Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    ^ ok... I just needed it cleared up... I just thought that perhaps the offside player was affecting play.

and thanks to dannyd for being an jerk...
    Sorry I don't mean to be a jerk. I just find it precocious that some people (not you neccessarily) who have so many strong opinions and like to tell others our opinions don't matter, that these certain people (aka Shakes) don't even understand one of the games basic rules, which isn't really complicated to anyone who's actually watched soccer closely for more than a couple years.

It just makes me wonder, thats all...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by onemanbarmyarmy View Post
    If I'm not mistaken one of, if not the , "goalden" (sp. but it stays) rules is to play till the whistle blows. Do your job and save balls like Donovan does for Becky.
    It isn't about playing until the whistle, as I mentioned before. It's about Cepero being forced to position himself in relation to people who are technically offside on the play, as the Seattle player was on Montero's first goal.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Sorry I don't mean to be a jerk. I just find it precocious that some people (not you neccessarily) who have so many strong opinions and like to tell others our opinions don't matter, that these certain people (aka Shakes) don't even understand one of the games basic rules, which isn't really complicated to anyone who's actually watched soccer closely for more than a couple years.

What the hell is your problem? I've never told ANYONE that their "opinion doesn't matter". In fact, I've generally gone after the people here who denigrate people for their opinions.

I understand the rule at play here perfectly, and the offside player should have been considered part of the play, due to his proximity to Cepero.

Unbelievable that you literally apologize to flatpicker for being a jerk, and then proceed to call someone else "precocious" in the same damn sentence, tell me I don't understand basic rules, and then tell me how long I've watched soccer??

What a piece of work.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it outside you two. This can easily be sorted through PMs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    first off the team has not been shite for the first two seasons, the have been competitive for the most part, and last year if they caught a few breaks, like not having to play shorthanded might have made the playoffs.
    Its seems like you want a Cup winner from day 1..guess what it doesn't happen that way!! It takes time to build a contebder and ever 5 years might not be enough...there is too much talk of TFC winning a lot this year, for me a .500 record would almost be certain of a playoff spot,
    and the Canadian Championship would be nice too,but not at the expence
    of having a stronger club in years to come...Carver and Johnston need
    more time..a certain hockey team has waited 42 years for a championship team...we Reds fans can have a bit more patience!!

No I wanted us to win the cup in out first game. You are right.

What I want is real progress in quality of play on the field. I am not sure what team you have been watching, and we have been good and competative for streches in both season, we have been awfull for far too many streches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Take it outside you two. This can easily be sorted through PMs.
    I'm not intending on dragging this out, but being called "precocious", and accused of telling people their opinions don't matter in public, begets a public response from me.

- Scott

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post

I have enjoyed the game for a long time... though I wouldn't say I have been a "student" of the game and studied it closely until a few years ago.
    I will freely admit that there are many people here who understand the intricacies better than I do.
    If I'm wrong about something then I have no problem accepting that fact.
    I was just curious because I had some confusion about the rule.
    But after the last couple of pages I admit... I am still confused!
    But I won't get into an argument about it... civil dialogue is good for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how the fuck is it that the Seatle Wankers play their very first game ever...at home.
    Yet TFC in its third season has yet to play their season opener at home?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alixir View Post
    how the fuck is it that the Seatle Wankers play their very first game ever...at home.
    march game in potential snow and near 0 degrees, good luck convince folks south of the border
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pekduck View Post
    march game in potential snow and near 0 degrees, good luck convince folks south of the border
    Problem is, places like Boston, New York, Columbus, and Chicago aren't immune to such weather conditions in March, yet you never see them being denied a home game in week 1.

I really hope next season is our chance to start the season at home. It smacks of unfairness always having to start the season on the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post
    Problem is, places like Boston, New York, Columbus, and Chicago aren't immune to such weather conditions in March, yet you never see them being denied a home game in week 1.

I really hope next season is our chance to start the season at home. It smacks of unfairness always having to start the season on the road.

And finishing the season on the road, too. Come on, one or the other.

It can't be blamed on weather at the end of the season because we'll have playoff games at BMO after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for a see-through bubble at BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    I have enjoyed the game for a long time... though I wouldn't say I have been a "student" of the game and studied it closely until a few years ago.
    I will freely admit that there are many people here who understand the intricacies better than I do.
    If I'm wrong about something then I have no problem accepting that fact.
    I was just curious because I had some confusion about the rule.
    But after the last couple of pages I admit... I am still confused!
    But I won't get into an argument about it... civil dialogue is good for me.
    If you are still confused let me try and clarify. I think we all agree on what the rule is. If there is a player in an offside position, and the ref deems him not to be involved in the play then the ref doesn't have to blow the whistle. It's a judgement call from the ref, which means there will always be calls where people will question the ref's judgement.

The only disagreement here is in specifics to the play that we are discussing. Nyassi was definately in an offside position when Montero scored his goal, that I think we can all agree on. The MLS ref chose to let the goal stand because he demmed Nyassi to not be involved in the play. Shakes disagrees with the ref, I agreed with the ref.

I actually admit it was close and it could have gone both ways, but in the end, I felt the ball was going in the net no matter what, and I felt that the goalie squared up perfectly to Montero, I don't even think he saw Nyassi coming. I also didn't see a single complaint from the goalie or any NY player, which usually says a lot.

Either way, the good thing is Seattle won 3-0 so really, there is no excuse. (not suggesting anybody here is trying to make one, but I could see NY fans getting all over this one).

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ okey-dokey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FO wants it that way. I think they make a deal with the league.

MLSintoronto confirmed this a while ago I think.

It's a bubble/weather issue.

Boh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfcleeds View Post

Canadian thanksgiving is in Oct, US is in Nov.

It's fall time in NYC in their thanksgiving and we are already having snow from time to time. Similarly, US Northeast is still south from us
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similarly, US Northeast is still south from us
    No it's not. Toronto is at 43 degree north latitiude, Seattle at 47 and Portland at 45. They do have a more temperate maritime climate but are definitely further north

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    And finishing the season on the road, too. Come on, one or the other.

It can't be blamed on weather at the end of the season because we'll have playoff games at BMO after that.
    Well Said.....Yes we will!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.soundersfc.com/

Check out the video titled "Drew Carey". It looks like seattle is going to be one of the better fan bases in the league. 3000 joined the march to the stadium, complete with a marching band (organized and paid for by the FO, but still must be a helluva lotta fun for the fans).

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Good.

They've got a solid team and a great young player in Montero. Great fan base and support and ownership that gets it.

Congrats to Seattle on a great debut. These guys aren't a real expansion team.

I think they'll do quite well (though the Red Bulls were awfully shite in that match)
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boooo
    Yamagata of J-League played their first game of the season in snow so bad they had to switch to a flourescent orange ball for most of the game so they could actually see it.
    fuckin yanks are such pussies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boooo
    Yamagata of J-League played their first game of the season in snow so bad they had to switch to a flourescent orange ball for most of the game so they could actually see it.
    fuckin yanks are such pussies.
    Why do people take every opportunity to randomly bash the "yanks"? This has nothing to do with the Yanks. Due to various issues regarding public usage/bubble etc at BMO Field, the home opener in Toronto takes a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Toronto Blizzard played in snow at the old Exhibition Stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Why do people take every opportunity to randomly bash the "yanks"?
    cause its fun...and easy.