Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Today’s News, Thursday , Mar.05

Mornin'

No TFC news for now,if you find some please post it here.

This one is from yesterday in case you missed it:

Serioux trains in Toronto
    Reds defender happy to return home

Defender Adrian Serioux trained at BMO Field with Toronto FC for the first time on Wednesday morning. The Scarborough native linked up with the team in Florida last week following his move from FC Dallas and has now arrived in town after spending the last few days relocating. Serioux admits a trade to Toronto has been something he has been thinking about for some time. "For me it's long overdue," he told TorontoFC.ca. "It is something I was hoping for a couple of years ago but circumstances didn't work in my favour then. It's great to be back home with family and friends and to be back in Toronto playing in front of a big crowd with a professional team."

Read More

SUNSHINE

COED
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, at least today's ssg is better than yesterday's walrus

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you believe the Puerto Rico Islanders have advanced to the CONCACAF Champions League semifinals? The second-tier club won at Marathon, 1-0, to claim the series on a 3-1 aggregate. Former D.C. United forward Nicholas Addlery scored in the closing minutes, his second goal in two matches against the Honduran side. They'll join Mexican clubs Atlante and Cruz Azul, and, um, no MLS teams in the next stage. On Thursday night, another USL representative, the Montreal Impact, will take a two-goal advantage to Santos Laguna in an effort to join the Islanders.
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soc...ickaround.html
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the TFC Account Manager is affiliated with TicketMaster this may be of some interest:
    Competition Bureau to probe Ticketmaster practices
    http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/200...mpetition.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    i lol'd at the absolute absurdity of this story

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston unveils stadium plans...check out the video

http://www.khou.com/video/index.html?nvid=328757

or

a little write up on it

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2009/03/vi...o-stadium.html

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More on the failed Miami bid:

The announcement ends months of speculation regarding the viability, or lack thereof, regarding Miami's bid, but leaves many threads unraveled. While the prospect an MLS return to Miami -- where the Fusion operated for four seasons (1998-2001) before being contracted, along with Tampa Bay -- was saluted in some circles, including by numerous media members, Garber expressed qualms about the Miami bid even before it was officially submitted.
    Garber raised concerns regarding the Miami professional sports market and a proposed facility-sharing arrangement at the Florida International University football stadium, which has artificial turf, among other issues. MLS and Barcelona formed a five-year strategic partnership last year; independently, Claure and Barcelona president Joan Laporta agreed on a joint expansion bid, one of seven original applications submitted for evaluation in the next round of expansion, set for 2011.
    It sounds like the concerns were both ways.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../04/mls.barca/

What really hit Garber, Claure and Oliver was the realization that Miami is a bizarre sports town. Many would say lousy. We only support winners, and even then we're unreliable. The University of Miami football team has struggled to fill seats, even when it was the best, most entertaining team in the nation.
    The Marlins have won two World Series titles, yet have the worst attendance in baseball, by far. The deal for a new stadium -- the panacea! -- is in limbo as it suddenly dawns on commissioners that they gave away the store to the wealthy owner of a franchise that, like U.S. soccer, inspires ambivalence.
    When they are not hot, the Heat and Panthers can only count on their core of loyalists. College basketball has never caught on.
    ''We've got world champions, but we don't hunger for sports,'' said Fort Lauderdale's Ray Hudson, transplanted Englishman and soccer authority as a commentator and former coach and player.
    The Miami FC soccer team played at Tropical Park, a decent venue. It's minor-league soccer, but pro soccer nonetheless. Yet many games only drew a few hundred fans, and the team is on the verge of folding if it can't sell 5,000 season tickets fast. The Fusion, our last MLS team, couldn't survive.
    We have handy excuses about the array of diversions, as if Chicago and Boston were lacking.
    The fact is, it's a quirky place with little sense of place. Sports fulfills a territorial urge, a need to belong to ''my team'' and declare, ''We won.'' Most people here are from someplace else. Their favorite team, the one they grew up loving, is in New York or Bogota.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/931509.html
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 03-05-2009 at 08:39 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    More on the failed Miami bid:

It sounds like the concerns were both ways.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../04/mls.barca/

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/931509.html
    That Herald story was interesting, but I disagree with the writer. You watch, there'll be letters to the editor about that one. The fiasco that is the Marlins is messing with everybody's head.

Plus, Miami is a beaten-down town these days (ground zero of the housing/mortgage debacle).

It's for the best that this died, for now.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't disagree with that story on Miami. I don't understand how its such a bad sports city. What a waste. I'd be fairly certain every pro team in the Miami area could move to the GTA and be better supported then they are now. Yes, I think a second baseball team in the GTA would do better than the Marlins (at least off the field). As much as I like the Dolphins, its tough to get behind them when they're constantly playing in 1/2 full stadiums. God knows the Panthers only sell if they're playing Toronto or Montreal. And last time I was in Miami, I was offered for free tickets to the Orange Bowl. I couldn't go and was upset that I'd be missing that kind of atmosphere, then I turned the game on, it looked like there were 15 000 people there. Embarrasing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone seen a really good comprehensive summary of what other teams have done or are doing this offseason?

seems to me the league is really picking up a lot of interesting, right-priced players from Latin America (Hirsig in KC, Pacheco in NY, Vitti to TFC)

plus there are certain teams out there (ie SJ, Houston) where, just based on the transactions that are visible, they just appear to be dumping players (SJ's entire midfield, by the looks of it) without obvious replacements
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    anyone seen a really good comprehensive summary of what other teams have done or are doing this offseason?

seems to me the league is really picking up a lot of interesting, right-priced players from Latin America (Hirsig in KC, Pacheco in NY, Vitti to TFC)

plus there are certain teams out there (ie SJ, Houston) where, just based on the transactions that are visible, they just appear to be dumping players (SJ's entire midfield, by the looks of it) without obvious replacements
    Montero in Seattle!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...LS_2009_Season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good work Ben on your article. Now we've been preaching to ignore Cathal for two years now - can we go ahead with that plan now. All we're doing is giving him credibility he doesn't deserve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a good thread on Big Soccer that started at the end of last season and goes to date. Posts include players signed, retired, traded etc. 39 pages so it is a long read. Unfortunately it doesn't have an updated comprehensive post on the front page like some of our stickied threads do so you have to go through it all.

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=827579

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cruz Azul prevails over Pumas 1-0 to claim place in Champions League semifinals
    http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4651

This ended up being a pretty good game, Pumas made some critical errors but the pace and quality of play was great. I can't wait to see Cruz Azul play Puerto Rico, PR will struggle but it will be interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Damiiano View Post
    WTF is that?! supposed to be funny or ?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on Houston.
    Downtown Stadium, By the rails, nothing fancy but lots of concessions.

^
    Reminds me of another stadium that's successful

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    Good work Ben on your article. Now we've been preaching to ignore Cathal for two years now - can we go ahead with that plan now. All we're doing is giving him credibility he doesn't deserve.
    I did not post the link to his article someone else did,and gave him a lots of "hits",not anymore.
    From now on links to his or National Post articles will not be posted in here.
    Cathal just got second card =
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Florida is void of any real sense of culture or belonging.

When i went down, I did not meet a single person who was born in Florida.

Its a temp state. Its a retirement home. Its a refugee house.

Just wait, any kids growing up there will be messed up.....because they have no sense of hmoe (not to mention the worst schooling system in north America)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the yellow plague. Pics 12-17 give me teh hawtz.

Solid article Ben. Glad you can put things in perspective for some of these guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    I did not post the link to his article someone else did,and gave him a lots of "hits",not anymore.
    That was me who posted that link. Thought I was being helpful. But I see your point!

Won't do it again.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Florida is void of any real sense of culture or belonging.

When i went down, I did not meet a single person who was born in Florida.

Its a temp state. Its a retirement home. Its a refugee house.

Just wait, any kids growing up there will be messed up.....because they have no sense of hmoe (not to mention the worst schooling system in north America)
    How do we stop the anti-Florida bigotry on this board?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Florida will have to stop sucking so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David_Oliveira View Post
    Good on Houston.
    Downtown Stadium, By the rails, nothing fancy but lots of concessions.

^
    Reminds me of another stadium that's successful

except we don't want the argo's, right? they are going to be playing college pointyball at the new houston stadium.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CenturySam View Post
    except we don't want the argo's, right? they are going to be playing college pointyball at the new houston stadium.
    minor side note

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone is interested in a quick read, check out this wiki link to Stan Kroenke The guy is almost 13% owner of Arsenal and sits on their board, and that is why the Rapids are affliated with Arsenal via technical agreement...interesing, plus the guy is also married to one of the Wal-Mart daughters! Ka-CHING!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Kroenke

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe when we are dominated by shuffle board players, pensioners and grand parents.....
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    MLS rumours should have got the red card ages ago with a lifetime ban