Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beckham an MLS team owner?

I hate to post a beckham related link but is this option he holds real or bullshit or what.

Beckham planning to buy MLS team

By James Munro and Simon Austin

David Beckham plans to exercise a clause in his contract allowing him to buy a Major League Soccer franchise at the end of his playing career

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/7933407.stm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure that it's a real option. Whether he exercises that option when he's finished playing remains to be seen. Who knows what the franchise fee will be at that point in time, $60m, $100m?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get him to outright buy the Crew, another reason to hate them

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DRock View Post
    Get him to outright buy the Crew, another reason to hate them
    If he buys the Crew I doubt he would keep them in CBus. He probably would move them to Miami, Las Vegas, NY, or even LA if Chivas can get their own stadium.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahaha He won't buy a team .. that would be not a good decision if he wants to make money .. Loss money maybe but make not a chance .. Unless he bought TFC

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee dubya View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it's a real option. Whether he exercises that option when he's finished playing remains to be seen. Who knows what the franchise fee will be at that point in time, $60m, $100m?

7 to many 0's in your estimation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know the comments about this article are so narrow minded, do you really care if Beckham buys an MLS franchise? I don't think anyone would be too upset if it happened to be a Canadian team, far-fetched I know, but the point is, if he bought a franchise what does it matter. Take the blinkers off for a moment. Melnyk wants to bring a franchise in to Ottawa, Melnyk as far as I am concerned is an asshole, but he has the money to do it, good for him.

I think all the anti-Beckham sentiment is just a bit of envy. Get back to disliking the real asshole in the MLS, Landycakes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a great interview conducted between ESPN and Beckham. The anchor asked some tough questions of Beckham. I'm really impressed. He speaks of his desire to exercise an option he has to own a team, once his playing days with the MLS are complete.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/index?cc=5901
    Last edited by TFC_123; 03-11-2009 at 11:47 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he doesn't have enough respect for the league to play in it, why would he go through the time, effort, and expense of buying a club in it?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee dubya View Post
    No chance. Even the $40M is way too high IMO

A group trying to Buy Derby County is looking at paying less than $80M and that includes the stadium which is probably worth $40-$50 million