Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laurent Robert

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Laurent Robert

He looks mad at, or upset with, his teammates, most of the time.

When he scored that great goal against RSL, he didn't run to the supporters.

If you see him outside the field, he seems distant and unapproachable.

He doesn't have much speed.

He isn't much for marking other players, and a lot of people think he's floating out there.

All he seems to be able to do is find space, take world-class free kicks, and make perfect pass after perfect pass. Oh I forgot, he's almost impossible to dispossess, even under intense pressure his ball will be delivered in the right place to a teammate. Another thing, he creates turnovers by seemingly appearing out of nowhere to intercept balls.

What a stiff.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-28-2008 at 06:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

He isn't much for marking other players, and a lot of people think he's floating out there.

All he seems to be able to do is find space, take world-class free kicks, and make perfect pass after perfect pass. Oh I forgot, he's almost impossible to dispossess, even under intense pressure his ball will be delivered in the right place to a teammate. Another thing, he creates turnovers by seemingly appearing out of nowhere to intercept balls.

What a stiff.
    Sounds like some good qualities to me! A little like Beckham in both pros and cons (NO I'm not saying he has Becks' skill, just shares similar attributes). As far as being upset goes, last night he looked upset more at the refs...you could see it looked like he was clearly fouled at some points, but no call.......and besides how happy would you be if Cunningham fucked up service after service all game from you?!?!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's been very frustrated with Guevara and Edu in previous games.

I think Laurent thinks Guevara is taking too many of the free kicks where they're both over the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's definitely a write off when there's any rain out there. Completely invisible last Wednesday...shades of his EPL days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's been very frustrated with Guevara and Edu in previous games.

I think Laurent thinks Guevara is taking too many of the free kicks where they're both over the ball.
    see his frustration with Cunny yesterday... I counted about 5 times when he was thinking ahead smartly and made a pass and Cunny had no fricken clue what he was tryin to do and the play died. The guy he works well with is Brennan, who understands Robert. Robert has too much class for some of the players on this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert was excellent... Did exactly what he was supposed to do...

Is he frustrated with teammates...??? Maybe - but every persons body language is different... Sometimes when someone 'looks pissed at his teammate' they're just pissed the play didn't work...

Robert has been first class since coming over - I really think were digging for something to complain about when complaining about Robert right now...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Robert has too much class for some of the players on this team.
    Bingo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not every player is going to run over to the supporters after a goal (would be nice though)
    Besides, he looked happy after the goal to Velez last night. Velez was subdued but only because I think it was an away game, otherwise dude would be going nuts. lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert is challenging the team to stand up and be counted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

see his frustration with Cunny yesterday... I counted about 5 times when he was thinking ahead smartly and made a pass and Cunny had no fricken clue what he was tryin to do and the play died. The guy he works well with is Brennan, who understands Robert. Robert has too much class for some of the players on this team.
    Only 5 times? Cunningham seems lost and uninterested out there. He can run, but not run, dribble, and shoot all in the same go. I understand why Carver has not played him more. His days have to be numbered 'cause he was aweful last night.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt he will be here next year. He is probably playing for a contract in Europe. His contract is non-guaranteed right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    I doubt he will be here next year. He is probably playing for a contract in Europe. His contract is non-guaranteed right?
    I think you're right about the contract.
    I do hope he's here though. Although if we do get a new striker (DP) it could help to change things...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree that he is mad...But I think he is mad because he knows that team can do much much much better!!! He had some very fast and sweet moves and blew by a few players in last nights game! His set peice cross for the goal was (in the voice of the "Special one") fantastic.It dont matter how many you put in the back of the net aslong as your seen as a threat on the pitch which will give other players on the team more room to move around since extra eyes will be on one more player! The best is yet to come for the team!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Only 5 times? Cunningham seems lost and uninterested out there. He can run, but not run, dribble, and shoot all in the same go. I understand why Carver has not played him more. His days have to be numbered 'cause he was aweful last night.
    I think there were about 5 times that him and Robert were not on the same page (and the fault was Cunny not Robert)... Cunny then went on to have a bunch of his own personal fuckups (what was with that pass to Dichio when Dichio was tracking back with the defender on him??? That's a pass that will rarely be successful ), and other TFC players couldn't get anything going with him either!

Heathen

... he seems distant and unapproachable...
    he's French

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If i set up cunningham several times and he blew it every time i'd be upset too. I think as a setup man he's used to playing with strikers with better finishing skill and he's starting to get frustrated with the level of finishing in this league

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From today's Globe and mail article:
    Despite the victory, Robert was not very impressed with his side's showing.
    "That was not the real Toronto FC," Robert said. "I've been here two months and I haven't seen us play that badly."
    No wonder he is frustrated most of the team played like shit,Cunny was the worst player on the pitch .Carver is right of keeping him on the bench.
    Robert was pushing it in second half like crazy ,but no one looked interested in scoring one more goal and secure the victory.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a stiff.
    i think you are looing too deep into his one... when you score a freekick most of the time players don;t run to the corner and celebrate, they celebrated in the midle of the field with the players... players celebrate with the fan usually on goals from play....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cunny was just horrible last night......... I honestly think he done at TFC. he showed some promise earlier in the year but now just seems uninterested when playing. Hopefully we can get that DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

definitely frustrated..

"That was not the real Toronto FC," Robert said. "I've been here two months and I haven't seen us play that badly."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...s-tor-mtl.html

with who? maybe everyone..

the coach needs to address the poor play of Toronto..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cunningham can't make a run to anticipate a pass if his life depended on it. Of course, if he could, he'd probably be playing somewhere in Europe, considering his deadly pace. Then again, he can't finish either, so that doesn't help. If he was any good at finishing, imagine what his jersey number would be!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 times is how may times i saw cunny with his hands on his waist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree with the above comments. May I add:

Don't forget that Laurent Robert seems to work very well with Marco Velez, setup both of Velez's goals so far.
    I am getting frustrated with Cunningham's lack of real effort and Edu is just doing enough to be on the first team, the man cannot for the life of me seem to strike the ball. Does anyone else see these 2 not playing to potential, or are there excuses not to bring it up.
    You have to be objective when you are critical, not just knee-jerk, which seems to be rapant on this message board.

Heathen

as I said in the game thread Cunny isn't interested unless he has the ball

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pleeeeaaaaasssseeeeee get rid of Cunningham. Last night was certainly the worst performance I've seen by him, and he hasn't exactly had many stellar performances for us. I don't care who we bring in, Huckerby, Ameobi, whoever - we need somebody and soon. Heck, I'd rather have Lombardo in there right now than Cuntingham.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Pleeeeaaaaasssseeeeee get rid of Cunningham. Last night was certainly the worst performance I've seen by him, and he hasn't exactly had many stellar performances for us. I don't care who we bring in, Huckerby, Ameobi, whoever - we need somebody and soon. Heck, I'd rather have Lombardo in there right now than Cuntingham.
    Agreed.
    Atleast Lombardo runs his @$$ off and tries. That's 1 thing everyone can agree on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    so true....the man (Lombardo) is 20 years old....after Cunny's "performance" last night, he should without a doubt be moved to third on the depth chart or moved out all together and Lombardo moved up, if he really is in TFC's future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gelato View Post
    as I said in the game thread Cunny isn't interested unless he has the ball
    and when he has the ball, he mostly has blinders on.... the only real passes he makes are backwards.
    usually he gets the ball and wants to beat every defender in a straight line to goal. cuz he's fast, sometimes it works, but then he can't finish when he gets golden opportunities.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Robert does have reason to be pissed at times...I've seen him run the ball in, make a great pass only to have someone fuck up the finish...can be frustrating when it happens numerous times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to be clear, I was being sarcastic. He's taken some criticism (mostly for being "lazy") because of his playing and personal style.

I think Robert is the best, and most important, player on the team.