Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cunningham

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Esky didn't want to be here? where'd ya hear that?

not that I'd want Esky back, but the guy seemed to like toronto, did the blog thing regularly, and took it hard when he left.

when esky was aquired by TFC the reports were he wanted to be dealt to a US team (NYRB). The reports were he was not interested in coming to TO...got this from the NY city sports radio station wfan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cunningham is way past his sell by date..he's finished, a complete non factor in games. Get rid now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

====================
    Last edited by MisterMacphisto; 11-09-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    when esky was aquired by TFC the reports were he wanted to be dealt to a US team (NYRB). The reports were he was not interested in coming to TO...got this from the NY city sports radio station wfan.
    Esky may not have wanted to come here initially, but he wasn't traded for Cunny because he wanted out. He was actually pissed he was traded to Real Salt Lake (i remember his facebook account saying as much), particularly after being traded from DC to Toronto in the winter. He loved DC. With TFC he was even writing the team blog... which was actually quite entertaining

Anyhow, I heard Cunny was traded because Jason Kreis @ RSL disliked him. He said Esky was his type of player because he "worked hard". a little dig at cunny.
    Last edited by rocker; 05-28-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    Hella inaccurate. He talked at length about how gutted and surprised he was and even noted it as soon as he heard about it on his facebook. Not sure where they got that from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio2 View Post
    What is it with this guy?
    He is quite possibly one of the worst strikers I have ever seen.
    he cant dribble, cant time his runs, can't shoot and is lazy.
    yeas, he has 96 odd goals....big deal. Right now, he is shit and has been for a while.
    For the love of God Mo, get a striker in.....Id rather have Lombardo play instead of this muppet.

Infuriating!!!!!!
    You’ve gotta remember that he has accomplished what he has in the MLS when the league was without much of the talent it now enjoys. He was/is a one dimensional player similar to “Rocket” Ismail who had blazing speed and could catch virtually anything on the run. Cunny used to be able to get away with this lazy-ass bullshit but not anymore. This league is much improved and there is no room for players of his ilk. He’ll be out soon enough. He’s not currently doing anything to hurt us. He won’t finish the season with us unless the winning continues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think people should be cutting him anymore slack. I admit, I gave up on Cunny quite prematurely (at the end of last season) but I think that people have seen much, much more than they need to in order to conclude that his scoring touch has left him. The fact that he doesn't respect the game enough to put any sort of effort doesn't help his case either. At this point, I would be happy if we trade him to a team that is willing to pay half his salary. Nothing else required. Either that or ten double dipped black maple baseball bats would do quite nicely as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any thought to the fact he's a typical striker? sulky and sullen when it ain't working, king of the world, industrious and happy when it is? having said that, i'm about done with him too. i mean what true striker doesn't follow up on a penalty after the initial shot? i'm still pissed about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I DON'T think we could trade Cunningham for Edson Buddle (LAG). Remember him? He assisted on TFC's first goal by Danny Dichio... His propensity for missing open nets is infuriating! What good is it having wheels when you can't punch the ball into the net with your feet or head? The fat lady is clearing her throat right about now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer View Post
    You’ve gotta remember that he has accomplished what he has in the MLS when the league was without much of the talent it now enjoys. He was/is a one dimensional player similar to “Rocket” Ismail who had blazing speed and could catch virtually anything on the run. Cunny used to be able to get away with this lazy-ass bullshit but not anymore. This league is much improved and there is no room for players of his ilk. He’ll be out soon enough. He’s not currently doing anything to hurt us. He won’t finish the season with us unless the winning continues.
    Again, he had 16 goals and 11 assists in 2006 and 3 goals in 7 games for RSL in 2007. That cannot be the explanation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida_Toronto View Post
    Again, he had 16 goals and 11 assists in 2006 and 3 goals in 7 games for RSL in 2007. That cannot be the explanation.
    The explanation is that he only plays well in a 442 with a target man to draw centre halfs in, so that he has space to run wide, stretch the defense and sometimes get behind them. He can't play as a lone striker at the top of a 451 because he has too many players to beat, and they just double team him or drop extra guys back into the box.

This is due to the fact that he lack strength and ability to hold up the ball, and is only effective on the dribble. Look his career scoring record up on footballdatabase.com and you'll notice he's had seasons where he was practically completely shut out of scoring; you can bet the partnership he had up front at the time probably had something to do with it. One example would be when Brian McBride went out on loan, his strike rate disappeared to nothing, with just 2 goals in 20 in 2000.

And if you go back and look at his early partnership with Dichio last season and how promising it looked before both started having injury problems, it supports this idea.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

June is days away...you may not see him in our shirt with his hands on his hips ever again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida_Toronto View Post
    I have to disagree with everyone saying that MLS has outgrown Cunningham because it simply isn't true. In 2006 season Jeff had 16 goals and 11 assists which was his best year in MLS. The next year he had 3 goals in 7 games for RSL then got traded to TFC and he's only scored 4 goals in many games.

It's hard to blame MLS when you see these facts. He's just a player on the decline, that's all.
    MLS 2006 is very different from MLS 2008. The rule change of allowing 8 internationals, that rule alone will push out many of the dinosaurs of the past. The league is improving, hacks are getting weeded out. Next step is to double the salary cap and give a 2nd DP slot to all teams. Then these guys will finally be out of MLS.