View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 139 of 163 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,170 of 4872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    The same owners of the prairie/western teams that have hosted 15 of the last 20 Grey Cups? 19 of the last 25? I'm sure they realize it's the east's turn to host a few and maybe actually fix that "rotation".
    And I'm sure the Yankees, being tired of winning too often, will just let the other teams have a few. He has a valid point, how much are those doing the economic lifting going to be willing to line up to help the laggards?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    And I'm sure the Yankees, being tired of winning too often, will just let the other teams have a few. He has a valid point, how much are those doing the economic lifting going to be willing to line up to help the laggards?
    Well ask yourself this. If the heavy lifters don't have laggards to play against, is there a TV contract? Is there even a league?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Well ask yourself this. If the heavy lifters don't have laggards to play against, is there a TV contract? Is there even a league?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some interesting pictures of the construction taken yesterday on the Inebriatti Facebook page. I'd post them here but I can't post pics from my phone here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting, I just got them up at UT. You're quick!
    I was going to upload them yesterday but I couldn't from my phone so I only put them on the Inebriatti FB page.
    I got a few more shots on Flickr. Check them out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the photos!! Although a little depressing to look at from a transplanted Ontarian's perspective... Damn you Alberta (snow).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But we're not talking about their existence, that's not in question. We're talking about a stadium where other alternatives exist, some of which include not sticking your hand into the other guys pocket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But we're not talking about their existence, that's not in question. We're talking about a stadium where other alternatives exist, some of which include not sticking your hand into the other guys pocket.
    Aren't we talking about their existence? Every league that has folded from NASL to the USFL and the WHA had some teams that were successful but not enough to keep a full league going. Wouldn't that happen to MLS, too?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Aren't we talking about their existence? Every league that has folded from NASL to the USFL and the WHA had some teams that were successful but not enough to keep a full league going. Wouldn't that happen to MLS, too?
    I don't think we were talking about the Argos existence. While their new owner is still forthcoming I think this was just about where they play next year and if it will affect us at BMO.

The question of the Argos being necessary to the league doesn't really enter into this, really. If there is admission there were no bids or offers for ownership than perhaps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The second I see gridiron lines I'm done. It's just too grotesque to endure.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What other alternatives though? They mentioned maybe building their own but to secure financing, a site, approvals all by the time the Jays kick them out? I see that as bluster

BMO is the most feasible.

I do agree with you about pockets though. MLSE should be keeping theirs out of the taxpayers. Argos or no Argos this government welfare request is BS as far as I am concerned.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pan Am Games stadium site at York U.

Excellent footprint of land that provides better access for the bulk of Argo fans, who are not residents of the 416, new TTC subway station opening nearby, close to Hwy 400 and 407, parking galore for tailgating. Public funding can be justified as solidifying the PanAm games 'legacy', especially since it's at a university location and the stands can be designed to retract and allow track and field events.

It would give the Argos, York U's football team and Canadian football itself a facility they could make a proper home out of and bring in other levels of football - amateur, high school - for showcase games. It would also give track and field a proper showcase site. Well, maybe not for the javelin toss if it's artificial turf, and it would be.

Cost could be kept reasonable since you'd need a similar sort of build that BMO Field now features - one side as the main stand with dressing rooms, training facilities, offices and suites or club seating. Other side could be basic metal stands. No need for end zone seating. CFL field is too long to make those seats worthwhile and Argos don't have a big enough fan base to warrant it.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 12-03-2014 at 05:46 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post

Excellent footprint of land that provides better access for the bulk of Argo fans, who are not residents of the 416, new TTC subway station opening nearby, close to Hwy 400 and 407, parking galore for tailgating. Public funding can be justified as solidifying the PanAm games 'legacy', especially since it's at a university location and the stands can be designed to retract and allow track and field events.

It would give the Argos, York U's football team and Canadian football itself a facility they could make a proper home out of and bring in other levels of football - amateur, high school - for showcase games. It would also give track and field a proper showcase site. Well, maybe not for the javelin toss if it's artificial turf, and it would be.

Cost could be kept reasonable since you'd need a similar sort of build that BMO Field now features - one side as the main stand with dressing rooms, training facilities, offices and suites or club seating. Other side could be basic metal stands. No need for end zone seating. CFL field is too long to make those seats worthwhile and Argos don't have a big enough fan base to warrant it.
    Great site (and I would love to see where TFC's fan base actually lives).

Challenges

- funding already secured and construction done (or almost done)
    - only seats 5,000 with up to 12,500 with temporary (end zone) seating
    - Retrofit of McGill Stadium cost over $31M.
    - no public support to retrofit another stadium in Toronto with public funds, especially one that has already been approved

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That field is really far away from the stands! I love the idea but agree that the challenges listed above would be tough to over come.
    Last edited by akoto; 12-03-2014 at 09:22 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    The same owners of the prairie/western teams that have hosted 15 of the last 20 Grey Cups? 19 of the last 25? I'm sure they realize it's the east's turn to host a few and maybe actually fix that "rotation".
    Buddy, just a reminder I'm a Ti-Cat fan. I do know a thing or two about the Grey Cup and where it goes and why.

$

Always about $.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by akoto View Post

That field is really far away from the stands! I love the idea but agree that the challenges listed above would be tough to over come.
    lol @ mini commonwealth.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post

Quote Originally Posted by akoto View Post

Looking at the stands the main challenge is the stands where the locker rooms and all the 'set' ammenities will be and getting it closer to the field.
    The temp stands for both endzones and the other side of the field can be modified (retractable if you please in order to keep them in play for football and any track that Toronto wants to host in the future.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great site (and I would love to see where TFC's fan base actually lives).

Challenges

- funding already secured and construction done (or almost done)
    - only seats 5,000 with up to 12,500 with temporary (end zone) seating
    - Retrofit of McGill Stadium cost over $31M.
    - no public support to retrofit another stadium in Toronto with public funds, especially one that has already been approved
    If Argos and CFL are willing to pay $20 million to become second tenant of BMO field, then another extra $10 million wouldn't be an issue if they want have complete control (revenue) and become primary tenant.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    If Argos and CFL are willing to pay $20 million to become second tenant of BMO field, then another extra $10 million wouldn't be an issue if they want have complete control (revenue) and become primary tenant.
    They aren't willing though.

Province is willing to kick in $10M. Which leaves a $10M gap… assuming MLSE doesn't waive the shortfall.

Feds might but a back up would be giving MLSE an extra rotation on the Grey Cup train. They seem to net the host $8-10M.

Let's not forget that MLSE wants 40,000 seats to satisfy the NHL's demands for Winter Classics. If they go ahead without CFL configurations, they never get Grey Cups. Maybe they can live without them but if you can live without them you don't extend the Argos a Lease Offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They aren't willing though.

Province is willing to kick in $10M. Which leaves a $10M gap… assuming MLSE doesn't waive the shortfall.

Feds might but a back up would be giving MLSE an extra rotation on the Grey Cup train. They seem to net the host $8-10M.

Let's not forget that MLSE wants 40,000 seats to satisfy the NHL's demands for Winter Classics. If they go ahead without CFL configurations, they never get Grey Cups. Maybe they can live without them but if you can live without them you don't extend the Argos a Lease Offer.
    Actually, Province haven't kicked in any money while CFL keeps saying they need $15-20 million recently to get into BMO field along with lease agreement with MLSE.

MLSE can easily come up with $20 million if they want to, but they don't want to because Argos situation. I bet you any money if Argos were staying at Rogers Centre or find a permanent home, then MLSE will come up with $20 million themselves add 10,000 more seats for Winter Classic.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is stopping the Grey Cup from being at the Skydome regardless of if the Argo's use BMO or get their own place or are playing at bloody Lamport (extended, I know a CFL field is longer) ? They can rent it out for 1 event like a concert would no?

Anyhoo, I'm with Blixa and a few others, the second I see grid iron lines or plastic pitch and I'm done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    What is stopping the Grey Cup from being at the Skydome regardless of if the Argo's use BMO or get their own place or are playing at bloody Lamport (extended, I know a CFL field is longer) ? They can rent it out for 1 event like a concert would no?

Anyhoo, I'm with Blixa and a few others, the second I see grid iron lines or plastic pitch and I'm done.
    I can't believe how stupid MLSE is being on this whole issue. They're playing with fire with this Argo/CFL thing and underestimating TFC fanbase who (let's be real honest) are more "authentic" soccer fans compare to rest of MLS fanbase that wouldn't accept this grid iron line and fake turf crap.

I personally don't buy City is forcing MLSE since MLSE can easily not pay for renovation at all since they don't even own building and make city pay for Argos move to BMO field themselves which City will never do.
    Last edited by TFC07; 12-03-2014 at 02:14 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Actually, Province haven't kicked in any money while CFL keeps saying they need $15-20 million recently to get into BMO field along with lease agreement with MLSE.

MLSE can easily come up with $20 million if they want to, but they don't want to because Argos situation. I bet you any money if Argos were staying at Rogers Centre or find a permanent home, then MLSE will come up with $20 million themselves add 10,000 more seats for Winter Classic.
    As for the Province, they are (as good as) in… as quoted back in September:

The province is still considering chipping in, according to a spokesperson for Michael Coteau, the provincial Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport.

“Our government is always open to exploring opportunities that will enhance Ontario’s profile as a premier destination for sporting events. As you know, the provincial government has received a request to consider support for the BMO Field expansion. BMO Field is owned by the City of Toronto. We are currently reviewing the request and determining how we might work with the City to support this project,” said Blane McPhail in an email.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe how stupid MLSE is being on this whole issue. They're playing with fire with this Argo/CFL thing and underestimating TFC fanbase who (let's be real honest) are more "authentic" soccer fans compare to rest of MLS fanbase that wouldn't accept this grid iron line and fake turf crap.

I personally don't buy City is forcing MLSE since MLSE can easily not pay for renovation at all since they don't even own building and make city pay for Argos move to BMO field themselves which City will never do.
    What have they ever done that would make you expect something different now?

And I think by now we have to give up on this idea that there is a more authentic fanbase in Toronto than elsewhere in MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We went past BMO Field to the One of a Kind Show today and I got some pics of the construction. Can't figure out how to insert the pics on here, but they are on my twitter page: @StephGunther

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The subject of gridiron lines keeps coming up. I wouldn't worry about that. Seattle solved it with special paint. That's what should be the expectation here.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post

I believe the issue is that as of 2017, they will have grass and therefore unable/unwilling to move the stands back to a football configuration. Now, they might be able to do it whenever a re-sodding is done (pull up the grass in Oct, assuming no baseball playoffs, lay turf or new sod, play grey cup, fix/repair/re-sod for April) but it would be an added cost that may be prohibitive.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main grandstand on the far side of this pitch would require rebuilding to accommodate all the amenities I listed earlier. That is the only permanent structure planned for this stadium. Every other stand you see in this image is a temporary structure.

Which is great, because they'll come out leaving a largely blank canvas to work from. For starters. new stands would need to be built on both sides and they can include properly retractable or removable sections to reveal the track when needed. And it's not like a lot of seats are coming down to field level like in a soccer stadium. Football fans want the front rows to be elevated to see over the behemoths on the sidelines and their clouds of steamy breath. So leave the far side as is and build a better stand on the near side. Endzone seating is unnecessary. If the Argos can get 20,000 seats between the goal lines, they'll be off to a good start.

As for the issue of public support, there's probably a strong case to be made that a new facility needs to be created up at York that can add to the Pan Am legacy and give Olympic aspirants another site to access for training and competition. Varsity is hardly a world class facility and events there have to cope with U of T's priority on intramural usage needs. The York fieldhouse has long been a focal point for athletics training and development. That's where Charlie Francis made Ben Johnson.

It's not like BMO Field's latest expansion is causing much public anguish. It's being paid largely for by MLSE and will generate revenue. Giving the Argos a proper pity fuck by chucking some bucks their way, especially if Braley and/or the CFL to chip in, isn't going to generate a shitstorm of controversy. Give the Argos their own home, just like the Alouettes have in Montreal. Everyone will be happier and more successful in the long run.
    Last edited by greatwhitenorf; 12-03-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The subject of gridiron lines keeps coming up. I wouldn't worry about that. Seattle solved it with special paint. That's what should be the expectation here.
    seattle solved the chewed up grass by ... oh right