It could have been worse:

Sporting Club Philadelphia
    Racing Club Philadelphia
    Philly DeDe
    Phiddle Sticks
    Philler Up
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    The Philadelphia Story

Stop it! All you're doing is giving them ideas.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Stop it! All you're doing is giving them ideas.
    As a Chris Creamer member you know you love this stuff as much as I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought Chester City FC would have been good

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keystone FC View Post
    As a Chris Creamer member you know you love this stuff as much as I do.
    Ah man, I haven't been to his site in years now. Feel bad about it, I was gonna drop some major money down as a donation but got caught up moving and just never made it back to the forums.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1984 View Post
    i thought Chester City FC would have been good

already taken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Ok. Is AC Philly a perfect name? Obviously not. Something a bit more original would have been nice. That said, didnt we establish a little while ago that the FC of Toronto FC only IMPLIES Football Club, due to potential copywrite infringement with the Argos? The point is, its a name that automatically brings some semblance of legitimacy to the team and has a decent ring to it. Its an homage to the Italian roots of Philly. Is it perfect? No. But its a hell of a lot better than a lot of MLS team name. Besides, as we all know full well, no-one will EVER actually call the team AC Philadelphia. It'll be shortened to something more organic. So don't worry. No-one will start confusing AC with that other AC. Besides, for all we know it stands for American Cunts Philadelphia. Or Almost Cultured Philly. Almost Cool Philly. Or even Absolutely Communist Philadelphia. So take it easy. My money says this team is known as ACP. Has a nice ring to it no?

Incidentally, if the MLS can get its head out of its ass, some sort of Thursday Philly, Sunday New York roadtrip would SURELY be popular with us. (seeing as 3 days rest isn't exactly uncommon)
    i dont know if thats true, i think it was more just the fact that Toronto didnt want people to get confused between 2 different sports being called Football. FC just sort of made it easier.

But i do agree the AC Philly is still ten times better then names like wizards or Earthquakes...but im sure there is a way they can get a name that is spelled the English way. I mean there is like a million teams in the world with Football Club or Athletic Football Club and they all got trade marks to, so im sure there is a way they could sort it out.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I don't think it is true. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I'm pretty sure the Argonauts official name is the Toronto Argonauts Rugby Football Club.

Let's face it. Philadelphia is a city with an INSANE amount of history and culture behind it. Why they choose AC Philadelphia as a name instead of something that can pay homage to the city's heritage is beyond me.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Let's face it. Philadelphia is a city with an INSANE amount of history and culture behind it. Why they choose AC Philadelphia as a name instead of something that can pay homage to the city's heritage is beyond me.
    Agreed, Philly has a huge amount history but that would be the easy route and the best name fora Philly team has been taken (76ers).
    Plus, there was already people on the net exhaulting the 'Athletic' name so for MLSPhilly to go a different route would go against an already supportive fanbase.
    IF AC Philadelphia is chosen then they have, in some way, listened to it's fanbase and in the same breath left an opening for the fans to help create an identity for the club.
    There are alot of people who hate this 'FC', 'AC', 'SC' in front or after the city name. They want names like...Crew, Burn, Hawks to make it an 'American' league but what I don't think they understand it that with 'plain' names like Toronto FC it leaves alot of room for people to follow the club who would not if the team were named Inter. This also gives the fans an opprotunity to express themselves in different ways without going against a specific mascot.