RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Yesterday’s News,Thursday,Feb.26-Warning-Content Impact news

Mornin'

Sorry,no TFC news for now.
    Impact news are all over the net,here are some of them.

Big Montreal crowd takes in winter soccer

MONTREAL — The pitcher's mound is long gone, now part of a soccer field.
    Five years after the Montreal Expos left town, Olympic Stadium filled up Wednesday night, a big change for the mostly idle and mostly problematic home of the 1976 Summer Olympics.
    A near-capacity crowd of 55,571 took in a CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal game, a 2-0 win for the Montreal Impact of the United Soccer League over Mexican club Santos Laguna.

Another quarterfinal in Houston on Tuesday night drew just more than 10,000 fans for a 1-1 tie between the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer and Atlante FC of Mexico.
    Read More

Impact have upper hand

MONTREAL — So does this mean professional soccer is now officially a winter sport in Canada? Legions of raucous fans turned out to cheer the Montreal Impact to a comprehensive 2-0 triumph against Mexican side Santos Laguna in the first leg of their CONCACAF Champions League quarter-final at a packed Olympic Stadium last night.
    The atmosphere was charged with the din of 55,571 people filling the aging stadium — the teams played on a synthetic surface that's a leftover from the under-20 World Cup in 2007 — for the first midwinter pro soccer fixture to be held in Montreal.
    "The support we had in the stands was unbelievable … everybody wants to make it seem like this is a hockey nation. This is not a hockey nation, this is a soccer nation," said midfielder Sandro Grande, who played a key role in the win.

Read More

Impact shut out Santos in CONCACAF Champions League

Eduardo Sebrango scored twice as the Montreal Impact shut out Santos Laguna of Mexico 2-0 in the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League quarter-finals at Olympic Stadium on Wednesday night. "They have one foot in the semifinals of the CONCACAF Champions League," CBC Sports broadcaster Nigel Reed said as the final whistle sounded.

Read More

SUNSHINE

COED
    Last edited by denime; 02-26-2009 at 07:12 AM.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    NW corner of Hwy #48 & Queensville Sdrd Mount Albert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Impact run is amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep Up The Good Work Montreal Impact, Make Us Proud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so torn. Being a Toronto fan I've grown up hating all Montreal teams, but on the other hand its good to see a Canadian team doing well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local keeper gets dream shot in Scotland

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/593273

Daniel Girard
    Sports Reporter

For as long as he can remember, Lucas Birnstingl has wanted to be a professional soccer player.
    Now, less than two weeks after turning 19, he's getting his chance.
    Birnstingl, a 6-foot-4, 190-pound goalkeeper from Oakville, arrived yesterday in Scotland, where he's signed a three-month contract with First Division Dundee FC.
    "I've been working to do this my whole life," Birnstingl said before leaving. "It's finally happening.
    "It's such a great feeling."
    Birnstingl, who graduated from Oakville's Iroquois Ridge High School in June, spent two weeks in Scotland earlier in February trying out for Dundee, which sits in third place in the league standings.
    Last edited by denime; 02-26-2009 at 09:03 AM.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Nice, good to see we're producing some decent quality keepers. Hopefully he does well at Dundee.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mornin all
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll never see that here.

If that game had been TFC v Santos at Skydome in the Concacaf quarterfinals, do you think MLSE would have priced it at $10-35 a ticket (ie in such a way that they could get a sellout)?

NFW, in my opinion.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hate montreal, but definitely nice to see them doing well in champions league... best of luck the rest of the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Probably not, but at the same time, Saputo wasn't expecting half that crowd and was pricing it to try and meet his goal of 30k.

Difference being, MLSE would price it knowing full well people WILL pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuck the impact

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow!

Another quarterfinal in Houston on Tuesday night drew just more than 10,000 fans for a 1-1 tie between the Houston Dynamo of Major League Soccer and Atlante FC of Mexico.

thats just awful!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal was just so impressive.

Despite the Toronto-Montreal rivalry one had to be impressed. They played better than most MLS teams and you could see that they really wanted to win. Even Braz played better than he ever did for TFC. It was almost like seeing a different player.

Limniatis' strategy was brilliant. He is clearly one of the best Canadian coaches around.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 02-26-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drewski View Post
    I'm so torn. Being a Toronto fan I've grown up hating all Montreal teams, but on the other hand its good to see a Canadian team doing well

I don't understand why people feel the need to support Montreal in this. I hate them. My team's no longer in this tournament, so I couldn't give a fuck. Fuck Montreal. I don't care how well they're doing, They're still the Impact. I'm not going to support a team that for the remaining 364 days a year I dispise.
    Last edited by Mrs. Workie; 02-26-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Workie View Post
    I don't understand why people feel the need to support Montreal in this. I hate them. My team's no long in this tournament, so I couldn't give a fuck. Fuck Montreal. I don't care how well they're doing, They're still the Impact. I'm not going to support a team that for the remaining 364 days a year I dispise.

You are supposed to support them so they can get a small article in the paper and 20 seconds on sportsnet!
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post

You are supposed to support them so they can get a small article in the paper and 20 seconds on sportsnet!
    I'd rather save that energy for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why people feel the need to support Montreal in this.
    simple really, I'm a patriotic Canadian and as such I like to Canadians show well on the international stage regardless of who they are.

that being said, the other part I mentioned wholeheartedly agree's with you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drewski View Post
    simple really, I'm a patriotic Canadian and as such I like to Canadians show well on the international stage regardless of who they are.
    We have Men's and Women's National teams for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have Men's and Women's National teams for that.
    too bad they aren't the only Canadian team left in this year's CL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but its a good thing they aren't our rivals...
    Animals Eaten:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

enough the selective reading

I said agree with you, the fan side of me doesn't wanna see them win anythign cause they are our rivals. geez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was speaking in general terms, not just to you, I was being unselective
    Animals Eaten:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand why people feel the need to support Montreal in this. I hate them. My team's no longer in this tournament, so I couldn't give a fuck. Fuck Montreal. I don't care how well they're doing, They're still the Impact. I'm not going to support a team that for the remaining 364 days a year I dispise.
    I am glad Montreal won. The reason being is that we are trying to make a name for ourselves in this sport and ANY success a Canadian team has is a good thing. Would I have preferred it be TFC, of course, but our boys didn't bring it when needed so this is where we are. Montreal played well last night and deserved the win.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed - I don't understand the "Canadian" angle either. It's not the nat's, it's the Montreal Impact. It's not so much that I hate them, it's that I don't give a rats ass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh dear god. Is the SSG PRE-op?! I just almost lost my breakfast. Jesus do I have to stop hitting that link.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think people are missing the point here.
    People are saying that 'you have to respect what Montreal has done'....'it's very impressive what Montreal has done in the champions league'.

That in no way implies support of them, it is merely being impressed in the same way a bicycle kick off a header in the box for the win in an MLS cup would impress us all. Give it up, we understand you love TFC and you hate the Impact, but denying that what they have done with that team is impressive, is ignorance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    I am glad Montreal won. The reason being is that we are trying to make a name for ourselves in this sport and ANY success a Canadian team has is a good thing. Would I have preferred it be TFC, of course, but our boys didn't bring it when needed so this is where we are. Montreal played well last night and deserved the win.

Let me ask you this...

Did the success of the Maple Leafs, Habs, Sens, or any other Canadian NHL team have ANY positive affect on the Winnipeg Jets?

Or should I say Phoenix...

I'm sorry, I don't buy that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me ask you this...

Did the success of the Maple Leafs, Habs, Sens, or any other Canadian NHL team have ANY positive affect on the Winnipeg Jets?

Or should I say Phoenix...

I'm sorry, I don't buy that.
    Only one of the three teams mentioned ever won a stanley cup during the winnipeg jets tenure in the NHL. This point is moot.
    Also, it is being argued from the wrong perspective. Tough economic times are not a product of the play of other Canadian teams. The proper argument would have been, did the Montreal Canadiens winning the Stanley Cup in 1993 advance CANADIAN hockey? The answer would probably be yes. It probably inspired a lot of young Canadian goalies to be like Patrick Roy, or Kirk Muller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post

That in no way implies support of them, it is merely being impressed in the same way a bicycle kick off a header in the box for the win in an MLS cup would impress us all. Give it up, we understand you love TFC and you hate the Impact, but denying that what they have done with that team is impressive, is ignorance.
    <----- Ignorant.

Like I said before, I don't care how well they're doing. My team's no longer in the tournament, so I don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BFin View Post
    I think people are missing the point here.
    People are saying that 'you have to respect what Montreal has done'....'it's very impressive what Montreal has done in the champions league'.

How is it any more impressive then Puerto Rico?

What exactly are we supposed to "give up", not wishing our rivals well??
    Animals Eaten: