Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's their promo vid -- gotta say, pretty well done . . . playing up on the history of the Caps:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    stupid to expand in this economic state........what they should be doing is moving teams out of the unprofitable areas

actually it might be a great time. with all the infrastructure money flowing from the governments, not only is there a better chance to get money for the stadium, but also other improvements to the area, like transit, roads, etc.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see this become official but I'm skeptical about the Caps planned move to a new waterfront stadium. A lot of money is being spent to improve BC Place and it would seem logical that they'll want the soccer team in there for the long haul in order to recoup it. Provincial money going into the stadium upgrade could create long-term difficulties in getting approvals for building a new ground.l

Kinda silly artist rendering showing no supporters sections behind the goal, but rather posh field level suites full of Biffs and Barbies. And what's with the big mob of people standing along the sidelines, blocking the view of fans seated in lower rows?

And isn't the roof a little low? Likely to have 'keepers kicks bouncing off it.

All in all, great to see Vancouver in, creating several great rivalries. Whether or not Lenarduzzi's right when he says they are a better soccer market than here, the fact remains that the Whitecaps name has endured through good times and not-so-good and fans there have kept faith with it. This will be a very successful team and will put a big shiver into the CFL, where they really need the Lions to stay healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DOn't know if this was posted already but
    SPORTSNET JUST STATED THAT VANCOUVER ONLY PAID 35 Million can anyone confirm this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    SPORTSNET JUST STATED THAT VANCOUVER ONLY PAID 35 Million can anyone confirm this?
    supposedly Garber said it on the radio

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Garber just said on Team 1040 in Vancouver that Vancouver paid $35 million USD in cash upfront. So he took less than 40 million. No payment plan.

olegunnar

Quote Originally Posted by gmacpheetfc View Post
    I wonder what impact (pun intended) the residency/acedemy issues had on the expansion fee being lowered.

If there was a breakdown of costs and the acedemy set up was part fo that cost it would seem to be Vancouver wouldn't need to pay that cost if they're keeping their own system intact.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    Kinda silly artist rendering showing no supporters sections behind the goal, but rather posh field level suites full of Biffs and Barbies. And what's with the big mob of people standing along the sidelines, blocking the view of fans seated in lower rows?
    And isn't the roof a little low? Likely to have 'keepers kicks bouncing off it.
    don't read too much into the artist's rendition of the possible Waterfront stadium.

That drawing has been around for years now, as they've been working on this project for, I think, 5 years. That drawing was also made when they planned the stadium to have 15000 seats. The newer plans were for more seats than that (I think 20000 minimum).

I would think people would be quite happy with Vancouver's stadium plan, given it has grass, 20000 seats, and a roof. Their stadium plan is better than Saputo's expansion plan.

I do agree that there may be some reluctancy to lose the Whitecaps to Waterfront stadium from the government. I hope there's no "behind the scenes" bullshit to prevent the Whitecaps from ever building it there so they have to extend their BC place lease.. But they could easily threaten to build somewhere else in the city too, and the province, which owns BC Place, would be shit outta luck anyways. The great thing is Kerfoot would build it with his own cash, so he never has to come begging.

And I finish my message with: Fuck the Shitecaps!!!
    Last edited by rocker; 03-19-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he was referring to the BC Place soccer setup

since he mentioned the low roof being a problem, which it wouldn't' be going by the waterfront stadium sketch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)