Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I'm sure if TFC were in the Impacts position right now, we'd all (majority of the the peple on this board) be saying how great this is for Canadian Soccer.

I've seen that phrase (TFC is great for CDN Soccer, TFC is the saviour of CDn soccer..etc etc) sooo many times on this board without a single person questioning it.
    I'm under no illusion that TFC is great for Canadian soccer in general. I do believe that it is a positive force for Canadian soccer in the Southern Ontario region...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Workie View Post
    Like I said, I don't buy it. Winning has nothing to do with advancing the sport really. How many kids wanted to be like Mats Sundin (when he was with the Leafs), dispite how bad the Leafs were doing?

Regardless, this is about football. We can agruge back and forth until we're both blue in the face, but Montreal doing well in CL, has little to no effect on Football in Canada. IMO.
    I'm not sure I agree. For one thing, people were complaining that Canada got a spot in the CCL. By MTL going as far as they have, those complaints should be quited somewhat.

For another, they got 55k out for a game! The fact is, most of those people have probably never been to an impact game before. If they enjoyed it (and it was an enjoyable game) they might come back this season. If the Impact start pulling in high attendence numbers, they will be making more money which, as a non-profit, must go back into the club itself. This means Montreal could have a great academy. A top notch academy would train young Canadian players, and increase the quality of our national team. Our national team doing better will help it get into the world cup, which will increase interest in Canadian soccer across canada. All of this is good for Canadian soccer in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a lot of you would feel a lot better and that you were doing the "right thing" if you just went over to the Montreal message boards and congratulated all those donkeys eh? Go on! do it...you may like it over there.

PS: Half the people in those stands last night don't give a shit what this does for Canadian soccer...maybe Quebec soccer but not Canadian soccer.
    Last edited by Pigfynn; 02-26-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    You are absolutely right,now how Montreal success doesn't help professional soccer in Canada?
    It's my opinion. I just don't believe the success of local teams will help the overall sport that much nationally. Success of our NATIONAL teams will help. Again, My opinion. I may be wrong, but I'm not changing my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigfynn View Post
    I think a lot of you would feel a lot better and that you were doing the "right thing" if you just went over to the Montreal message boards and congratulated all those donkeys eh? Go on! do it...you may like it over there.
    BLASPHEMY!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS: Half the people in those stands last night don't give a shit what this does for Canadian soccer...maybe Quebec soccer but not Candadian soccer.

Bingo.

How may were there supporting the other team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As long as were not competing directly with montreal i see no reason for rivalry. They are in we are out.
    They won thier chance to represent canada last year and are making the most of it. My congratulations to the impact for all the positives in yesterdays match..

But don't forget that this years is another animal and coming into our house is not going to be the same like last year..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    Hockey had been established in this country for a long time and can't really be used as a comparison....football as a sport has struggled here and I think any success is good....it sucks it's not our team but it is what it....that's all.
    Agreed. I think though that the Impact winning will have more of an impact on the sport in Quebec rather than nation wide. Still great for Canada though.

Quebec puts a lot of resources towards their sports as it raises their recognition nationally and internationally. If we look at what many consider fringe sports winning titles in sports such as MMA (GSP), Judo (Gill), and to an extent CFL, success has seen massive increased enrollment and funds in Quebec. Even F1 with Villeneuve (RIP) raised the profile of the F1 circut and led to an increase in Canadian drivers in the different levels of racing that we see today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a Leaf fan would I cheer for the Habs in the playoffs? Fuck no.
    As a Man City fan would I cheer for United in the Champions League? Fuck no.
    You guys are fucked. Montreal is the enemy. We do compete with them directly. To wish them anything but harm and misfortune is unthinkable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting the feeling that some of you stayed behind at BMO to applaud the Impact when they won the Voyageurs Cup!

Honestly, Is it a byproduct of the participation ribbon generation where it has to be an "everybody wins" situation all the time?

Pathetic.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    You guys are fucked. Montreal is the enemy. We do compete with them directly. To wish them anything but harm and misfortune is unthinkable.
    Do we have history of 50 years plus with Impact?
    NO

To compare those rivalry with TFC v Impact is just stupid,sorry but it is.

Maybe I'm fucked,but you are M.Leafs and M.City fan I prefer being fucked.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did tfc get another CD yet...do we still have a team here.
    really people montreal well coached team,but how many players on montreal can play for tfc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting the feeling that some of you stayed behind at BMO to applaud the Impact when they won the Voyageurs Cup!

Honestly, Is it a byproduct of the participation ribbon generation where it has to be an "everybody wins" situation all the time?

Pathetic.
    Some of us were Canadian soccer fans long before the MLS existed . I guess some of us like seeing a Canadian club do well. If it brings up the participation in the sport and eventually leads to a deeper CMNT pool I am all for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Workie View Post
    I'd rather save that energy for TFC.

Then why are you on here whining and wasting your energy bashing the Impact, this tournment has nothing to do with TFC. It would be easier if you just allowed the people that want to be happy about this, have their little space to be happy.

I could care less if you feel the need to hate them because they are the enemy or if you are proud of them because they are a Canadian based team. However spending your energy being a hater does not translate into support for TFC ATM.

Fuck L'Impact!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Do we have history of 50 years plus with Impact?
    NO

To compare those rivalry with TFC v Impact is just stupid,sorry but it is.

Maybe I'm fucked,but you are M.Leafs and M.City fan I prefer being fucked.
    Toronto, as a city, has a hell of a lot more than 50 years of rivalry history with Montreal. If their 3rd graders were playing our 3rd graders at marbles there's a built in rivalry. It's a natural rivalry which will always exist in any sport, activity or even craft the two cities participate in.

I have to think that anti-Toronto sentiment helped sell those 55,000 tickets last night. I'm sure they've heard enough about BMO field and our waiting list for tickets.

They don't have "Canada" written across the bottom of their shirts.

And yeah, I could have probably chosen easier teams to love.
    Last edited by Don Julio; 02-26-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drewski View Post
    I'm so torn. Being a Toronto fan I've grown up hating all Montreal teams, but on the other hand its good to see a Canadian team doing well

Part of me wants them to lose so we can do better than them next year, and part of me wants them to win so that when we beat them in CCL it looks better for us

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the read folks.
    I almost chimed in with my opinion on this whole "do I wish Montreal well" scenario.

But I've been here before, and I am tired of it.

I think all of you should simply say "we have different opinions on the matter, and that's that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, anyone have pictures of what the stands looked like? I missed the game (didn't care enough about New France to remember), but I'd like to see how the stadium looked with all those people in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    Thanks for the read folks.
    I almost chimed in with my opinion on this whole "do I wish Montreal well" scenario.

But I've been here before, and I am tired of it.

I think all of you should simply say "we have different opinions on the matter, and that's that"
    Haha, the next time I click on my link to the RPB forums, I expect to see, across my screen, the message "We have different opinions on the matter, and that's that". Congrats, you've solved the internet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS Pre-season: Red Bulls down River Plate reserves, 2-1

A first-half goal from Dane Richards off a Khano Smith cross, and a second-half strike by Andrew Boyens helped the New York Red Bulls down the River Plate reserves, 2-1, in a pre-season friendly in Argentina on Thursday morning.
    http://www.soccerbyives.typepad.com/

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    As a Man Utd fan, I've cheered for Hull as the underdog at the start of the EPL season (except when they were playing us). Mind you, I'm not threatened by Hull. Maybe one reason for the venom against MTL is that we are threatened by the Impact, because we're afraid we're good enough to win the V-Cup this year. Or maybe it's just because of their stupid, moronic, idiotic, wannabe hooligan supporters ( didn't overstate that, did I? ) .
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-26-2009 at 10:59 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Razcle View Post
    Then why are you on here whining and wasting your energy bashing the Impact, this tournment has nothing to do with TFC. It would be easier if you just allowed the people that want to be happy about this, have their little space to be happy.

I could care less if you feel the need to hate them because they are the enemy or if you are proud of them because they are a Canadian based team. However spending your energy being a hater does not translate into support for TFC ATM.

Fuck L'Impact!

Wow.

Ok, fine, you win. God forbid I decide to voice my opinion around here.

I never attacked anyone, or "didn't allow" people to be happy about it. Good for them. It's not for me.

That said, I'll take my "Impact bashing" elsewhere.

Signed,

The Hater.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Razcle View Post

Fuck L'Impact!

Its the reaction of being dumbfounded how so many people on a Toronto FC forum are so easily happy for a rival.

It would do just as much for Canadian soccer if there were rivalries recognized by the fans. The days of 3 USL teams with mediocre support are gone.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Haha, the next time I click on my link to the RPB forums, I expect to see, across my screen, the message "We have different opinions on the matter, and that's that". Congrats, you've solved the internet!

yes yes... I see what your saying...

My point was simply that this is barely a topic with discussing any more.
    It's silly and insignificant...
    Spend your time discussing something in another thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Also, anyone have pictures of what the stands looked like? I missed the game (didn't care enough about New France to remember), but I'd like to see how the stadium looked with all those people in it.
    lol ... New France you got that right

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this needs to be moved to the canada soccer forum this has nothing to do the the mls or tfc

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    ^^ Probably not, but at the same time, Saputo wasn't expecting half that crowd and was pricing it to try and meet his goal of 30k.

Difference being, MLSE would price it knowing full well people WILL pay.
    I'd hate to think that was true...but given history, I'd have to think this is very likely. So sad...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple question...would Limpact fans wish US well if the positions were reversed?

I find it hard to believe they would.

While I begrudgingly accept that this has a secondary benefit in helping soccer (mostly in Quebec remember...as you get further away, people will care less, think anyone in Alberta cares the Limpact won?) the PRIMARY benefit is to our rivals. And if you are ok with that...at least accept that I am not as happy about that fact.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. For one thing, people were complaining that Canada got a spot in the CCL. By MTL going as far as they have, those complaints should be quited somewhat.

For another, they got 55k out for a game! The fact is, most of those people have probably never been to an impact game before. If they enjoyed it (and it was an enjoyable game) they might come back this season. If the Impact start pulling in high attendence numbers, they will be making more money which, as a non-profit, must go back into the club itself. This means Montreal could have a great academy. A top notch academy would train young Canadian players, and increase the quality of our national team. Our national team doing better will help it get into the world cup, which will increase interest in Canadian soccer across canada. All of this is good for Canadian soccer in general.
    But FIRSTLY benefits the Limpact.

The Limpact producing good academy players may help out the CMNT, but it has an even bigger impact on Montreal's team first, helping them produce a stronger team which is detrimental to TFC.

Everyone is looking at this from a general "Canadian" point of view....which I agree can mitigate the bitterness of Montrael winning. But that's it. It should mitigate it, not convert bitterness and anger into happy happy joy joy feelings!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

perhaps from here on in, we should be putting the Impact news in the international forum where it belongs. It's not TFC or MLS related news...

That will hopefully curb TFC fans looking for tfc news to be bombarded with Impact news and or pages of arguments.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who's the impact, and why are they playing in OUR tournament?! We need to correct things this summer.

That spot was for TFC and montreal cheated us out of it. Fuck them.