Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Velez

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Velez has played quite well for us and deserves to start. Very happy we have three guys capable of starting on the back line. Velez will likely fill in for Wynne when he goes with Marshall and Tebily in the middle. Velez loves it here and I think he deserves to be in the starting eleven for sure.

JDV and Nigel were at Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think those scares have come lately, he has been almost perfect for the last couple of games against good offensive teams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ really? You weren't nervous all last night watching him try to defend against the speedy Montreal attack? Granted in the end we didn't concede a goal but Montreal had some pretty good chances out there and if the ref wanted to, he could have awarded Montreal a penalty kick.

Like I said, the guy has improved quite a bit but I still get nervous when I see him out there one on one against a striker.

Doesn't Tebily also play RB? I thought that was part of the reason he was brought in (as cover for Wynne)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

velez is indeed one of this years surprises thus far.. He is getting stronger with every game he is playing and just needs to watch out when he and wynne have already lost positioning to not resort to pushing players...

He deserves to be mentioned as the most improved player for TFC so far..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not seen him beat one on one since the Donovan Play. I did not see yesterday's play, but from what I read he was not beat one on one. He has marked some pretty good guys and left them scoreless. Just as I thought that the team defence was a team issue at the begining of the year, now that it is going good it is also a team acomplishment, from the midfielders to the defenders, and Marco together with everybody else has made the adjustment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm quite glad Velez is getting the recognition he deserves. After the first few games I was worried that he was going to get the same rap as Lombardo has gotten on this board. The guys who sit in front of me were giving me the gears when I cheered for Velez through the first few games right up until that goal at BMO. Now everyone loves the guy... hehehe...

PS Was I dreaming or did Velez send up a great ball from inside his own half to near the opposing 18 yard box?
    Last edited by iansmcl; 05-28-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ohmar21 View Post
    I dont think you can sit any of them. Marshall and Velez have played very well together, and you would never want to have someone lose their job because of being hurt. Also I understand that Olivier played well but it was against USL. He will have his chance to prove himself because of the international duties, for know he is a bench player.
    Only by circumstance. You don't get your contract renewed twice at Birmingham City by being a guy who only shines against USL level teams; for all the 'bombscare' jokes over his own blunders in the past, that did not look to me like a man who lacks focus. It looked like a guy who wants to rip the entire of English football a new one and prove them wrong.

To me, Velez -- as much as he has been improved -- still makes quite poor positioning and marking decisions from time to time. Marshall has been positionally and technically brilliant, but is getting quite slow. Whereas Tebily, if he keeps his head in it, shouldn't suffer from any of those issues.

To me, you platoon. But Carver has said he won't do that, so I've gotta go with the two most consistent guys, which -- and I say this bearing in mind that we've only seen him recently in the Montreal game -- are probably going to be Marshall and Tebily.

I should also say, though, that maybe Velez being called up and Marshall injured is a blessing in disguise; Julius James was bar none our best defender in pre-season, according to several of the writers who were down there. I believe Millson from the Globe mentioned it in on his blog.

So maybe our two starts, recent results notwithstanding, should be James andTebily. I guess we'll get some idea on Saturday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MARCO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marco has improved so much. He defiantly is a very passionate player. Just got to love it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velez!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tfc_4_ever View Post
    Velez!!!!!!!
    thank you

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valez has the passion, the dedication and the heart. He can be taught skill and he has been learning. He is twice the player from the beginning of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pearce321 View Post
    How does Velez have 2 goals and people like Wynne and Edu don't!
    Great job by Velez!
    It is not unusual for CB to score goals like Velez has from set pieces. Their size and strengh makes them great targets.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difference between Velez and Lombardo is that Velez has gotten better as games went on. Right now we all have as many goals as Lombardo has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    Right now we all have as many goals as Lombardo has.

Did you score against Aston Villa?

I'd rather see Lombardo play over Cunny. Atleast Lombardo doesn't play with his hands on his hips.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was great to see him win over an old rival in the USL...