Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Confirmed: McBride is Coming Back to MLS

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...622443,00.html

...After much consideration with my family, we have decided to leave Fulham after four and a half fantastic years," McBride told the club's official website.

"I have always stated my intention to return to America at some stage and this seems like the right moment in my career to move on...

Interesting- for a refresher, Columbus still retains his rights, right? Anyhow, still a great talent, and it seems like he's a pretty classy professional as well- good for MLS, wherever he goes.

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. This surprises me. I'm 100% for trying to sign this guy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who is holding the cards in the McBride sweepstakes? That would be Toronto FC, which currently holds the top spot in the allocation order. Trade offers have already begun pouring in, but prying away that allocation won't come cheap.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...de-leaves.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, this is going to be fun- nothing like trader rumours- a nice way to finish off the work day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Columbus: Rights to McBride and Cunny
    To Toronto FC: Robbie Rogers

hahahaha!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we get first dibs. I think we should possibly take a shot, unless we get a good offer in exchange for his rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's say we trade his rights, that means we move to the bottom of the order. Won't this hinder our chances of bringing in a DP that we want in June?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^I can't see McBride wanting to play here under any circumstances- the only reason he's quitting Fulham is for his family to come back state side, so I think that rules out TFC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All i have got to say is:

COME ON MOJO!!! I really hope he lands some serious money/allocation or picks up a nice trade ++++ MONEY!! This can really set us up real nice money wise for the future!!

You know what would be nice? to get a canadian player + allocation money + a DP slot!!!!! that would be amazing if you could get all 3 of those things!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joelakeshore View Post
    ^^^I can't see McBride wanting to play here under any circumstances- the only reason he's quitting Fulham is for his family to come back state side, so I think that rules out TFC
    He could always play for us and move to the beautiful city of BUFFALO and commute... LOL

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's so many details to this allocation business that I don't comprehend, and it seems that MLS kind of makes up rules for this kind of situation as they go along- so this is just a pipe dream, but maybe McBride to Houston for DeRo (even though we don't really need him anymore, but would still be awesome)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ives is saying that San Jose might actually own his rights now.
    "(According to this report from Centerline Soccer, San Jose general manager John Doyle is stating that the Earthquakes have regained the top allocation slot after releasing Peguero. If true, you can replace Toronto with San Jose in all the above scenarios.)"

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee dubya View Post
    Ives is saying that San Jose might actually own his rights now.
    "(According to this report from Centerline Soccer, San Jose general manager John Doyle is stating that the Earthquakes have regained the top allocation slot after releasing Peguero. If true, you can replace Toronto with San Jose in all the above scenarios.)"

Not according to this article:
    Fire technical director Frank Klopas and former Fire coach Dave Sarachan have both said in past interviews that McBride is interested in returning to his hometown and playing for the Fire. According to Klopas, the interest is mutual.
    "If he returns to MLS, we would be crazy not to consider someone with his talent," Klopas said in April. "He still has a lot to offer."
    During that interview, Klopas said Toronto FC gets first dibs on McBride. The Fire would need Toronto to pass on McBride or make some sort of trade in order to sign him. There's also the issue of his asking price, which isn't going to be cheap considering he's coming from the Premier League.
    Read more

But considering trade between TFC and San Jose for O'Brien they might have the rights on him,who knows.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McBride will go wherever he wants to go...Garber will allow it, as has been done before with Adu, Landycakes.

I just hope we get a large allocation, or if he signd for small potatoes, a DP slot.

Dero would be cool too.

If San Jose does in fact have dibs again, I'm pissed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me that MLS will do whatever they want to make McBride happy (i.e. making sure he plays for Chicago), even if it includes forcing TFC to give up their allocation for some token players/money/allocation spot...I don't know if this will work out too well.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joelakeshore View Post
    Seems to me that MLS will do whatever they want to make McBride happy (i.e. making sure he plays for Chicago), even if it includes forcing TFC to give up their allocation for some token players/money/allocation spot...I don't know if this will work out too well.
    Something for Nothing > Nothing for Nothing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reread the newest post in Ives blog.
    We have his rights and i doubt we will sign him.
    Im quite psyched to see what we will get for him.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is good news. Free stuff!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we are first on the allocation list, we would not get much for McBride's rights. Why would anyone pay much for a 35 year old?

I bet we'd pass to maintain our position at the top of the list.

No chance he's coming to TFC, imho. No disrespect to us, but McBride will value being able to put his kids in American schools etc

Also read this to see why San Jose might be back at the top of the list. Peguero (whom they used their allocation on) came in with a knee injury that hasn't healed, and is now out for the year....

http://www.mercurynews.com/sportshea...nclick_check=1
    Last edited by ensco; 05-28-2008 at 02:57 PM.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would be nice to pick up a midfielder who wont be away for international duties this year... or a bonafide striker!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll take a full allocation...and five bucks more a day in meal money for the $14,000 a year guys!

Five Bucks!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we are first on the allocation list, we would not get much for McBride's rights, . Why would anyone pay much for a 35 year old?

Seriously?

This is Brian McBride we're talking about. The guy who went to England at 31 and got better every year. He's America's Teddy Sheringham and him being 35+ will have little bearing on teams wanting him. He's got this year in him, and at least 1 more..maybe more. Saying "who wants a 35 yr old" does not apply in this case

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    If we are first on the allocation list, we would not get much for McBride's rights. Why would anyone pay much for a 35 year old?

No chance he's coming to TFC, imho. No disrespect to us, but McBride will value being able to put his kids in American schools etc

Also read this to see why San Jose might be back at the top of the list. Peguero (whom they used their allocation on) came in with a knee injury that hasn't healed, and is now out for the year....

http://www.mercurynews.com/sportshea...nclick_check=1
    Not to be a dick but Ives reiterates the fact that we still have top allocation and understandably so, just cuz they picked a lame duck to use their allocation on doesnt mean we should suffer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    Seriously?

This is Brian McBride we're talking about. The guy who went to England at 31 and got better every year. He's America's Teddy Sheringham and him being 35+ will have little bearing on teams wanting him. He's got this year in him, and at least 1 more..maybe more. Saying "who wants a 35 yr old" does not apply in this case
    yep, columbus and chicago fans are going nuts about his return, hes obviously wanted and thats fine by me. Give us some money and slots and such. GIMME.

I know Mo's gonna make it work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i personally think McBride is overrated - and I'm going bonkers over what some of these yanks would be willing to give up for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC should come out of this smelling like roses. From what we have seen of Mo, we know he knows how to wring everything he can out of a deal.

If he can get a major allocation (cash) out of this, we can ensure that we can keep the team together next year+ perhaps an improvement on one position. Don't forget that we are over the cap due to the allocations we got for finishing out of the playoffs and SJ's for O'brien. It would be a shame if we had to let Robert go to conform to the slary cap if we make the playoffs this year.

All in all, it is a good time to be on the top of the allocation list. I don't think we have to worry about the DP signing if we use this up because TFC can still use discovery to get the player that they want. I think we get 6 and only 1 has been used on Huckerby (that has been reported) so we may have a few left.

And who knows, maybe McBride would consider playing for TFC?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S_D View Post
    TFC should come out of this smelling like roses. From what we have seen of Mo, we know he knows how to wring everything he can out of a deal.

If he can get a major allocation (cash) out of this, we can ensure that we can keep the team together next year+ perhaps an improvement on one position. Don't forget that we are over the cap due to the allocations we got for finishing out of the playoffs and SJ's for O'brien. It would be a shame if we had to let Robert go to conform to the slary cap if we make the playoffs this year.

All in all, it is a good time to be on the top of the allocation list. I don't think we have to worry about the DP signing if we use this up because TFC can still use discovery to get the player that they want. I think we get 6 and only 1 has been used on Huckerby (that has been reported) so we may have a few left.

And who knows, maybe McBride would consider playing for TFC?
    playing in front of the best fans in MLS would be a bonus for him, if not try and deal him if TFC does have the rights to the Fire, just not the galaxy.
    Last edited by mighty_torontofc_2008; 11-25-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

S_D, youre thinking of discovery claims, we get McBride due to allocations which is different basically it means if a returning MLS player comes back to the MLS there is a list of teams that get to say whether or not they want to sign him. We dont have to sign him but we do have his rights and someone will have to trade for those rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe we get big allocation money we can spend on the DP Carver wants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    maybe we get big allocation money we can spend on the DP Carver wants.
    I would imagine that and/or a first round draft for next year and possibly one for the year after.

Mo will do good by us.