View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 155 of 163 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,650 of 4872
    RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    Anyone wonder if the way this winter has been going.... they will be on schedule??
    Oh, yeah. I'd hoped that by now some enterprising reporter would have asked questions about how the project was going.

I'd really like to see a webcam view, so I can check on the progress.

Also, has anyone been able to see how (or if) they're protecting the pitch from damage caused by the construction?
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's going to be Tim Horton's field all over again one big joke

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsYNWA View Post
    Anyone wonder if the way this winter has been going.... they will be on schedule??
    Well, I can tell you that the winter weather hasn't stopped construction from starting at 7am every morning on the condo across the street from me. So if that's any indication, they shouldn't be too far behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weather hasn't really been that bad this winter. Much less snow than last year, and the temperatures only really got cold in the past two weeks. I don't know of many renos that have come in ahead of schedule, but it's not like we're reno-ing our primary train/subway station or our main intra-city highway here. It should get done fairly quickly and reasonably close to what they said I would think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the updated pics I sent to stadiumdb.
    Last edited by Haddy; 02-18-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLSE is good with these things. It'll be ready.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the pictures, Haddy!
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    Here are the updated pics I sent to stadiumdb.
    Thank you!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Really wish this team would just die already.
    no need for comments like this. No need to bring down other canadian sports teams. Especially ones with as much history as the argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What seems to be more strange is the employee washrooms in the background.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dont have the link...am640 say that argos may play at BMO this summer...really??

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    dont have the link...am640 say that argos may play at BMO this summer...really??
    This is ridiculous. They can come to a decision this summer but the amount of games being played there are already restrictive.

Also their sched reads they aren't home until Aug 8th and 23rd and the Jays are away those weekends. Rogers Centre Calendar confirms Argos play there those dates.

We play KC the 8th at home but away the 23rd.
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 02-20-2015 at 03:24 PM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is impossible.
    unless they are willing to play on a smaller field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoever at am640 wrote that saw Braleys comments of a lease being potentially agreed to by summer and did 2+2= 75

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Argonauts are coming - for the past 6 years or so there's been no doubt in my mind about that - but I don't see them playing there this summer. The playing surface can't accommodate a CFL field without cutting out a significant amount of concrete and re-bar. I suppose the CFL commissioner could sign-off on allowing the club to play on a non-regulation field, but I have my doubts.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Whoever at am640 wrote that saw Braleys comments of a lease being potentially agreed to by summer and did 2+2= 75

On 590 Bob McKown commented that allowing the Argos to play at BMO was a setback to the TFC fans.

Blair while on the prime time panel pointed out that a multi purpose reno for Argos and outdoor hockey impacted the CSA as well.

(paraphrasing here)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    We all come back for pics. See something to comment on, repeat.
    This^^

Then sort through 5-10 pages of no pics, get sad and leave.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I read, was that there could be a lease agreement between MLSE and Braley by the summer, at which point the province and the CFL itself would likely pony up the funding for the "third phase" of the ongoing renovation, that was put in mothballs after they couldn't get an agreement for government funding. I'm pretty sure that was the part of the plan that called for retractable stands at either end of the field, covering fieldturf endzones. At no point did I read that the Argos would be playing at BMO Field next season, and I'm pretty sure their current agreement at the SkyDome is in effect until 2017 anyway (though I'm sure Rogers would let them out of it early, as they are exploring a proper grass baseball diamond).

From the city's perspective (and the Argos perspective), BMO Field just makes the most sense. Obviously from the CSA's perspective, and as a TFC fan, it's preferable for the Argos to go elsewhere - but this always made the most sense on every other level. And it's the only option for the Argos that has even a little bit of a chance of being done by 2017... or any real prospects at all. Rogers want them out of the Dome, and neither Braley, nor the government, wants to fund construction of a new stadium for them. That leaves BMO Field, which has perfect seating numbers, an outdoor experience, and an existing blueprint in place to make it big enough for CFL football, for a tiny fraction of the price of a new stadium.

I hate it, but it's true. Remember Leiweke's promises about going the extra mile to preserve the purity of the soccer experience, though? We need to make sure he honours those promises, in the event this comes to pass.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want this to happen but I have to say the CSA argument has no legs. I know it's the "National Soccer Stadium" but 2 games a year, if that, doesn't cut it.

Dom

"No Argos" banners EVERY GAME this year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or the Argo could always ground share with Hamilton, or start playing at one of the Toronto universities. Why do we have to ruin a perfectly good stadium that was never intended for CFL football.

The CSA should fight this tooth and nail, this is why many Canadians do not take Canadian soccer seriously.

If the various level of governments and current owner have no interest in keeping the argos, one of the countries oldest sports teams alive by providing a proper venue dedicated to CFL football, why should mlse or TFC even care.

I for one could care less if the argos fold, as for more than a quarter century no one has cared to properly run this franchise with any sort of vision for the future, taking cheap rent options at the dome and or backing out of partnerships that would have seen them in there own facility.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    What I read, was that there could be a lease agreement between MLSE and Braley by the summer, at which point the province and the CFL itself would likely pony up the funding for the "third phase" of the ongoing renovation, that was put in mothballs after they couldn't get an agreement for government funding. I'm pretty sure that was the part of the plan that called for retractable stands at either end of the field, covering fieldturf endzones. At no point did I read that the Argos would be playing at BMO Field next season, and I'm pretty sure their current agreement at the SkyDome is in effect until 2017 anyway (though I'm sure Rogers would let them out of it early, as they are exploring a proper grass baseball diamond).

From the city's perspective (and the Argos perspective), BMO Field just makes the most sense. Obviously from the CSA's perspective, and as a TFC fan, it's preferable for the Argos to go elsewhere - but this always made the most sense on every other level. And it's the only option for the Argos that has even a little bit of a chance of being done by 2017... or any real prospects at all. Rogers want them out of the Dome, and neither Braley, nor the government, wants to fund construction of a new stadium for them. That leaves BMO Field, which has perfect seating numbers, an outdoor experience, and an existing blueprint in place to make it big enough for CFL football, for a tiny fraction of the price of a new stadium.

I hate it, but it's true. Remember Leiweke's promises about going the extra mile to preserve the purity of the soccer experience, though? We need to make sure he honours those promises, in the event this comes to pass.
    My sentiments exactly. I feel like we have to trust them on this. Why build expand a stadium, install grass and spend millions on players IF our fears of a torn up football-lined field is going to happen? They must have a plan here they trust.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kshep View Post
    Or the Argo could always ground share with Hamilton, or start playing at one of the Toronto universities. .
    Argos play in Hamilton?

Ask yourself this - would you want the Impact to play at BMO?

That's the level of the rivalry.

Hey, I'd rather the Argos don't come in but this isn't about MLSE or TFC. Its about the city, who ultimately owns that venue, deciding who they want to put in there.

Moving forward, what needs to be worked on to maintain the TFC experience is

a) moving south stands provide a decent atmoshphere

b) Argos are NOT the priority tenant in terms of dates times and signage (this is going to be key as TSN is going to put a LOT of pressure on MLSE to buckle under on dates) There should be no Thursday or Friday Argo games followed by a Saturday or Sunday TFC game.

c) the grass to turf mix doesn't limit the potential to get decent DP's here, as it does currently in Seattle, Van, NE and Portland.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 02-21-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my Councillor:

Hi Robert,

Thanks for writing. While BMO Field is leased to MLSE by the City, they retain the right to program and retrofit it as they see fit. I do not believe there is a role the City can play between these two privately owned businesses as they continue their discussions with other levels of government, but I appreciate you sharing your concern for the well-being of BMO field.
    so all we can do is let MLSE know how much we are against this.
    call your ticket rep and anyone you can at MLSE letting them know how much you hate this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    From my Councillor:

so all we can do is let MLSE know how much we are against this.
    call your ticket rep and anyone you can at MLSE letting them know how much you hate this.
    Now just thinking of how they say MLSE has the rights to program and retrofit the stadium as they see fit doesn't that imply that MLSE can shut down the idea of Argos to BMO completely?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

Very well said. The voice of reason with an unbiased impartial look at the situation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    My sentiments exactly. I feel like we have to trust them on this. Why build expand a stadium, install grass and spend millions on players IF our fears of a torn up football-lined field is going to happen? They must have a plan here they trust.
    I should clarify that I don't identify in my post whether I "trust" them on this. Leiweke has shown a willingness to think big with TFC, but it's not clear a) how much sway Leiweke even has any more, because of his status, and b) whether he can physically deliver on the promise of having real grass that survives 9+ days (fewer I suppose, since the CFL season doesn't start until late summer) of 250lb CFL players stomping on it, and the removal of painted lines afterward.

Perhaps it is, but I need more concrete details on what they propose to do - not just flowery, best-case assertions. And in the meantime, I certainly think TFC fans should make their preferences known, as loudly as possible.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kshep View Post
    Or the Argo could always ground share with Hamilton, or start playing at one of the Toronto universities. Why do we have to ruin a perfectly good stadium that was never intended for CFL football.

The CSA should fight this tooth and nail, this is why many Canadians do not take Canadian soccer seriously.

If the various level of governments and current owner have no interest in keeping the argos, one of the countries oldest sports teams alive by providing a proper venue dedicated to CFL football, why should mlse or TFC even care.

I for one could care less if the argos fold, as for more than a quarter century no one has cared to properly run this franchise with any sort of vision for the future, taking cheap rent options at the dome and or backing out of partnerships that would have seen them in there own facility.
    Those ideas are ridiculous. Ground share with Hamilton? Play at a 5000 seat CIS stadium? Do you even consider what you're saying from an unbiased point of view. People need to stop bashing the Argos and the CFL and "hoping they fold." The CFL has a history that is engrained in Canada and should be cherished.

You talk about nobody properly running the franchice. Haven't TFC not made the playoffs in 10 years? You know never in their history. Also they got screwed at U of T. The new president came in and quashed the deal. Why does TFC get a free home with public funding but the ARgos dont.

And yes BMO was intended to be a football stadium as well....

Toronto Argonauts co-owner Howard Sokolowski insists the notion that BMO Field was intended to be a soccer-specific stadium is incorrect.
    And there appears to be evidence to back him up.
    Toronto city council minutes from the fall of 2005, at which $9.8-million of city money was committed to the complex, note that the stadium proposed for the exhibition grounds was to be "capable of a conversion to a football format."
    http://www.theglobea...article4222875/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but remember " King 10" that Sokolowski and his buddy left the CSA high and dry when they bailed out of the York University partnership with the CSA when they went running back to the Rogers Center, like I keep saying the Argos have only themselves to blame!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Argos play in Hamilton?

Ask yourself this - would you want the Impact to play at BMO?

That's the level of the rivalry.

Hey, I'd rather the Argos don't come in but this isn't about MLSE or TFC. Its about the city, who ultimately owns that venue, deciding who they want to put in there.

Moving forward, what needs to be worked on to maintain the TFC experience is

a) moving south stands provide a decent atmoshphere

b) Argos are NOT the priority tenant in terms of dates times and signage (this is going to be key as TSN is going to put a LOT of pressure on MLSE to buckle under on dates) There should be no Thursday or Friday Argo games followed by a Saturday or Sunday TFC game.

c) the grass to turf mix doesn't limit the potential to get decent DP's here, as it does currently in Seattle, Van, NE and Portland.
    A shouldn't be an issue. Retractable stands are nothing new. The stands at the ACC or even the metrodome retracted easily. Even BC place has retractable seats.

B is already taken care of as the original contract between MLSE and the City allows the city to host its own events or add its own tenants but TFC gets priority dates.

right of the City/Board to use the stadium for a significant part of any available dates annually on a cost recovery basis only for the City, CNE, World's Fair and Olympics (subject to use for regularly scheduled major league soccer games and FIFA games) and for other public events;

http://ottawa.ca/cal...Main Report.pdf

C shouldn't be an issue either because desso grassmaster is essentially grass and is already used at the top stadiums in europe. It isn't turf

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Yes but remember " King 10" that Sokolowski and his buddy left the CSA high and dry when they bailed out of the York University partnership with the CSA when they went running back to the Rogers Center, like I keep saying the Argos have only themselves to blame!
    That is correct. So wouldn't that leave them even. They got screwed. and then they left the table for a free lease.