Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take it one step further. I would say that Serioux is an outright liability based on what I saw on Saturday. I hope that he can develop a little more discipline by the start of the season.

Thanks for the article, John.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I wish they would have the spot filled already, but it wouldn't kill us (imho) if we wait to fill that spot until the euro season ends in May.

What killed us last year was having 4 different important players (Guevara, Robert, Ricketts, Tebily) come in after the season started. That's too much midseason activity/destabilization.

But one guy? That's MLS life, I think.
    You're right, adding a player after the Euro season ends won't be a problem.

And those guys coming after the season started last year didn't kill us - two of them leaving before the season ended killed us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Serioux get to play Wednesday? Not sure if suspensions count in pre-season. It's not like it was a straight red..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, I for the most part agree w/ you,

but theres one piece in your article that got under my skin:

Velez, Harmse and [bold]Gyan[/bold] are not starters, they're late-game substitutes (at best); players that can come on in the final minutes of the game, or be used in an emergency when the regular starters are injured, suspended or away on international duty.
    Nana is starter-worthy....

...Just not CB...

Nana is our Wynne replacement, and he was the best player on the pitch when we had him in that position (okay maybe not "the best", but high up there...he amazed)

I am really not sure where this myth of Nana being a CB originated from,

but it's really ticking me off that people are still on about it:

NANA is our Wynne replacement,
    He's being groomed for when we sell Wynne,

So can we please stop assuming he's in line for the CB spot already?

Completely different positions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    Does Serioux get to play Wednesday? Not sure if suspensions count in pre-season. It's not like it was a straight red..
    According to Paul, Adrian can play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny that Molinaro should mention Jimmy Conrad, because I've been hearing rumblings that Mo is working to bring him here from KC in a trade. Maybe John's hearing the same rumours as me.

The price might be a little too steep...but Conrad would be marvellous and would certainly help us win.

[/notsosubtlehint]

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy crap...that would be a major coup.

Conrad is a solid back. A consistent all-star. And very fan friendly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow!!! Conrad is one MLS defender who I think has stood the test of time. I don't know how Mo can do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even at the not-so-subtley-hinted-at price?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will probably take Jo.Smith, Frei/Edwards, and something else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KC isnt just going to let the face of team walk out of town for nothing...i bet they are asking ALOT, like Guvera (an attacking option of feed the ball to lopez, so he isnt a total waste of a million bucks)

And that would leave NO experience on the back line, eveyone has less then 2 years in the MLS on D in KC, Chance Myers ancoring the D?

Sounds nice, but i just dont see KC wanting to make that deal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys might wanna re-read the last bit of my post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only place wynne is going is over seas in order to install a grass pitch, end of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would be quite the trade, I doubt it, who'd play right back?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: Jimmy Conrad, ill believe it when i see it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So will I. Like I said, my source only says Mo's trying to get it done. Not that it is done or that it's close to being done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KC will never trade Conrad.

He's Brennan x5 for them.

He's totally critical to them on the field, and the face of the team to the community, and the season ticket holders.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    yeah. it was a temporary solution to serioux being sent off

temporary!
    Face it, Carver put Robinson back there at CB

(i) with other CBs on the bench, and
    (ii) in a game with unlimited substitutions

I get not liking it, but this is no mass hallucination we're having, Robinson is going to get minutes at CB.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Face it, Carver put Robinson back there at CB

(i) with other CBs on the bench, and
    (ii) in a game with unlimited substitutions

I get not liking it, but this is no mass hallucination we're having, Robinson is going to get minutes at CB.
    note that Carver used only one sub, treating the game like it's a real regular season game than a friendly

who would you sub off to put in a defender if you're carver, when robbo could be used as a temp CB, and save that sub for possible late game situation?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    re: Jimmy Conrad, ill believe it when i see it
    me too.

but Conrad is 32 and has few years left. KC just might be willing to trade if they want to rebuild and buy some young guys with Conrad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KC will never trade Conrad.

He's Brennan x5 for them.

He's totally critical to them on the field, and the face of the team to the community, and the season ticket holders.

really? not even for a better chance to "wyn"

I'm sorry James, I can't beleive they haven't clicked in yet

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had the same issue up front last year that we have at the back this year. A glaring hole that doesn't seem to want to be plugged.

I don't think Mo is sitting back and thinking that Serioux is the answer to the equation, I'm sure Mo knows that he needs more strength in the middle of the club's defense - but once again this seems like a "fallen through deal". Not being in the US, plus the turf and climate give Mo a unique difficulty to sign players.

Mo also seems to get his heart set on players, if we sign them, it's great, but if the deal falls through (which I bet a couple have at CB), then we are left with holes in the boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poppamidnight View Post
    John, I for the most part agree w/ you,

but theres one piece in your article that got under my skin:

Nana is starter-worthy....

...Just not CB...

Nana is our Wynne replacement, and he was the best player on the pitch when we had him in that position (okay maybe not "the best", but high up there...he amazed)

I am really not sure where this myth of Nana being a CB originated from,

but it's really ticking me off that people are still on about it:

NANA is our Wynne replacement,
    He's being groomed for when we sell Wynne,

So can we please stop assuming he's in line for the CB spot already?

Completely different positions
    John Carver said in the off-season he sees Nana as a possible CB. that's where all of this started.
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    John Carver said in the off-season he sees Nana as a possible CB. that's where all of this started.
    John
    this is exactly what i was thinking.. he has the size, the strength and the brains for the position.

but for some reason people keep going around saying Nana is not a CB and is being groomed to be a RB. No he isn't. He's a young kid and he can go in either position.. just as Harmse can move from midfield to defense or Serioux can be a defensive midfielder and then is moved to play RB and CB.
    Nana should not be put into a mould at such a young age. He has the talent to be either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it is the proposed deal mentioned in this thread. I would actually do the deal. Here is why, you guys can let me know what you think.

Pros:
    1. With the aging core of players (Guevara, Robbo, Dichio, DeRo)....you will need to win soon. Conrad had a few years left.
    2. You get a team leader, a CB who knows the league and its players.
    3. Don't think he'll miss about 1/3 of the season due to international duties
    4. You will have Conrad here next year and the year after, you may not have Wynne here next year.

Cons:
    1. The speed
    2. The creativity lost from the back, with the overlapping runs
    3. The money you get when sold to a European club

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That deal should make no sense to KC.

KC should not trade the face of their team for 3-6 months of Marvell, plus a whack of cash (Mo of course would try to keep some or most of any transfer, this is how Freddy Adu's deal from DC to RSL worked)....

unless KC are in very dire straits financially. That could be.

This does makes sense from our point of view, as we just watched Anselmi/Peddie swallow most of the Edu transfer (remember how Mo asked for grass with the Edu proceeds, and got publicly shot down by Anselmi?). Mo probably would like to figure out how to get a playing asset this time.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-10-2009 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This does makes sense from our point of view, as we just watched Anselmi/Peddie swallow most of the Edu transfer (remember how Mo asked for grass with the Edu proceeds, and got publicly shot down by Anselmi?). Mo probably would like to figure out how to get a playing asset this time.

please expand, im not entirely sure i understand as the transfer money is to be used within the MLS (ie within other transfers, allocations, academy etc) and cant be used by MLSE (also as mentioned many times previously the grass issue is primarily a prob with the government as opposed to MLSE)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    please expand, im not entirely sure i understand as the transfer money is to be used within the MLS (ie within other transfers, allocations, academy etc) and cant be used by MLSE (also as mentioned many times previously the grass issue is primarily a prob with the government as opposed to MLSE)
    There are others who can do this more precisely....

MLSE received $3.3 million for Edu. Two-thirds were supposed to be used for "player development" or some such. So where did our $2.2 million go? Mo wanted to use it towards grass.

I know some small portion of that (maybe $500K? I'm guessing) is in this year's allocation, but where did the rest of it the $2.2 million go?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are others who can do this more precisely....

MLSE received $3.3 million for Edu. Two-thirds were supposed to be used for "player development" or some such. So where did our $2.2 million go? Mo wanted to use it towards grass.

I know some small portion of that (maybe $500K? I'm guessing) is in this year's allocation, but where did the rest of it the $2.2 million go?
    Probably earmarked for training facilties and related capital costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    note that Carver used only one sub, treating the game like it's a real regular season game than a friendly

who would you sub off to put in a defender if you're carver, when robbo could be used as a temp CB, and save that sub for possible late game situation?
    Robbo is their principal distributor from the final third/middle third of the pitch. So put down to 10 men, it makes more tactical sense to move him back than to bring on another defender, if you're trying to hold up your offensive shape.

Carver probably just saw more in going for the win than in bunkering down by withdrawing an offensive player to add a defender, that's all. Given Charleston's inability to compete 11-on-10, it would appear to have been the right one.

So I don't expect to see Carl Robinson as a starting centre half any time soon.

AS for the main contention, it's way too early to make those kind of judgments. We've seen Harmse and Serioux as centre halfs for about five minutes, comparatively speaking, and you need three or four games before you can see if a pairing is gelling. Serioux certianly can't be judged, given that he's been out for most of the last year and had arrived to train with the team 48 hours before.

So the jury's out. Certainly couldn't hurt to add an experienced centre back (is CJ Brown sitting on the bench in Chicago?), but it's not necessarily anythign to worry about yet.