Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default FAN590 & team branding

So, one thing in marketing 101 is that you need consistent branding.

Now that the FAN590 has a deal with MLSE, we are hearing a lot more about TFC. They even call the team "TFC" on the broadcasts.

However, on the FAN's "20/20 sports" news updates, they called the team "The FCs." Somebody needs to get all of their announcers on the same page. Otherwise we might be talking Dallas, or Barcelona.

I blame Cathal at the Star for all of the confusion.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see what the fuss is about. I mean.. at least its coverage. And you know they're not talking about any other football club in the GTA. I can see it being filed under "pet peeve" but is it really anything beyond that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    I don't see what the fuss is about. I mean.. at least its coverage. And you know they're not talking about any other football club in the GTA. I can see it being filed under "pet peeve" but is it really anything beyond that?
    hmm... The power in words

It's about Pride
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you consider it a knock on pride when they say FC?

I get that its generic and not true to the team, but its going a little far to say that referring to Toronto FC as "FC" and not "TFC" is disrespectful.

I supposed its really all down to personal perception.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny thing to me is that everyone wants team nicknames to grow organically. Yet when some people choose to shorten TFC to FC, it angers some of you guys.
    I mean it may sound nonsensical based simply on what FC stands for but I find that people just liked to shorten the name and in that way it's one of the most organic nick names that the average person has given the team.
    Personally I always say TFC or Toronto when referring to the team but FC doesn't bother me at all since normally in the context, I know exactly who they mean when they say it.

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm proud of the team, not their short form moniker

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it OK to refer to United as Man U?
    Most United supporters would say absolutely not. Why? Because of what it has stood for.
    Maybe not as emotionally charged a situation, but the ignorance of that douche Kelley, and his narrow minded cohorts at The Star, has made the debate emotionally charged.
    We were targeted and taunted by The Star for months over this issue, and in spite of the team backing us up, The Star continues to do so.

It's beyond pet peeve status.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm....

I'm thinking of bringing my little AM/FM radio into the game so I can hear the play-by-play as it happens. I know a lot of baseball fans do it that way. If it turns out that the Fan's play calling is shit, or it's distracting, then I won't bother with it anymore.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Thats a great idea. I think i am also going to wear my adult diapers, bring my cane and have my grandson walk me up to my seats lol.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

touche.

I'm in a sitting section, so I'm not worried about where to leave my walker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    Most United supporters would say absolutely not. Why? Because of what it has stood for.
    Maybe not as emotionally charged a situation, but the ignorance of that douche Kelley, and his narrow minded cohorts at The Star, has made the debate emotionally charged.
    We were targeted and taunted by The Star for months over this issue, and in spite of the team backing us up, The Star continues to do so.

It sounds like misdirect anger then. Get mad at Kelly for saying the league is a joke and the team will fail, but dont become partisan about it. Latching on to this "FC" thing is just grasping at straws.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post

Not trying to turn this into international team discussion since its currently not allowed, but I just thought it ironic that you referred to Man U simply as "United". There is more than one United...way more than one.

In any case, I will say no more about it.

Pet peeve or not, I think the sports media in this city can make the effort to refer to the team correctly - its Toronto FC, or TFC for shorthand.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like misdirect anger then. Get mad at Kelly for saying the league is a joke and the team will fail, but dont become partisan about it. Latching on to this "FC" thing is just grasping at straws.
    I don't latch on to it. In fact, I've used "FC" when in the company of people who insist on using it.
    I'm just lettting you know why some people get upset about it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Not trying to turn this into international team discussion since its currently not allowed, but I just thought it ironic that you referred to Man U simply as "United". There is more than one United...way more than one.

In any case, I will say no more about it.

Pet peeve or not, I think the sports media in this city can make the effort to refer to the team correctly - its Toronto FC, or TFC for shorthand.

I use United because that's what most supporters have told me they prefer.
    If the team uses it, and the supporters use it, I'll use it.
    If the casuals, and the antagonistic press use it, I'll be bothered by it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't see any reason to legitimize the Sun's coverage, or anything Cathal does, or doesn't do. I don't read him, what he calls the team means nothing more than the price of tea in China.

Having said that, if you call the team something that is an obvious reference to TFC then I'm not gonna knock it, cause that's all language is, and there's no reason to start a hate culture in this crowd...look what it does in Europe.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling any team 'FC' seems a bit strange given that it stands for Football Club. TFC is short for Toronto FC, just as Man U is short for Manchester United FC.
    Maybe we should just shorten it further, and call them 'C' ?!

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[sudden desire to offer two cents].

This is how it is, see ? The sport is football. Association football, to be specific. Soccer if you must. Now... the team is Toronto. They play football. They are a football club. Much in the same way that Liverpool, or Chelsea, or Arsenal are all football clubs. In the UK, since you're bound to be chiefly only ever speaking about one sport when discussing Arsenal, the 'football club' bit is unneccessary. No-one calls them Arsenal Football Club, or even Arsenal FC (and certainly never 'FC). It's just Arsenal. Or Liverpool, or Chelsea, or Man(chester) United (which is also a football club).

However, in the confused regions of North America, sports teams have nicknames as part of ther official identity. Not in the way that Arsenal are the Gunners, but in the way that Toronto Maple Leafs are the Maple Leafs. As a result, the media are at a quandry as to what to call the team : the Toronto FCs ? The FC ? It's ridiculous, but it shows that the mainstream North American reporter cannot cope with the idea of 'no nickname other than that which evolves'.

So, we now have a football team based in Toronto. If anyone's asking me (and they're not, I just feel like putting this out there), if we're talking about soccer/football (association), the name of the team is 'Toronto', or 'TFC'. Not 'FC', because it could be any bloody FC, and it isn't correct. Nevermind what the intention of the franchise owner/operators was/is. This is how it must be.

If the topic is sports in general, then Toronto FC, or TFC are correct. 'Toronto' would be vague, as there is more than one sports team in the city. FC would also be incorrect, but in this case because it sounds stupid (even though, by process of elimination, a conversation about Toronto sports that involved 'FC' could only be about one team).

I've gone so far as to take a pin and pick off the 'FC' thread on my Toronto FC cap, so that it now just says 'Toronto' on the front, with the MLS logo on the back. I must say, it looks sweet.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel the same way about it as I do Crocs.. It's ugly, embarrassing and drives me crazy, but I would never call anyone out for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me the "FC" thing is just about ignorance. It shows that the people referring to the team are really clueless and obviously don't follow things to closely. So when someone refers to our team as FC, I shut off the station or I mute it on TV. It's the same as Dobson (or should I call him Deboson, or dubmson) calling Guevara everything BUT Guevara. These people do this as a full time job, figure the god damn name out or don't say it. GEvera, GUevara, Guvuru, Govoro, fuck it's annoying, IT'S GUEVARAAAAAAA!!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ this is what i really dont get...what is ignorant about FC....there is no other team in the city that would be referred to as FC....and I hear people on the streets calling them FC all the time....it's only us supporters group crowds looking for a reason to be hard done by IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    ^^ this is what i really dont get...what is ignorant about FC....there is no other team in the city that would be referred to as FC....and I hear people on the streets calling them FC all the time....it's only us supporters group crowds looking for a reason to be hard done by IMO
    Umm..not really. The owners of the team would prefer the nickname to be TFC (as far as I know). The full name is Toronto FC. Therefore, it's only ignorant reporters who don't follow the team that call them FC. If you are going to report on the team, then atleast learn their damn nickname. Because as soon as you refer to them as FC your credibility is gone right out the window.

I must be clear about something, I don't knock regular people on the streets for calling them FC. It's not their fault the crappy media can't get the name right and that's where they learn it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard media folks that I know refer to the team as FC. When it happens, I'll politely give them a heads up that there are many supporters that prefer to hear "TFC" and not just "FC". If it means something to them, they change, if not, well, so be it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the media guides it says to refer to the team as Toronto FC or TFC. It used to be on the site, but couldn't find it since they redesigned it

found the old link
    http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/t280/media/
    Last edited by cuecas_red; 03-23-2009 at 02:52 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    I feel the same way about it as I do Crocs.. It's ugly, embarrassing and drives me crazy, but I would never call anyone out for it.
    Nascar wears crocs.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The average sports listener will get even more confused if the team is referred to as "TFC" half the time and "The FCs" the other half. "FC" is not a nickname like "Leafs." It is descriptive.

So all MLSE needs to do is give their media guide to the FAN broadcasters and make sure they read it.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The average sports listener will get even more confused if the team is referred to as "TFC" half the time and "The FCs" the other half. "FC" is not a nickname like "Leafs." It is descriptive.

So all MLSE needs to do is give their media guide to the FAN broadcasters and make sure they read it.
    i believe they did dating back to when we first got the franchise. certain media types purposely chose not to follow this guideline.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ proof or it didnt happen

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figure that term will fade as time goes on

CTV used it a lot tonight in their coverage of Saturday's game... but at least they are covering TFC now

With more coverage, I'm sure that they will learn proper terminology

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

The Leafs? Surely you mean "The ML's".

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    The Leafs? Surely you mean "The ML's".
    ... or the "HCs" (Hockey Club).