Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well not so fast... Lenarduzzi said on 1040 there are still outstanding issues regarding the Academy.

I hope that is not the sticking point that will keep Vancouver out. But it could.

One has to realize...

the MLS has to approve Vancouver...

but Vancouver also has to approve MLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver MLS View Post
    well not so fast... Lenarduzzi said on 1040 there are still outstanding issues regarding the Academy.

I hope that is not the sticking point that will keep Vancouver out. But it could.

One has to realize...

the MLS has to approve Vancouver...

but Vancouver also has to approve MLS
    Oh please please please don't let Lenarduzzi pull a Saputo. MLS doesn't deal well with big egos (thinking they are better than the league). I agree that the academy rules in MLS are ridiculous, but MLS is still the top league in North America, and will remain so. Bob will have to bend now, and hope to enact change from within.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately it looks like this Academy issue could be a deal breaker.

However, Greg Kerfoot is still the owner, it's his $ 50 million and he has the upper hand.

Lenarduzzi's opinions stop at Kerfoot's front door.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    If they bring in both Portland and Vancouver they must be eliminating the two conferences because otherwise Houston will have to be in the east and they can hardly be considered an Eastern Team.

East
    Toronto
    Chicago
    New York
    New England
    Philadelphia
    Columbus
    Kansas City
    DC United
    Houston

West
    Seattle
    Vancouver
    Portland
    San Jose
    LA
    Chivas
    Dallas
    Salt Lake
    Colorado

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer#Teams
    Dude, are you serious? That's almost as bad as suggesting a particular city will or won't get a team based on its geographic position. Listen, the conference divisions aren't written in stone, its pretty much one of the most flexible aspects of the league's operating structure. It doesn't actually take much work to move a team or two around.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christ, why not just go one table and screw teh conference bit.
    Give the Shield to top points (also make a bigger deal out of it) and do a play off format for the top 8 teams with the most points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Give it time, I think that's exactly what will happen.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

because i was raised on hockey, the Supporters Shield is completely irrelevent in my eyes. it's like the president's trophy in hockey. I don't get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    because i was raised on hockey, the Supporters Shield is completely irrelevent in my eyes. it's like the president's trophy in hockey. I don't get it.
    Here is what i dont get, the Stanley Cup (even moreso the MLS cup). If you come out with the best winning percentage after an 82 game season (32 for mls) it means nothing, but if you win 16 games out of a possible 28, (3 of 4 for MLS) you are crowned a champion....

North American fans are fickle, and teams would fold if you didnt offer them some shot at the championship long after they proved that they were not the best. So teams that struggle to maintain a spot in the middle of the standings can still hold onto the dream that they will win a championship...and thus fill the stadium and earn revenue

So really the $$$ win, and until passion is greater then $$$. sports teams in america will continue to have fruitless playoffs to crown champions

I would be just as happy to take the supports shield, as i would to win Tiffany`s Cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I sorta know what you mean. Personally, I'd like to see more emphasis on the Supporters Shield, but it doesn't really fit in well with the current league structure we have now. The MLS Cup is a good competition as is, but I do like the idea of maybe playing it in a format similar to the FA Cup.

Bah! In the end, it's really not that much of a problem. I kinda like the way the playoffs are organised and whatnot.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    Agreed completely.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both mean something to me and either one in our cabinet would make me happy.

As for the Academy issue and Vancouver, can someone summarize it for me? What's the problem?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Both mean something to me and either one in our cabinet would make me happy.

As for the Academy issue and Vancouver, can someone summarize it for me? What's the problem?
    I haven't read anything offhand, but I do know that Vancouver has one of the best academies in North America. Perhaps the issue lies with MLS' restrictions on academy signings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    Here is what i dont get, the Stanley Cup (even moreso the MLS cup). If you come out with the best winning percentage after an 82 game season (32 for mls) it means nothing, but if you win 16 games out of a possible 28, (3 of 4 for MLS) you are crowned a champion....
    No, it's not 16 out of a possble 28 -- it's an elimination tournament.

I think most North American fans would have a very tough time with a trophy presentation to a team if they just lost or tied the game.

With so many pro sports competing for attention in North America, I think it's okay that there is a core of fans who follow the entire season and a larger number of fans who get interested for the playoffs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    I haven't read anything offhand, but I do know that Vancouver has one of the best academies in North America. Perhaps the issue lies with MLS' restrictions on academy signings.
    That's what it sounds like. I don't see it being that big of a deal though, its a fairly minor roster stipulation that the league could easily amend.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    Do you know that the L'impact are a Non-profit organization? Saputo doesn't own them.

I want to know how a L'impact franchise would work in MLS. I don't think it would because who would invest $40 million in a franchise that you are not allowed to ever pull profits out of? It makes no sense.

Can someone buy a NPO??!?!?! Is that even possible?!?

Non profit sports franchise...nothing shiffty there is there?? Revenue canada should have a look in on that...but the Impact are no longer
    a MLS concern...releocation will no happen, at least in Montreal's favor.
    let them stay in the USL..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team 1040 reporting decision Thursday:

http://www.team1040.ca/news/story/?id=1821

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting quote on the expansion fee by Garber... Many people have told him to lower the fee, but this makes sense from the eyes of a businessman, beyond just getting more $$$:

"We've got to be careful that we maintain the asset value of our teams, because those values have an impact on the team's ability to finance itself," Garber said. "If we can't get the right price for an investment in the league at this time, then the league would make a decision to postpone the expansion until the economy changes or improves."