PDA

View Full Version : Today's News,Thursday, Feb.19

denime
02-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Mornin'

TFC to play four games in Fla.
Reds continue preseason in Sunrise next week

Toronto FC will continue preseason preparations in Florida starting Saturday, February 21st. The Reds are currently training at BMO Field after spending last week in Bradenton. Four games have been scheduled for next week. TFC will start the week by facing Florida Atlantic University on Saturday and will also take on Swedish Premier Division side Hacken. The week will end with an intrasquad scrimmage.

Read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090218&content_id=218381&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Dwayne De Rosario’s Ultimate XI
By Dwayne De Rosario (http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/author/dwayne-de-rosario/)

Dwayne De Rosario has played on four Major League Soccer championship teams and has been a league all-star three times since joining the league in 2001. After successful stints in San Jose and Houston, De Rosario is back in his native Ontario, playing his first season for Toronto F.C. He won back-to-back goal of the year award in M.L.S. (2004 and 2005), so perhaps it should not be a surprise that De Rosario went with a tantalizing, offensive-oriented Ultimate XI.

Read more (http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/dwayne-de-rosarios-ultimate-xi/)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)
vs
COED (http://coedmagazine.com/category/girls/daily-snapshot-girls-2/)

Mark in Ottawa
02-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Mornin D.
You had me panicking there for a while... needed my TFC news fix... better now :thumbsup:

Shaughno
02-19-2009, 08:25 AM

That's a pretty tight Ultimate XI if I do say so myself.

scooter
02-19-2009, 08:35 AM
mornin d

ssg vs coed --tough call today

Jmonkey
02-19-2009, 08:39 AM
MOrnin D, Looking good...

CretanBull
02-19-2009, 08:41 AM

That's a pretty tight Ultimate XI if I do say so myself.

Pretty good selections, personally I'd put Johan Cruyff ahead of Gullit and I'd put a steaming bag of shit ahead of Maradona.

Shaughno
02-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Pretty good selections, personally I'd put Johan Cruyff ahead of Gullit and I'd put a steaming bag of shit ahead of Maradona.

Good call on Cruyff, but Gullit was a hell of a player as well. As much as I hate the man that is Maradona, as a player you can't leave him out.

Stouffville_RPB
02-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Morning.

Are we really doing SSG vs. Co-ed? Even on the SSG's best days it's tough to compete with Co-ed. The Sun only has the GTA to pick from, Co-ed has the entire world. I'm not complainning two picks are better than one, just saying if it's a competition SSG doesn't stand a chance.

CretanBull
02-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Make it a 3-way with the Page 3 girl....meet Danni from Coventry: (NSFW)

http://www.page3.com/index4.shtml#main-image

tlear
02-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Nice ultimate 11, I think Romario does not belong there though. Gerd Muller just HAS to be there so Pele, Muller, Van Basten.

BFin
02-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Gotta love the big rump on the SSG. Face is cute enough, butt is big enough. I'd hit it.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-19-2009, 10:52 AM

Agreed! Maradona can fall off the face of the earth for all i care....

Plus i think the steaming bag of shit has a greater IQ then he does..

Oldtimer
02-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Montreal's 45,000 tickets sold for their CL match vs. 7,000 sold by Houston sends a message to Garber and his MLS.

Article (in French): http://www.ruefrontenac.com/sports/38-soccer/963-soccer-impact

Pigfynn
02-19-2009, 11:14 AM
it is one thing to sell 45,000 tickets to a one off, playoff style match where you have months to prepare and arrange all the little soccer club kiddies to go. It's another thing entirely to sell 20,000 tickets every week.

Too much emphasis is being put on this game on this board. I wonder if you went on a Man U board you'd hear so much about a Liverpool game.

Stouffville_RPB
02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
it is one thing to sell 45,000 tickets to a one off, playoff style match where you have months to prepare and arrange all the little soccer club kiddies to go. It's another thing entirely to sell 20,000 tickets every week.

Too much emphasis is being put on this game on this board. I wonder if you went on a Man U board you'd hear so much about a Liverpool game.

I don't think it's too much. 90% of people on here wanted Montreal to get their bid as our rival. I know where you're coming from but it's that passion that we feel in the Toronto vs. Montreal that keeps us talking about it.

TorontoBlades
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
You can definately get a feel for the type of football DeRo enjoys...

Toronto Ruffrider
02-19-2009, 12:04 PM

True, but you have to wonder what's going on in Houston. That team has had months to sell tickets, so the fact that only 7,000 seats are accounted for is embarrassing. Maybe we are reading too much into these CCL matches, but this competition should be prestigious enough to warrant big crowds in established MLS markets.

gmacpheetfc
02-19-2009, 12:06 PM
^Thats america though they think they're better than everyone else so they're no going to give a hoot about some international event where as they must greater prestige on a domestic cup or event hence all the anti Canada MLS expansion

ben_vw
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Some TFC and MLS news...

http://www.tfcconnected.com/2009/02/training-notes-february-19-2009.html

Mark in Ottawa
02-19-2009, 12:07 PM

QFT. I wonder how many of these tickets Saputo et al are "buying" and giving away cheap seats to drive the numbers up?

Toronto Ruffrider
02-19-2009, 12:15 PM
^Thats america though they think they're better than everyone else so they're no going to give a hoot about some international event where as they must greater prestige on a domestic cup or event hence all the anti Canada MLS expansion

Trust me, there isn't any more interest for the US Open Cup than for the CCL. The crowd numbers for the former competition are almost always lousy, even for the final match. A reported attendance of 7,000 would be pretty decent for a cup match in the 'States.

drewski
02-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Trust me, there isn't any more interest for the US Open Cup than for the CCL. The crowd numbers for the former competition are almost always lousy, even for the final match. A reported attendance of 7,000 would be pretty decent for a cup match in the 'States.

well, they did draw over 14k last year for the Champions Cup 1/4final

if you look at the group stage, they drew less then 9k for another mexican team but drew over 14k for a team from El Salvador and only 4k for a Panamanian team.

TorCanSoc
02-19-2009, 06:34 PM
The Hartrells must hate Toronto. Financially support the Lynx for a decade. Watch MLS come in and just set the GTA soccer community on fire. Now watching Montreal draw 45K as a USL1 (formerly A-League) team. Crazy. Really feel for the guy.

As far as supporting Montreal. I fully support them, and am proud of their achievements.

James17930
02-19-2009, 06:50 PM
QFT. I wonder how many of these tickets Saputo et al are "buying" and giving away cheap seats to drive the numbers up?

Why does everyone keep saying that? Is there any kind of proof for this accusation at all?

Pigfynn
02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
As far as supporting Montreal. I fully support them, and am proud of their achievements.

Here you go then:

http://www.ultrasmontreal.com/

rocker
02-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Why does everyone keep saying that?

cuz it's fun to criticize our enemies.

dag
02-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Article in the New York Times about Beckham's wish to leave the MLS

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/sports/soccer/19beckham.html?_r=1&ref=sports

jloome
02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
The Hartrells must hate Toronto. Financially support the Lynx for a decade. Watch MLS come in and just set the GTA soccer community on fire. Now watching Montreal draw 45K as a USL1 (formerly A-League) team. Crazy. Really feel for the guy.

Fuck them. They're rivals and this is football. That's like a Celtic fan cheering Rangers for cryin' out loud.

I hope they get embarassed (although they play a direct style and have a chance to go deep.)

Redcoe15
02-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Fuck them. They're rivals and this is football. That's like a Celtic fan cheering Rangers for cryin' out loud.

I hope they get embarassed (although they play a direct style and have a chance to go deep.)
There's over a hundred years of animosity built up between these two football factions. There's still a ways to go between Toronto and Montreal, soccer wise.

Besides, didn't Mo break down those barriers in his playing career, all I'm sayin'. ;)

joesoccerfan
02-19-2009, 09:29 PM

The Hartrells were committed and I commend them for that. However, they were small potatoes when it came to actually promoting pro soccer. Saputo has done way more to promote the game in Montreal.

Its too bad, because it would have been nice to see the Lynx stick around as a USL team in the GTA - maybe Hamilton or Waterloo.

SoccMan
02-19-2009, 11:24 PM
I guess some people still can't get over the hand of God goal Maradona scored against England. However, right after that goal in the same game he scored one of the greatest goals ever scored in the World Cup when he took the ball from center and went through most of the English defense to score a second goal. I remember watching him play almost every Sunday when he played in the Italian league for Napoli where he was one of the main reasons Napoli won a couple of Italian league championships. Maradona hands down with Pele and George Best a close second as the greatest soccer players to have played the game.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-20-2009, 12:08 AM
De Rosario's XI is great...

I'd sub Van Basten out for Baggio though. ;)

Suljazz
02-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Maradona in any ultimate XI.... well, pre-coke and flying drop kicks

Suljazz
02-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Well... Maradona in my coke and drop kicks ultimate XI also

Dirk Diggler
02-20-2009, 01:01 AM

Yes, because TFC and Impact are completely comparable to Rangers and Celtic :rolleyes:

Ossington Mental Youth
02-20-2009, 01:38 AM
No but rivals are rivals

CretanBull
02-20-2009, 01:47 AM
I think a lot of us (who are involved in the community of footy supporters) need to be reminded of where football ranks in terms of popularity & status in our country. I think we tend to think that it's bigger than it actually is because we're surrounded by like minded people. IMO, we (Canadians) can't afford to see any type of failures and success for any team is good for growing the sport - which at this point has to be seen as the most important thing.

I'll always hate the impact, but at this point what's good for them is good for all of us...and the higher up they rise, the further down they'll fall when we kick their ass!