PDA

View Full Version : Huckerby article

MG42
05-26-2008, 11:45 AM
City legend Keelan backs Hucks to be a smash hit across the Pond. Now to find a club...

Mon 26 May 08

Canary goalkeeping legend Kevin keelan is convinced that departing Canary hero Darren Huckerby will be a smash hit in Major League Soccer - should the 32-year-old's much-discussed move Stateside finally go through this summer.

For now it has all been talk. Of San Jose Earthquake having the second bite of the cherry, if reports of Huckerby linking up with ex-City team-mates Carl Robinson and Jim Brennan at Toronto FC fail to materialise.

The player himself warned that it was not simply a case of saying: 'Here I am, come and get me...'; that there might be a hundred and one hoops he needs to leap through before he arrives in Canada or beyond. Toronto head coach John Carver has also thrown their name into the hat for long-time Canary strike target Shola Ameobi, so nothing will be done until its done.

However, Keelan - a long-time resident of Florida after playing spells with both the New England Tea Men and the Tampa Bay Rowdies is certain that the growing number of MLS fans will lap up Huckerby's unique style. He is, said the 67-year-old, just their kind of guy.

"He is - he really is," said Keelan, now officially the Canaries' 'Greatest Ever' goalkeeper following a recent poll among the Carrow Road fans.

A poll that, of course, put Keelan in the same 'Greatest Ever' team as Huckerby. The two would certainly keep the punters entertained - as, of course, does one of Huckerby's prospective MLS colleagues, David Beckham now of LA Galaxy fame.

"I don't know whether he could command the same salary that Beckham does, but I think he will do well there," said Keelan, who made 673 appearances for the Norfolk club in the course of his 17-year City career.

"It'll be a good move for him - a good financial move for him. But I think he can still play here," said Keelan, suggesting that an Indian summer in the MLS may still be a season or two away. Not everyone, of course, agrees. And with Huckerby himself insisting that he never wants to return to Carrow Road in an opposition shirt, so his options are fairly limited. Scotland or the States would be the general thinking

READ MORE
http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/full_article.asp?i=3498&w=25&a=0&part=1

Oldtimer
05-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Good find.