PDA

View Full Version : Report: Galaxy Accept Milan Offer!!

TFCREDNWHITE
02-16-2009, 11:08 AM
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/86/italy/2009/02/16/1112351/report-galaxy-accept-milans-offer-for-becks

Galaxy Accept Milan's Offer For Becks
According to SkySport24, the lawyers of David Beckham and LA Galaxy have found an agreement on the terms for the termination of his American contract. Now it's up to Milan to make a deal with the player.

see link for more....

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
I will wait for something more official - Goal.com is notorious for compiling and posting rumours as though they were truth.

Don't know how many stories I read there last summer, stating that Kaka to Chelsea was a "done deal", or that Sammy Eto'o asked to be transferred to some little league in Indonesia for a ridiculous sum of money, or that Fabregas had formally asked Arsenal to transfer him to Barcelona/Real Madrid/Internazionale.

- Scott

Lucky Strike
02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Hmm... We should all play "guess the transfer fee". I'll go with 8.5m USD (or 5.95m GBP).

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Hmm... We should all play "guess the transfer fee". I'll go with 8.5m USD (or 5.95m GBP).

My guess is it's around their asking price of $20 million - again, assuming this is actually true.

- Scott

jrey
02-16-2009, 11:14 AM
hm. a little unexpected given all the news recently. well, not like he was going to play in Toronto anyway.

I guess 10 million Euros for the transfer fee.

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2009, 11:16 AM
The other thing, if this is true: I wonder how Galaxy STH's will respond, given the press release they put out last Friday, saying they owed it to them not to drag this out any longer.

I also wonder if Garber will allow it, given his declaration that he would refuse to sign off on any transfer after Friday's deadline.

- Scott

Nuvinho
02-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Skysports says that AC Milan reps will travel to LA to work out a deal the end of this week.......so in their words:

A conclusion on Beckham's future is unlikely to be reached in the next few days.

I will wait for something official. This reminds me of another saga that recently happened in Canada.........Mats Sundin.......hahaha!!!

LucaGol
02-16-2009, 11:20 AM
This is probably the best arrangement for both parties.

Well, not really for Milan. It's kind of knee jerk buy for a player who only played well in about 3 games.

Pachuco
02-16-2009, 12:29 PM
This is probably the best arrangement for both parties.

Well, not really for Milan. It's kind of knee jerk buy for a player who only played well in about 3 games.

I gotta say Beckham didn't look very good yesterday. Milan started to attack with alot more purpose once he was taken off. Having said that, he's been good in other games I've watched him with Milan.

I do think Beckham is taking a chance by staying in Milan though. With Gattuso, Flamini and Kaka healthy, he could fall out of favor. If he starts getting benched in Milan, he may see Real Madrid all over again. If that happens, he won't be getting called up to the national team.

Marco2K
02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Who gives a fuck.

I would rather the Galaxy go out and sign another big name instead!

BuSaPuNk
As long as this soap opera doesn't keep dragging on it's good for the leauge. I think the transfer fee was probably around $15 mil.

MartinUtd
^^how funny would that be.

As for the transfer itself: SHOW ME THE MONEY!!

*edit - I was trying to point to Pachuco's comment about re: Real Madrid

dag
02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
How is it that professional athletes unhappy with the contract that they freely agreed to can unilaterally demand that it be renegotiated to their current whims? It disgusts me.

Razcle
02-16-2009, 12:46 PM
All I have to say is I never got a chance to See Beckham Live in TO because he is a douche and cannot keep himself healthy enough to play against the Big Red Machine. I hope they transfer his ass to Milan before he injures himself again and is worth nothing to the black and red azzuri. The leagues needs new faces to come in, and not players that are only here for the paycheque.

Roogsy
02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I saw him at the ASG...that was it.

2 years in MLS...Toronto fans only got to see a friendly.

I laugh at all those Toronto Beckham fans that got an LA jersey with his name on it.

james
02-16-2009, 01:36 PM
The other thing, if this is true: I wonder how Galaxy STH's will respond, given the press release they put out last Friday, saying they owed it to them not to drag this out any longer.

I also wonder if Garber will allow it, given his declaration that he would refuse to sign off on any transfer after Friday's deadline.

- Scott

i saw in the news that Garber saying they had till friday due date for Milan to sign Beckham or else he stays with LA Galaxy was just a negotiation tactic that many teams use to make nagotiaons move faster rather then making them drag on. But most likely they have till March 5th to make a deal. Garber saying that was just a tactic, he doesn't really mean it.

james
02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
if i was a AC Milan fan i would not want them to sign Beckham. I dont think he is worth the money LA Galaxy is asking for. I dont think he would help make the team better on the field and hes not got much years left. All he is, is a poster boy teams use to sell merchandise and get media coverage, thats it. There is so many better players out there they could sign for alot less money!

Blizzard
02-16-2009, 01:58 PM
I gotta say Beckham didn't look very good yesterday. Milan started to attack with alot more purpose once he was taken off. Having said that, he's been good in other games I've watched him with Milan.

I do think Beckham is taking a chance by staying in Milan though. With Gattuso, Flamini and Kaka healthy, he could fall out of favor. If he starts getting benched in Milan, he may see Real Madrid all over again. If that happens, he won't be getting called up to the national team.

He injured his hamstring playing for England and that may have had an effect. He was pulled in the 55th when he re injured the hamstring.

Nuvinho
02-16-2009, 01:59 PM
^^ MLS was smart to try to get this done as soon as possible, as Beckham seems to always get hurt.

Yeoman
02-16-2009, 02:03 PM
how come i'm not seeing a thing on european news about this?
not a thing and i've been watching the news for the last two hours?
not even a hint of a rumour that this has occured, and trust me they're following this stupidity religiously all over europe as well.

Nuvinho
02-16-2009, 02:12 PM
how come i'm not seeing a thing on european news about this?
not a thing and i've been watching the news for the last two hours?
not even a hint of a rumour that this has occured, and trust me they're following this stupidity religiously all over europe as well.

I don't think it has happened yet. I think Milan and Beckham have agreed on a contract. Now Milan officials will go to LA to hammer out a transfer deal.

Once it hits Sky Sports, i'll be convinced.

Baggio2TFC
02-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I think this is best for MLS. probably 10 mil Euro's or so...in these economic times...I'll take it.

I like the idea of LA bringing in someone fresh anyways. Even if he is 30+, I think it is better to get someone new to show MLS can bring in more then just becks. He had a nice run, but it is time to go.

I would think this would also help other teams (like TFC) to bring in some stars.

joel
02-16-2009, 02:48 PM
The by-line doesn't match the headline or body. Skysports24 says beckham's lawyers have an agreement under which the MLS contract could be terminated, and Milan just has to make the right offer. In the body they say skysports says milan and LA has reached an agreement for transfer, which does not seem to be the case, I would believe the beckham's lawyers and MLS thing, but the bottom line is that if Milan can't make the offer MLS wants he's not going.

jaahuuu
02-16-2009, 03:25 PM
How is it that professional athletes unhappy with the contract that they freely agreed to can unilaterally demand that it be renegotiated to their current whims? It disgusts me.
I agree, its shitty, but what can the team do? If they don't give in they will have an unmotivated, poorly performing player. The team can't force a guy to play better.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 12:46 AM
I love this quote from Becky.

"I'm still committed as an ambassador, but for the moment I want to play my football here.''

:rolleyes:

In other words...I want to keep the ability to market myself in the US, but I don't want to actually BE in the US.

I hope the Americans turn their backs on him. This whole issue is a complete 180 from his position when he signed with the Gals. Everybody in the world told him he'd be playing with sub-par players and he didn't listen, and now he is essentially giving MLS a black eye on the way out. I dunno if that is compensated by the fact that he did do good promotion for the league while he was here, but at the very least, it mitigates any good he did.

Bender
02-17-2009, 06:22 AM
who??!?

Wagner
02-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Dear Soccer Spice,
Good Riddance.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
You did bring some eyes to MLS, but it was mostly soccer moms that wanted to forget about their ugly husbands(mainly columbus).
There really wasn't anything more you could do. So please step aside, and allow the truly successful model in the mls take over. (See: Toronto FC)

Lucky Strike
02-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Dear Soccer Spice,
Good Riddance.
Don't let the door hit you n the way out.
You did bring some eyes to MLS, but it was mostly soccer moms that wanted to forget about their ugly husbands(mainly columbus).
There really wasn't anything more you could do. So please step aside, and allow the truly successful model in the mls take over. (See: Toronto FC)

I believe the proper term is "wanker spice". :D

T_Mizz
02-17-2009, 11:03 AM
So is this for sure? like 100%

MUFC_Niagara
02-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all you did for the league Becks, good luck with AC Milan!

Steve
02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
So is this for sure? like 100%

No, only coming from one source, nothing out of MLS yet, so I'd so definitely not 100%.

jabbronies
02-17-2009, 11:25 AM
I love how they end the article by saying:

In more good news, the injury suffered by the England international in last night's derby defeat to Inter is not serious, and he is expected to play against Werder Bremen in the UEFA Cup in midweek.

So not only is it good news that Beckham's injury isn't serious, but it's also good news that he's leaving the MLS for a real league!!

TFCREDNWHITE
02-17-2009, 11:32 AM
No, only coming from one source, nothing out of MLS yet, so I'd so definitely not 100%.

Well Skysports24 is reporting that it has been accepted...

Steve
02-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Which would be the one source. Goal.com is just reporting on what skysports24 is reporting. Maybe ACM actually ponied up the cash and LAG and MLS are just waiting for pen to be put to paper before announcing it. On the other hand, maybe ACM is just posturing, saying that a deal has "essentially" been reached because they can't imagine anyone thwarting their (And Beckham's) will. At this point, I think both scenarios are equally likely.

jloome
02-17-2009, 06:01 PM

If you see it on the BBC, give a damn. Otherwise, don't. It's a public broadcaster, and its accuracy demands are much higher. Skysports is wrong every day about something, and frequently more than once a day on transfer rumours.

I think it'll be hilarious if MLS tells them to go fuck themselves, a deadline's a deadline. Everyone has a price, so I don't expect it, but it'll be hilarious nonetheless.

As for this "talks aren't done" stuff, it just reeks of Milan and Beckham trying to keep it going. You notice how Garber and Liewicke have said nothing to go back on the "they missed the deadline" crap.

I predict he'll go, but it won't be without ponying up the $22M or so that MLS originally valued him at.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Goal.com are like most irresponsible news sources these days, print anything regardless of whether or not it has a basis in fact. This could be a rumour from a message board, for all we know.

Remember all the stories going round during the Kaka transfer saga? Absolutely wild.

Brooker
02-18-2009, 02:19 AM
LA Galaxy fans if you have an ounce of self respect burn your Beckham jerseys in a public display on opening night.

whether he's gone or not.

if he isnt, boo him every time he touches the ball. it's not like your actually gonna win anything next season, anyways.

Bobo
02-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Milan supposedly won't up their 3m bid. So they may make a compromise and keep him until the Serie A season is over.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/feb21g.html

And guess where his first game back would be?:D Another warm welcome for him.

flatpicker
02-21-2009, 10:17 AM
he will stay in Serie A until May 31 and then return to America for Galaxy's game with Toronto on June 6.

hahahaaaa... now that would be fun!!!!

Cambridge_Red
02-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Wow my opinion of Beckham as a professional has changed considerably. Sucky baby has got what he wanted. I will laugh my ass off when hes sitting on the bench in South Africa. P.S. England have a game very close to the TFC V LA match don't count on him being here.

Sat. 6 8:00 ET Kazakhstan (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=2619) v England (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team?id=448)Ortalyk Tsentralnyi StadiumWorld Cup Qualifying - UEFA

So thats nearly half of the season...

bignickel
02-21-2009, 10:49 AM
I love how they end the article by saying:

In more good news, the injury suffered by the England international in last night's derby defeat to Inter is not serious, and he is expected to play against Werder Bremen in the UEFA Cup in midweek.

So not only is it good news that Beckham's injury isn't serious, but it's also good news that he's leaving the MLS for a real league!!

true enough, i mean it has everything you want in a real league, especially all your top teams being so powerful and corrupt that they all lose points at the same time for match-fixing(even relegated). now that's a REAL luxury tax!

Stryker
02-21-2009, 10:50 AM
So Becks gets what he wants, Milan get what they want.
Whats in it for the Galaxy?

bignickel
02-21-2009, 10:56 AM

i think they get pato in exchange!

Stryker
02-21-2009, 11:01 AM
i think they get pato in exchange!
Yeah that'll be the day.

Cambridge_Red
02-21-2009, 11:08 AM

Nothing other than the returns they've got off him in the past two seasons for merchandise etc. Beckham was more important to them as a piece of merchandise rather than his on field exploits. To be fair I think they have got a fairly decent return on him. I just think hes a bit of an ass for not honoring his contract and thinking that hes got a shot with the National squad in his mid 30's :rolleyes:

flatpicker
02-21-2009, 11:14 AM
^ to be fair to Becky... if I had the chance to be in the starting lineup of Milan instead of LA... I think I would be choosing Milan!

But yes... the whole "honouring your contract" kinda goes out the window.
But look at it this way...
Beckham returns to play the last half of the season... and they can build off the hype of this guy coming over from one of the world's top teams.
That could be a selling point.
And imagine if Milan win a trophy. Beckham would be coming back to LA as a champion... another great selling point.

My only question is... how does this work with the salary cap?
Becky takes up a lot of space... do they have to play the first half of the season with this gaping hole in their lineup and no way to fill it?

RedWookie
02-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Beckam is overrated if you ask me. He was only used to help make soccer in north america a success. He's done that, just let him be

Mikey
02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
as of 8:30 this morning (Saturday)
BBC were reporting AC milan vice president as saying they do not intend to increase their offer for Beckham.

Didn't mention giving up a player to Galaxy in return.

nfitz
02-21-2009, 12:13 PM
AC Milan says it's not raising offer for Beckham (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/21/david-beckham.html)

"Milan has made an offer that it feels is right for a loan of about eight months.... From Nov. 30, David will be available for zero."

If Beckham is still interested ... given how they are messing with everyone now, I'd be looking at other offers.

Shakes McQueen
02-21-2009, 12:15 PM
$3 million dollars?! What are they, insane??

LA would lose that amount of money from one Beckham-less home game, let alone an entire season of shirt sales, marketing, and increased attendance.

If that is as high as they are going, then I'm willing to personally declare negotiations over. Haha!

What a ridiculous offer.

- Scott

Bobo
02-21-2009, 12:26 PM
true enough, i mean it has everything you want in a real league, especially all your top teams being so powerful and corrupt that they all lose points at the same time for match-fixing(even relegated). now that's a REAL luxury tax!

So now Serie A isn't even a real league? LOL. Short term memory you must have.

bignickel
02-21-2009, 03:34 PM
So now Serie A isn't even a real league? LOL. Short term memory you must have.

if you read my post correctly, i said it has everything you want in real league. LOL short term memory.hahaha. good one

Oblio2
02-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Beckam is overrated if you ask me. He was only used to help make soccer in north america a success. He's done that, just let him be

yes, over rated...the fact that he got back into the England team...the fact that AC Milan want him because he's playing so well...he must be over rated
:noidea:

Shakes McQueen
02-21-2009, 04:12 PM
My opinion, is basically inline with the famous George Best quote, about Beckham:

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right. (http://www.quotesandpoem.com/quotes/showquotes/author/george-best/30312)"

I don't hate Beckham, but I hate the demi-God status he has with the media. The guy is an okay midfielder, a great free kick taker, and a good crosser. That's all.

- Scott

Dirk Diggler
02-21-2009, 04:22 PM
3 million? I dont care what currency thats in .... be it dollars or euro ... but that is indeed a ridiculously poor offer. Shame on Milan for trying to low ball Galaxy like that.

ensco
02-21-2009, 05:03 PM
The Galaxy have behaved honorably and are getting screwed for their trouble.

Milan rented Beckham until May 31 but the teams have a "Gentleman's Agreement" that Beckham will be released March 9.

Milan appear now to be "forgetting" about the agreement to release him. I guess this rough stuff is par for the course when it comes to big club player stuff, but I see why Platini is saying what he's saying about how the big clubs operate.

The Galaxy threw their negotiating leverage away be behaving like gentlemen.

Shakes McQueen
02-21-2009, 06:53 PM
The Galaxy have behaved honorably and are getting screwed for their trouble.

Milan rented Beckham until May 31 but the teams have a "Gentleman's Agreement" that Beckham will be released March 9.

Milan appear now to be "forgetting" about the agreement to release him. I guess this rough stuff is par for the course when it comes to big club player stuff, but I see why Platini is saying what he's saying about how the big clubs operate.

The Galaxy threw their negotiating leverage away be behaving like gentlemen.

I always feared this, from the second I first heard about their "gentleman's agreement". Where are you hearing this from?

- Scott

ensco
02-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I always feared this, from the second I first heard about their "gentleman's agreement". Where are you hearing this from?

- Scott

from the LA Times in early February
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/02/05/sports/sp-beckham-contract5

Beach_Red
02-22-2009, 10:46 AM
There's a quote in the Toronto Star today, the vice-president of AC Milan, Adriano Galliani saying, "I have experience knowing a player's value in the European market."

Someone needs to tell him that it's Beckham's value in the AMERICAN market that drives the price.

ensco
02-22-2009, 11:00 AM
There's a quote in the Toronto Star today, the vice-president of AC Milan, Adriano Galliani saying, "I have experience knowing a player's value in the European market."

Someone needs to tell him that it's Beckham's value in the AMERICAN market that drives the price.

Why should he care about that, ever? He should rightly only care about what Beckham is worth to him.

If there's no deal, fine.

Beach_Red
02-22-2009, 11:20 AM
He should care if he wants to negotiate a deal. If he just wants to make an offer and have it accepted or not, that's fine, but he makes these statements about negotiating and about Americans being "generous, (was that him, too, I'm not sure, but it was someone from AC Milan) like it's a one-way street.

Certainly if he's not willing to give up what MLS wants, then he's not going to make the deal, but he should at least realize that the "value" of something isn't simply what he says it is. I just think he's looking bad in this.

ensco
02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
I just think he's looking bad in this.

Yup. I would be more worried about my good name than the Milan chairman seems to be. And I am a fan of Milan.

jloome
02-22-2009, 01:37 PM
The second Lieweke came out and said he advises Beckham not to buy out his own contract, you can imagine the dollar signs lighting up in Milan's eyes. They know that even if MLS won't budge, Beckham is easily wealthy enough to cough up the difference himself if he really wants the move, and I'm sure they'll happily sign a non-disclosure agreement so that it's kept under wraps

Merlin
02-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Another ploy to sell jerseys i assume...

Not that Milan has a problem selling jerseys.

Pictures are worth a thousand words...

But how much is Beckham worth?

Nuvinho
02-22-2009, 03:41 PM
I have a feeling Milan will put $5M and Becks will put $5M of his own money to get the deal done.

Shakes McQueen
02-22-2009, 03:59 PM
I have a feeling Milan will put $5M and Becks will put $5M of his own money to get the deal done.

Los Angeles were reportedly asking for $20 million.

- Scott

Yohan
02-22-2009, 04:02 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45481000/jpg/_45481202_006887036-1.jpg

flatpicker
02-22-2009, 04:04 PM
^ what the heck?

Stryker
02-22-2009, 04:27 PM
The second Lieweke came out and said he advises Beckham not to buy out his own contract, you can imagine the dollar signs lighting up in Milan's eyes. They know that even if MLS won't budge, Beckham is easily wealthy enough to cough up the difference himself if he really wants the move, and I'm sure they'll happily sign a non-disclosure agreement so that it's kept under wraps
Considering that yesterday I just came across a picture of Posh toting about a handbag featuring a 3 carat diamond and total reported worth of $120 000 I'd say yes, Becks can afford to cough up abit of dough to get himself out.
Poor little rich boy.

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-22-2009, 04:29 PM
nothing on the BBC football site, and they are pretty acurate on news reports.