View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 34 of 163 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 4872
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocktml View Post
    Question.

When the NFL comes to Toronto, where is the team going to play? Rogers Center? BMO?
    They need to build a new stadium.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Why won't the Bills move to LA?
    It will up to owners once they buy Bills from Wilson family where to move the Bills. But however, the whole L.A. thing is kind of complex and it will be easier for Bills to move to Toronto (Bills territory). Also, there was/is rumours other teams in NFL (Jacksonville Jaguars) being relocated as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    I don't know why TFC fans CONTINUE to ignore this obvious and basic math. The Argos only have room to increase profits. They haven't lost money since the cap came into place.
    Not true: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/teams/story/?i...=cfl-argonauts

http://www.therecord.com/sports-stor...-losing-money/

Apparently on "sound financial footing" but not making money. If they own their own stadium then maybe but as of now, nope, still losing money with all their support, advertising, TV money, and history. Assuming that being the guest team at the all red BMO would make people feel like it's their stadium would probably be off base. They should just do the York thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Not true: http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/teams/story/?i...=cfl-argonauts

http://www.therecord.com/sports-stor...-losing-money/

Apparently on "sound financial footing" but not making money. If they own their own stadium then maybe but as of now, nope, still losing money with all their support, advertising, TV money, and history. Assuming that being the guest team at the all red BMO would make people feel like it's their stadium would probably be off base. They should just do the York thing.
    That's what I thought. Argos haven't made a profit in years outside hosting Grey Cup (which between they get taxpayer money to cover costs of hosting Grey Cup).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect any modifications to BMO would include lots of lights which can change color, like the Allianz Arena or lots of color changing displays like MetLife.

As for any thoughts of the Buffalo Bills, they can't be moved any time before 2019 without a huge financial penalty being paid. Part of the 130 million stadium upgrades agreement for Ralph Wilson stadium.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for any thoughts of the Buffalo Bills, they can't be moved any time before 2019 without a huge financial penalty being paid. Part of the 130 million stadium upgrades agreement for Ralph Wilson stadium.
    I think 2019 would be around what MLSE would want. Would take a few years to get a proper stadium built and running.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a CFL or NFL fan I don't care about such a slow sport.

What I see is a mismanaged team looking to leach off a others. And MLSE who don't care about anything but dollar signs seeing a easy short sited place to put them, and saying we don't care about soccer if we can pull more money out of the stadium with the extra few games a year.

They don't care about the experience of either set of fans, they figure Toronto Sport fans will come if you give them a roof.

If the Argos go into BMO and TFC makes the semi finals or finals in the next two years MLSE will ignore both teams put in just as much as is needed to keep them competitive with a play off spot once ever 5 years or so. I have no trust that either Bell or Rogers cares about anything more then the profit to work ratio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    They need to build a new stadium.
    So why not have the Argos share with the NFL Toronto team, instead of wasting our time expanding BMO to fit in the Argos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 2019 would be around what MLSE would want. Would take a few years to get a proper stadium built and running.
    I think the same thing. The dates are all lining up so neatly. Rogers goes grass only and baseball. Argos get set up in a nice new location thus ensuring their legacy in Toronto. The Bills come to Toronto but are put sort of in Toronto, somewhere like Milton with great highway access, more available land and just far enough away from the Argos that the NFL has no real concern about damaging the CFL.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocktml View Post
    So why not have the Argos share with the NFL Toronto team, instead of wasting our time expanding BMO to fit in the Argos.
    Because CFL field is 50 yards longer than NFL,and that would make NFL fans be far away from TD line,similar what probably will happen to TFC fans once Argo move in.

I know one thing for sure, I'll let my Councilor and MP know that I don't want to see $1 from tax being spend or borrower on Reconstruction of BMO,once was more than enough,if ML$E want Argos and BMO retrofit for CFL they should pay for it.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    I think the same thing. The dates are all lining up so neatly. Rogers goes grass only and baseball. Argos get set up in a nice new location thus ensuring their legacy in Toronto. The Bills come to Toronto but are put sort of in Toronto, somewhere like Milton with great highway access, more available land and just far enough away from the Argos that the NFL has no real concern about damaging the CFL.
    It should be other way around Argos to Milton/Vaughan,since Argos fans are 99% 905,while 416 would more support NFL and stadium in Downtown,where in downtown(no idea)but I'm sure ML$E has space avavibale for it already.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ The Argos are already established as a Toronto team. An NFL team could fit into quite a large circle around Toronto and still be considered a Toronto team.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    MLSE just shot themselves in the foot with all the good stuff happening lately. This kinda stuff makes them look pretty bad.

Agree 100%,all these "feel good" stories we read lately and then they find the way to make me feel like buy ML$E once again.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave67 View Post
    ^ The Argos are already established as a Toronto team. An NFL team could fit into quite a large circle around Toronto and still be considered a Toronto team.
    ML$E policy is stadium in Downtown Toronto or nothing,that's why BMO wasn't build at Downsview park even-though Downsview has more space,better access and now TFCA too.

NFL stadium will be in Toronto that's given,question is where.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What pisses me even more is not just BMO but Dovnsview park facilities too.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=442375

From the Argos perspective, the team is in desperate need of a new practice facility, having been told by the University of Toronto that its Mississauga campus can no longer house the football team. With three months until the opening of CFL training camps, a sale would presumably open the door to the Argos taking up residence at the KIA Training Ground, the practice home of Toronto FC which includes three full-size grass fields, four artificial fields and a 40,000 square foot field house in Downsview.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't like the Downsview thing either. Set them up in tents in the adjoining field or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't care if they train at Downsview.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really care about who uses the training facilities that much. TFC office can take care of their business there for all I care and can do whatever they want. As long as TFC bring a competitive team to the field week in and week out and can still attract talent who the hell cares what arrangements they make for training. Not like we have to work there and are somehow being personally affected by this if it happens. Now if you do work there and have to park farther from the building or wait longer in the cafeteria line I can see how it affects you and am sorry to hear about it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well, the winning country for World Cup 2026 gets announced in 2018 so Canada better have plans for a stadium in place before that for a World Cup bid.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUUUUUUUUUCK!!!

Fuck this motherfucking, son of a bitch bullshit!!

TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If MLSE buys it, Argos at BMO is a no brainer.

Lowest crowd of the season was over 18k last year with highs in the 30's. It's at least 9 additional rental dates at near capacity with a 75% chance of making the playoffs. All money that would go in MLSE's pockets if they structure the deal with the city the same way... reportedly earning 93% of all ticket sales. Plus, they wouldn't need to share any of that with the CFL since there is no revenue sharing/single entity ownership there.

Argos at Downsview is also a no brainer. They wouldn't need to rent any facilities.

They are coming. Accept it. Get the best deal you can in terms of roof and other assurances. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    ML$E policy is stadium in Downtown Toronto or nothing,that's why BMO wasn't build at Downsview park even-though Downsview has more space,better access and now TFCA too.

NFL stadium will be in Toronto that's given,question is where.
    All I can be is that guy who says he knows a guy, which is not worth anything. But for what it's worth (nothing) I knew a guy on the inside and the land being packaged together was not in Toronto, it was in Milton. But this was when Ted Rogers was still alive. I'm sure lots has changed since his passing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post

Don't care if they train at Downsview.
    So you don't care if training facilities that are used by our academy that should be world class (and by comments like from Bradley ect are world class) are diminished and take away from producing players for the first team and hopefully as seen with Osorio, Henry being huge peices of the CMNT doesn't matter?

To me that's backwards thinking. We should be trying to make our academy and Downsview to be the place in Canada that every player wants to come too. Diminishing it to acomadate pointyball is counter productive.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    If MLSE buys it, Argos at BMO is a no brainer.

Lowest crowd of the season was over 18k last year with highs in the 30's. It's at least 9 additional rental dates at near capacity with a 75% chance of making the playoffs. All money that would go in MLSE's pockets if they structure the deal with the city the same way... reportedly earning 93% of all ticket sales. Plus, they wouldn't need to share any of that with the CFL since there is no revenue sharing/single entity ownership there.

Argos at Downsview is also a no brainer. They wouldn't need to rent any facilities.

They are coming. Accept it. Get the best deal you can in terms of roof and other assurances. Anything else is wishful thinking.
    ...And even still they continue to lose millions.
    Expect attendance to drop significantly when people are faced with cold, hot, rain, snow and just over-all miserable days.
    Honestly, how many people are going to go to an Argo game when its 5 degrees, horizontal rain, and you have to sit there for 3 hours - no standing allowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember in high school in the 80's and big mouth Paul Godfrey guaranteeing NFL being here within 5 years of skydome being built, still not here 30 years later. I still can't fathom anyone coming up with 2+ billion dollars for an NFL team. The way I look at it Toronto has one already, in Buffalo, less than 2 hours away. Most people in Toronto would rather have a second NHL team here than an NFL team. I think a lot of people over estimate the NFL's appeal in Toronto, Toronto is a very cosmopolitan city with a European feel to it, it's not your typical ham and egger American city that MUST have an NFL team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BuSaPuNk View Post
    So you don't care if training facilities that are used by our academy that should be world class (and by comments like from Bradley ect are world class) are diminished and take away from producing players for the first team and hopefully as seen with Osorio, Henry being huge peices of the CMNT doesn't matter?
    Firstly, they have 8 fields, 4 of which are artificial. I seriously doubt there are all being utilized at the same time. To put it in perspective, Portland's new training facility/academy has two.

Secondly, that's just over-simplification. Any talent that comes through the CanMNT is done with a combination of talent, nuturing at grassroots, coaching and various other things like confidence and hard work. TFC's academy helps provide a route to the pros but it's not the be all, end all. If they faill, It certainly won't be because some CFL players were training nearby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by habstfc View Post
    I remember in high school in the 80's and big mouth Paul Godfrey guaranteeing NFL being here within 5 years of skydome being built, still not here 30 years later. I still can't fathom anyone coming up with 2+ billion dollars for an NFL team. The way I look at it Toronto has one already, in Buffalo, less than 2 hours away. Most people in Toronto would rather have a second NHL team here than an NFL team. I think a lot of people over estimate the NFL's appeal in Toronto, Toronto is a very cosmopolitan city with a European feel to it, it's not your typical ham and egger American city that MUST have an NFL team.
    I can't fathom Rogers putting up 5.2 billion for hockey rights, but they did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PopePouri View Post
    Firstly, they have 8 fields, 4 of which are artificial. I seriously doubt there are all being utilized at the same time. To put it in perspective, Portland's new training facility/academy has two.

Secondly, that's just over-simplification. Any talent that comes through the CanMNT is done with a combination of talent, nuturing at grassroots, coaching and various other things like confidence and hard work. TFC's academy helps provide a route to the pros but it's not the be all, end all. If they faill, It certainly won't be because some CFL players were training nearby.
    Pitches are underused now agreed. But with the academy continuing to bring more age groups in every year to the U8 eventually they will need the pitches.

Yes TFCs academy is not the be all end all by isn't that the point of an academy? The ultimate goal to become the go to place for the best training/development/facilities. Look at Barca, Ajax, ect this is where we should be striving to become for Canada.

There shouldn't be an option to Canadian kids growing up. It should be TFCA without question. Taking away the facilities to counter act that would be no different then pulling the grass up at BMO for turf again. Backwards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember hearing (maybe on Prime Time Sports?), that one of the barriers to the NFL in Toronto, was that the NFL didn't want to be seen as coming in and essentially killing off the Argonauts. As such, it was theorized that, as part of a long-term deal to get an NFL team, MLSE might agree to buy the Argos and operate them as a "loss leader" if necessary, to ensure the team's survival - as they would more than make back any CFL losses with an NFL team.

This news of MLSE seriously considering buying the Argos, makes me wonder where all of that stands.

I will say it now - I'm willing to endure the Argos at BMO Field, if it comes with a long term expectation that the Argos will get their own stadium, or if they are willing to make certain iron-clad guarantees about the soccer atmosphere. That means: No compromised sight-lines, no compromised locker rooms, minimal marring of the pitch with football lines and giant advertisements (possibly even finding a way to install astroturf over the grass for Argos games), and minimal destruction of the pitch. TFC remain the primary tenant, and soccer continues to be the priority at the National Soccer Stadium.

I understand that stadiums (and the land for stadiums) don't grow on trees, and governments are always wary about financing them. I also understand that the majority of the city's taxpayers probably doesn't care about soccer, and don't care about the spectre of putting the Argos in the same stadium as TFC.

We may ultimately have to play ball on this, but we need to fight to make sure the soccer experience is preserved, if necessary.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I remember hearing (maybe on Prime Time Sports?), that one of the barriers to the NFL in Toronto, was that the NFL didn't want to be seen as coming in and essentially killing off the Argonauts. As such, it was theorized that, as part of a long-term deal to get an NFL team, MLSE might agree to buy the Argos and operate them as a "loss leader" if necessary, to ensure the team's survival - as they would more than make back any CFL losses with an NFL team.

This news of MLSE seriously considering buying the Argos, makes me wonder where all of that stands.

I will say it now - I'm willing to endure the Argos at BMO Field, if it comes with a long term expectation that the Argos will get their own stadium, or if they are willing to make certain iron-clad guarantees about the soccer atmosphere. That means: No compromised sight-lines, no compromised locker rooms, minimal marring of the pitch with football lines and giant advertisements (possibly even finding a way to install astroturf over the grass for Argos games), and minimal destruction of the pitch. TFC remain the primary tenant, and soccer continues to be the priority at the National Soccer Stadium.

I understand that stadiums (and the land for stadiums) don't grow on trees, and governments are always wary about financing them. I also understand that the majority of the city's taxpayers probably doesn't care about soccer, and don't care about the spectre of putting the Argos in the same stadium as TFC.

We may ultimately have to play ball on this, but we need to fight to make sure the soccer experience is preserved, if necessary.

- Scott
    And I think that's fair.
    If our stands remain exactly where they are, there are no lines on the REAL grass, and the stadium remains red, Im fine with the Argos being there. If, however, any of those are ruined changed, I will strongly question my future involvement with anything TFC / MLSE.