Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Portland bid could get blocked by legal action from Multnomah County!

My goodness, now Multnomah County is trying to block the Portland MLS bid with legal action!

Only the County can release the bonds and they intervened against the bid at the hearing.

No bonds, no money, no stadium, no team.

And Paul Allen who owns the Trailblazers doesn't want his Rose Garden parkade torn down to make way for the new Beavers stadium.

Don Garber must have a splitting headache today.

Vancouver has none of these issues, just bright sunshine, clear blue skies, snow on the mountains and the world's most beautiful women.

What a mess in Portland:

http://www.soccertimes.com/mls/2009/mar12
    Last edited by Vancouver MLS; 03-12-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this fucking sucks
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome! Come on Multnomah!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man this sucks. I think Portland has a lot of potential as an MLS town. If this deal goes through, are we just left with Ottawa and Vancouver as the last serious contenders?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Man this sucks. I think Portland has a lot of potential as an MLS town. If this deal goes through, are we just left with Ottawa and Vancouver as the last serious contenders?
    Essentially, assuming all goes well between Melnyk and city council. Watch Garber change the rules and only give Vancouver an expansion spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ What makes you say that?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    ^ What makes you say that?
    I just think it's a joke the way he's handling it. Telling Melnyk BS, saying publicly he wants Potland to get a team. It just really seems like he's been playing Melnyk the whole time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like the NHL expansion...the only reason Ottawa and Tampa got the expansion teams at the time, was because they were the only two willing to put up the money. My gut tells me, whoever is willing to put up the money, no questions asked, will get a franchise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    Just like the NHL expansion...the only reason Ottawa and Tampa got the expansion teams at the time, was because they were the only two willing to put up the money.
    Uhhh...Hamilton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then if Ottawa Council votes April 22, why doesn't MLS just delay the announcement for another month?

keep Ottawa in the game

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do those who criticize the Ottawa bid and their potential support live in Ottawa, or ever lived in Ottawa? or are they just pulling their thoughts out of their ass on the viability of an Ottawa team, based on what they think they know about Ottawa?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say if Garber gives extra time to Paulson to help Portland, he should give extra time to Melnyk also.

What's wrong with being fair? Melnyk has done nothing wrong. He hasn't withdrawn. He hasn't gone public saying he would undercut the fee.

Give Ottawa the opportunity to knock off Portland.

Read the article; it's factual. The Portland situation is problematic; the City can withdraw at any time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver MLS View Post
    then if Ottawa Council votes April 22, why doesn't MLS just delay the announcement for another month?

keep Ottawa in the game
    I hope that happens!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    Essentially, assuming all goes well between Melnyk and city council. Watch Garber change the rules and only give Vancouver an expansion spot.
    I'm almost certain that this is what is going to end up happening. I don't think Ottawa was ever a serious consideration for MLS. They were just in the running all along to be used as leverage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think it's a joke the way he's handling it. Telling Melnyk BS, saying publicly he wants Potland to get a team. It just really seems like he's been playing Melnyk the whole time.
    I don't think thats true. Garber has been quoted ad nuseum about how well the Ottawa bid was presented. The bidder who can come up with the cash and superior business plan wins the bid. It doesn't matter if its Ottawa, Portland, or

Quote Originally Posted by egoodwin View Post
    Do those who criticize the Ottawa bid and their potential support live in Ottawa, or ever lived in Ottawa? or are they just pulling their thoughts out of their ass on the viability of an Ottawa team, based on what they think they know about Ottawa?
    And with that said said, I'm assuming you don't have an opinion on any other cities involved because you haven't lived there either?

I somehow doubt that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As opposed to the large section of RPB's who've lived in Portland, St Louis, Vancouver, Miami, Montreal etc etc? The fact that we HAVEN'T lived there means we are able to view the strengths and weaknesses of the market as relative to every other one, with fewer biases. Ottawa doesn't have a stadium, a history of soccer, a history of supporting sports that aren't hockey. Vancouver has a city, a history of supporting soccer, and outside the Grizzlies a history of supporting teams. Being from Toronto doesn't make me say this: having 2 eyes and some common sense does. I'd much rather see MLS strengthen the league by not saying "Well, we had 2 spots open, better fill it". Thats how the NHL happened. Probably better to not copy that one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why, yes actually. And I still stand by my opinion that Ottawa wouldn't work. Terrible news for Portland fans though, that must be gut-wrenching for those guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portland doesn't have a deal. What their City Council approved was a "Business Plan" NOT a Deal for Financing.

Now is Ottawa's opportunity to pass something that's viable.

Melnyk flew Garber all over Ottawa in helicopters. That is impressive.

Garber said he was "blown away" with Ottawa's presentation

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you honestly believe they will award this to two Canadian cities? its not going to happen. if they don't have a viable American option, they will only announce one expansion team i think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    do you honestly believe they will award this to two Canadian cities? its not going to happen. if they don't have a viable American option, they will only announce one expansion team i think.
    yep i agree with you, two canadian cities (including ottawa) would piss too many people off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flipityflu View Post
    Yeah, because people hate getting $40 million dollars. I agree, if anyone offered me that sort of cash, I'd give it back and say its not worth the hassle of carrying around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as St. Louis's bid is around the bare minimum, and it looks like it has better chance now with AB, I think MLS would put a team here rather then in two Canadian cities

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    yep i agree with you, two canadian cities (including ottawa) would piss too many people off
    Who would it piss off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who would it piss off?
    Xenophobic cunts like that Columbus Arch guy or whatever. There are lots of Americans who feel we're intruding on their league. Even just having TFC in the league makes their teeth grind for some of them. You'd be pretty surprised actually.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    Xenophobic cunts like that Columbus Arch guy or whatever. There are lots of Americans who feel we're intruding on their league. Even just having TFC in the league makes their teeth grind for some of them. You'd be pretty surprised actually.
    I think I'd be more surprised about Garber turning down an expansion team with 40 mil simply because of some xenophobic cunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Vancouver has none of these issues, just bright sunshine, clear blue skies, snow on the mountains and the world's most beautiful women"?????

Surely you jest....You've obviously never been to Scandanavia or the Czech Republic...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'd be more surprised about Garber turning down an expansion team with 40 mil simply because of some xenophobic cunts.
    Lol, for sure. But there might be some political or organizational pressure on Garber not to pick two Canadian bids (putting the general fans aside for a moment). I'm not saying there's a conspiracy or anything, but it's not unreasonable to think it might be present, even if nobody says specifically: "Don't pick two Canadian cities".

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What rules state that there have to be 2 expansion teams. I'd rather they take 0 expansion teams than give one to a city they don't feel is worthy...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    I think the USSF have greater pull... and as I understand it (and I may be wrong), but they view the MLS as their domestic league and way to improve talent for the US National team.