PDA

View Full Version : 42K tickets sold for Impact v. Santos Laguna, Feb.25

LucaGol
02-16-2009, 03:55 PM
http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1065&Focus=0

That's a hell of a lot of ppl for a USL team in a first year tournament. Not to mention they are breaking the all time record for a CONCACAF game between club teams.

Oh and its 42K and counting ....

If TFC was in this stage of the competition, I wonder if we would be able to fill the Skydome?

Oh ya and f*ck the Impact. There, now my post is complete. :rolleyes:

rocker
02-16-2009, 03:58 PM
good, biggest turnout ever for a Limp Act loss!

i wonder if any of these people will buy regular season tickets or are they just like the people who buy tickets to Beckham games and never return?

S_D
02-16-2009, 05:02 PM
As a TFC fan... bitterness

As a Canadian soccer fan I applaud the support the city is showing, and hope to see the Impact win in front of their home fans.

What I am more hopeful of is if the Impact can do well, what will the impact be on local soccer teams. When a Quebecer wins and does well, usually local participation in the port swells as does the quality of the players.

Before Gill won the silver in the Olympics for Judo, it was almost non existent, now there are tons of Judo clubs there and they are producing top quality fighters, MMA clubs are sprouting up all over the place due to the success of GSP.

This bodes well for Canadian footie.

Beach_Red
02-16-2009, 05:06 PM
This bodes well for Canadian footie.

It really does. I remember when Quebec had a football revival in the 80's. CEGEPs started playing and then Universite de Laval started winning Vanier Cups.

There's no reason soccer couldn't become huge in Quebec.

S_D
02-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Same with Bishops in the early 90's. My wife went to a CEGEP that was affiliated with Bishops, and their teams fed Bishops with some quality. They sunk money into coaching and recruitment, and worked with the Bishops coaching staff to ensure their was continuity.

What will be interesting to watch is if we see them start sinking money into soccer. It will certainly give the players at the age of 16-18 a place to play and a chance to hone their skills. For it to work though there will have to be a commitment at both the CEGEP and University/College level.

Oldtimer
02-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Amazing news!!!!

(BTW, I posted it in the news thread on Friday) ;)

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9812

Oh wait!! It appeared on MLS Rumors today! That explains it!

Blizzard
02-16-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.montrealimpact.com/News/News.aspx?language=EN&ArticleID=1065&Focus=0

That's a hell of a lot of ppl for a USL team in a first year tournament. Not to mention they are breaking the all time record for a CONCACAF game between club teams.

Oh and its 42K and counting ....

If TFC was in this stage of the competition, I wonder if we would be able to fill the Skydome?

Oh ya and f*ck the Impact. There, now my post is complete. :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see (and hear) just how many of the 42k plus that are Montreal supporters as opposed to Mexican fans making the trip up from the USA.

Broadview
02-16-2009, 05:47 PM
MLSRumors is saying stuff about Montreal again. But I'll not make it easy and provide a link to that scum. If you really wanna know, you gotta dig.

Beach_Red
02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Same with Bishops in the early 90's. My wife went to a CEGEP that was affiliated with Bishops, and their teams fed Bishops with some quality. They sunk money into coaching and recruitment, and worked with the Bishops coaching staff to ensure their was continuity.

What will be interesting to watch is if we see them start sinking money into soccer. It will certainly give the players at the age of 16-18 a place to play and a chance to hone their skills. For it to work though there will have to be a commitment at both the CEGEP and University/College level.

Yes, it will take some committment, but the precedent is there with football and it could be easily copied for soccer. I don't have the stats, but my guess is Quebec is like the rest of North America and youth soccer now has the highest number of kids signed up so it'll just be a matter of keeping them in the game.

GuelphStorm2007
02-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Good for Montreal. I hope they go as far as possible.