View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 77 of 163 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,310 of 4872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    by most accounts the paint at Clink is designed to come off as easy as possible, it was developed specifically to be able to be removed. the issue in this situation with the Playoff came is one of the 8 Seahawks regular season games were scheduled and the Playoff game was scheduled to be played too close togeather.

If TFC is the primary tenant then they would have scheduling priority..

however I have not found anything consistent about temporary grass paint. It will have an effect either TFC games will have CFL lines on them or Argo games will of Soccer lines... there is no chance of that not happening at some point. Of course if it does the question is are the soccer lines in White and the CFL lines in Yellow.

17 MLS games, 2 Canadian Championship (or more as more teams compete), 2-5 Champions League and 4 potential play off games.

23 week CFL season (9 regular games and 2-3 potential play off games(maybe none)) plays through up to 15 TFC games (8-9 MLS regular season games, 2 Champions League and 4 portential Play-off games.)

The MLS season is locked in earlier then the CFL obviously, as such the CFL should be able to schedule the Argo home games primarily while we are on the road.

Champions League games are usually on a weekday and we know about when they are so it shouldn't be too much to make sure the Argos games are scheduled away around those periods.

It is totally possible that neither team need play at home on the same week.. and if they do the Argos would likely be on a Tuesday or something giving time to repair any damage and make sure the lines are right. Though it is Champions League and play off games that are most likely to cause issue.

The only other issue... is making sure MLS dosen't schedule a Conference Final game at BMO the same weekend as a Grey Cup. (we'd have to have be away that weekend)

The major issue comes from can grassmaster really handle 18 weeks or so of weekly usage... it apparently do really well in Philly, and had to be totally removed from Pittsburgh.

Honestly the idea of a Grey Cup and a MLS cup both held at BMO a a few weeks apart... that is kinda massive.
    I want no CFL Gridlines on our field what so ever, no matter what. I wouldn't stay if there was.

Well Grey Cups are planned way in advance, I guess issue tho in MLS is currently one of the 2 finalists (I believe the team with higher points) hosts the final, so you wouldn't know if Toronto is hosting the final or not at the beginning of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more I think about it the more i just start to hate pointy ball. Why do they need so much dam lines every where? its hard to get off and then the players also just destroy it, just ruins every field. Awful sport!

And why are the Argos such a pain in the ass. Its like no one really wants them to play in there stadium. Jays are kicking them out, but why do we all of a sudden have to take them in? can't we just say no? they can go find your own stadium. I am sure they can figure it out. I'm sure Vaghan, Mississauga or Milton would love a team. Or some other location in Toronto, they can play in Hamilton in the mean time while they get there shit together. They just need a little push and im sure they will get there. They have been mothered to much for to long, lol
    Last edited by james; 03-24-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    The bottom pick reminds me of the San Fran stadium in the days of Joe Montana kicking up dust from the baseball diamond. That was decades later.
    or like in Oakland 6 months ago

http://prod.images.raiders.clubs.nfl...960&height=720

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The city can't force the Argos on MLSE but can force MLSE to deal with the Argos as a tenant. However, the city gets more cash if all that is done amicably.

The Argos don't have to go to BMO. In theory, they could go somewhere else. But, until a municipality comes together with a $100-$150 million or so for a CFL stadium, the only available choice is BMO. Braley likely has been putting out feelers from Milton to Stouffville to Whitby to see if any municipality is willing to bite on that without takers. He is NOT going to put up $100 million himself.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaahuuu View Post
    Bush league.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The city can't force the Argos on MLSE but can force MLSE to deal with the Argos as a tenant. However, the city gets more cash if all that is done amicably.

The Argos don't have to go to BMO. In theory, they could go somewhere else. But, until a municipality comes together with a $100-$150 million or so for a CFL stadium, the only available choice is BMO. Braley likely has been putting out feelers from Milton to Stouffville to Whitby to see if any municipality is willing to bite on that without takers. He is NOT going to put up $100 million himself.

Good point. Especially if MLSE are also asking for Gov money. If they didn't, maybe it would be different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Well TV ratings might disagree.

The season opener vs Seattle drew 299,000 viewers (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...224738156.html). That's a 15% increase over the season opener last year.

Some might conclude that's great. Practically speaking, it meant that the buzz created by $90M worth of big name player investment resulted in 39,000 more viewers. It was the highest total since 2011 but not the highest on record.

By contrast, the Jays season opener drew 1.27M.
    http://bellmediapr.ca/Network/TSN/Pr...s-Home-Opener-

TFC’s 1-0 win over DC United attracted a record average audience of 352,000 viewers, making it the most-watched MLS game ever on English television in Canada
    that's an 18% jump from last week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    It shows you there's market for soccer in this country. Good Toronto soccer team will bring ratings! Hopefully the ratings keeps on going up in the future.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Don't get caught up in percents on a low base. Numbers are good… for MLS.

When they beat the Argos in tv audience, then it will be a bloody big deal.

Check ensco's post regarding TL and the LA situation. Very similar story lines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV ratings is one thing, but there's mobile/internet streaming now which doesn't get factor into interest. I would love to see what interest for TFC is online compare to other clubs around the league and Toronto sports market.

Based on TV ratings, TFC is same or even above level of Toronto Raptors now, but we all know no one is going to talk about TFC as much as Raptors in our streets, offices etc in Toronto though. TV ratings is just ONE factor to determine interest of a club.
    Last edited by TFC07; 03-24-2014 at 04:25 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regular season CFL games top out near a million for regular season games.

http://bellmediapr.ca/Network/TSN/Pr...ason-on-Record

And yet the Argos have issues drawing crowds.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All perspective isn't it? If the Argos played at BMO, they'd be sold out for virtually every game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All perspective isn't it? If the Argos played at BMO, they'd be sold out for virtually every game.
    Have you ever been to Argos game (especially in recent years) before? I post other sports forum where posters who went to Argo games admit there's no way they have 20K people at their games.

If you know Argos history, then you will know they left Exhibition place because weather. Now they're coming back to same place. Hopefully this time, they don't whine about weather like they have in the past especially in October and November.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regular season CFL games top out near a million for regular season games.

http://bellmediapr.ca/Network/TSN/Pr...ason-on-Record

And yet the Argos have issues drawing crowds.
    Scary part is that Argos are winning team but yet they have trouble with attendance and general public interest in the city. I understand if they had attendance problem because they were a losing team, but that isn't case though. So winning isn't going to solve their attendance woes, so now, they banking on getting a new home to improve on their attendance while gaining more public interest in Toronto.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We understand the importance of the stadium for TFC and how different things would be if they'd started in Rogers Centre and still played there - so we should understand the importance of the stadium for the Argos. The CFL has found its level, it's not going to get any more popular but it will probably keep the numbers it has now for a long time. Montreal, Ottawa, Hamilton will all have new or renovated stadiums about the same size and BMO will fit in perfectly with them.

The problem is that MLSE have no vision for TFC or what they could become in this city. By now a well-run TFC would have outgrown BMO and be moving on to a proper stadium and we wouldn't be having any of these issues.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am not an Argos fan and have never been to a game.

Yet to hear someone knocking them for lack of general interest in the city when their average tv audience is almost double what TFC's record viewing audience is.. well that's just funny.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

BR, very well said and well expressed on the posts re NFL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You think with that TV audience they could get a couple of investors to build them a 17k-20k stadium. I would love to know if its a stadium issue, or transit being absolute crap and fans not willing to go far for Argo games, Im curious about the breakdown of the T.V audience for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not an Argos fan and have never been to a game.

Yet to hear someone knocking them for lack of general interest in the city when their average tv audience is almost double what TFC's record viewing audience is.. well that's just funny.
    You know Argos play in Canadian league against Canadian teams, right? How many people are watching Argos because of Argos not because other team?

Just looking at local media coverage and talking to people in the city, how many them mention Argos? How many people do you know own an Argos jersey or cap? How many people do you know even go to Argo games? When was the last time you heard anyone talking about Argos at work or school?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You think with that TV audience they could get a couple of investors to build them a 17k-20k stadium. I would love to know if its a stadium issue, or transit being absolute crap and fans not willing to go far for Argo games, Im curious about the breakdown of the T.V audience for them.

There isn't much money to make from owning a CFL team in Toronto where there's a lot of competition. Building a stadium for a team that only plays 8-10 games per year isn't smartest thing to do unless you have other tenants (usually having a soccer team since it cheap and ROI is good if you can get people coming to the games).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually they can force the Argo's on MLSE... or at least BMO.

City owns the stadium. MLSE just manages it. As such Council has the right to say.. sure we are happy to let you do this major renovation but only if CFL is in mind no CFL no approval.

MLSE then says.. to do that the whole stadium needs to be torn down and rebuilt to keep the bowl design that Soccer fans want, or we tear out the north and south stands (including the stage) and put in high quality retractable seating to preserve the atmosphere for soccer and put in a stronger more expensive surface for both teams. That will cost $30 more then our original plans, we will take on $90 million and any over runs, and you and/or the Argos can take on the rest.

"crickets from the Argos"

MLSE goes to Council and says well here is a suggestion to help limit the cost, 10 million from you, 10 million from the province and 10 million from the feds, and it's ready in time of Rugby to be played in the middle of the TFC season during the Pan Am games next year and the Argos can start their tenancy in the 2016 season.

MLSE wants the Winter Classic so they want the bigger stadium.

The Argos may be on the purchase block down the road, but currently they do not own them. It's a little like saying you have a long term lease on a parking spot in the city, the spot isn't paved, and you say hey, every spring it's a night mare, why don't I pay to pave it and the city says well only if a electrical outlet for a block heater is installed. You say sure, if you are willing to pay for it, I'll over see that, I don't have a block heater in my car.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    You know Argos play in Canadian league against Canadian teams, right? How many people are watching Argos because of Argos not because other team?

Just looking at local media coverage and talking to people in the city, how many them mention Argos? How many people do you know own an Argos jersey or cap? How many people do you know even go to Argo games? When was the last time you heard anyone talking about Argos at work or school?
    It really doesn't matter who they are cheering for, as long as they are watching. But if you look at local ratings the Argos are doing fine.

Argos are in the media all the time during their season - I'd really love to see you prove that one wrong.

I don't know anyone with an Argos cap but yes to jerseys. Outside of BMO field, I never see TFC caps and rarely see a jersey. Both teams are not really in fashion right now, clothing-wise at least.

I can name 6 people who attend Argos regularly.

People don't really talk about Argos at work. Same with TFC.

You need to ask better questions that are not inspired by your dislike or personal opinion of the CFL. Truth is, everyone will have varying answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    It really doesn't matter who they are cheering for, as long as they are watching. But if you look at local ratings the Argos are doing fine.

Argos are in the media all the time during their season - I'd really love to see you prove that one wrong.

I don't know anyone with an Argos cap but yes to jerseys. Outside of BMO field, I never see TFC caps and rarely see a jersey. Both teams are not really in fashion right now, clothing-wise at least.

I can name 6 people who attend Argos regularly.

People don't really talk about Argos at work. Same with TFC.

You need to ask better questions that are not inspired by your dislike or personal opinion of the CFL. Truth is, everyone will have varying answers.
    But yet Argos have attendance issues and complain about lack of media coverage in the city. I have talk to Argo fans and they blame Rogers for everything for their issues. I am saying these things not because I dislike Argos/CFL (tbh: I don't really care about Canadian/American football) it's because some of comments on this thread.

When comes to popularity of a team in local market, national TV ratings alone shouldn't be judged. There's other factors that plays into judging a team's popularity in the market.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argos can draw nearly a million viewers. And viewer ship is up.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...183017606.html

That is a article talking about CFL ratings.

here is another.

Southern Ontario ratings for Argo regular season games were up 27 per cent compared to last season and 52 per cent compared to 2011, while the Tiger-Cats southern Ontario ratings were up 19 per cent compared to last season and 32 percent compared to 2011

The Argos are not always relevant in the stadium, in the way TFC isn't always relevant on the TV. The reality is people in Niagara, North Bay, London, Sarnia, Port Hope, Kingston and the like who never get to a game, are Argo's fans. Where as (I've been in the GTA long enough I can't say for sure this is true anymore) in the past TFC isn't even really known about outside the GTA, kinda like the Blizzard and the Rock.. you'd heard an advert for them and you'd think, oh neat there is a Lacrosse team in Toronto, or there is a Soccer team, I didn't know there was a professional league.

BMO could be good for the Argo's, better then Rogers. A crowd of 18,000 will seem much better in a 25,000 seat stadium then in a 45,000... and there will be games that the temporary seating will be needed to get 30-32,000 in there.

I'm not a fan of the CFL but I want to see it do well... I think the Argo's are a parasitic team right now, the current MLSE plan sounds good..

The Grass and lines are my only issue. I have no issue with no CFL lines being visible during MLS games, but MLS lines being on during CFL games. So long as the MLS lines are always white and pitch as close to perfect as possible.
    Last edited by Kaz; 03-24-2014 at 06:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    The Argos can draw nearly a million viewers. And viewer ship is up.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-...183017606.html

That is a article talking about CFL ratings.

The Argos are not always relevant in the stadium, in the way TFC isn't always relevant on the TV. The reality is people in Niagara, North Bay, London, Sarnia, Port Hope, Kingston and the like who never get to a game, are Argo's fans. Where as (I've been in the GTA long enough I can't say for sure this is true anymore) in the past TFC isn't even really known about outside the GTA, kinda like the Blizzard and the Rock.. you'd heard an advert for them and you'd think, oh neat there is a Lacrosse team in Toronto, or there is a Soccer team, I didn't know there was a professional league.

In fact I didn't know MLS existed really prior to 2007, I'm not a sport fan, I can remember watching on CBC in 2007 and being hooked almost right away. In 2008 I watched every game I could, and by 2009 I started travelling 500km to make it to a game. The reality is that TFC is still fairly regional (though it is changing). I'd like to think MLS in Canada will surpass the CFL inside the decade, don't know if that will happen, but it hasn't yet.

BMO could be good for the Argo's, better then Rogers. A crowd of 18,000 will seem much better in a 25,000 seat stadium then in a 45,000... and there will be games that the temporary seating will be needed to get 30-32,000 in there.

I'm not a fan of the CFL but I want to see it do well... I think the Argo's are a parasitic team right now, the current MLSE plan sounds good..

The Grass and lines are my only issue. I have no issue with no CFL lines being visible during MLS games, but MLS lines being on during CFL games. So long as the MLS lines are always white.
    That's what I thought. It's Southern Ontario (excluding Hamilton) that are Argo fans than people in Toronto. This explains their TV ratings doing well, but their attendance and presence in Toronto being awful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I thought. It's Southern Ontario (excluding Hamilton) that are Argo fans than people in Toronto. This explains their TV ratings doing well, but their attendance and presence in Toronto being awful
    it's an easy decision for the city of Toronto to put up a little money to move the Argos into BMO, though, because Argo games will bring in people from Hamilton and the other areas to spend money downtown.

So for the Argos and for the city (and probably the province and the Feds) this is an easy decision. But why is MLSE doing it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    it's an easy decision for the city of Toronto to put up a little money to move the Argos into BMO, though, because Argo games will bring in people from Hamilton and the other areas to spend money downtown.

So for the Argos and for the city (and probably the province and the Feds) this is an easy decision. But why is MLSE doing it?
    I think MLSE badly wants to host Winter classic to celebrate Maple Leafs in 2017 at BMO field they will do anything to get it. Of course, Toronto NFL theory is out there (NFL making a condition to take care Argos/CFL if Toronto wants a NFL team).

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Geez. Funny is all I can say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But yet Argos have attendance issues and complain about lack of media coverage in the city. I have talk to Argo fans and they blame Rogers for everything for their issues. I am saying these things not because I dislike Argos/CFL (tbh: I don't really care about Canadian/American football) it's because some of comments on this thread.

When comes to popularity of a team in local market, national TV ratings alone shouldn't be judged. There's other factors that plays into judging a team's popularity in the market.
    I think every team wants more coverage. Playing at Rogers Centre certainly hasn't produced the environment people want to be a part of. And you're right, lots of variables.

From an Argos perspective, they can't do any better than BMO without leaving the city. I have never been a CFL fan but firmly believe this move is really going to help their gameday experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    But why is MLSE doing it?
    Great question. I would really like Layton or another appropriate councillor to answer this question:

Would BMO expansion be approved if it was to remain soccer-specific with 90 mil of MLSE money and no public funds?