View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 41 of 163 FirstFirst ... 313738394041424344455191141 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 4872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25978150

Maybe a retractable roof like the new look Bernabeu stadium....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25978150

Maybe a retractable roof like the new look Bernabeu stadium....
    It's nice but now I have this weird urge to watch Flight of the Navigator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting talk with my Dad tonight. I mentioned the chance that the Argos were coming to BMO. His response, 'lets go to lots of games this year because I won't go once the Argos are in.' Dad won't even entertain the thought that this can work. Argos come in and he's out. I'm still taking a wait and see approach, I'm not ready to yell the sky is falling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watching Canada vs USA from Frisco field in Dallas, pitch looks like shit, can see football lines on the pitch, the last football game must have months ago i hope TL takes note.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OMG...I Cant take this anymore...it is 2 yrs away,chill people...if we are winning nobody will care

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    OMG...I Cant take this anymore...it is 2 yrs away,chill people...if we are winning nobody will care
    Lol You're in the wrong thread if you're sick of the topic

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    I hadn't thought of that but I don't think winning will remove the sentiment and/or fears of those that oppose this.

If anything, TL may be playing a high stakes game here with the future of the team. That's where winning may matter the most.

Imagine they don't win this year.

Throw on a poor or less than spectacular finish with a full steam ahead plan for the Argos (and maybe a price increase to pay for this offseason and stadium expansion) and any uptick in season tickets could quickly be gone.

You can't say they didn't make it interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vince93 View Post
    Just watching Canada vs USA from Frisco field in Dallas, pitch looks like shit, can see football lines on the pitch, the last football game must have months ago i hope TL takes note.
    There was a football game played there on January 4th. Toyota Stadium is natural turf, not the hybrid stuff right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

currently watching Hull City take on the spurs, and rugby lines are clearly noticeable. Anyone know if Hull City are using the turf that TL is talking about?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocktml View Post
    currently watching Hull City take on the spurs, and rugby lines are clearly noticeable. Anyone know if Hull City are using the turf that TL is talking about?
    According to the stadium website:

"The grass is 100% natural, comprised of 90% sand and 10% loam. It also has 3% additive of man-made fibre. The fibre is woven into the roots of the grass and goes down 200mm. If threaded together, these fibres would circle the globe!"

So, mostly grass.

There was a pre season RL friendly there on Sunday last.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hull may also not care about removing the rugby lines.

What does the surface look like?
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Huyton View Post
    Hull may also not care about removing the rugby lines.

What does the surface look like?
    Watching that game right now on NBC's MOTD - I'd call the surface better than fair, but not pristine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NFL FRANCHISE SURVEY SENT TO TORONTO CORPORATE COMMUNITY

It appears that due diligence is being done to bring an NFL franchise to Toronto.

In a letter received by TSN, members of the city's corporate community are being asked for feedback on the potential of an NFL franchise and stadium in the Greater Toronto Area.

The letter, which was sent from CSL International - a sports facility planning and advisory firm based in Texas - states that Toronto is "at the forefront of potential relocation markets" for the NFL.

While the letter also states that no decisions have been made regarding bringing an NFL team to Toronto, it includes a survey to assess how it may provide an "exciting experience for fans and the corporate community alike."

The letter did not specify whose interests were being represented.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=442603

So maybe now we know why MLSE/Larry T is interested buying the Argos and moving them to BMO field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.thestar.com/sports/2014/0..._nfl_team.html

"We're going to spend 120 million to build an English-Premier (League)-style stadium"

Also, the desso grass at Hull has been used now for 11 seasons so I think there must be some improvements in technology similar to how astroturf for baseball has evolved. The Desso Grass average life-span is 8-10 years and since they are on their 11th right now, what your gonna get will be better then what you see right now at Hull's stadium which has supposedly significantly deteriorated in some areas.

http://www.hullfc.com/article/32257/smc-to-fund-pitch-replacement-in-2014
    Last edited by KevBaller; 02-01-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://dcnonl.com/article/id58905/--...er-seats-built

Toronto’s BMO Field is an oval built of steel, from its audience seating to its metal decks and corporate boxes. If Tim Leiweke, president & CEO of Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) has his way, a lot more steel could soon be added to it, from expanded seating to a new roof.

The City of Toronto owns BMO Field while MLSE owns its prime tenant, Major League Soccer team Toronto FC.

However, Leiweke has gone on record stating that the private sector should be funding the bulk of North American stadium construction.

It’s no surprise, then, that he intends to put a roof on the stadium at MLSE’s expense.

“If you go back 30 or 40 years, the majority of our venues in North America were built by the public and that has shifted to where the private sector is taking on the majority of that load as they should,” he told audiences at the national conference of the Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships in December.

“We will fix that team. But we also need to fix that stadium. If you’re a season ticket holder, you got rained on for 17 out of 19 games. I’m a little slow, so it took me to the 16th home game to figure out that we needed a roof.”

It’s the sporting industry’s worst-kept secret that MLSE has an eye on owning the Toronto Argonauts, whose Rogers Centre contract runs out in 2017. BMO Field was designed to accommodate 8,000 additional seats, which would bring seating capacity up to a more Argo-friendly 30,000.

Theoretically, MLSE could put a roof on a BMO Field, expand it to Canadian Football League (CFL) field standards then host all regular season Argo home games there.

That would—even more theoretically—free up Rogers Centre for the arrival of an NFL franchise. Also on the table, the potential spectacle of an open-air National Hockey League game featuring the Toronto Maple Leafs at BMO Field.

Leiweke has floated expansion project budget figures of in excess of $100 million, considerably more than the $63-million it cost to build the original stadium. Half that budget would go to a new roof, while the other half would be used to upgrade the stadium.

BMO Field is operated under the umbrella of Exhibition Place. The chairman of the board of Exhibition Place, Toronto city councilor Mark Grimes, says he’s all ears when MLSE talks about improvements to the stadium at no cost to taxpayers.

“There were always plans to expand the stadium,” says Grimes.

“I’ve been in conversation with Tim Leiweke about the possibility of expanding it to accommodate CFL football, although exactly how many seats that would entail we’ll have to find out.”

Grimes says that there are currently no finalized roof designs being presented, although there’s been talk of some sort of cantilevered roof as MLSE engages in exploratory talks with architects.

“There are many discussions going on and we’re all doing our due diligence,” he says.

“If MLSE wants to expand BMO Field on time and on budget, we can look at how they can recoup some of their money, although the city manager would have to be involved in that. When a plan comes forward, we’ll make sure that we get a deal that’s right for all of the partners. I think I have Mr. Leiweke’s ear in that I am a big CFL fan and that we need to get the Argos on stable ground.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Th ironic part is half that $60M dollar figure is the cost of the land. It's a cheap set, with minimal extras.

Hopefully removing the old stadium doesn't eat up too much of this budget.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes...I gather the footings for Exhibition Stadium are still there...that may have to be dealt with in any expansion issue.

I also heard somewhere that capacity for CFL will be about 26,000 and around 30,000 for association football. To me this indicates more of a removable south stand, rather than a moveable one.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timbers vs. Portland State University in a dispute over football lines.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...rs_in_a_f.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need to change the conversation regarding the planned reno.
    If it's going to happen, it will happen. If MLSE thinks it can make a profit sharing the field with the Argos, they will bring in the Argos. As they said in the past "Just deal with it"

But, BMO was built on the cheap the first time around. MLSE can't make the same mistake twice. The stadium needs far more than a roof over its metal bleachers.

The design could also have a huge impact on those at the top of sections. I would imagine MLSE would want to add a second deck, and more boxes to a renovated/new east stand.
    If that happens, how many rows will the seats include? Will we find that new sections are 25 rows and those above will be in the upper deck of a new BMO?

MLSE did this once before when the built the ACC added the platinum seats, and moving all the existing sections back (gold, red, green, etc).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Found this really cool link to the Saitama Arena. It is an indoor facility that is on tracks which can be configured in different ways for different events. Not sure if it would work on grass though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manitou22 View Post
    Thanks for the article.

Nice to hear a perspective from people actually dealing with the problems we may well be soon facing. If the damage incurred from the process of removing lines and still seeing them, afterwards, are a worry with an artificial turf, it's frightening when you think of how that translates to a grass pitch -- hybrid or not.
    Mike Golub, the Timbers chief operating officer said, "They're good ideas. We'd love to host them. But we don't want to paint lines. Every time you paint lines the field suffers degradation. We're concerned with the state of the field.

"
    It takes nine hours for a crew to paint the lines. Same time to scrub them off, weather permitting. Although, anyone who has seen Jeld-Wen post-football use would agree that you still see a hint of the football lines during a televised broadcast, from the stands, or from the press box for a few days after.

"We're focused on aesthetics and the long-term performance of the field," Golub said.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I think we need to change the conversation regarding the planned reno.
    If it's going to happen, it will happen. If MLSE thinks it can make a profit sharing the field with the Argos, they will bring in the Argos. As they said in the past "Just deal with it"

But, BMO was built on the cheap the first time around. MLSE can't make the same mistake twice. The stadium needs far more than a roof over its metal bleachers.

The design could also have a huge impact on those at the top of sections. I would imagine MLSE would want to add a second deck, and more boxes to a renovated/new east stand.
    If that happens, how many rows will the seats include? Will we find that new sections are 25 rows and those above will be in the upper deck of a new BMO?

MLSE did this once before when the built the ACC added the platinum seats, and moving all the existing sections back (gold, red, green, etc).

Indeed. We should be discussing how much money MLSE would be saving by not having retractable end-zone seating and by not enduring higher groundskeeping and stadium staffing costs. To say nothing about lower design costs.

Then we should be talking about how those savings could be poured into refurbishing Lamport Stadium or the new York Univ. PanAm track and field stadium to make either into a suitable, permanent home for the Argos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David Miller just tweeted a picture of Brayley in the MLSE court side seats at the raptors game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    David Miller just tweeted a picture of Brayley in the MLSE court side seats at the raptors game.
    yup he's there with larry...announcers said they maybe discussing the sale of the argos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Larry has about as much authority to negotiate a purchase of the Argos, as I do to appoint the next King of England.

The Argos are Bell's problem/property, and they have to figure out what they can give to Rogers to get them to go along.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Larry has about as much authority to negotiate a purchase of the Argos, as I do to appoint the next King of England.

The Argos are Bell's problem/property, and they have to figure out what they can give to Rogers to get them to go along.
    It's possible Larry can buy Argos with his own money. Rumour was either MLSE or Larry ends up buying Argos.

Btw, MLSE BOD already voted against purchasing Argos for $20 million (rumoured amount at the time)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul Beeston (Jays CEO) was in the front row too tonight.
    TL left after the first quarter with his quests then 3 TFC players would take turns sitting in the courtside seats each quarter.

It was all very busy down there tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by manitou22 View Post
    lol...they went to Jeld-Wen to complain and the next day it is no longer called Jeld-Wen Field...anyone else see the irony in that!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    It's nice but now I have this weird urge to watch Flight of the Navigator.

I so agree!!! Haha!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    It's possible Larry can buy Argos with his own money. Rumour was either MLSE or Larry ends up buying Argos.
    Makes no sense. It's Bell/TSN who need a solution for the Argos.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”