View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 17 of 163 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The ship has sailed on Toronto hosting any Women's World Cup games.

It's going to be predominantly a Western Canada affair.

That's fine given that Toronto is getting the majority of the MNT games.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    Here are the official pics of the new BMO Field Expansion. Notice the Eastern grandstand is absolutely massive compared to the West.

I don't know where you get this and say they are "offical" pics/renderings.

The pictures you are posting are apart of a report from Explace for "festival plaza" They take in account for leaving space for a "possible" BMO field expansion "sometime in the future".

http://www.explace.on.ca/database/rt...em%2030(1).pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    The ship has sailed on Toronto hosting any Women's World Cup games.

It's going to be predominantly a Western Canada affair.

That's fine given that Toronto is getting the majority of the MNT games.
    i sincerely hope not...toronto is the mega market...it will really hurt the success of the tournament if we don't host anything...hopefully we get u20 games in 2014

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If expansion, or a stadium make-over ever does come to pass... I say make it a one single fully complete level/bowl with a canopy roof, obviously with room for future expansion if necessary. I think TFC has proven to be a fairly profitable team. Its a shame that in 2006 it seemed as if it was just an experimental move.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i sincerely hope not...toronto is the mega market...it will really hurt the success of the tournament if we don't host anything...hopefully we get u20 games in 2014
    Toronto is not even on the list of proposed venues.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...rld-cup-games/

“In early November (2010) we received a letter from Toronto city officials, principally Tourism Toronto, declining the opportunity to get involved,” said Peter Montopoli, the Canadian Soccer Association’s general secretary.
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to mention that the Maple Leafs may be playing the Red Wings in Michigan next year for the outdoor NHL game (massive college stadium in Ann Arbor). I would think that delays a Maple Leafs game in Toronto (and the necessary BMO expansion) for a couple of years...?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burke said that he wants Toronto to HOST the All Star Game and Outdoor game in 2017, as part of the Leafs 100th season. So even if they went to Detroit next year, they still want to host their own.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Toronto is not even on the list of proposed venues.
    that might be, but i think the tournament cannot be as successful without toronto hosting something...and if we ever want to host the mens tournament, we need to host a flawless, successful, soldout womens tournament

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Just wanted to mention that the Maple Leafs may be playing the Red Wings in Michigan next year for the outdoor NHL game (massive college stadium in Ann Arbor). I would think that delays a Maple Leafs game in Toronto (and the necessary BMO expansion) for a couple of years...?

not necessarily. Pens played in 08 and hosted in 2011, Flyers played in 09 and hosted this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out the new digs in Manitoba. http://www.bluebombers.com/photo_gal...allery/id/5901 Great looking venue...with a...wait for it......ROOF. surely not the cooky-cutter stadium we have here in toronto. I stll cant get over the fact that we dont even have a few tv around the concessions while waiting for a 10 buck beer, i sure do love our tin-can stadium though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^have you talked to people from winnipeg about the new stadium...you might get a different impression about how "great" it is

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really? no i havent. I have heard location my be an issue, UofM is outside the city (correct)...also the opening date being pushed back. The facility itself seems like a top notch well built stadium rather than a metal fab BMO style.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ same thing they said about red bull arena.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __wowza View Post
    ^ same thing they said about red bull arena.

Whats wrong with Red Bull arena, it looks like a terrific park? Besides, if we had a canopy at BMO and weren't soaking wet during most matches we would have nothing to distract us from the game in front of us. Not having a canopy in an outdoor stadium in our part of the world where most games are played in the spring and fall is another indication that money, and not fan comfort and interests, come first.....mlse could have persuaded the city to allow them to cover the place back in 2007 but they simply did not give a shit. Even the good old CNE stadium, that for decades was home to the argos had a partial canopy. Same old refrain, I know, but BMO is an utterly garbage venue compared to most modern facilities. Interesting that MLSE has covered the stadiums it is building in Downsview park...there is no end to the cheapness of this company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shite stadium,shite team,i cant for the next price increase,the cheap bastards.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 2007 MLSE did not know what the popularity of the team would be. They've added a stand. A covered stand is next.

Are you talking about the training facilities? Of course they'd be indoors.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    Whats wrong with Red Bull arena?
    Have you ever drove there from Brooklyn?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    Have you ever drove there from Brooklyn?
    The huge and fantastic new york subway system will take you there i bet. The point about the training facilities. MLSE needs to profit from this venture, a covered bubble or canopy is essential or it would fail. They know something about basic economics and supply/demand....without the cover, no interest , no activity during the winter, thus no profits. With BMO the stadium is at near capacity, tickets sold, roof, canopy, cheaper beer, not necessary.....build a great team...not necessary....makes me sick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevy396 View Post
    The huge and fantastic new york subway system will take you there i bet.
    You realize the stadium isn't in New York?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Ripoff View Post
    You realize the stadium isn't in New York?
    True, though the PATH system should take you there, if I'm not mistaken......

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im pretty sure I remember reading that there is no cover because of the wind loads being to strong around the stadium. It makes perfect sense to me if it is true. There are times when you see the ball being held in mid air by the wind. Could you imagine he damage it would cause on a roof? The roof would act as a giant wing and want to take off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    Im pretty sure I remember reading that there is no cover because of the wind loads being to strong around the stadium. It makes perfect sense to me if it is true. There are times when you see the ball being held in mid air by the wind. Could you imagine he damage it would cause on a roof? The roof would act as a giant wing and want to take off
    If you want to buy that bullshit.
    The old CNE stadium had a massive roof on the western end. It covered something like 20,000 people. never saw it break down.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    True, though the PATH system should take you there, if I'm not mistaken......
    Yes, very easy to get to via PATH, with good connections from the NY subway, NJ Transit, etc. I've been there.

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/HUB/nyc-public-map

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    If they were worried about high winds, perhaps they would have built a permanent structure, rather than a glorified high school steel bleacher on the east side.

I understand MLSE/City of Toronto's hesitation when initially building the stadium. They build BMO so it wouldn't be hard to tear back down in case this MLS experiment failed. The old CNE grandstand was built to last, and ended up very difficult to take down. And initially, compared to the teams that were playing in NFL stadiums, BMO was a great place. But now its shortcomings are being exposed. Problem is, there is no incentive for the team to make improvements. The stadium has few other uses than MLS, international soccer, and the occasional rugby match. Fans already are not interested in paying for the premium tickets. And when was the last time the team made a big investment as a goodwill gesture to the fans?

Sadly, until the team starts winning, and the stadium is sold out every game again, I don't think stadium expansion, or a major renovation are in the cards. We don't want the Argos, we aren't involved in the Women's World Cup, and the Pan Am games will be an afterthought.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    If they were worried about high winds, perhaps they would have built a permanent structure, rather than a glorified high school steel bleacher on the east side.

I understand MLSE/City of Toronto's hesitation when initially building the stadium. They build BMO so it wouldn't be hard to tear back down in case this MLS experiment failed. The old CNE grandstand was built to last, and ended up very difficult to take down. And initially, compared to the teams that were playing in NFL stadiums, BMO was a great place. But now its shortcomings are being exposed. Problem is, there is no incentive for the team to make improvements. The stadium has few other uses than MLS, international soccer, and the occasional rugby match. Fans already are not interested in paying for the premium tickets. And when was the last time the team made a big investment as a goodwill gesture to the fans?

Sadly, until the team starts winning, and the stadium is sold out every game again, I don't think stadium expansion, or a major renovation are in the cards. We don't want the Argos, we aren't involved in the Women's World Cup, and the Pan Am games will be an afterthought.
    You forget that BMO Field is owned by the city so if the city decides its in their best interests to expand it they will. This is why the current CNE plans have included an expansion of BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this post is from awhile back but at the rate the fan base is shrinking i doubt very much expansion of BMO field for a long time! I wouldnt be suprised that the new owners (ROGERS/BELL) in the future move the TFC to the rogers centre.It makes complete sense,no paing rent,no spliting profits with city,no paying for bubble over lamport.It just wouldnt suprise me.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc007 View Post
    I know this post is from awhile back but at the rate the fan base is shrinking i doubt very much expansion of BMO field for a long time! I wouldnt be suprised that the new owners (ROGERS/BELL) in the future move the TFC to the rogers centre.It makes complete sense,no paing rent,no spliting profits with city,no paying for bubble over lamport.It just wouldnt suprise me.

This level of pessimism is bordering on defeatist. It doesn't take much to pay for the BMO rent and if you look around the league a whopping majority of teams operate at lower levels of attendance.

But whatever makes you feel better...
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reasons i want renovation:

1) want a roof for better, louder atmosphere

2) Are stadium is to windy, the ball stops in mid air, the fans flags are to windy to even hold, the atmosphere just blows off with the wind and no one can here it. Close the corners, add roof (that should help keep the wind out to a minimum) And many fans i think are also sick of getting wet every other game.

3) renovate underneath the seats, we get wet even at half time. The line ups take forever

4) Renovate to keep up with the rest of the new stadiums in the league. Are performance on the field sure makes us look like we don't belong in MLS, don't make are stadium look like we belong in a lower league as well.

5) at the ticket prices we pay we deserve a better stadium (however if they renovate BMO they would probably increase prices even tho we are currently probably paying prices the same if not more then other teams in MLS who already have better stadiums)
    Last edited by james; 04-26-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc007 View Post
    So moving from a state of the art grass surface back to turf? in a cavernous stadium, being shared by a MLB team?
    I don't see that happening. MLS is growing, not shrinking. I don't think the league would go for that. It cheapens the league image - something MLS is working hard to correct by mandating SSS to all new teams and pushing most existing teams to build new SSS.