View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 44 of 163 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 4872
    Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With ensco, the way to try to stop the investment is to ensure that no public funds are used. It changes the equation. They might still go ahead but would have to really think about it.

Interesting re: Supporters Controlled Sections. While it sounds nice, are SGs ready for the potential headaches? I use "SGs" in very general terms and not saying anything specific to the RPBs. For example:

- while Nick might be a great choice to stand beside, Nick has to get in line. SGs would need a transparent process to ensure fair allocation of tickets. Nepotism or worse cannot enter into it.

- speaking of transparency, would SGs get a portion of any revenue generated off the FO's sale of tickets? If so, how does membership feel about this corporate alliance? Do SG's lose a piece of their "soul" as a result of partnering with the big bad corporate FO?

- once one gets seats, do they have to maintain membership to the SG to maintain their "right" to that season ticket? If so, what assurances to members have that membership fees will remain stable? That issues are resolved satisfactorily? What happens if I leave one group and get into another, do I lose my seat?

- not everyone with STs in those sections belongs to a group. Do they have to move?

- what policy will SGs have with respect to those that make a bad choice during a game? Flares, smoke bombs, starting a fight, abusing an usher, throwing coins or pieces of chairs, drugs etc. Will SGs be obligated to "turn them in" and will membership understand and accept that? "Policing oneself" doesn't work in a partnership with the FO

- how would less obvious infractions be handled, such as waving a flag during play that pisses off the majority of those behind you?

Overall, I think it is a great thing but all SGs have to be ready for issues like these are they aren't necessarily beyond the realm of possible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    With ensco, the way to try to stop the investment is to ensure that no public funds are used. It changes the equation. They might still go ahead but would have to really think about it.
    Absolutely. Zero public funds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post

Interesting re: Supporters Controlled Sections. While it sounds nice, are SGs ready for the potential headaches? I use "SGs" in very general terms and not saying anything specific to the RPBs. For example:

- while Nick might be a great choice to stand beside, Nick has to get in line. SGs would need a transparent process to ensure fair allocation of tickets. Nepotism or worse cannot enter into it.

- speaking of transparency, would SGs get a portion of any revenue generated off the FO's sale of tickets? If so, how does membership feel about this corporate alliance? Do SG's lose a piece of their "soul" as a result of partnering with the big bad corporate FO?

- once one gets seats, do they have to maintain membership to the SG to maintain their "right" to that season ticket? If so, what assurances to members have that membership fees will remain stable? That issues are resolved satisfactorily? What happens if I leave one group and get into another, do I lose my seat?

- not everyone with STs in those sections belongs to a group. Do they have to move?

- what policy will SGs have with respect to those that make a bad choice during a game? Flares, smoke bombs, starting a fight, abusing an usher, throwing coins or pieces of chairs, drugs etc. Will SGs be obligated to "turn them in" and will membership understand and accept that? "Policing oneself" doesn't work in a partnership with the FO

- how would less obvious infractions be handled, such as waving a flag during play that pisses off the majority of those behind you?

Overall, I think it is a great thing but all SGs have to be ready for issues like these are they aren't necessarily beyond the realm of possible.
    I would imagine that most(if not all) supporter group leadership has already talked about all of these issues multiple times both internally as well as with the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argo fans are going to show up for this meeting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its merely a show, like one commentator in the article said, the paper shredder is under the mail slot...

The process is to far along for anything to really change, its best we all get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of Karen Stintz's mayoral campaign platform:

She said she wants council to support the expansion of BMO Field sought by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and then join with Chicago and Detroit to submit a two-country bid for a “Great Lakes World Cup” in 2026. “Once we get that stadium,” she said, “we’ll be in a better position to compete for those big events.”

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/951...intz-platform/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post

She said she wants council to support the expansion of BMO Field sought by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment and then join with Chicago and Detroit to submit a two-country bid for a “Great Lakes World Cup” in 2026. “Once we get that stadium,” she said, “we’ll be in a better position to compete for those big events.”

ahahahahahahaha. so clueless
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's what the USSF wants to do. Have Chicago partner with ... Detroit .... and .... .... Toronto.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post

Why would she say that unless she talk to someone with more knowledge (like MLSE) on these things about it?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Why would she say that unless she talk to someone with more knowledge (like MLSE) on these things about it?
    From watching Ms. Stintz, I would say she heard something from somebody at the CSA who was thinking out loud about possibilities. Not sure she quite gets how politics at FIFA works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    From watching Ms. Stintz, I would say she heard something from somebody at the CSA who was thinking out loud about possibilities. Not sure she quite gets how politics at FIFA works.
    But CSA made it clear they're bidding alone. They don't want to co-host World Cup.

To me, this sounds more like MLSE (Tim Lewieke) who have been meeting with city lately making up stuff to get city to pay for some of BMO field expansion.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stintz has a decent rack on her. Let's encourage her to campaign in tight-fitting football kits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Stintz has a decent rack on her. Let's encourage her to campaign in tight-fitting football kits.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob McCown@FadooBobcat19mIs Rogers finally ready to buy the Argonauts? Announcement tomorrow?

Here we go...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Oh no.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogers? TSN just reupped on rights to the CFL. I suppose having a team in the league owned by the same entity that broadcasts might be seen as a conflict but this is the league with two out of 8 teams owned by one guy.

Is Rogers aiming to control both BMO and SkyDome?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Bob McCown@FadooBobcat19mIs Rogers finally ready to buy the Argonauts? Announcement tomorrow?

Here we go...
    Rogers, but not MLSE?

EDIT: McCown meant MLSE not Rogers alone. He said MLSE BOD will decide to buy Argos or not in their next board meeting (sometime this week).
    Last edited by TFC07; 02-24-2014 at 05:07 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The board meeting is tomorrow. The Argos were actually in a past life owned by TSN. Rogers owns the Blue Jays and Sportnet, which broadcasts all the games.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've long said we need an upgraded BMO field. While I enjoy watching games there, outdoors, and on grass, the place has always felt like a temporary facility.
    IF bringing in the Argos means we end up with a facility among the league's best, I am willing to make that concession, as long as the lighting, sightlines, distance and pitch of seats from field, and playing surface* (grass or hybrid, no CFL lines visible), remain the same. I'm willing to welcome the Argos to BMO as long as on TFC gamedays, I won't be able to tell that the Argos also play there as a fan, and more importantly, the players won't be able to tell on the field.
    But this grand renovation does raise some questions. Mainly, how can it possibly be accomplished without moving us to the Dome for a season. Plus after investing all this money in the roster, and rebuilding their ticket sales, do they really want to put TFC in the Dome for a year?
    And speaking of BMO, did they ever winterize it? With the opener less than a month away, will it be ready? I know they've opened in late March before, but this seems to have been a much longer, colder winter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/25...ion-councillor

Sounds like pretty much a done deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    http://www.torontosun.com/2014/02/25...ion-councillor

Sounds like pretty much a done deal.
    Public consultation on March 5 is sounding more and more like a formality. March 7 seems like the day the city approves the expansion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone going to the meeting next Wednesday everyone needs to show up we need to stand up for this team. They need there own place.
    Last edited by nascarguy; 02-25-2014 at 10:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, the thing that worries me most of all is adding so many seats. It could end up looking so empty and kill the atmosphere even more...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dupont View Post
    Honestly, the thing that worries me most of all is adding so many seats. It could end up looking so empty and kill the atmosphere even more...
    Why? we're only adding 8000 seats. that would have been half the season ticket waiting list in '08 and '09. I think they expect an even longer waiting list now with added star-power and a first winning season under obviously competent and different management. I don't think you've seen the full extent to how hyped this city can get about this team. A winning season will go a long way for people who still think this is the TFC of old (of which there are many).

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if that happens you're talking seasons from now.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More seats means MLSE can't increase ticket prices if they want to sell 30,000 seats.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Even if that happens you're talking seasons from now.
    They're trying to get the capacity expanded by next summer for the Pan Am Games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We really should wait and see the plans before assuming too much.

But if the rumours are true about a permanent 30k for soccer with approx. 40k for special events.....where do those temp seats go? Will there be a gaping spot to expand?

Leaked renderings can't come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    They're trying to get the capacity expanded by next summer for the Pan Am Games.
    Construction would start by this summer most likely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this...

I really hope we don't end up playing in front of 5,000-6,000 empty seats - even when winning, times are good etc....

Even on FIFA14 the bed sheets hanging from the roof in Vancouver hiding empty seats look ridiculous - but then again nothing looks 'worse' then thousands of empty seats...

This is a bit of a different example but, I remember going to a DCU/TFC match and the attendance was 31,000 - only thing your eye was drawn too was the 40,000 empty seats, not the great crowd...

If they're going to expand, and there's nothing we can do - please do it within reason. It's not like the Argos are bringing in 30,000 for the games on a regular basis...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."