Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cathal Kelly spews ignorance on the Fan

Cathal
    Calles the league "Minor League Soccer", says the league is essentially "contracting" and the american consumer will never clue in to the sport for another generation if Beckham leaves. I've had it with his misinformed drivel. What a boob. Why is this guy employed as a writer?

He's on at the end of the podcast:

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry about the haters of the game. Just enjoy it. If idiots can't see what their missing out on that's their problem. I don't pay attention to these people anymore.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We learn, not long ago, that Bobo McClown went to high school with the Star's bitter anti-soccer columnist Dave Parkins.

The Star tries every which way to oppose the building of BMO Field. They do the same when the MLS franchise for Toronto is awarded to MLSE.

They fail on both counts.

If you were the size of paper the Star is, or a columnist with the hubris of McClown, you'd not be taking that kind of re-buffing lightly. So they set about with this kind of on-going, long-term anti-soccer reporting.

All of this comes on the heels of Montreal drawing 55,000 for a midweek, Concacaf Champions League game. It comes at a time when Seattle, with ownership to die for, announces they'll be expecting crowds of over 25,000 every game.

It comes at a time when the CFL is shitting cinder blocks as it realizes that it's future is about to become seriously jeopardized as it faces mounting competition for a fan and a sponsor's sports dollar, here in Toronto, in Ottawa, in Montreal, in Vancouver and possibly even in Hamilton. And Alberta's time will come soon. It's a league that can ill afford even the slightest amount of competition as it operates on the tighest of profit margins. Check out Jeff Hunt's new diaper collection in Ottawa.

It's a league calling in every favour from every media friend they've cultivated with free drinks and schwingy party girls at every Grey Cup party the past few years.

The advent of MLS and its subsequent growth and development have come against all odds as mainstream media in North America have worked, without any real sense of conspiracy I might add, to make it look marginal and inconsequential. And they've failed.

The ability to deliver soccer product and fan contact on the internet or over specialized television signal delivery systems has utterly negated the mainstream media's efforts.

Cathal Kelly. Bobo Mcclown. wee davey perkins. The Star. The CFL and all its hyuk-hyuk, backslapping media buddies. TSN, the CFL's favorite network, who strive to minimize and even ridicule soccer even though they're a rights holder of a premium product in Champions League soccer.

These are all sad and desperate people who are spouting anti-soccer messages that just don't matter anymore.

Because if they did, TFC and MLS would already have been dead and buried.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Bobo McClown wanted Kelly on his program just to puff his chest up and tell Stephen Brunt nyah-nyah, told ya so. Anything to try and smear TFC.
    Last edited by Redcoe15; 03-03-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: So as not to confuse Bobo McClown with our forum member Bobo
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ +1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know its difficult, but what we must do is force our collective ignorance on Kelly just as he has done to Major League Soccer.

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
    Cathal
    Calles the league "Minor League Soccer", says the league is essentially "contracting" and the american consumer will never clue in to the sport for another generation if Beckham leaves. I've had it with his misinformed drivel. What a boob. Why is this guy employed as a writer?

He's on at the end of the podcast:

http://www.fan590.com/onair/primetimesports/
    While I agree with the Minor League Soccer bit, NO ONE should be shitting on TFC. They are the cream of the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I think Bobo wanted Kelly on his program just to puff his chest up and tell Stephen Brunt nyah-nyah, told ya so. Anything to try and smear TFC.
    Not me! So no hate mail please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    We learn, not long ago, that Bobo McClown went to high school with the Star's bitter anti-soccer columnist Dave Parkins.

The Star tries every which way to oppose the building of BMO Field. They do the same when the MLS franchise for Toronto is awarded to MLSE.

If you were the size of paper the Star is, or a columnist with the hubris of McClown, you'd not be taking that kind of re-buffing lightly. So they set about with this kind of on-going, long-term anti-soccer reporting.

All of this comes on the heels of Montreal drawing 55,000 for a midweek, Concacaf Champions League game. It comes at a time when Seattle, with ownership to die for, announces they'll be expecting crowds of over 25,000 every game.

It comes at a time when the CFL is shitting cinder blocks as it realizes that it's future is about to become seriously jeopardized as it faces mounting competition for a fan and a sponsor's sports dollar, here in Toronto, in Ottawa, in Montreal, in Vancouver and possibly even in Hamilton. And Alberta's time will come soon. It's a league that can ill afford even the slightest amount of competition as it operates on the tighest of profit margins. Check out Jeff Hunt's new diaper collection in Ottawa.

It's a league calling in every favour from every media friend they've cultivated with free drinks and schwingy party girls at every Grey Cup party the past few years.

The advent of MLS and its subsequent growth and development have come against all odds as mainstream media in North America have worked, without any real sense of conspiracy I might add, to make it look marginal and inconsequential. And they've failed.

The ability to deliver soccer product and fan contact on the internet or over specialized television signal delivery systems has utterly negated the mainstream media's efforts.

Cathal Kelly. Bobo Mcclown. wee davey perkins. The Star. The CFL and all its hyuk-hyuk, backslapping media buddies. TSN, the CFL's favorite network, who strive to minimize and even ridicule soccer even though they're a rights holder of a premium product in Champions League soccer.

These are all sad and desperate people who are spouting anti-soccer messages that just don't matter anymore.

Completely agree with you. As far as I'm concerned TSN, The Star, Cathal, and Bobo Mcclown can go fuck themselves and screw there colective CFL/MLB loving asses. Listen this is coming from someone in Bobo who doesn't even understand hockey for f'n sakes. These guys will be the same people who are going to jump on the bandwagon when this leauge gets bigger and better and when TFC wins the MLS Cup.

End Rant.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well ... if the continued trend of dropping revenues and circulation continues nobody will have to worry about reading anything from him ... All under Torstar Corp. - The Star (revenues down, circulations down), Wokopolis.com 14% drop in revenue, Toronto.com drops in advertising revenue etc. etc. etc. ...

Maybe Kelly can switch to writing Harlequin novels ... that's about the only thing selling at Torstar these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha ha Mclown !!! What a catcher! Basically fumbling you can tell he doesn't research shit all. At 31:38 Brunt is dumb founded "Do you want me to correct you as you go along or do I sit here and listen?"

How does Brunt not punch this a-hole in the head.
    Last edited by TorCanSoc; 03-03-2009 at 09:24 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    Not me! So no hate mail please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I think Bobo McClown wanted Kelly on his program just to puff his chest up and tell Stephen Brunt nyah-nyah, told ya so. Anything to try and smear TFC.

Last edited by Redcoe15; 1 Minute Ago at 09:14 PM. Reason: So as not to confuse Bobo McClown with our forum member Bobo
    Happy?
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post
    Well ... if the continued trend of dropping revenues and circulation continues nobody will have to worry about reading anything from him ... All under Torstar Corp. - The Star (revenues down, circulations down), Wokopolis.com 14% drop in revenue, Toronto.com drops in advertising revenue etc. etc. etc. ...

Maybe Kelly can switch to writing Harlequin novels ... that's about the only thing selling at Torstar these days.
    Hey! Hey! Careful Suds! That's where I work and we are doing very well thanks!
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Suds View Post

Friggin' beautiful. I will even give him a start...

Kelly: As I looked at him across the sparkling emerald (and plastic) pitch, I could barely manage to bring his name to my lips....Amado...

Amado: Qué pasa si he puesto mi pie hasta su lirio blanco ass!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Friggin' beautiful. I will even give him a start...

Kelly: As I looked at him across the sparkling emerald (and plastic) pitch, I could barely manage to bring his name to my lips....Amado...

Amado: Qué pasa si he puesto mi pie hasta su lirio blanco ass!!

Samuel: Did someone say pie?
    revised.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used agree with Cathal Kelly on some of his less than glorious articles. But now this guy is just negative with anything MLS. What an ass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    While I agree with the Minor League Soccer bit, NO ONE should be shitting on TFC. They are the cream of the league.
    ????

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find it really strange that Cathal Kelly who seems to hate the game and know nothing about the game, culture and the business of the game is still writing their soccer articles.

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    ????
    I don't understand....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    revised.....

hahahaha those pie jokes never get old to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish we could spread rep on this board

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cathal Kelly is a dumbass. So what if Beckham leaves the Galaxy. No different then Edu heading to Rangers.

DUH MLS is as smaller league but its a good one with growing talent. Entertaining matches and a growing fan capacity. Shit the future of MLS is in Canada with three franchises and a possible one in Ottawa and Alberta...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[insert slow-clap here]

dead on.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I guess it really hurt McClown's pride to have 3 pro-soccer guests on his show a couple of weeks back (Forrest, Reed, and Frew) - so having Cathal on his program probably gave him some satisfaction.

BTW, I stupidly agreed to a trial subscription for the Toronto Star a few weeks back - I'll be cancelling it tomorrow.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a soccer supporter reading kellys articles is like a mother of 3 reading the diary of Josef Fritzl
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I had my first King Dave experience[...]was blowing in my mouth all game.

I loved it, it tasted like Canada!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's a bit unfair. The CFL and MLS can co-exist. MLS expansion in Ottawa is looking more and more unlikely, Jeff Hunt has no reason to be worried about his CFL bid.

I think you're over-dramatizing the CFL almost as much as The Star is with MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I've got a question.

If you hate what he has to say so much, why do I keep seeing threads about it?

IGNORE IT.

There. Over. Next.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of these sportscasters like Mcown, Perkins, and the late Pat Marsden are like the Toronto Sun Columninsts, Big Oil,etc, they are ignorant and afraid of change, or something different, In there world only what they see as good is the norm, If something different comes accross they will critic it without looking at first.Pretty narrowminded

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super Cereal View Post
    I think that's a bit unfair. The CFL and MLS can co-exist. MLS expansion in Ottawa is looking more and more unlikely, Jeff Hunt has no reason to be worried about his CFL bid.

I think you're over-dramatizing the CFL almost as much as The Star is with MLS.
    The Alouettes lose money. The Argos don't make much on average. Hamilton barely scrapes by and regularly loses money. Vancouver has done OK lately but has had a patchy history, financially, the past two decades.

That's half the league feeling good about themselves if they duck red ink in any given year.

Jeff Hunt makes brave noises about sharing a possible new CFL stadium arrangement with Eugene Melnyk's potential MLS franchise in Ottawa. Not possible. The presence of a soccer team would simply consign the CFL team to the sort of marginal existence that's already seen two Ottawa teams fold. Eugene Melnyk has deep enough pockets to outlast the CFL.

That's not being unfair. That's not being dramatic. As Bill Murray once so exquisitely put it: "THAT'S THE FACT, JACK!"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jeff Hunt makes brave noises about sharing a possible new CFL stadium arrangement with Eugene Melnyk's potential MLS franchise in Ottawa. Not possible. The presence of a soccer team would simply consign the CFL team to the sort of marginal existence that's already seen two Ottawa teams fold. Eugene Melnyk has deep enough pockets to outlast the CFL.
    Hunt knows that full well. But it's a good way to make himself come off as the good guy, rather than selfish.

Melnyk's deep pockets may not get a chance to outlast the CFL. If city council agrees to Hunt's proposal over Melnyk's and the CFL team and Landsdowne go ahead as planned, do you really see Ottawa ever getting an MLS team? I can't see Ottawa supporting CFL and MLS, and I expect city council to see it the same way.

Hey, I pray Ottawa gets an MLS team, I may even buy season tickets if they do. But I just don't think it's very likely. Just my two cents.