View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 102 of 163 FirstFirst ... 252929899100101102103104105106112152 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 4872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Interesting question regarding where the Argos fan base lives. It was said they are 905ers.

Can the same be said for TFC fans? Parking lots in and around BMO were rarely empty even when the stadium was.
    No, TFC do have fans in downtown core who support this team (I am sure we got some of them posting on this board). But I wouldn't be surprised if 905ers edge 416ers in TFC SSH base.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    i don't get why getting this done for pan am games and a stupid two week rugby tournament is important.
    Shouldn't they work around the MLS calendar instead. does anyone care about the pan am games anyway. Does anyone remember they last games in Winnipeg in 1999?
    Not 2 weeks, 2 days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Hopefully soccer and basketball tickets will be cheap as well. It sucks I have go to Hamilton to watch soccer! Since when Hamilton is soccer city?! What a waste to put a premier event in that town. BMO field should be venue for soccer while Hamilton should be hosting Rugby.
    This is my thought exactly, why wouldn't someone have leveraged the fact that BMO is also the National Soccer Stadium, ensured the pitch remained pristine and allowed Hamilton to host Rugby at their pointyball stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    This is my thought exactly, why wouldn't someone have leveraged the fact that BMO is also the National Soccer Stadium, ensured the pitch remained pristine and allowed Hamilton to host Rugby at their pointyball stadium.
    I've played rugby 7's for years. It will barely leave a scratch on the pitch compared to a host of full 90' footy matches. You can't host an entire footy tourney in one grass stadium.

In this particular case, it's better for proper football to be played on the artificial turf in Hamilton which sits comfortably in the massive west-end soccer community.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I'm more ticked that the city decided to not get involved in the Women's World Cup because they wanted to concentrate on the Pan Am Games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hopefully soccer and basketball tickets will be cheap as well. It sucks I have go to Hamilton to watch soccer! Since when Hamilton is soccer city?! What a waste to put a premier event in that town. BMO field should be venue for soccer while Hamilton should be hosting Rugby.
    A more important question is "Since when is Hamilton Toronto?" Can someone name 2 cities in Ontario that dislike each other more and want nothing to do with the other? This sharing the games and spreading it all over just gives me another reason to pass.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    A more important question is "Since when is Hamilton Toronto?" Can someone name 2 cities in Ontario that dislike each other more and want nothing to do with the other? This sharing the games and spreading it all over just gives me another reason to pass.
    I don't know about that now. Hamilton is becoming another suburb to Toronto these days thanks to Torontonians moving to Hamilton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Ottawa count or does everyone hate Ottawa?

But I see your point.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about that now. Hamilton is becoming another suburb to Toronto these days thanks to Torontonians moving to Hamilton.
    I heard the term GTHA for the first time and bled from the ears and eyes. I was with someone who asked "Greater Toronto and Halton Area" ?

I would assume there are large number of proud Hamiltonions who would have much the same reaction as myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard the term GTHA for the first time and bled from the ears and eyes. I was with someone who asked "Greater Toronto and Halton Area" ?

I would assume there are large number of proud Hamiltonions who would have much the same reaction as myself.
    From Burlington and have never heard that term... Burlington, Oakville, Milton, Grimsby, Hamilton are just stand alone cities nothing to do with greater whatever area as far as i'm concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the term Torontonian demographers use whenever they want to argue we're the 4th biggest city in NA (we're not).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by molenshtain View Post
    It's the term Torontonian demographers use whenever they want to argue we're the 4th biggest city in NA (we're not).
    GTHA is a useful tool to get GO to do things....like give us a cheap deal to get down to BMO.

Don't knock...use it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the inverse is true. We're the 4th largest city in NA based on population of the city, not the surrounding suburbs. We passed Chicago last year for number 4 due to the fact that people left the city of Chicago to move to the suburbs. When you add the Metropolitan area, we're 8th in NA.
    Last edited by Miko; 06-16-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    Another summer of hope!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pint View Post
    From Burlington and have never heard that term... Burlington, Oakville, Milton, Grimsby, Hamilton are just stand alone cities nothing to do with greater whatever area as far as i'm concerned.
    Bless you.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    GTHA is a useful tool to get GO to do things....like give us a cheap deal to get down to BMO.

Don't knock...use it.
    But...

true story.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That depends on which numbers you use to rank the population. The GTHA has a population of about 6.7 million. But since these "greater area" definitions can get fuzzy and StatsCan doesn't do official mergers of Census Metropolitan Areas like they do in the US to form larger statistical areas, the better comparison is the city. For example, if you look at the Toronto CMA, there are about 5.5m, while the CSD of Toronto has 2.6 million, which does put us fourth (based on current-year estimates) after Mexico City, New York and LA, although we are in a virtual tie with Chicago in that sense. Since these are based on current-year estimates and Toronto and Chicago are so close, you'd be hard-pressed to know which one really has more people. The "Chicagoland" metro area has a lot more (close to 10m, I think).

The GTHA is a reasonable regional definition based on the urbanization and growth patterns in southern Ontario over the past few decades, so I'm not sure what makes it so offensive to people. The fact is, Hamilton and Toronto are connected by a long stretch of suburbs that are rapidly filling in. These areas need to work together and be considered as a region in order for us to get better infrastructure and services.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must not be familiar with how enormous the land area of "greater metro areas" of US cities are. They usually count a much larger area as the metro than we do with Toronto. If anything, I would say the population of the Toronto Metro Area is understated because of that fact. The greater Toronto area is 2700 square miles... Chicago's Metro area for example is 10,800 miles... That is ridiculous. If we counted an area that big as part of the Toronto area, then Niagara Falls would be considered part of Toronto!

And if you are talking only the City of Toronto proper and not including the suburbs and metro area, then Toronto is indeed the 4th largest city in North America.
    Last edited by dupont; 06-16-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, having many cities as a part of a single urban region isnt something that we only do. Off the top of my head I can think of Gary, Indiana as part of the Chicago metro and cities in New Jersey for NYC. Hell, LA is very much a region of multiple cities, rather then one large united municipality.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Also, having many cities as a part of a single urban region isnt something that we only do. Off the top of my head I can think of Gary, Indiana as part of the Chicago metro and cities in New Jersey for NYC. Hell, LA is very much a region of multiple cities, rather then one large united municipality.
    The area definitions are always tricky, which is why they usually use the "City" moniker to define population. In the case of Toronto, that's the Census Subdivision as defined by StatsCan. Hell, if you look at the Combined Statistical Area of New York, it's at about 24 million people.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we now if the new items were brought before council and passed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone saw the news, Hamilton's new stadium was delayed by a month today and are at the end of second year of construction

I know Montreal did the same expansion (adding a second deck onto pre-existing stands) for Molson stadium they are looking at for east stands for BMO. It took 9 months.

Anybody worried about the timeline? Last game is Oct 25th. November, December, January, February ... you get the idea. Where are they going to play March, April, May June? What if its a bad winter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any word on new designs being released any time soon?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone saw the news, Hamilton's new stadium was delayed by a month today and are at the end of second year of construction

I know Montreal did the same expansion (adding a second deck onto pre-existing stands) for Molson stadium they are looking at for east stands for BMO. It took 9 months.

Anybody worried about the timeline? Last game is Oct 25th. November, December, January, February ... you get the idea. Where are they going to play March, April, May June? What if its a bad winter?
    The current time table is to start Construction after the CNE is done (September 10th) and be done by May 1st. Then do the same thing the year after for the "Roof"

And then the same thing the year after that for the Argos Expansion.. if Funding for it comes from a source other then MLSE.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct me if I'm wrong but Hamilton stadium is being done with PanAm games money, contractors, timelines, and brown paper bag funding.
    BMO would be getting money from the city, but MLSE would be overseeing the project? Didn't they get the ACC built on time and on budget?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Interesting question regarding where the Argos fan base lives. It was said they are 905ers.

Can the same be said for TFC fans? Parking lots in and around BMO were rarely empty even when the stadium was.

Interesting question.
    In the first few years we would see car loads of people in TFC gear as we drove out of St Kitts, and it seemed everyone down here had tix or knew someone with tix.
    With rising prices on everything discussed here at length, from tix and concessions, to parking and gas, not to mention traffic and construction, I'd guess the majority of people filling the stadium are 416ers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cmonyoureds View Post

Interesting question.
    In the first few years we would see car loads of people in TFC gear as we drove out of St Kitts, and it seemed everyone down here had tix or knew someone with tix.
    With rising prices on everything discussed here at length, from tix and concessions, to parking and gas, not to mention traffic and construction, I'd guess the majority of people filling the stadium are 416ers.
    there are still a lot of people on the go train back to Oakville.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The westbound train from exhibition is always full after the game, most times i cant get a seat.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    The current time table is to start Construction after the CNE is done (September 10th) and be done by May 1st. Then do the same thing the year after for the "Roof"

And then the same thing the year after that for the Argos Expansion.. if Funding for it comes from a source other then MLSE.
    Exactly, get all the ground work done before the ground is frozen solid or unworkable. As long as the structure is set in a reasonable amount of time, MLSE will make sure the rest is done efficiently and well.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leafsman View Post
    The westbound train from exhibition is always full after the game, most times i cant get a seat.
    This is so true. I think it's safe to say a lot of TFC fans are coming from western part of GTA. Also, I notice there isn't a lot of TFC fans taking eastbound train after the game (plenty of seats to sit). As for 416 region, TTC is usually packed with TFC fans after the games.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I live East and have only taken the Go Train once.
    The cost of the ticket ($5 each way) isn't worth the hassle of getting to and from the Go Train station.

Would rather drive or bike.