Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    just a wee point of clarification...we sold memberships for $50...just over 3,000 that turned into 10,000 season tickets when we started selling. but...who cares. I'm ecstatic that Vancouver is going to do well.
    I don't know who was responsible for the marketing of TFC and it's intial launch. However, I think they may very well be responsible for taking this league to the next level. This formula has been copied with successful results in Seattle and now Vancouver.

Without TFC's success Vancouver would never have even got a sniff of MLS.

With that being said..........let's see a freeze on ticket price increases...no need to be a bunch of greedy bastards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was so happy to see the game on Saturday on GOL that I recorded it and watched it again on Sunday... good old Brennan getting the first goal of the season brought tears to my eyes... I know we can take on Columbus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Is it me, or has Beretta like. . Beef'd up?

He looks fuckin MEAN out there!!
    Chad has been on a tear since the last game in SC. He missed a couple of close chances and played the rest of the game with a chip on his shoulder, and I could see the same thing in KC. If he keeps up being so aggressive in his play, he could go on a pretty good run of goals.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    I don't know who was responsible for the marketing of TFC and it's intial launch. However, I think they may very well be responsible for taking this league to the next level. This formula has been copied with successful results in Seattle and now Vancouver.

With that being said..........let's see a freeze on ticket price increases...no need to be a bunch of greedy bastards.

The person with the "vision" that made things run as well as they did from the get go, is the man you quoted in your reply. Without him, things would have been very different. I dread the day that he gets a better job offer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

QFT.

TFC made this league. That's all there is to it. If not for us, Seattle and now Van would not be having this level of success.

The one thing I'm curious about, though, is Philly. They're joining next year and we've barely heard a thing about them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's exactly how I feel. Seattle may have sold more season tickets (which is good, but you can't compare to TFC given that we have a smaller stadium) and Vancouver can come up with whatever numbers they want to make themselves feel better (but I still hope they do well only because they're Canadian and hopefully will help Montreal owner Saputo to get his butt in gear for the MLS) but TFC is the team that raised the bar so high for all others and I'm very proud of that. No one can take that away from us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    Seriously? Last time I checked Robbo was one of the top ball winners in the league

I was going to comment on that. What the fuck is Wheeler talking about? I have heard many knocks against Robbo, but his defensive skills have never been questioned. I am not sure what to say.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good on Seattle for getting 32,000 out for their inaugural MLS game. Good on them for having 22,000 season tickets sold in an NFL stadium. I think their fans will be great, and if they push us to be better, that can only be a good thing.

However, I'd be interested to see if they can fill a pub with 200 supporters for an away game. I'd be interested to see if they bring 100 fans to Kansas City.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the best part of Wheeler's article...
    "
    GOL TV's game-day production has a lot of potential. Sure, there were a lot of technical issues, but that happens in live production, especially on a first broadcast.
    Still, there are many issues that need to be dealt with from a creative approach to maintaining the integrity of the game from a soccer perspective. But the most important thing that has to be dropped are the tacky, full-frame player profile boards that were thrown up during live game-action.
    Soccer isn't like hockey or basketball where there's a lot of dead-time to fill. The game is constant and isn't conducive to filling space with unnecessary visuals.
    Because of the use of the boards, the lead-up to a Guevara tally was missed. This cannot continue to happen."

It was a decent first effort but I hope that the folks in charge of Gol's production discuss what worked and didn't work about the broadcast on Saturday night - specifically those player profiles (BTW, WTF was with RR's picture for his profile?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    QFT.

TFC made this league. That's all there is to it. If not for us, Seattle and now Van would not be having this level of success.

The one thing I'm curious about, though, is Philly. They're joining next year and we've barely heard a thing about them.
    We've heard alot about Sons of Ben from Philly. But you make a good point, haven't heard a thing about how many deposits or season tickets they've sold at this point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NF-FC View Post
    Seriously? Last time I checked Robbo was one of the top ball winners in the league
    Not only that (and this isn't to knock Robbo) but he isn't exactly the best distributor of the ball we have on our team. This shows how much he's watched TFC play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    who peed in Wheeler's frosted luck charms? save something for the article after a loss...why do Toronto press kill its teams' spirit? There's validity to his points, but he states we won, and proceeds to dismangle the game. where's the balance?

(yes - i typed "dismangle". It was a typo but i like it so I kept it in.)
    Good new word!

You'll probably experience a fair bit of this during the season; it's "I don't have a new angle" syndrome, common to young and inexperienced hacks. Don't have a new angle? Take a negative approach on a positive story. That should rile people up!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't do this every week, but...

Last year I wrote a weekly column for Ives. I went with more of a supporter's viewpoint thing than a analytical breakdown of the game. Although Ives isn't currently running A Supporter's View columns anymore, I decided to continue them at The 24th Minute.

I'm calling it Sober Second Thoughts (if you follow!)
    Here is this week's:
    http://www.24thminute.com/2009/03/so...result-to.html

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I was going to comment on that. What the fuck is Wheeler talking about? I have heard many knocks against Robbo, but his defensive skills have never been questioned. I am not sure what to say.
    Writer lost all credibility with me after i read that line... He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly has sold 6000 season tickets last I heard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Not only that (and this isn't to knock Robbo) but he isn't exactly the best distributor of the ball we have on our team. This shows how much he's watched TFC play.

He also said goalkeeping is our weak spot and that we have no depth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RPLProducer View Post
    Writer lost all credibility with me after i read that line... He has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.
    That is the only conclussion I can draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jeffro

I was puzzled by the goalkeeping thing as well, I was giving him the benefit of the doubt because I had not caught most to the game, and I though maybe kid messed up. I certainly would say that kid looks good, and goalkeeping is a solid position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Philly has sold 6000 season tickets last I heard.
    Wow. That's gotta be considered a failure by recent standards.

Course, once they have an actual team name and kit maybe people will get more excited.

Still don't know what they're waiting for, though, unless the owners can't afford it anymore.