LOL - that's funny

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azerban View Post
    also patriotism and nationalism is a tool of the ruling classes, to distract the commoners from real and everyday social injustices with petty tribal conflicts

hurfdeedurf

see...this boy knows.....he knows

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Mizz View Post
    You can't tell me it's not worth fighting for,
    You can't tell me its not worth dying for
    everything i do should be our you'll never walk alone and anyone who says different can jump in the lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I had my first King Dave experience[...]was blowing in my mouth all game.

I loved it, it tasted like Canada!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't realize what a part Bryan Adams played in my genetics until just now, who said you don't learn useful stuff on message boards
    Last edited by T_Mizz; 03-16-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Ok maybe you'll see it if I pose it this way. TFC in 5 years gets an opportunity to bring in a future south american star. For whatever reason, this 14 year old decides he wants to come to Toronto (parents are moving here and he wants to be close to them). He's highly regarded as the next Leo Messi. Are you telling me you would oppose him coming because he's not Canadian?

This is not about Club before Country. This is the club's investment and therefore it should benefit the club first. The day the CSA decides to invest in a real system then you'll start to see players being developed for Canada.
    That's a hypothetical situation that really won't exist for the MLS unless it significantly changes its financial model. I'm dealing with the here and now. For instance, the Sanyang guy is playing for our academy until he turns 18. I have no problem with that as he is guaranteed a senior spot. I have a problem with displacing Canadian talent out of the squad because it serves TFC to have Canadian players. Roster restrictions have hampered TFC because there are not a lot of quality affordable Canadians, hence we have Harmse in the lineup (he's improved but...not enough). Also, Canadian players have more loyalty to TFC. DeRo and Serioux were traded to TFC due inpart from players' desire to play for TFC.

As for H-Bomb...your an instigator. Nothing more. If you want to pray on one man's love for his country to start a fight, you won't find a dance partner over the internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one think the academies of Vancouver and TFC should be allowed special privliges because of the thinner talent pool, for example we should be able to sign unlimited players whenever we want (it will realistically only be a few anyway)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dude...jesus come on....it has nothing to do with "loving your country" I'm a proud Canadian...But I believe in human rights, not human rights for Canadians. And within that I believe every human should be judged on their merits, and their merits only. So if trini footballing kid over here is better than canadian footballing kid over there, then we take the trini.

So consider your country love prayed on?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it was the archaic nationalist view point or whatever land mass you were squeezed out on comments...not your view point on the topic.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they were valid points

football is a global economy and if you're restricting yourself based on the cool picture on peoples passports you're only handicapping yourself

if the csa wants to set up a canada only academy that's more their domain and completely their choice to do so but i don't see that happening anytime soon

expecting a corporation to fix the national team is unrealistic
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I had my first King Dave experience[...]was blowing in my mouth all game.

I loved it, it tasted like Canada!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ohhhhh, you thought I was trying to be an asshole. I wasn't...just talk like that on the internet. I do think most forms of nationalism are archaic, but I also think being an Aston Villa supporter in next to insanity...

pick your poison really

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right then, so if the TFC Academy only produced international (non CMNT) players that were successful in the MLS then the academy would have served its purpose.

I don't expect TFC to fix anything but their defense at the point let alone the national team.

Just out of curiosity if we're going with the business side of things, which do you think will grow the market (TV and merchandise) quicker. A CMNT appearance in the World Cup or TFC winning the MLS championship. While its doesn't guarantee more TFC fans from Canadian support it would probably help.

H-Bomb I do appreciate the clarification

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well in this case the TFC academy would mean many naturalized prospects that would count as domestic under the MLS system. Meaning that while not helping the CMNT it would help TFC become stronger overall and win that Championship
    Last edited by H Bomb; 03-16-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even the Whitecaps Academy, the same program that many on the Voyageurs board slobber over, has players from other nations within theirt ranks. I believe they have a current Jamaican U-20 international, plus a handful of players from other countries.

But the lion's share of the players will always be from the BC area, because of obvious reasons. The same would be true of TFC's academy.

Isn't the point of an academy to expose the kids to the highest level of training possible? Wouldn't that include having the best possible teammates to train with and against, day in and day out?

A good club academy will develop national team players for its country as a side effect of the main goal, which is to improve the club overall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are waaaaay to polarized on this, there's a possibility for there to be a healthy balance of Canucks to foreigners, which at the moment is definitely leaning toward the Canucks side, this is the way Football works, Man U's academy I'm sure has a much higher foreigners to Domestic rate than we do, and those foreign players are every bit as important to the domestics who are in the academy, because they make the overall level better and push each other (including the domestics) to be better players, which will ultimately end up helping both TFC and the CMNT immensely.
    PS Vancouver is the best academy in Canada and they still have quite a few foreigners (you bugger Rudi you beat me too it, it being every damn thing I said!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Mizz View Post
    (you bugger Rudi you beat me too it, it being every damn thing I said!)
    LOL!

Great minds...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what? He is playing for T&T's U-17. I believe there are 6 TFC kids playing for Canada's U-17. I am guessing that Macleod wasn't good enough for Canadian U-17 team so he decided to play for T&T's U-17 team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    So what? He is playing for T&T's U-17. I believe there are 6 TFC kids playing for Canada's U-17. I am guessing that Macleod wasn't good enough for Canadian U-17 team so he decided to play for T&T's U-17 team.
    My thoughts exactly, we've got that entire list I made on the first page of this thread and probably more

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DigzTFC! View Post
    I do care about the state of football in Canada and want to progress. TFC is part of that and has a responsibility to develop players for Canada
    Wrong! TFC is a professional football club who have a responsibility to develop players for the club. Full stop!

If it happens that they can attract good Canadian talent and help them develop all the better but they have no resposibility to the canadian national team. That is the CSA's job. One they have been failing at for years.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    Even the Whitecaps Academy, the same program that many on the Voyageurs board slobber over, has players from other nations within theirt ranks. I believe they have a current Jamaican U-20 international, plus a handful of players from other countries.

But the lion's share of the players will always be from the BC area, because of obvious reasons. The same would be true of TFC's academy.

Isn't the point of an academy to expose the kids to the highest level of training possible? Wouldn't that include having the best possible teammates to train with and against, day in and day out?

A good club academy will develop national team players for its country as a side effect of the main goal, which is to improve the club overall.
    I hope that TFC Academy will develop great players for the CMNT. That being said, having a few very good players with other nationalities will actually help advance that goal. The two go together.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we're developing players for the club first and foremost

...and he can always pull a JDG2 later on in life, and say his time up our academy made him "feel" Canadian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the name of the academy again?

Toronto FC Academy

Not the Canadian National Academy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for the lad. How is our academy any different from that of Liverpool or Manchester United? It's about developing players for the first team.

The world of football is littered with youngsters playing in youth academies outside of their country of birth. The world of football is also riddled with footballers playing for national teams because of heritage and not actual birthplace.

To me it's a non-issue. Good for the lad himself and yes it brings some attention to the academy itself and might mean another promising player chooses to play for us at some point.

You're beef is with the CSA and not TFC. Until the whole thing is blown up and rebuilt properly then this will continue to happen and even then it still will based on where the player thinks he will get more games.

Love that you're passionate about the national team but your anger is misplaced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    What's the name of the academy again?

Toronto FC Academy

Not the Canadian National Academy.

yea i think people are starting to forget the difference between the TFC Academy and then U-17 Candian National Team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shaggingscot View Post
    Good for the lad. How is our academy any different from that of Liverpool or Manchester United? It's about developing players for the first team.

The world of football is littered with youngsters playing in youth academies outside of their country of birth. The world of football is also riddled with footballers playing for national teams because of heritage and not actual birthplace.

To me it's a non-issue. Good for the lad himself and yes it brings some attention to the academy itself and might mean another promising player chooses to play for us at some point.

You're beef is with the CSA and not TFC. Until the whole thing is blown up and rebuilt properly then this will continue to happen and even then it still will based on where the player thinks he will get more games.

Love that you're passionate about the national team but your anger is misplaced.
    very great point.
    everyone wants to create a european club, thats what it takes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol i understand this is the TFC supporters club forum but okay ryan plays for tfc academy he is committed to them but at the same time he was asked by Trinidad to come out. Trinidad's soccer program isn't as good as Canada but they do have more success than Canada. Also, you're grown up in Canada but doesn't mean you drink maple syrup and eat timmies all the time. He was grown up listening to soca, eating trini food, etc. Playing for Trinidad is a big honour and it is his decision to which country he would play for. And another thing all you people bashing on him saying how Canada probably never asked him. Canada went to the academy picked the tallest kids and left. Ryan isn't a big as many of the players as stated by the academy coach. But when Canada heard of his performances with Trinidad they hoped on the wagon and called him straight away. Why the hell would you play for a country who didn't look at you the first time?!

-just my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a thread on this player over at the Voyageurs board. He was born and raised in Canada to Trini parents. He's fully Canadian, even plays soccer in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rooney17 View Post
    lol i understand this is the TFC supporters club forum but okay ryan plays for tfc academy he is committed to them but at the same time he was asked by Trinidad to come out. Trinidad's soccer program isn't as good as Canada but they do have more success than Canada. Also, you're grown up in Canada but doesn't mean you drink maple syrup and eat timmies all the time. He was grown up listening to soca, eating trini food, etc. Playing for Trinidad is a big honour and it is his decision to which country he would play for. And another thing all you people bashing on him saying how Canada probably never asked him. Canada went to the academy picked the tallest kids and left. Ryan isn't a big as many of the players as stated by the academy coach. But when Canada heard of his performances with Trinidad they hoped on the wagon and called him straight away. Why the hell would you play for a country who didn't look at you the first time?!

-just my 2 cents
    So I'm assuming you are a big fan of Hargreaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in fact i am. it's soccer we're talking about here...it's about passion i don't know why everyone can't respect players' decisions especially when most people here are not as successful as them. it's their decision...everyone knows canada's style of soccer is soft.

Heathen

How anyone can criticize TFC in anyway for this kid being picked for T&T U-17s is beyond me, what are they supposed to do dump him because he doesn't want to play for Canada?
    Having said that the ongoing lack of loyalty to Canada of second and third generation immigrants is sad, whether Ryan McLeod is an example of that I've got no idea just saying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I'm ot too sure the complaint is dircted at TFC more just frustration at how Mcloed doesn't play for Canada