Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    I hate the Whitecraps... but i want them in the league so we have more canadian rivalries within MLS. I want to kick their asses 2 times in MLS every year, plus 2 times in the Voyageurs Cup

I get more up for these games against Canadian teams than for games against KC or other boring American sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    I can't seem to hate on the whitecap as much... let's just hope they are not the vancouver grizzlies.
    Visit the Southsiders board and see what they say about Toronto. You'll be hating them soon enough.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    If both Vancouver and Portland are granted admission, the northwest rivalry between those two and Seattle will be INTENSE. MLS will be the only professional league that houses all three cities and hopefully that translates well in terms of fan support.
    Already in place:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_Cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nascarguy View Post
    see look "
    MLS is waiting for Portland to give final approval on its stadium plan to make the announcement. That's expected to come March 11. If Portland approves the stadium, the expansion announcement will likely take place March 17 or 18."

what if the deal falls apart and they don't get final approval
    see what did I say mls is going to wait for ottawa

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they bring in both Portland and Vancouver they must be eliminating the two conferences because otherwise Houston will have to be in the east and they can hardly be considered an Eastern Team.

East
    Toronto
    Chicago
    New York
    New England
    Philadelphia
    Columbus
    Kansas City
    DC United
    Houston

West
    Seattle
    Vancouver
    Portland
    San Jose
    LA
    Chivas
    Dallas
    Salt Lake
    Colorado

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer#Teams

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since they probably won't go single table (my preferred solution)....three six team divisions?

East:
    New York
    New England
    Philadelphia
    DCU
    Toronto
    Columbus (which eventually relocates to Montreal!!...;-)

Central:
    Chicago
    Kansas City
    Houston
    Dallas
    Colorado
    Salt Lake

West:
    Seattle
    Vancouver
    Portland
    San Jose
    LA
    Chivas
    Last edited by ensco; 03-08-2009 at 02:36 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by awesometown View Post
    You're so fucking ignorant its unbelievable, you should look at some tapes of Lynx games. You honestly think it will be the same atmosphere when the Caps get into MLS?
    Comming from a guy who probably has never set foot in Vancouver. Listen, IM TELLING YOU (specifically) that the "fans" for the whitecraps are on nowhere near the same level as TFC. Say what you want about the league they are in and yadda yadda, but the FACT IS the whitecraps have been around forever, they are well known in the city, and yet people there are more passionate about the BC Lions. Could MLS boost the attendence, sure, but I think having a bigger stadium would be the real cause of an attendance spike.

I've said it before and now I have to say it again. I had a long time whitecrap fan approach me after the game and thank us for trying to raise the atmosphere by putting the whitecrap crowd to shame in chants. He said it helped raise a feeling of rivalry and helped him specifically to draw more interest in the game. He said he thought he was just spending another saturday comming to watch another 'Craps game but ended up being more involved in the game (personally I dont see how, unless me made some comment or something that no one heard and it was out of his comfort zone)

I never said Vancouver was a bad idea, I think its a fine idea, however, TFC cans CANNOT expect the whitecrap fans to share the same enthisuams or support the 'Craps the same way TFC fans support TFC.

Please, before anyone else tries to compare Lynx to the 'Craps, you MUST remember that the Vancouver whitecraps are the ONLY "pro-ish" team in Vancouver. It's not like the league in Ontario where there was the Lynx, Toronto Supra, ect, ect. Theres no N Van, Burnaby, Surrey teams for fan support to split.

Anyways, enough 'Crap talk. TFC!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm from Vancouver, I'm telling you, just look at the NASL attendance figures, look at the fact Swanguard sells out most of the time, the 48 000 for a FRIENDLY against LA last year. Whitecaps still outdrew the Lynx and the CSL Combined. Whitecaps in the MLS will be a huge success.

Yes the atmosphere at Swanguard sucks my ass but you will see a dramatic change as soon as we're in the MLS and in BC Place and hopefully by 2014-2015 the waterfront stadium.

And for dannyd, were you living in a fucking cave while you lived here??? No interest in soccer? There's too many leagues to fucking count. Have you ever been downtown during a world cup here? And for the asians having no interest in soccer here, that is pure bullshit. The koreans were out in full force on Robson St in 2002, there's an all asian league for fucks sakes and Whitecap Takashi Hirano has his own Japanese cheering section at swanguard.

See ya this summer ghostpk

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by awesometown View Post
    I'm from Vancouver, I'm telling you, just look at the NASL attendance figures, look at the fact Swanguard sells out most of the time, the 48 000 for a FRIENDLY against LA last year. Whitecaps still outdrew the Lynx and the CSL Combined. Whitecaps in the MLS will be a huge success.

Yes the atmosphere at Swanguard sucks my ass but you will see a dramatic change as soon as we're in the MLS and in BC Place and hopefully by 2014-2015 the waterfront stadium.

And for dannyd, were you living in a fucking cave while you lived here??? No interest in soccer? There's too many leagues to fucking count. Have you ever been downtown during a world cup here? And for the asians having no interest in soccer here, that is pure bullshit. The koreans were out in full force on Robson St in 2002, there's an all asian league for fucks sakes and Whitecap Takashi Hirano has his own Japanese cheering section at swanguard.

See ya this summer ghostpk
    Theres a difference between driving down Robson street waving a Korean flag cuz ur country's hosting the WORLD CUP and actually giving a shit about soccer. The only large ethnic community there that knows it's soccer is Italians and Iranians.
    When does Swanguard ever Sell-out??!! They couldn't even sell out against TFC. And please don't tell me half-filling BC place to see Beckham counts as soccer fans.

Look at New York during NASL days and you think that counts as to how they are now in MLS? you can't compare.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if this is the case with Vancouver and Portland, I believe it will be done to leave the door open to Montreal and Miami to be 19 and 20

Though I really doubt they'll have one conference with 2 more teams than another for a few years

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's the thing about Vancouver, Portland or Ottawa. Because they're all "small", the risk of failure is higher.

Let's say TFC has 100,00 serious fans (this number is a wild-ass guess on my part), of whom 30,000 are season ticket holders, or are on the waiting list.

If those three cities have exactly the same level of success per capita as TFC does, they'll draw not much more than 10,000.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Theres a difference between driving down Robson street waving a Korean flag cuz ur country's hosting the WORLD CUP and actually giving a shit about soccer. The only large ethnic community there that knows it's soccer is Italians and Iranians.
    When does Swanguard ever Sell-out??!! They couldn't even sell out against TFC. And please don't tell me half-filling BC place to see Beckham counts as soccer fans.

Look at New York during NASL days and you think that counts as to how they are now in MLS? you can't compare.
    I have some news for you... Asians love footy... look at the attendance during the world cup in japan and Korea... World Club Cup... and last I checked vancouver has a pretty big asain population. I can't speak for Iranians but as for the Italians, we may love our calcio, but we aren't the only ethic population that does. Its pretty narrow minded to make a comment like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, I don't know what to expect vis a vis Vancouver's attendance numbers in MLS. On the one hand, football is popular in the northwest. Seattle, Portland and Vancouver are clearly footy markets, so the latter city has that much going it. On the other hand, Vancouver isn't nearly as large as T.O., so the fanbase isn't as big. Vancouver is much larger than Ottawa, though, so Greg Kerfoot might do very well if he finds his MLS niche.

At this point in time, however, I think it's a little premature to guess how successful a Whitecaps MLS team will be at the gate. Until we see some hard numbers - season ticket deposits, the growth in Southsiders' membership - we don't have much to go by with respect to the Whitecaps' popularity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ticket sales have nothing to do with population. It's all about management and public interest.

Look at New York Red Bulls, look at Hoffenheim in Germany.

CONGRATULATIONS VANCOUVER!!

By the way, I think Vancouver has the best kits in North America.

So it is down to Portland and Ottawa!

As I said before it is all about management. Melnyk will not have a failing franchise he is too passionate an owner. Look at the Senators as evidence of that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver's academy is arguably one of the best in North America. Look at the number of players on the under 20 roster. when MLS changes their policy towards academy players (hopefully after this season) this might help ease the pressure on the required canadian rule. Also, as we saw this off season I think you'll start to see more and more canadians in mediocre european leagues coming to play in the mls, especially after the salary cap gets bumped up.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    I have some news for you... Asians love footy... look at the attendance during the world cup in japan and Korea... World Club Cup... and last I checked vancouver has a pretty big asain population. I can't speak for Iranians but as for the Italians, we may love our calcio, but we aren't the only ethic population that does. Its pretty narrow minded to make a comment like that.
    With all due respect I'm not being narrow minded, I'm just trying to educate people here about what to expect from Vancouver. It should work and hopefully they will have a succesful team. I'm just saying don't expect it to be like TFC or Seattle.
    By the way I hold a black belt in Karate and speak Japanese, so I am well aware of Asian culture and understand it's popularity in some asian countries, but this demographic will not support the whitecaps, they will only support their country's teams or if there's a countryman on the whitecaps they will support that player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vancouver in for 2011!!

I thought a new thread should be made considering the old one also included Portland who are far from in.

Links:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...Story/National

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showt...0#post17138510

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...expansion.html

The bid that was never news has jumped to the front. We heard about big names like Miami, New York, Montreal as well as St. Louis hosting the draft and then there was Portland but Vancouver has fulfilled everything since day one

Congrats to their fans! We all know what a thrill it is to have an MLS franchise I was so excited and it will be a painful next couple years wait haha but at least they have a team to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver will have a really intense rivalry up there.

All seem like solid markets.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    With all due respect I'm not being narrow minded, I'm just trying to educate people here about what to expect from Vancouver. It should work and hopefully they will have a succesful team. I'm just saying don't expect it to be like TFC or Seattle.
    By the way I hold a black belt in Karate and speak Japanese, so I am well aware of Asian culture and understand it's popularity in some asian countries, but this demographic will not support the whitecaps, they will only support their country's teams or if there's a countryman on the whitecaps they will support that player.
    That's what they said about Toronto, when they were awarded a team.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good, now let's hate them. There's only 1 Canadian team that matters. I hope the league will re-think its rules for Canadian teams having to have domestic players.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can't have 3 threads about MLS in '11,I will merge this thread other two,sorry.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Merged
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My buddies in Van-city say the problem with the Whitecaps is that it's too far from downtown...it's a big pain in the ass to get to a game.

Vancouver loves football...but they aren't tapping into the young urbanite (like TFC did)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hopefully this is true, but I shall wait to celebrate until I see the press conference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    Good, now let's hate them. There's only 1 Canadian team that matters. I hope the league will re-think its rules for Canadian teams having to have domestic players.
    I don't. I hope the league will re-think how it deals with academies. We should be allowed to sign as many home-grown prospects as we want!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by egoodwin View Post
    if this is the case with Vancouver and Portland, I believe it will be done to leave the door open to Montreal and Miami to be 19 and 20

Though I really doubt they'll have one conference with 2 more teams than another for a few years
    montreal is never getting a mls team if the limpact
    are a part of the bid and 40m is just a start i think the price will go up higher after the 2 new teams are named

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Living in Vancouver now I have met a lot of people who are psyched for an MLS team that don't follow the Whitecaps in their USL form. I'm not saying it's going to be a guaranteed success, but from an outsider perspective it has alot of elements in place for success.

I really hope BC place gets renovated into a nice soccer venue, if it's not a fun place to watch soccer it might be trouble for the team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So is this official? is Vancouver in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    That's what I want to know. With all these threads merged into one, it's hard to tell what's what. I know I put up the link from the Globe and Mail saying it was a done deal, just not officially announced yet. Has it been officially, officially announced?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care how long someone has lived in Vancouver .... if you think that Vancouver isn't suited for MLS than you need to give your head a shake. We're not talking about NFL or MLB here ... Vancouver will be able to handle MLS no problem what so ever. I can almost guarantee that in their first year, they will have an average attendance ranking in top 4th of the league.

Also, why does it matter if Asians follow football or not? That's like someone saying that TFC will be a success because there are a lot of Italians in Toronto and Italians love their football. Sure, TFC is a success but not primarily because of Italians ... the team just needs to attract a lot of fans of the game from every racial background ... the ethnic makeup of a city is largely irrelevant (especially considering that we are talking about Canadian cities here, who are in general extremely diverse in absolute terms).
    Last edited by Dirk Diggler; 03-09-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post

nope.

MLS hasn't announced it so we're still at the all but official point.