion and the exact opposite of the majority of fans. I couldn't care less if MLSE bought the Argos to move them to downsview but watch me hold my breath as I trust them to follow through on it.

I'm just glad for the present impasse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    the bottom line is the argos will play at BMO,nothing we can do about it.
    Not true. We can speak with our wallets which is language MLSE understands very well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They need to spend money on the oranization that is trying to build a proffessional competitve TEAM.
    Grans Stadium will not put points in the win column...

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Not true. We can speak with our wallets which is language MLSE understands very well.
    Its like hearding cats man. I know what you are saying, but getting everyone to do it is pretty much impossible.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So city council approves this raptors practice facility (seemingly out of the blue), and the BMO renovation saga drags on.

You'd think they'd keep their SSH's a bit more informed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't stage 1&2 it approved months ago.

Aren't we waiting for cranes and bulldozers for show up in september in the east parking lot after the fair clears out.
    Last edited by Qman; 08-26-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Wasn't stage 1&2 it approved months ago.

Aren't we waiting for cranes and bulldozers for show up in september in the east parking lot after the fair clears out.
    Yep.

people seem upset because there hasn't been a picture yet. So they can complain about what it is going to look like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    So city council approves this raptors practice facility (seemingly out of the blue), and the BMO renovation saga drags on.

You'd think they'd keep their SSH's a bit more informed.
    They've been advertising getting season tickets at the "New BMO" for weeks now. The stadium reno is a done deal.

The informed part would be nice though, I agree. I want to see the stadium pics so I can complain about it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Yep.

people seem upset because there hasn't been a picture yet. So they can complain about what it is going to look like.
    Or salivate over...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as it has a roof in the south to project sound I'm happy. Oh and a supporters gate hahahha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Or salivate over...

It's the internet dude... people will complain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here you go

... actually its the closest real picture i could find to the mock-up drawing in the spring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That actually looks like the presentation drawing. Even has the big screen in the corner.

... looks like the CNE going on behind the stadium

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this whole thing quietly dies with Leiweke's departure. I think his departure has to be part of that.

There is no sponsor for a business case at MLSE for spending $90-120M on BMO expansion without Leiweke at MLSE.

Rogers and Bell write $100M cheques all the time for mature cash flow producing assets, but speculative spends like this? That is not their nature, and the stock market will crucify them if they think that is what they are doing.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke was just on Sportsnet and TSN stating that board has committed $120 million to upgrading the soccer stadium (not one word of football) and construction starts in 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leiweke was interviewed this afternoon on TSN 1050, and he certainly made it sound as though the BMO Field renovation plan is moving forward despite his imminent departure.

Take it for what it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    Leiweke was just on Sportsnet and TSN stating that board has committed $120 million to upgrading the soccer stadium (not one word of football) and construction starts in 2 weeks.
    Beat me to it, LOL.