View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 81 of 163 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,430 of 4872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ralph Wilson (owner of Bills) passed away today. Bills might be up for sale soon now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Ralph Wilson (owner of Bills) passed away today. Bills might be up for sale soon now.
    Just read that. Going to be interesting......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    Even with this, I don't think the Bills are going anywhere for awhile. They're presently completing a $230Million dollar state funded reno on the stadium. New York state was at least smart enough to get a guarantee that they would be paid back if the team left town. Assuming the new owner thinks $230 Million is a lot of money, the team will have to stay in Buffalo until 2020 -- when they can pay a measly $23Million penalty to leave town. Personally, I hope Buffalo manages to keep the team somehow. The NFL should allow communities to own teams -- but Green Bay is such an embarrassment to the billionaire owners they won't let it happen again.
    Last edited by Commie Red; 03-25-2014 at 03:16 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Just read that. Going to be interesting......

That is massive news.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ralph Wilson's passing could make things very interesting indeed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Red View Post
    Even with this, I don't think the Bills are going anywhere for awhile. They're presently completing a $230Million dollar state funded reno on the stadium. New York state was at least smart enough to get a guarantee that they would be paid back if the team left town. Assuming the new owner thinks $230 Million is a lot of money, the team will have to stay in Buffalo until 2020 -- when they can pay a measly $23Million penalty to leave town. Personally, I hope Buffalo manages to keep the team somehow. The NFL should allow communities to own teams -- but Green Bay is such an embarrassment to the billionaire owners they won't let it happen again.
    Good point. If Bills end up moving to Toronto to brand new stadium in 2020, what would this mean for TFC? We all know this will hurt Argos, but would TFC be affected by Toronto NFL team as well?

But the good news with Toronto NFL team will be it will increase our chances of hosting World Cup in 2026 by using their stadium to host games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    I think if you polled Torontonians, "Pinball" would have more name recognition than any past player on TFC.
    With a massive immigrant population, I am willing to bet that someone who has played in a World Cup that plays for TFC would have more name recognition than Pinball

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Commie Red View Post

Not to mention that Mr Wilson probably had a Will which may simplify or complicate the ownership situation going forward.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    With a massive immigrant population, I am willing to bet that someone who has played in a World Cup that plays for TFC would have more name recognition than Pinball
    Really? You saw the Torsten Frings subway video right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Not to mention that Mr Wilson probably had a Will which may simplify or complicate the ownership situation going forward.
    Even with a will, the family is selling. US estate law says they owe tax of aprox 50% of the value of any good that is inhereted. And Wilson didn't want to force his kids to pay over 400 million bucks to keep the team. That's why the move was always basically guaranteed after his death. His kids HAVE to sell. Whether ownership goes to one of them directly or to a trust. They simply can't afford to keep it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? You saw the Torsten Frings subway video right?
    i was thinking more like Jermain Defoe; don't think the Bundesliga viewership is what the EPL's is

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jermain Defoe's name recognition cannot be anywhere close to that of Pinball Clemons in TO. Let's be real.

Pinball's name was mentioned in sportscasts here for 6 months of the year for something like 20 years. He was a player or coach in multiple Grey Cups, one of the highest rated events on Canadian television. There is tremendous casual awareness here of Pinball.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's be real for a moment, Clemens retired in 2000

http://www.toronto.ca/toronto_facts/diversity.htm

10% of Toronto's population are immigrants that came to Toronto between 2001 and 2006; and Toronto's immigration has grown even more since then. I'd highly doubt any of them would know who Pinball Clemens let alone have half a clue what Canadian football is...just because it was highly rate in Canada doesn't mean it was highly rated in Toronto

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    Let's be real for a moment, Clemens retired in 2000

http://www.toronto.ca/toronto_facts/diversity.htm

10% of Toronto's population are immigrants that came to Toronto between 2001 and 2006; and Toronto's immigration has grown even more since then. I'd highly doubt any of them would know who Pinball Clemens let alone have half a clue what Canadian football is...just because it was highly rate in Canada doesn't mean it was highly rated in Toronto
    Couldn't disagree more here.
    He coached until 2007 - winning once in that time.

CityTV news and the Toronto Sun - both immigrant friendly media outlets - love that guy and has always given him ample air time and front page space. All you had to do was tune into the 6pm or 11pm newscast and you'd see Pinball on there at least 3 times a week. Plus he does a lot of charity work in poor communities in the city - communities that house many of that 10% you speak of.

You'd have to be living under a rock to have been living here between 2001 and 2007 and not known the name Pinball Clemons.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Funny. That's about all I can say.

Maybe I am wrong though. Let me try out the other side of this debate.

More people know World Cup footballers... well not that World Cup footballer that people passed by openly on the subway... the English one... than Pinball

TFC will have no trouble selling out 30k every night... hell they could do 40k and despite this massive demand, MLSE will keep prices reasonable.

TV ratings mean nothing. Everyone that tunes into an Argos game is watching the other team.

TV ratings only mean something if TFC is mentioned and it's up slightly. Then it means everything. Even if it is just a few thousand more than they got pre-2011, I already said it means everything.

Despite a higher season ticket base and average attendance, the Argos have no following.

How did I do?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Jermain Defoe's name recognition cannot be anywhere close to that of Pinball Clemons in TO. Let's be real.

Pinball's name was mentioned in sportscasts here for 6 months of the year for something like 20 years. He was a player or coach in multiple Grey Cups, one of the highest rated events on Canadian television. There is tremendous casual awareness here of Pinball.
    Pinball was at DeRo's foundation fundraiser on Saturday night and he still is the centre of it all. This city is so lucky to have this man from Central Florida land on our city street's back in 1989.

As a personal friend I could go on and on with the stories regarding the people, communities and beyond that he has touched and time given too. I for one truly believe an Argonauts team that finds an ideal environment where they can maximize their revenue and have a much better schedule of dates will once again perform well in this city.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinball has about 40X the name recognition Jermain Defoe has, in Toronto. I don't even think 40X is an exaggeration. Haven't read much of this thread since my last post, so I have no idea why this is being discussed, but just wanted to throw that out there.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also keep in mind Pinball is still pretty active in the community visiting schools, workplaces, etc.

He could run for office and win.

To many in the GTA he's just a former football player.

EPL is popular but Defoe is just a guy, a bit of star, but he's not a world wide name that some kid from Bangladesh would know even if he moved to Toronto.

But I guarantee you Pinball has probably gone to his school visit thereby ensuring the kid remembers his name.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Defoe is a TFC player but even when he was at Tottenham unless you were a diehard fan odds are you didn't know who Defoe is.

EPL is popular world wide but again Defoe was a never a big name or personality.

You have your global stars, for example Rooney, you have guys who stick out, for example David Luiz or Felliani, you have your famous managers like Mourinho but unless you are a Spurs supporter Defoe was just a generic player, albeit a good one, in the league.
    Last edited by Whoop; 03-25-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoop View Post
    Also keep in mind Pinball is still pretty active in the community visiting schools, workplaces, etc.

He could run for office and win.

To many in the GTA he's just a former football player.

EPL is popular but Defoe is just a guy, a bit of star, but he's not a world wide name that some kid from Bangladesh would know even if he moved to Toronto.

But I guarantee you Pinball has probably gone to his school visit thereby ensuring the kid remembers his name.
    I'd love to see Pinball run for mayor. Smart guy, nice guy, genuinely cares about the right things, and has the public exposure to get the kinds of votes necessary.

My only real fear, is that being put into the political meat grinder would ruin him as a person.

- Scott
    Last edited by Shakes McQueen; 03-25-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defoe is a TFC player but even when he was at Tottenham unless you were a diehard fan odds are you didn't know who Defoe is.
    That might be stretching it a little. Defoe was (is?) on the English national team, and scored a bunch of goals in that role, too.

- Scott

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For crying out loud he goes by his nickname!

You mention Pinball in the GTA people are more inclined to think Michael Clemons than the arcade game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny. That's about all I can say.

Maybe I am wrong though. Let me try out the other side of this debate.

More people know World Cup footballers... well not that World Cup footballer that people passed by openly on the subway... the English one... than Pinball

TFC will have no trouble selling out 30k every night... hell they could do 40k and despite this massive demand, MLSE will keep prices reasonable.

TV ratings mean nothing. Everyone that tunes into an Argos game is watching the other team.

TV ratings only mean something if TFC is mentioned and it's up slightly. Then it means everything. Even if it is just a few thousand more than they got pre-2011, I already said it means everything.

Despite a higher season ticket base and average attendance, the Argos have no following.

How did I do?
    Argonauts tv rating have never dipped to the dismal levels of TFC has experienced in the past. I really do not breve the Argonauts do not have a following, it in many ways is a sleeping bear that needs a kick in the ass. Montreal was in dire straits playing at the Big O and thanks to a U2 concert they had to move to McGill and have never looked back, it turned the ALS into a success.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For crying out loud he goes by his nickname!

You mention Pinball in the GTA people are more inclined to think Michael Clemons than the arcade game.
    This is why I always sign my emails and letters "Asteroids McQueen"

- Scott

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    That might be stretching it a little. Defoe was (is?) on the English national team, and scored a bunch of goals in that role, too.

- Scott
    Yeah but I doubt a Real supporter or a Dortmund supporter, or a PSG supporter or a São Paulo supporter, or a Zenith supporter etc would really know who he was.

Even if he was on the English NT.

Frings had had more cache than Defoe and it's not like Frings had a ton of brand recognition in Toronto.

(Though Defoe speaking English first will help going forward.)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re Defoe vs. Pinball, Unfair comparison, you need to ask the question after Defoe has played and coached here for a number of years. Pinball is also probably the ONLY Argo I can name. I don't follow gridiron much beyond enough to keep up with my friends who put up with me blabbing about soccer.

How about Beckham vs. Pinball though?

As for the Argos, I don't go because I don't like Sky Dome, if they played at BMO, I would likely get seasons in the cheapest seats (or maybe front of 200s, the best seats in the place to actually watch) because I enjoy a day out watching sports with friends /family and it is sure to be a great deal.

I don't camp/cottage etc, I love the city during the summer, and BMO is a kick ass place to be on a nice day.

Anyway, I may be one of the few, but I look forward to having the Argos at BMO

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    This is why I always sign my emails and letters "Asteroids McQueen"

- Scott
    Bwahahaha, I woke up my sick son who is sleeping beside me laughing at that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah but I doubt a Real supporter or a Dortmund supporter, or a PSG supporter or a São Paulo supporter, or a Zenith supporter etc would really know who he was.

Even if he was on the English NT.

Frings had had more cache than Defoe and it's not like Frings had a ton of brand recognition in Toronto.

(Though Defoe speaking English first will help going forward.)
    I thought you were referring to Tottenham/Engish fans - my bad.

At any rate, I essentially agree with your conclusion. Defoe will be mostly anonymous in Toronto. I imagine that's part of the allure to coming to MLS, for big overseas players: the chance at a real private life.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinball is currently raising funds to build 100 schools through his foundation and in partnership with free the children. You simply can't do that without name recognition. He like Clara Hughes will probably end up being know more for their post athletic careers. That being said I hope Defoe's name is know in every corner of this city by the end of the summer...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoying a Saturday night out at the Trump Hotel, all in the name of the DERO Foundation.