02-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Carver's the key for Toronto FC
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/02/carvers_the_key_for_toronto_fc.html

TorontoBlades
02-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Good article, ageed 100%

BuSaPuNk
02-19-2009, 01:06 PM
^ Agreed. Carver is the right man for the job. The naysayers can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

scooter
02-19-2009, 01:41 PM
great article i wanted to comment but for some reason not having much luck creating an account with cbc
if you do have an account please make a comment to support Nigel who i hope will be back commenting this year and is freind of rpb

CoachGT
02-19-2009, 02:20 PM
John Carver's All Red Army!

BuSaPuNk
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2894622115_6b0a0e5a1d.jpg?v=0

rocker
02-19-2009, 02:32 PM
i can "hear" nigel's accent when i read his writing. it's written exactly the way he talks.

C.Ronaldo
02-19-2009, 02:59 PM
^ creepy guy alert.

the staches and the young girl

johnmolinaro
02-19-2009, 03:55 PM
great article i wanted to comment but for some reason not having much luck creating an account with cbc
if you do have an account please make a comment to support Nigel who i hope will be back commenting this year and is freind of rpb

it was a technical problem that has been fixed so you should be able to create an account and post comments.

John

Eastend
02-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I also agree. I think for our young club that Carver is the right man.

Detroit_TFC
02-19-2009, 04:34 PM
^ creepy guy alert.

the staches and the young girl

LOL

"Yeah baby, I've got a waterbed..."

Beach_Red
02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
^ Agreed. Carver is the right man for the job. The naysayers can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

It's interesting that Carver made many adjustments in his first season - stuff like not starting players after they returned from international duty - and the players are still united for him. It's nice to see everyone gave him a chance to learn the wonky MLS ways.

Well, almost everyone ;)....

TFC Via Buffalo
02-19-2009, 05:05 PM
LOL

"Yeah baby, I've got a waterbed..."

"Have you ever seen a crisp $50 bill?"

jloome
02-19-2009, 07:59 PM
"Have you ever seen a crisp $50 bill?"

Maybe it's his daughter, you pervs. Besides, she looks over 18 to me....

Redcoe15
02-19-2009, 08:19 PM
"hey Jc, Jc. Won't You Fight With Me..."

ensco
02-19-2009, 08:29 PM
OK I'm a big believer in stability. I think Carver can be a good coach. I like his passion. I'm glad we brought him back.

But can we please (media and fans alike) stop falling all over ourselves to kiss his butt? He was coach of a last place team, and Carver showed serious weaknesses last year - the unnecessary calling out of players, the whole "you keep your shirt thing" that I'm convinced cost us points, and possibly Tebily (making him sit in favour of Velez has to be the dumbest thing any MLS coach did last year - btw wouldn't Tebily look good right about now)

Carver, like most of the players, has to improve this year. Spare me the undeserved adulation - like the rest of us living in the real world, he needs to earn it.

(As an aside, we need a tougher media in this town. Too many free passes for players and coaches in all the sports. Calling players and coaches out leads to winning - they want to prove their critics wrong. Giving undeserved praise just makes people comfortable.)

jloome
02-19-2009, 08:34 PM
OK I'm a big believer in stability. I think Carver can be a good coach. I like his passion. I'm glad we brought him back.

But can we please (media and fans alike) stop falling all over ourselves to kiss his butt? He was coach of a last place team, and Carver showed serious weaknesses last year - the unnecessary calling out of players, the whole "you keep your shirt thing" that I'm convinced cost us points, and possibly Tebily (making him sit in favour of velez has to be the dumbest thing any MLS coach did last year - btw wouldn't Tebily look good right about now)

Carver, like most of the players, has to improve this year. Spare me the undeserved adulation - like the rest of us living in the real world, he needs to earn it.

As an aside, we need a tougher media in this town. Too many free passes for players and coaches in all the sports.

Not to nitpick, but we were third-last, not last (unless you're discounting the entire western division) and only three games out of the playoffs. So it was hardly disastrous. You'll also note that he had six wins in the first half of the season; it was the second half, with the prolonged road trip and half the team missing for qualifiers, when we fell apart.

ensco
02-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Not to nitpick, but we were third-last, not last (unless you're discounting the entire western division) and only three games out of the playoffs. So it was hardly disastrous. You'll also note that he had six wins in the first half of the season; it was the second half, with the prolonged road trip and half the team missing for qualifiers, when we fell apart.

Not to nitpick, but we were last in the east, 12th out of 14 teams overall, and you didn't say anything about my real point :)...

...which is that Carver had a very mixed year - he made decisions that probably threw away points last year

Keyman
02-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Calling out players publicly only hurts those players who are weak-minded, and I don't want those type of players on my team. Carver usually has justification for his comments, therefore I have no problem with them. I've talked to plenty of players about this, and they say that the reaction is entirely personal to the player. If Carver believes that he has the trust of the majority of the team, then I see no reason why he shouldn't be able to call players out.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-19-2009, 10:13 PM
and im sure hes learned from those decisions like the keep your shirt rule for instance, if hes got a best 11, hes not going to sit them, same goes for goalies, i dont see Edwards or Frei starting over Sutton this year

Beach_Red
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
and possibly Tebily (making him sit in favour of Velez has to be the dumbest thing any MLS coach did last year - btw wouldn't Tebily look good right about now)

I think your other points are fine (I tried to make the same ones earlier in this thread but didn't say it as well) but I doubt Tebily not playing enough had anything to do with him leaving. The only reason I say this is because unlike Robert, Tebily didn't go play somewhere else. It just makes me feel he didn't want to play anymore.

But you're certainly right, he'd look good right about now.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-19-2009, 11:28 PM
prob was that Velez was playing well with Marshall didnt they have 3 or 4 clean sheets in a row? Why would you sit defenders that are playing well? Carver isnt a seer. Also i think Tebily was injured for a bit when we could have used him.
It just didnt work out and its a shame as i think he would have been a huge asset

ginkster88
02-19-2009, 11:42 PM
i can "hear" nigel's accent when i read his writing. it's written exactly the way he talks.

Haha, I was doing the same thing.

giambac
02-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Carver's the key for Toronto FC
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/02/carvers_the_key_for_toronto_fc.html

The article says it all

Carver lead TFC to a total 9 wins last season and only 3 wins after the allstar break......

Carver's the key for TFC????

God help us

TorontoBlades
02-20-2009, 12:05 PM
^ have you found one manager out there that could do half the job JC has done, that would be as loyal to the TFC of the MLS.

mclaren
02-20-2009, 02:05 PM
I hope Carver does well, I really do. But unfortunately he has no record of success as a coach just as Mo did not. Let's hope he makes this season the start of winning ways.

giambac
02-20-2009, 04:02 PM
^ have you found one manager out there that could do half the job JC has done, that would be as loyal to the TFC of the MLS.

Loyalty?

I want a coach who can back up his talk with results.

Also you want to talk about being loyal to TFC and his players. Is this not the guy who was constantly crticizing and throwing his players under the bus after each game? Loyalty???

jloome
02-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Loyalty?

I want a coach who can back up his talk with results.

Also you want to talk about being loyal to TFC and his players. Is this not the guy who was constantly crticizing and throwing his players under the bus after each game? Loyalty???

Are you purely incapable of posting without lying, Giambac? Last week it was my fictiional "second place prediction" (disproven with a direct link to the prediction thread) and this week it's that he was "throwing his players under the bus after each game."

One of the reasons you never win an argument on this board isn't just that you're excessively stupid, it's that you insist on being disingenuous. You don't have to lie to make a point; he called guys out a couple of times - very common for any European manager, even in your beloved Serie A - and you're using it to contine your negative bullshit.

Sad.

anto7
02-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Are you purely incapable of posting without lying, Giambac? Last week it was my fictiional "second place prediction" (disproven with a direct link to the prediction thread) and this week it's that he was "throwing his players under the bus after each game."

One of the reasons you never win an argument on this board isn't just that you're excessively stupid, it's that you insist on being disingenuous. You don't have to lie to make a point; he called guys out a couple of times - very common for any European manager, even in your beloved Serie A - and you're using it to contine your negative bullshit.

Sad.
Very well put JLoome, as usual.
I really do not see any problem with the way JC called out his players on a couple of occasions. The only times I remember specifically was for the Velez "red card" incident and Cunningham's miss against Montreal. As far as I am concerned both players deserved what they got, Velez for letting the team down as captain and Cunny for a complete lack of effort.
I seem to remember a few weeks ago Harry Redknap ripping into Darren Bent for missing a sitter for Spurs. I think Harry said that even his wife would have scored !
I did not hear anyone from the media or any Spurs fans complaining about what he said.
These guys are professionals who got paid pretty well and if they are not doing there job properly they need to be accountable.
I also believe that JC knows how to bring out the best in his players and treats people differntly based on their personalities.

TFC 420
02-20-2009, 08:00 PM
does anyone have a link to the podcast of Nigel's show from last night?

Brooker
02-21-2009, 03:44 AM
Johnny Carvers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Oliphant
02-21-2009, 05:04 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2894622115_6b0a0e5a1d.jpg?v=0

==

http://pmdatabook.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/tom-selleck-magnum-pi-c10102602.jpg

Pachuco
02-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Not to nitpick, but we were last in the east, 12th out of 14 teams overall, and you didn't say anything about my real point :)...

...which is that Carver had a very mixed year - he made decisions that probably threw away points last year

I completely agree with you. I'm a little more extreme though, I don't believe Carver deserves to remain here. Maybe he'll prove me wrong this year, let's hope he does. On top of everything you said in your previous post, I believe Carver lacks vision, lacks the ability to make players respond to him and worst of all, gives the team no identity. I never saw a cohesive strategy last year.

To prove that it's got nothing to do with losing, I'll tell you that I think Ron Wilson and the Leafs are a good team to watch this year. Although they lose games all the time, they atleast play with a strategy and the team has an identity.

Now I'll bring up up Sam Mitchell, I wanted the guy fired even when he won coach of the year. The only reason he was succesfull was because of his team (that was quite obvious). I wish people listened back then since it was obvious to me he would never lead the team past the 1st round of the playoffs.

This may come back to bite me in the ass, but I don't see Carver ever leading us past the 1st round of the playoffs.

Pachuco
02-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Sad.

He threw players under the bus last year. That is no lie. Just because you disagree doesn't make Giambac a lier.

S_D
02-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I wasn't too impressed with Carver either but realize that he didn't have the tools he needed (forwards and depth due to call ups).

Mo addressed the forwards problem and once the CB situation is hopefully resolved, we will see what Carver can do with a decent team. I am not sure 10 points will be enough to get us into the playoffs this season, I guess it depends on how the two latest expansion franchises do. If they tank, more points will be needed but if they surprise us all and do well, the 10 points may be enough.