PDA

View Full Version : International Friendly?

gmacpheetfc
02-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Does anyone have any idea of who the international friendly is going to be against Seattle is set to battle the blues in July think maybe they'd stop to take on TFC?

http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles/2009/02-February/Chelsea-Announcement.aspx

RedWookie
02-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Not too sure on that but I would really love to see some EPL teams come here and train with our boys

StandUpIfYouHateChelsea
02-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Not too sure on that but I would really love to see some EPL teams come here and train with our boys

id love to see a TOP drawer team i mean , last year was 2nd rate independiente .... but i WANTED BOCA!!!!! or at leaast RIVER fackkkk and i want to see some starters , otherwise those games just blow! lets see some spanish (DEPORTIVOOOOOOO) or maybe some ita- no wait i dont want to see that italian shit! and as for Chelsea? BRING EM HEERE ITLL BE A WHOLE LOT OF STANDDDDDDDDD UP , if YOUUUU HATE CHELSEAAAAAAA STAND UPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hump: :hump:

Nomad
02-18-2009, 12:21 AM
The Independiente game was actually one of the better matches of the year. I thoroughly enjoyed myself as did those around me.

Bender
02-18-2009, 12:33 AM
CHELSEA WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! Gonna kick some sounders ass!!

NateDoGG
02-18-2009, 01:51 AM
i love how they got chelsea...... atleast we got to play aston villa, thats a pretty big club...

Ossington Mental Youth
02-18-2009, 02:07 AM
meh, whatever against big teams, most of the time you end up playing the reserves.
Id rather play first team teams that ive never seen before or even never heard of (within certain respects, im not talking 4th division Trans Dneister here, im talking top Argie/Brazilian teams etc)

Ossington Mental Youth
02-18-2009, 02:07 AM
also id prefer to see the friendlies at the start or end of the season, not smack dab in the middle so we have to deal with 8 games in one month

Don Julio
02-18-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm sure Villa would admit that the friendly here was the turning point for them - the sling shot that took them top 4 and to the Champions League. And by that logic there's only one set of Blues I want to see at BMO this summer, and they've got Robinho.

twistedchinaman
02-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Sunderland!

akoto
02-18-2009, 08:52 AM
If BMO was bigger we could attract teams like Chelsea. Top flight teams cost a lot of money and we just can't recoup that kind of money with a 20,000 seat stadium.

boban
02-18-2009, 10:34 AM
If BMO was bigger we could attract teams like Chelsea. Top flight teams cost a lot of money and we just can't recoup that kind of money with a 20,000 seat stadium.
The loss coming out your pocket?

GabrielHurl
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM

it's either that or pay $250 a ticket - and that's the low end

JonO
02-18-2009, 10:38 AM
The loss coming out your pocket?Please name one club that would play a friendly, knowing full well that it would lose money?

Whoop
02-18-2009, 10:42 AM
So if TFC were to attract a "big" club, what would it accomplish?

loconet
02-18-2009, 11:15 AM
So if TFC were to attract a "big" club, what would it accomplish?

Good question. One advantage I guess would be that those fourth-generation-i-still-support-my-"home"-club Canadians would come to BMO and see TFC and realize that it isn't all that bad. More local *real* exposure for the team? Is it worth the extra $? .. hmm.

Beach_Red
02-18-2009, 11:19 AM

Imagine using that word in a boardroom these days...

Don Julio
02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
The only way to make a big club possible would be to not include the friendly in the season ticket package.

Mikey
02-18-2009, 12:12 PM
The only way to make a big club possible would be to not include the friendly in the season ticket package.

Big risk for MLSE to do that though.

1. would be seen as a blatant attempt to gouge the fan base for cash
2. god forbid, one of our first 11 gets injured and it screws our season, they would have to put up with all kinds of dog shit in the mail packages for pimping out TFC and potentially screwing us out off the playoffs.

not entirely sure they would take the risk for a very short term cash spike, followed by potential long term backlash....

LucaGol
02-18-2009, 12:35 PM
How about no friendlies.

We had a major fixture pileup last July because of two useless friendlies against Independiente and Pachuca.

If we're going to have friendlies, at least lets have them in pre-season.

drewski
02-18-2009, 12:45 PM
If we're going to have friendlies, at least lets have them in pre-season.

well that would rule out the Euro teams

ExiledRed
02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
well that would rule out the Euro teams

Too bad.

The euro teams don't risk their domestic competitions to play exhibition games, why should we?

drewski
02-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Too bad.

The euro teams don't risk their domestic competitions to play exhibition games, why should we?

good point.

wanting euro teams to come play is merely personal preference as thats the other football I follow

Suds
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Too bad.

Because unlike them, who have already built their brand and have football as the number one sport in Europe, we in North America are still building.

When the big clubs travel to North America or other parts of the world it has very little to do with gate receipts. They are building their brand to sell more shirts and PPV buys.

boban
02-18-2009, 01:58 PM
it's either that or pay $250 a ticket - and that's the low end
Well then at that point its not a loss now is it.

boban
02-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Please name one club that would play a friendly, knowing full well that it would lose money?
Who says they would lose money? Or at least any significant amount?

nfitz
02-18-2009, 02:05 PM
How about no friendlies.

We had a major fixture pileup last July because of two useless friendlies against Independiente and Pachuca.Well major last year in the MLS sense, where 2 games a week is 1 too many. USL teams seemed to manage okay playing 3 times a week during the Champions League last fall.

However, this year we have some good-sized holes in the schedule. In particular in the 2 weeks from June 27th to July 11th. If the reports that the Canadian Championship will be finished in June, and that there will be no Gold Cup play in Toronto are true, then a Canada Day or July 4 friendly in Montreal would fit in just perfectly.

There's also 2½ weeks from June 6th to June 24th - though hopefully there will be a couple of Canadian Championship games in there.

Toronto_Bhoy
02-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm not big on friendlies however I must admit, I think the game against Villa was one of the best games I've seen at BMO.

ExiledRed
02-18-2009, 02:17 PM
Please name one club that would play a friendly, knowing full well that it would lose money?

Liverpool

They do it against Wrexham every year.

JonO
02-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Liverpool

They do it against Wrexham every year.
Liverpool lose money?

ExiledRed
02-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Liverpool lose money?

Shocking isnt it?

They surrender their gate receipts from that game, in order to help out Wrexham. I'm not sure but it's possible they do the same for Crewe.

AL-MO
02-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Shocking isnt it?

They surrender their gate receipts from that game, in order to help out Wrexham. I'm not sure but it's possible they do the same for Crewe.

Could you explain this a bit further Exiled? Who is Wrexham?

JonO
02-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Shocking isnt it?

So they're not out of pocket, which was more my gist. It's more like they choose to donate money to help a poorer club...

akoto
02-18-2009, 03:04 PM

Lets be realistic.

International Friendly (1)

$176 $140 $110 $70 $50 $46

They can't make a profit charging these prices to get Chelsea or Man United or Juve or any top 15 team in the world. We would only have about 2000 seats to sell to non STH and the tickets would have to be higher then what we paid to cover the expense.

Bobo
02-18-2009, 03:20 PM

We did already.

id love to see a TOP drawer team i mean , last year was 2nd rate independiente .... but i WANTED BOCA!!!!! or at leaast RIVER fackkkk and i want to see some starters , otherwise those games just blow! lets see some spanish (DEPORTIVOOOOOOO) or maybe some ita- no wait i dont want to see that italian shit! and as for Chelsea? BRING EM HEERE ITLL BE A WHOLE LOT OF STANDDDDDDDDD UP , if YOUUUU HATE CHELSEAAAAAAA STAND UPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hump: :hump:

But sit down if you're ignorant.

meh, whatever against big teams, most of the time you end up playing the reserves.
Id rather play first team teams that ive never seen before or even never heard of (within certain respects, im not talking 4th division Trans Dneister here, im talking top Argie/Brazilian teams etc)

We get reserves whoever we play lol might as well be a big club. We don't even play our first team. And why would we?

GuelphStorm2007
02-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Realisticaly I can see

RIVER PLATE OR PALMERIAS
Fiorentina
UNAM