View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 103 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,090 of 4872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I live East and have only taken the Go Train once.
    The cost of the ticket ($5 each way) isn't worth the hassle of getting to and from the Go Train station.

Would rather drive or bike.
    That's cheap given it cost like $10 one way for people living in the west GTA like Burlington. I think it's too much of hassle to drive to downtown Toronto thanks to all construction going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    That's cheap given it cost like $10 one way for people living in the west GTA like Burlington. I think it's too much of hassle to drive to downtown Toronto thanks to all construction going on.
    $19.60 per person for a round trip from Burlington.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I live in the Beaches. That's why It's easier just to drive in. Probably should've mentioned that one

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not related, but kinda still. Looks like a 35K cricket stadium is being built in the GTA:
    http://www.blogto.com/city/2014/07/m...ng_to_the_gta/

How the fuck can't the Argo's get their shit together while everyone else seems to be doing just fine?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the argos have been living in there parents basement for 100 years,its time to get your own place.jezzz

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cas87 View Post
    Exactly, get all the ground work done before the ground is frozen solid or unworkable. As long as the structure is set in a reasonable amount of time, MLSE will make sure the rest is done efficiently and well.
    Well enough to ensure it only needs $30m in repairs after 8 years

I know I wouldn't be hiring them to help with a kitchen reno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not related, but kinda still. Looks like a 35K cricket stadium is being built in the GTA:

How the fuck can't the Argo's get their shit together while everyone else seems to be doing just fine?
    What bothers me most about this, is I've heard this being mentioned for Brampton... A city that lost it's Minor Hockey Team to North Bay a city 1/10th the size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is not real. Somebody royally f***ed this reporter.
    Even the top IPL teams couldn't raise money for this type of stadium. And they can pay their players $5m for 2months work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do remember something mentioned about cricket, but nothing like a 35k stadium. Just doesn't make sense. There is no real pro cricket league over here, i just think maybe this is some pipe dream with no real grounds. I don't know how real this stadium deal is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    What bothers me most about this, is I've heard this being mentioned for Brampton... A city that lost it's Minor Hockey Team to North Bay a city 1/10th the size.
    Hockey outside of the Leafs in the GTA struggles, this has been obvious for at least well over a decade now. Doesn't matter if you have a population of 700,000 like Mississauga, a small town/city far enough from the GTA will generally do well, you get in that GTA region area and people seem to only support the pro teams. There is a lot of competition for money and entertainment in the city, and I hate it but its true people are only interested in the big sports. Its not Hockey they love in Toronto, its the NHL they love. I have no doubt a 2nd NHL team would do well in the GTA, but a AHL or OHL team I never have much faith in ever doing well even if its in downtown Toronto, the so called Hockey universe, and that has pretty much been proven already.

Brampton for Cricket is a different story then Hockey. With Brampton's Indian and Pakistan population (where Cricket is huge) it really isn't a surprise that Brampton would be the first choice for a Cricket location. But even so, its just seems crazy to think they could handle a 35k stadium, overall Cricket is a very niche market in the GTA as a whole, In London, England the famous oval ground only fits 23,500 where Cricket is rather popular, the biggest cricket ground in England is 30k, so how the hell would a 35k stadium work in Toronto? Seems like it would be doomed to fail and be an empty building in the long run. Now a 10k Cricket field might make more sense to me.
    Last edited by james; 07-09-2014 at 12:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    the argos have been living in there parents basement for 100 years,its time to get your own place.jezzz
    So true!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money of that amount comes from sources who can invest anywhere in the world.

If I'm investing $750 million in a cricket stadium, it ain't in Canada.

I don't believe anything about that report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Money of that amount comes from sources who can invest anywhere in the world.

If I'm investing $750 million in a cricket stadium, it ain't in Canada.

I don't believe anything about that report.
    200,000 South Asian's in Brampton, 150,000 in Mississauga, 125-150,000 in Scarborough. That is 500,000 people. Assume 10% will go just because it is funded buy non-canadians and at least 10% that will go because they really like cricket and miss seeing it live.

It isn't inconceivable you can put 20,000 in on a regular basis. And Max it out for friendlies

However I think it is a dumb idea, as the "league" I don't think has a talent pool to support a 35,000 seat stadium... or the popularity to be successful on the scale that would require sure a stadium.

But hey.. maybe the Argos can play in it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody is going to watch Canadian T20. And you can't make that much money back on Test matches, 50 Over or T20 neutral games.

My point is that amount of money can buy you a much larger more profitable stadium in India or even a decent sized more profitable one in Australia.

Its not happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nobody is going to watch Canadian T20. And you can't make that much money back on Test matches, 50 Over or T20 neutral games.

My point is that amount of money can buy you a much larger more profitable stadium in India or even a decent sized more profitable one in Australia.

Its not happening.
    I don't know enough to argue the point.. and more so I want you to be right..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200,000 South Asian's in Brampton, 150,000 in Mississauga, 125-150,000 in Scarborough. That is 500,000 people. Assume 10% will go just because it is funded buy non-canadians and at least 10% that will go because they really like cricket and miss seeing it live.

It isn't inconceivable you can put 20,000 in on a regular basis. And Max it out for friendlies

However I think it is a dumb idea, as the "league" I don't think has a talent pool to support a 35,000 seat stadium... or the popularity to be successful on the scale that would require sure a stadium.

But hey.. maybe the Argos can play in it.
    Don't forget about people from former British colonies (like those from Caribbean) where Cricket is also very popular. I would say there's close to one million people who have ties to cricket in GTA. So having cricket stadium in GTA makes sense (probably more sense than Argos having their own stadium). This stadium isn't only for Canadian cricket, but also to hold major cricket games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget about people from former British colonies (like those from Caribbean) where Cricket is also very popular. I would say there's close to one million people who have ties to cricket in GTA. So having cricket stadium in GTA makes sense (probably more sense than Argos having their own stadium). This stadium isn't only for Canadian cricket, but also to hold major cricket games.
    they could also host an Australian Rules Football game too!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    they could also host an Australian Rules Football game too!!!
    Yup. This is true as well.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally the plans for the new BMO stadium are out!!!

EVERYBODY's HAPPY!
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because the subject of cricket has been brought up, I just found this online: http://cplt20.ca/

It doesn't look like there's a lot of money behind this, but I bet a Canadian domestic league could see at least some moderate success if they can find the right venues and get good sponsors.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know many people including myself are either from England, or there parents are from England, and none of them play it over here. Same goes for the many people who live here but are originally from the carribean's and India and Pakistan or there parents and exc are, despite many people having routes to Cricket, not that many still play it over here. It is a rather niche market. Not to say there isn't an interest in the sport, but 35k stadium? thats crazy. We don't even have a proper pro league. Also look at it this way.....how many people in the GTA are from a country where Soccer is HUGE....probably millions, now how many people have parents or grandparents who are from a country where Soccer is HUGE!!! I mean its got to be well over half of the entire population in the GTA. Now how many of them watch soccer games such as the premiership on TV? I think it is in the few hundred thousand maybe from stats I saw. Now how many go to TFC games? 20,000 sometimes, sometimes 17,000, We have had as few as 10,000 for Concacaf Champions League games in the passed. How many people watch TFC on TV? I believe less then 100,000 on average, but can get as high as I think 200,000. My point is tho, the way the numbers appear we should get sell outs every games and we should have more then 1million viewers watching soccer every weekend, but we don't. I can't explain it, but the numbers of people vs viewership and attendance never seem to make a whole lot of sense, and this is a world thing not just a Toronto thing. Just a 35k cricket stadium in Toronto sounds more crazy then say Toronto FC building a 35k stadium in 1990...when there was no MLS. MLS was founded in 93, And took many years to get where it is today, I mean the league was taking baby steps in the 90's, and so would a cricket league, you don't go from 0 to 100 in a snap of the fingers. At least I would have some serious doubts anyways.
    Last edited by james; 07-09-2014 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at the demographics of Brampton... Although 35k is outlandish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live East and have only taken the Go Train once.
    The cost of the ticket ($5 each way) isn't worth the hassle of getting to and from the Go Train station.
    It's not $5 each way if you tap on for your return trip less than 3 hours after you tap on for the start of your first trip.

Looking at my Presto Transactions for a return trip from Danforth GO to Exhibition GO. The first trip was $4.82. The return trip home was $0.14. That's a round trip for $4.96 or $2.48 a trip. That's cheaper than TTC or parking.

You do have to time things tightly though ... and tap on as soon as the game is finished, even if you have to wait almost 30 minutes for a train.

I live in the Beaches. That's why It's easier just to drive in. Probably should've mentioned that one
    My gosh, how is the Gardiner these days on game days? It's nightmare enough at 6:45 AM or 10 PM on a weekday when I've tried driving to Dufferin - times that used to have no congestion.

Wouldn't it be faster just to drive to a side-street just south-west of Danforth station? (personally I hate driving to games - takes away the freedom to have a second beer - fortunately I can walk to Danforth).
    Last edited by nfitz; 07-09-2014 at 10:30 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    It's not $5 each way if you tap on for your return trip less than 3 hours after you tap on for the start of your first trip.

Looking at my Presto Transactions for a return trip from Danforth GO to Exhibition GO. The first trip was $4.82. The return trip home was $0.14. That's a round trip for $4.96 or $2.48 a trip. That's cheaper than TTC or parking.

You do have to time things tightly though ... and tap on as soon as the game is finished, even if you have to wait almost 30 minutes for a train.

My gosh, how is the Gardiner these days on game days? It's nightmare enough at 6:45 AM or 10 PM on a weekday when I've tried driving to Dufferin - times that used to have no congestion.

Wouldn't it be faster just to drive to a side-street just south-west of Danforth station? (personally I hate driving to games - takes away the freedom to have a second beer - fortunately I can walk to Danforth).
    That is one quick turn around, which I almost never would do if you consider heading up to Joe's, hanging around the stadium catching up with people etc.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1383...ancing-secured

International and local investors continue to be sought to raise the necessary financing for the inaugural season and beyond. Singh is seeking to raise $10 million for a 49 per cent equity stake in the Canadian Premier League T20 (CPLT20), which is structured as a Limited Partnership and has various tax benefits to investors.

If they can't find people to invest $10 million to start their first season how did they get $700 million to build a stadium?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What is equally amazing is that they looked to have secured $700m in funds without a dime of corporate welfare.

I guess MLSE is incapable of raising that amount of cash on their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that IS a stunning looking stadium with a real roof and a perfect one for a T.O. climate! forget the Argo's why can't TFC get a stadium like that instead of a cobbled together Meccano set with a potential after-thought roof?!?!
    Last edited by backbeat; 07-10-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    Not that IS a stunning looking stadium with a real roof and a perfect one for a T.O. climate! forget the Argo's why can't TFC get a stadium like that instead of a cobbled together Meccano set with a potential after-thought roof?!?!
    MLSE + $700 mil = hahahahahahahaha nope

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    What is equally amazing is that they looked to have secured $700m in funds without a dime of corporate welfare.

I guess MLSE is incapable of raising that amount of cash on their own.
    Keep in mind that I seem to recall a few years ago CBSA or Revenue Canada or who ever it is that handled Immigration, having to start being more through with Applications as people were fubbing their banking records and income levels with the help of brokers. iirc Deportations occurred (though not many). I feel bad saying but everything I have seen when it comes to Financial numbers from that part of the world is there is often a Publicly stated number and an actual number.

For all we know $700 Million is just the net worth of the people involved not what they are actually willing to commit, or any number of things that make that number as useful as Jail made out of Jello Cubes in the summer. It also could be totally accurate. But I can't see spending $700 Million on a 35,000 seat stadium. The New baseball stadium in Miami cost 650 Million.. and that is with a Retractable Roof.

They are talking about a super high end stadium, for a sport that has a limited fan base in Canada, has no television deal, and no real league.

The more you learn about it the less likely it seems and the more it sounds like some form of Insurance fraud or money Laundering deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If this happens I will be flabbergasted.

MLSE should hitch a ride on this train and demolish BMO.

BMO doesn't even come close to competing with this stadium.