Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Galaxy Waive GK Cronin

CARSON, Calif. (AP) -The Los Angeles Galaxy waived five players Wednesday, including last season's top goaltender Steve Cronin, and trimmed their preseason roster to 27. Defenders Brandon McDonald, Mike Randolph and Troy Roberts and midfielder Ely Allen also were waived.

Pure spec on my part, but could Edwards or Sutton be sent off to LA?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eref=si_soccer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey have Josh Wicks and another goalie as backup to Ricketts.

EDIT: Other goalie is Saunders.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could see Edwards going....but TFC need to get a deal from LA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of defender would we get from LA? there's nothing in LA we want. Unless we need allocation but only if we've secured a defender first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see Edwards going to Chivas as backup for Thornton - the backup there I think is Logan Parke.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edwards is going to be a solid mls keeper all he needs is a full season as # 1 but that will never happen in TO or LA
    http://www.onesecondleft.com/ Please visit the one second left blog that I contribute to.

My MLS now includes Montreal... we needed someone to hate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvinho View Post
    I could see Edwards going to Chivas as backup for Thornton - the backup there I think is Logan Parke.
    for Jazic?

Wishful thinking since they just acquired him.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt TFC would get much more than a draft pick for Edwards. He hasn't done enough in the league to be considered more than a warm body, and the whole league would see any offer by TFC for what it is, a salary dump.

As far as trade value goes, Frei would a much more attractive proposition to other teams due to his Generation Adidas status. I doubt it would be enough to pry a quality defender from anyone.

If we end up getting that elusive CB, I'll bet dollars to dunuts it's from outside MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    for Jazic?

Wishful thinking since they just acquired him.
    nope for a 2nd round pick. That is probably what Edwards is worth on the market.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well he is a late draft pick. I would assume a draft pick should be a great return.
    Maybe a 1st

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's trade Edwards for Dunivat!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would LA trade for another goalie when they already have 3??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why the hell don't people talk about Sutton being the one dealt!?!?!?!

I've been stressing it for the past 2/3 days now...

Sutton's cap hit is big - we've got a younger guy apparently good enough to push him for minutes (likely split) that came highly rated and was the steal of the draft...(Frei)

...So why would we trade a backup - a GREAT BACKUP - who's cheap cap-hit that we likely wouldnt get anything for??? (Edwards)

Why?

It just seems silly to me,

Sutton could fetch more, and clear us more cap room.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ You don't get rid of your veteran keeper on the potential of a new kid.
    Last edited by loconet; 02-25-2009 at 10:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poppamidnight View Post

Sutton's cap hit is big - we've got a younger guy apparently good enough to push him for minutes (likely split) that came highly rated and was the steal of the draft...(Frei)

...So why would we trade a backup - a GREAT BACKUP - who's cheap cap-hit that we likely wouldnt get anything for??? (Edwards)

Why?

Well I sure am glad you're not Mo. You want to put your entire season on two rookies, what a joke.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Well I sure am glad you're not Mo. You want to put your entire season on two rookies, what a joke.
    If one of the youngsters has a good run, I could see this happening either next off season or just before the deadline this year...
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think edwards is back up to frei who may be the go to keeper when sutton could get the call to the gold cup. i'm not a fan of three keepers with the limited roster spots but i think it just makes sense just in case someone gets an international call or is injured. and seeing that most people believe we will only get a draft pick for edwards, it doesn't seem like much then to keep him for insurance. also consider the fact that if frei is really as good as some people suggest he is, switzerland may just call him up to their squad if he gets some playing time in toronto.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by poppamidnight View Post

Why?

1) Sutton doesn't cost us an international slot. Edwards does.
    2) Sutton is a wiley veteran, who can impart some of his experience on Frei. We don't want a season with a rookie and a backup GK.
    3) Trading Edwards for allocation would soften Sutton's cap hit.

Edwards will be the one to go. Guaranteed. There is no way that TFC wastes cap room on paying for three keepers, and there's no way they trade away their Canadian, or their Generation Adidas youngster with buckets of potential.

I generally like Edwards, but it just doesn't logically make sense to trade the other two. Especially if Frei is impressing as much as it's been reported.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also possible TFC hangs onto all three keepers until after the Gold Cup in case that useless twat calls Sutton up to the National Team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    Let's trade Edwards for Dunivat!

Hahaha. I laughed out loud at this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Randolph any good????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devioustrevor View Post
    It's also possible TFC hangs onto all three keepers until after the Gold Cup in case that useless twat calls Sutton up to the National Team.
    I sincerely hope they don't waste cap space on a third GK. If Sutts gets called up to play, we can put Frei in.

Considering we don't have a reserve league anymore, it just doesn't make sense to retain a third keeper.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I sincerely hope they don't waste cap space on a third GK. If Sutts gets called up to play, we can put Frei in.

Considering we don't have a reserve league anymore, it just doesn't make sense to retain a third keeper.

- Scott
    nobody is getting traded from these 3, gen addidas (frei) does not count towards the cap, so when you compare the cap hit for GKs from last year to this year, its the same.

mabey Mo will trade one of these guys later in the season, after a clear starter has emerged, but not in the first half on the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we will have 3 goalies until the summer transfer window opens. Then Mo can tinker with the team. If he finds a player who is available, he can then move a goalie.

We currently have 1 roster spot open for a CB (assuming Hall and Richardson sign). Do we really need to trade a goalie away to get another player who won't get playing time??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we will have 3 goalies until the summer transfer window opens. Then Mo can tinker with the team. If he finds a player who is available, he can then move a goalie.

We currently have 1 roster spot open for a CB (assuming Hall and Richardson sign). Do we really need to trade a goalie away to get another player who won't get playing time??
    If they decide to bring in more than one defender, absolutely. We need depth at the back.

Obviously I don't care about the cap space, if it isn't going to be used - but we have two considerations: one is the aforementioned lack of depth at the back, and the other is the prospect of signing a DP in the summer transfer window.

If Frei is as impressive as Carver, and various reporters have said he is, what is the point of keeping Edwards?

I would only keep him on board, if they aren't convinced of Frei's ability, or if they don't get a good offer for him.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you are saying for lack od depth at the back.

I am just looking at the numbers......let's say we have $300K left in allocation money. That is $300K to sign Richardson and the new CB. Let's say that $250K is used. If we trade Edwards now for a pick......that leaves about $95K to sign another player. We could probably get a decent player. But, it doesn't leave any wiggle room in July.

Say in July we see a DP we want, we can maybe trade Frei for allocation money, or even release Sutton.
    Last edited by Nuvinho; 02-25-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever is left in the kitty, I would assume goes to a defender. . .

the hottest girl at teh prom. . remember?

WALK ON TFC
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Technorgasm View Post
    Whatever is left in the kitty, I would assume goes to a defender. . .

the hottest girl at teh prom. . remember?

WALK ON TFC
    I agree......I think that the CB they are bringing in will be in the $150K to $200K range....just seems like Mo has something even bigger than what he has done up his sleeve......a CB no one would of expected.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you are saying for lack od depth at the back.

I am just looking at the numbers......let's say we have $300K left in allocation money. That is $300K to sign Richardson and the new CB. Let's say that $250K is used. If we trade Edwards now for a pick......that leaves about $95K to sign another player. We could probably get a decent player. But, it doesn't leave any wiggle room in July.

Say in July we see a DP we want, we can maybe trade Frei for allocation money, or even release Sutton.
    If I were Mo, I would trade Edwards for allocation instead of a draft pick - the cap space cleared up, in addition to the allocation money, would let us sign better depth on defense.

But I get your point, nonetheless.

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadview View Post

As far as trade value goes, Frei would a much more attractive proposition to other teams due to his Generation Adidas status. I doubt it would be enough to pry a quality defender from anyone.
    Frei is really a special case. He's GA, he's an international, and he's got pretty clear potential value to be sold on to Europe.

The need to use an international slot on the guy is what caused him to slip to 13 in the draft. International slots are very valuable. It mattered more than his GA status.

You can't waste international slots on backups. That's part of why I think Frei won't sit for long, and why I think Sutton's days are numbered. He either plays, or he's out of MLS
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”