PDA

View Full Version : CB bad news

Jeffro
02-15-2009, 07:11 PM
When Marshall was traded there was a CB lined up as a replacement. Apparently he screwed us and signed somewhere else.

Also, it doesn't look like any of the triallists will make the cut, and there are new triallists meeting up with the team in Ft. Lauderdale.

I was hoping for some good news today about a cb, this wasn't it :mad:

werewolf
02-15-2009, 07:17 PM
who says?

Or are you in Florida?

dantdot
02-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I remember you breaking some news in the past but I hope you're wrong on this one, but it was all going too well, you knew something might fuck up.

T_Mizz
02-15-2009, 07:23 PM
3-5-2 then? YES!!

Marc"2L"
02-15-2009, 07:26 PM
3-5-2 then? YES!!

Who the fuck's the Centre back!?!?!?!

Velez or Robbo?

wzhxvy
02-15-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't understand this...why would we not sign the guy first then make the trade for Marshall...and the fact that Velez is still around tell me there is a plan because I mean seriously...Velez over Marshall...no way that makes sense

T_Mizz
02-15-2009, 07:30 PM
well if we'd have 5 in the midfield Robbo would be there, hopefully a dp CB will come in but other wise it would be velez unfortunately, but with two DMs it wouldn't be too bad

T_Mizz
02-15-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't understand this...why would we not sign the guy first then make the trade for Marshall...and the fact that Velez is still around tell me there is a plan because I mean seriously...Velez over Marshall...no way that makes sense
Maybe Carver sees something this year?

MartinUtd
02-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Are you talking about Darren Kenton? I haven't seen anything linking him to other teams.

justin
02-15-2009, 07:33 PM
i still think we'll be seeing alot more of nana or harmse in CB this season

TFC OZZ
02-15-2009, 07:39 PM
------------Barrett----Vitti--------------
Smith----------------------------Ricketts
--------De Rosario---Guevera-----------
-----------------Robbo-------------------
----Brennan---VELEZ??----Wynne----
-----------------Sutton-----------------

I'm sorry, there is not way in hell that we can play in a 3-5-2 with Velez as CB, I just can't see it happening, and working out well. Serioux or Jimmy Conrad baby, that's what I wanna see!

T_Mizz
02-15-2009, 07:42 PM
DeRo----------Guevara---------Ricketts
-----------Cronin----Robbo-------------------
-----------------Sutton----------------
I see it more like this

Stryker
02-15-2009, 07:54 PM
When Marshall was traded there was a CB lined up as a replacement. Apparently he screwed us and signed somewhere else

Oh rly? And how did you come about this info?

Yohan
02-15-2009, 07:55 PM
No need to press the panic button yet... Season opener is still a month away

The Pope
02-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Oh rly? And how did you come about this info?

He's broken plenty of news in the past and always been right

T_Mizz
02-15-2009, 08:13 PM
One can always hope eh?^
I'm holding out for Fabio Cannovaro

Billy the kid
02-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I hope this is not Kenton, I was hopeful he would sign.

Oblio2
02-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Who was the CB that screwed us?
Was it Kenton?

S_D
02-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Jeffro thx for the news.

I KNEW this kind of crap was going to happen. Given our shitty CB situation why the heck would you trade our servicable CB unless you had your new guy's signature on a contract.

Mo you dumbass :rolleyes: I hope you have a plan B, cuz Velez ain't it.

btw:
It could have been this guy: Jarosław Fojut

saw it mentioned on usector, he signed elsewhere.
http://www.slaskwroclaw.pl/wiadomosc.php?id=1576 (http://www.slaskwroclaw.pl/wiadomosc.php?id=1576)

Oldtimer
02-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Does anyone know Jeffro? Is he reliable as a news source?

werewolf
02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
^ some people say he was honest in previous cases, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

dantdot
02-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Does anyone know Jeffro? Is he reliable as a news source?

He broke info on when Tebily was released and some other trialist stuff.

Marco2K
02-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Bottom line is MO has to have a plan.

For the first time i think he might know what he is doing.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2009, 09:12 PM
I seem to remember Jeffro giving information in the past

thats brutal, and i hope that theres been some sort of miscommunication somewhere along the line.

Any chacne you wanna give us a name Jeffro? now that dude isnt signing?

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2009, 09:14 PM
makes me wonder if it was that polish kid

Toronto Ruffrider
02-15-2009, 09:19 PM
3-5-2 then? YES!!

We tried this formation during our first few games in 2007, and the results were abysmal. If we're going to go with only three at the back, those three defenders had better be top notch. In addition, with a smaller (and narrower) back line, our wide midfielders would have to track back and diligently defend against crosses.

T_Mizz
02-15-2009, 09:22 PM
well we didn't have wynne and our cb was Reda? so i don't think it's the same thing velez i think sadly is the best CB we've had so far

canadian_bhoy
02-15-2009, 09:23 PM
I've heard some rumours as well about the CB deal falling through. Crap

TFC OZZ
02-15-2009, 10:09 PM
I see it more like this

Wow, I never thought about putting in both Cronin and Robbo at the same time as DMF's... I really, really like that line-up, minus Velez starting of course.

The only issue I have with this is I feel like DeRo might be being pushed too far left, and I always saw him as more of a centre, or at more left-centre mid.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Just cuz DeRo is on the leftwing doesnt necessarily he will be playing a true wing style.
He can still make runs up the middle (or side), i would expect Ricketts to be putting crosses in more than DeRo to be honest.

I still dunno about 3-5-2 even with Cronin and Robbo there.
We'd have to have 3 CBs and Wynne wouldnt get play, hes not that defensively dependable and loves to go up, something you just cant have when you play 3-5-2

Cambridge_Red
02-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Cronin and Robbo in the middle would be an interesting setup, I still think we lack a quality sweeper if we were to go with this formation. Harmse can't tackle and Velez is also very sloppy.

T_Mizz
02-15-2009, 10:18 PM
----Brennan---DP CB----Wynne----
I mean this lol sorry

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Generally with a 3-5-2 the 3 are all cbs, i mean out of necessity Jimmy could play there as could harmse/velez/nana but really we need 3 strong CBs...

Shakes McQueen
02-15-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm not too worried about it - still a month to go, and Mo still has money he can play with.

Maybe if gets really desperate, he will end up using our DP slot to entice a veteran CB to come for a year or two.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm not too worried about it - still a month to go, and Mo still has money he can play with.

Maybe if gets really desperate, he will end up using our DP slot to entice a veteran CB to come for a year or two.

- Scott

yeah im not too worried yet either, mostly disappointed we got screwed around by some cb, even then im sure there are more options

i like the CBDP one

Stryker
02-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Well... seeing as Darren Kenton has gotton 230 minites of preseason time, I'd say Mo seriously wanted him.
If it wasen't Kenton then it could only have been an even better CB who has never joined the team that Mo thought he had "locked up".
Major drag.

Baggio2TFC
02-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Let's talk Christano Panucci!!!

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Well... seeing as Darren Kenton has gotton 230 minites of preseason time, I'd say Mo seriously wanted him.
If it wasen't Kenton then it could only have been an even better CB who has never joined the team that Mo thought he had "locked up".
Major drag.

i dunno why but i get the impression the cb never made it to canada as a resulti think it might have been that polish cat who signed in Poland

S_D
02-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I tried to use a translation service for that polish article I posted links to earlier and it came back mostly as drivel lol.

All I could make out was he had signed for 3.5 years and that he had played for u-20's.

I thought I saw it mentioned that Kenton was 5'9"?? I hope he has springs in his knees like JJ did because there are some pretty big forwards in this league.

Stryker
02-15-2009, 11:12 PM
i dunno why but i get the impression the cb never made it to canada as a resulti think it might have been that polish cat who signed in Poland
Its possible. The Marshall trade was on the 10th and the Polish dude signed ethier the same or next day with his new team.
Pretty huge screw up if thats the case.

sully
02-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Polish dude?

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Ben Starosta, Jack Pelter, Jaroslaw Fojut or andrew cave-brown

Sean Keay at U-Sector says look out for these guys in the next few days

We think it was potentially teh jaroslaw guy

S_D
02-15-2009, 11:41 PM
funny thing on the translation site

Jaroslaw = Vegetable

Stryker
02-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Jack Pelter looks promising.

Pachuco
02-15-2009, 11:49 PM
welll...If this is true, Mo made just about the biggest mistake he could've possibly made this offseason. If he trully traded Marshall without having a plan, and yes, a lack of plan to me is trading your best center back when you don't have someone SIGNED to replace him, then Mo is very close to throwing the season away. I really hope it's not true. To this point, I have supported Mo this offseason, this could all change very quickly.

Stouffville_RPB
02-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Mo knows what he's doing. Everyone needs to relax. We won't be playing a 3-5-2 and we won't be relying on Velez to be Fabio Cannavaro. Just chill.

FluSH
02-16-2009, 12:00 AM
This sounds like some insider info...

P.S. Pachuco I wouldn't be too hard on MO... time and time again he has proven us wrong just at the last minute... hope this is the case here as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 12:05 AM
and he did have a plan but it didnt go through as opposed to not having a plan
Season hasnt started yet, so theres no need to fret.
Also i really dont see us going 3-5-2 unless its necessary

Nuvinho
02-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Could be that the guy we "missed out" on was the 2nd defender we were bringing in. I remember JC saying he wanted 2 CBs in.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 12:26 AM
fingers crossed

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 12:26 AM
i would also like to believe that Mo hasnt put all his eggs in one basket after the Dickov affair

Keyman
02-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Maybe the new trialists are better!

I'm a glass half full kinda guy :)

BakaGaijin
02-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Maybe the new trialists are better!

I'm a glass half full kinda guy :)

Seriously.........losing Marshall is no big fucking deal. I'm sure we could sign another old, talentless hack from just about anywhere to replace him.

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Seriously.........losing Marshall is no big fucking deal. I'm sure we could sign another old, talentless hack from just about anywhere to replace him.

There is that to consider too. If all we want is a warm body to play CB, much like Marshall was/did, we can likely find one pretty quickly.

- Scott

SoccMan
02-16-2009, 01:15 AM
Let me just say that even before Marshall was traded we had major problems in the back. Therefore, even if we started the season with Marshal and the rest of the guys in the back like last season we would have major problems. How many games did we screw up last season because of our very poor defense. We need to start the season with two new and good players in the centre of our defense, because if we wait and play games with the crap that is back there now we will be in trouble and before you know it we will be kissing the playoffs bye bye once again. Remember every point dropped in this league could be precious points that might keep us once again out of the post season. We need to get this sorted out quickly, the season is just around the corner and I don't want to play not one game with a Velez and a Harmse as the guys to anchor the centre of our defense.

Jeffro
02-16-2009, 01:19 AM

Exactly, I didn't get a name, but it was definitely the Polish guy

And apparently Kenton hasn't really impressed.

the good news though, there will be some new triallists when the team heads back to Florida.

bhoybobby
02-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Marshall was one of our better players on a poor non play-off team. Why he get's dissed is beyond me, why we let one of our stronger players, who competes every game is beyond me.

Marshall was underrated on TFC, we're gonna miss him, we have never had any depth in that crucial position, hard to see how that's gonna change.

Keyman
02-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Marshall was one of our better players on a poor non play-off team. Why he get's dissed is beyond me, why we let one of our stronger players, who competes every game is beyond me.

Marshall was underrated on TFC, we're gonna miss him, we have never had any depth in that crucial position, hard to see how that's gonna change.
I wouldn't peg him as one of our better players, but he certainly wasn't as horrible as some make him out to be. He played a relatively clean and calculated game, he knew what his weaknesses were (significant lack of pace/lateral movement) and he played accordingly.

What I will say is this. Marshall would have been far better had he played next to a talented CB. If we had acquired a top notch central defender who allowed Marshall to play to his strengths and remain in more of a static role, then we would have had a solid pairing. I'm not going to judge anything, not the Marshall trade, not the trialists, not this breaking news, until I wait for it to play out. It's all unknown at this point, so let's just wait and see what happens. When the whistle blows to kick off the first game, then I will either crucify or praise Mo.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 01:27 AM

the good news though, there will be some new triallists when the team heads back to Florida.

cheers, much appreciated.
lets hope those trialists turn out.
i think Kenton has been a bit dicey, hed be fine as a fullback but hes clearly too small to play as a centreback

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 01:28 AM
initially i thought we'd be signing him because there were talks of an international CB coming in and there was an interview with the coach at cheltenham saying he was offered a contract elsewhere but since then with all the other talks of CBs etc, ive had my doubts

TFCREDNWHITE
02-16-2009, 01:37 AM

regarding your original post, i don't believe it.....sorry no offence or anything. Why would MoJo release Tyrone without knowing what his next move will be!?? I would side with Mojo on this one.....You might have broken some shit in the past but on this you make no sense what so ever!:cool::cool::cool:

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2009, 01:40 AM

Marshall isn't the scourge of the earth, but he certainly wasn't good. On any given day, he put in anywhere from a passable performance, to a god awful one.

Many of the late goals we gave up to drop points last season, came as a direct result of him and Velez blowing their marking, ball watching, getting straight up beaten on runs, and poorly defending set pieces.

I recall one goal in particular last season, on the road against Chivas, where they sent a harmless ball across the box, that Marshall and Velez let roll across to a Chivas player, costing us a goal, and the game. It literally crossed the paths of both Marshall and Velez, and both just watched it.

I think Marshall was our best CB, but that also isn't saying much at all. I also have faith that CB's of his caliber are probably pretty easy to find, if it comes down to that.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 01:46 AM
regarding your original post, i don't believe it.....sorry no offence or anything. Why would MoJo release Tyrone without knowing what his next move will be!?? I would side with Mojo on this one.....You might have broken some shit in the past but on this you make no sense what so ever!:cool::cool::cool:

nono, i think youve misread or misinterpreted,
MoJo traded Tyrone because he had a back up coming who signed elsewhere at the last second, leaving us without a CB

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-16-2009, 01:46 AM
When Marshall was traded there was a CB lined up as a replacement. Apparently he screwed us and signed somewhere else.

Also, it doesn't look like any of the triallists will make the cut, and there are new triallists meeting up with the team in Ft. Lauderdale.

Disappointing, but I assume Mo has a plan B and C. At a little early to panic right now. I'm little surprised that none of the other trialists aren’t coming back for another look.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Never had a hate on for Marshall but like its been said he wasnt the leading CB we need at this time and he was getting slow. Wasnt sad to see him go as i am expecting a CB (or several CBs) that should do his job more than competantly

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 01:48 AM
At a little early to panic right now. I'm little surprised that none of the other trialists aren’t coming back for another look.

Im only surprised because I thought that McGinchey would surely stick around, cant say im surprised with the rest tho (The Score actually sorta brought this up briefly saying our history with Trialists has been less than satisfactory and its very true, im hoping this season bucks the trend)

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-16-2009, 01:54 AM
I was thinking about McGlinchey too. I though this group of trialist were of a pretty good standard for the MLS. Maybe McGinchey will stick around, Jeffro118 only said "it didn’t look like" anyone made the cut.

BuSaPuNk
02-16-2009, 02:00 AM
From what I have seen in the reports McGinchey played well and surprised some people. Hopefully he is good enough to stay around. Don't want to get into scrabble mode and try and sign just any CB to replace Marshall. Sure as hell wouldn't want Velez stuck back there all year long. Hopefully Velez has learned a thing or two and can have a better year than last year.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 02:00 AM
yep, its true, i mean we dont really really need another mid but ya never know.
Also im curious to see if Hall is included in that.
Good to hear we have another round of trialists coming through.

Daveisonfire
02-16-2009, 05:31 AM

Ft. Lauderdale?

I was under the impression they were back in Toronto.

The players will return to Toronto on Saturday and continue preseason training at BMO Field next week.

bhoybobby
02-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Marshall isn't the scourge of the earth, but he certainly wasn't good. On any given day, he put in anywhere from a passable performance, to a god awful one.

Many of the late goals we gave up to drop points last season, came as a direct result of him and Velez blowing their marking, ball watching, getting straight up beaten on runs, and poorly defending set pieces.

I recall one goal in particular last season, on the road against Chivas, where they sent a harmless ball across the box, that Marshall and Velez let roll across to a Chivas player, costing us a goal, and the game. It literally crossed the paths of both Marshall and Velez, and both just watched it.

I think Marshall was our best CB, but that also isn't saying much at all. I also have faith that CB's of his caliber are probably pretty easy to find, if it comes down to that.

- Scott

All opinions count. All I can say is having played the game @ that position for many years @ a decent level, I viewed Marshall as one of our better players. our back line, such as it was, was left horribly exposed on many occasions. On top of that, Marshall had to play with the very amateur Velez.

IMHO, Marshall is a top CB in this league. It doesn't matter if your paired with a numpty @ the back, in any team, you play your position well & don't try to do someone elses job. The results are usually not good.

Too many passengers last year & Marshall wasn't one of them.

rocker
02-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Ft. Lauderdale?

I was under the impression they were back in Toronto.

they are... I think he means new trialists will arrive on Friday in Ft. Lauderdale when the team goes back to Florida. They are only in Toronto for less than a week and they go south again. Actually they'll be in Sunrise Florida, which is near Ft. L.

Daveisonfire
02-16-2009, 09:08 AM
they are... I think he means new trialists will arrive on Friday in Ft. Lauderdale when the team goes back to Florida. They are only in Toronto for less than a week and they go south again. Actually they'll be in Sunrise Florida, which is near Ft. L.

Okay thanks for clearing that up, I didn't realize they were going back

dannyd
02-16-2009, 09:32 AM

- Scott

Well, I guess every opinion counts, but the head coach of last season's league & playoff champions doesn't agree with you, and neither do I. From what I saw of Marshall, he's one of the stronger center backs in MLS, and is highly underrated for TFC.
To be honest, I though Velez and Marshall were good CB's and was looking forward to seeing them play together for another season.
You talk about them making a mistake that cost us a goal. What about all the screw-ups Sutton made, and I never see you harping on him. Like wise Brennan an Wynne, all three cost us more goals than Marshall & Velez, who have higher pressure positions.

David_Oliveira
02-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I think the way Harmse played towards the end last year, he could fill in until we get a new CB. We are still a month away. Relax and enjoy family day

jloome
02-16-2009, 09:47 AM
The CB issue at this point reflects the fact that we underrate what we already have; as noted somewhere else on the board, we were far from the league's worst defensive team last year; more middle of the road. It was our offense that stunk.

That half-empty perspective, of course -- and worth respecting -- is that to go deep in the playoffs, we need an anchor CB. No more or less.

Issues like balls rolling untaken in front of players, as at Chivas, wouldn't happen with a commanding centre back taking charge.

Any chance we could get DeVos out of retirement? Hell, he was captaining Ipswich when he quit, wasn't he? Must have another year in the tank.

Flashman
02-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Any chance we could get DeVos out of retirement? Hell, he was captaining Ipswich when he quit, wasn't he? Must have another year in the tank.

Can't see it...we couldn't even pry him out of the broadcast booth when we had 11 starters away for international duty, and had to bring in Lynx and Whitecap players and a coach off of the bench.

Beach_Red
02-16-2009, 10:20 AM
What I will say is this. Marshall would have been far better had he played next to a talented CB.

But that's true of anyone.

Come on, we all knew Marshall was going to Seattle when the expansion draft happened, the deal was done then.

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, I guess every opinion counts, but the head coach of last season's league & playoff champions doesn't agree with you, and neither do I. From what I saw of Marshall, he's one of the stronger center backs in MLS, and is highly underrated for TFC.
To be honest, I though Velez and Marshall were good CB's and was looking forward to seeing them play together for another season.
You talk about them making a mistake that cost us a goal. What about all the screw-ups Sutton made, and I never see you harping on him. Like wise Brennan an Wynne, all three cost us more goals than Marshall & Velez, who have higher pressure positions.

Sutts let in a few softies last season, but he also bailed the defense out with some pretty great saves.

I'm not completely enamored with Sutton though, for the record.

Clearly Sigi wanted Marshall, but as we also know, Sigi and Marshall have a history together, that may colour his judgment. However, there is a reason he only went for $100k in allocation cash, and nothing else.

I hope ultimately Velez and Marshall are both gone, in favour of stronger replacements.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2009, 10:46 AM
The CB issue at this point reflects the fact that we underrate what we already have; as noted somewhere else on the board, we were far from the league's worst defensive team last year; more middle of the road. It was our offense that stunk.

That half-empty perspective, of course -- and worth respecting -- is that to go deep in the playoffs, we need an anchor CB. No more or less.

Issues like balls rolling untaken in front of players, as at Chivas, wouldn't happen with a commanding centre back taking charge.

My problem was never with the number of goals they conceded, but with how and when they were conceded.

Our defense repeatedly folded like a cheap umbrella last season, when games were coming down to the wire. I'm sure we can all count the number of times we dropped valuable points, by giving up infuriatingly soft goals in the final 10 minutes or so of a match, turning wins into draws, and draws into losses. Or forget the final ten minutes - in how many games did we concede clutch goals in STOPPAGE TIME alone?

- Scott

vince93
02-16-2009, 10:55 AM
I think mo is just waiting for Palo Maldini to end the season with A.C. Milan>:canada:

Pachuco
02-16-2009, 11:00 AM

- Scott

Sorry man, I couldn't disagree with you more. Marshall was a very solid defender. It's hard to defend 100% all the time when you have the worst defender in the MLS standing right beside you. And to say Marshall can be replaced easily? did you forget we need TWO CBs? If they are so easy to come by then why don't we have them signed by now? Why didn't we have another Marshall last year then?

All I know is this year we have lost Julius James, Todd Dunivant and Tyronne Marshall. Last year we lost Pat Phelan and Olivier Tebily. I don't think I need to count for you but that's 5 defenders that we've lost which Mo has not been able to replace to date. If you are really thinking it's going to be easy to short up the back line before the start of the season then you are in for a rude awakening.

Shakes McQueen
02-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Sorry man, I couldn't disagree with you more. Marshall was a very solid defender. It's hard to defend 100% all the time when you have the worst defender in the MLS standing right beside you. And to say Marshall can be replaced easily? did you forget we need TWO CBs? If they are so easy to come by then why don't we have them signed by now? Why didn't we have another Marshall last year then?

All I know is this year we have lost Julius James, Todd Dunivant and Tyronne Marshall. Last year we lost Pat Phelan and Olivier Tebily. I don't think I need to count for you but that's 5 defenders that we've lost which Mo has not been able to replace to date. If you are really thinking it's going to be easy to short up the back line before the start of the season then you are in for a rude awakening.

You misunderstood my point. I think finding CB's of what I feel to be Marshall's meager calibre, is pretty easy. My assumption is that Mo is trying to sign CB's who are an improvement over Marshall.

What I was saying is that, if that fails, it probably isn't difficult to find CB's who can do the job as well as Marshall did.

If you disagree with that, that's fine. It's pretty much all idle speculation and opinion, because I have no clairvoyance into how Mo is doing with player negotiations.

As for Velez, it's funny that you consider him to be bad, because most people seem to either like one of them (and hate the other), or hate both. Some folks here seem to think Velez is underrated too. I think they are insane. :D

- Scott

rocker
02-16-2009, 11:24 AM
so did we find out who the CB was that turned TFC down? if it was the young polish dude, then it's not a huge loss. The guy was a huge risk to begin with, considering he has barely played anywhere and is still very young. We need a defender who is more experienced and less risky. I would prefer someone from within MLS to ensure we know what we are getting.

Canadian Blue
02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
What is the big deal with the CB issue? With Canadian_Bhoy and myself we have to quality CB's that have been with the club since day one. Give us each a uniform and I am sure we can both last 30 minutes.......that way we only have to use either Harmse or Velez for 30 minutes/game.....LOL

S_D
02-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Problem with that rocker is who is willing to give one up?

And if so, you know that they know (lol) how bad our back line has been depeleted and will want Mo to pay through the nose for one. I haven't seen Mo willing to overpay for anyone (trade wise).

The solution is probably going to have to come from somewhere outside the league.

rocker
02-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Problem with that rocker is who is willing to give one up?

And if so, you know that they know (lol) how bad our back line has been depeleted and will want Mo to pay through the nose for one. I haven't seen Mo willing to overpay for anyone (trade wise).

The solution is probably going to have to come from somewhere outside the league.

Mo got De Rosario for very little... I wouldn't underestimate the power of Trader Mo to fleece a compatriot. Just need to identify a team hurting for something (cap space, young players, Americans, etc) and then offer enough to get the deal done. Mo has a lot of assets right now.

I hear Hyndman is not really happy with Serioux down in Dallas. Jeff Parke is still unsigned.

nick.mastro
02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
DP FOR CB!

do we have cap space to even do this? if so, c'monn Moooo.

Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Matterazzi? :noidea: lol

rocktml
02-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Anyone know the polish guys name?

Pigfynn
02-16-2009, 12:46 PM
^^I'd take both :)

S_D
02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I'd take them both too. Parke though already said he didn't want to play for one team according to Ives so I wonder if he has said it's NYRB or nobody. He would be quite the acquisition though.

canadian_bhoy
02-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Anyone know the polish guys name?

Maciej Nevergonnaplayforus

LucaGol
02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
By "new trialists" ... Im assuming they're referring to the previously mentioned 3 young CBs ...

Ben Starosta
Jaroslav Fojut
Jack Pelter

Boondaddy
02-16-2009, 01:23 PM
DP FOR CB!

do we have cap space to even do this? if so, c'monn Moooo.

Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Matterazzi? :noidea: lol

ummm, how about none of the above....

Nuvinho
02-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I'd take them both too. Parke though already said he didn't want to play for one team according to Ives so I wonder if he has said it's NYRB or nobody. He would be quite the acquisition though.

That is one defender I was hoping Mo would get. Maybe allocation money back to Seattle for Parke? Give Parke $100K. Saves us about $50K overall.

Btw, I think Marshall was a serviceable #2 defender. If you put him with a good #1 CB, he would be be good. But when you stick him with Velez, it becomes a nightmare.

Baggio2TFC
02-16-2009, 02:29 PM
ummm, how about none of the above....
Ummm..no offence, but I would take Canna any day of the week to play for TFC...one if not the best CB in the world...the others...I can do without although a healthy nesta would be ok too!

T_Mizz
02-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Beggers can't be choosers i'd take any of those guys in a second

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Marshall should have never been traded....he was our best back!!

T_Mizz
02-16-2009, 02:43 PM
^yeah and Nick was the best Backstreet boy but that doesn't mean he's cool

djking2
02-16-2009, 02:57 PM
^yeah and Nick was the best Backstreet boy but that doesn't mean he's cool

References to the Backstreet boys really can't be good for your argument, don't ya think?

kelzag
02-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Maciej Nevergonnaplayforuski

fixed ;)

T_Mizz
02-16-2009, 03:57 PM
References to the Backstreet boys really can't be good for your argument, don't ya think?
I did think that actually but clearly i opted to make the reference:D but my point is that its one of the MLS's worst backlines so the best player isn't necessarily upto scratch

Captain Croatia
02-16-2009, 10:52 PM
Put Robbo in the back with Velez or Harmse?

Cronin in the middle with Guevara

Ossington Mental Youth
02-16-2009, 11:44 PM
nope, Robbo prefers DM, Carver said he prefers to play him in DM.
It doesnt solve the problem either.
Maybe if we are really screwed but definitely not for the season

Big Bruva
02-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Put Robbo in the back with Velez or Harmse?

Cronin in the middle with Guevara

If that happens on a consistant basis then we can forget a major improvement in defence.

Really don't see why so many people all of a sudden love Robbo as a CB, I know he filled in one game back there but if a keeper gets sent off and a player goes in goal and keep a clean sheet for the rest of the match i don't think that means that player could play in goal on a regular basis lol

Robbo and Harmse playing CB together would be 2 players learning the role of a CB and not something that would bring progress in a struggling backline.

Daveisonfire
02-17-2009, 01:20 AM
If that happens on a consistant basis then we can forget a major improvement in defence.

Really don't see why so many people all of a sudden love Robbo as a CB, I know he filled in one game back there but if a keeper gets sent off and a player goes in goal and keep a clean sheet for the rest of the match i don't think that means that player could play in goal on a regular basis lol

Robbo and Harmse playing CB together would be 2 players learning the role of a CB and not something that would bring progress in a struggling backline.

Exactly!

I don't know why this keeps getting brought up...

Ossington Mental Youth
02-17-2009, 01:27 AM
there is a tendency to want to play players out of position in this forum

trane
02-17-2009, 11:10 AM
So we have no new CB, but people what us to playe a 3-5-2? That sounds like a plan. I believe in putting your best 11 on the field, and sometime that means, that you may have to resort to ussing less players in a position then you would like, but our CBs are incosistent at best, if we go to 3 at the back we better be ready to score 3 a game. Teams in Europe and South America may play 3-5-2, but they have three quality defenders, and at least two midfielders who will play well both ways on the wings. Do we realy have that?

Ossington Mental Youth
02-17-2009, 11:25 AM
no there are a billion threads about this already
we do not have the people to play that formation adn we would get destroyed, thats not to mention that we wouldnt/couldnt play Wynne in that formation
it aint gonna happen
The season hasnt started yet, we will get our CB (hopefully CBs)

Bobo
02-17-2009, 03:24 PM
Ummm..no offence, but I would take Canna any day of the week to play for TFC...one if not the best CB in the world...the others...I can do without although a healthy nesta would be ok too!

Cannavaro isn't in the top 10 CBs anymore. I think he put all form he'd have for the rest of his career into the WC cause he hasn't been great since. That being said, anyone who says they wouldn't want a guy like that is basically talking out of their ass. From that list, Matrix would be unreal too
but Maldini is done at season's end, and he may very well see more games left in his career than Nesta will with his health issues.

I don't know if these guys are even worth a mention though, its not happening.

bhoybobby
02-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Harmse is a donkey, you want this guy at CB, or Robbo, who is the glue in Mid. FFS is this what it's come to. We sent a very good CB away, to what end?? Hopefully there's an upgrade, or it makes no sense.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-17-2009, 11:31 PM
there will be an upgrade.
all signs point to yes

Ossington Mental Youth
02-17-2009, 11:33 PM
im just hoping for more than one

Daveisonfire
02-17-2009, 11:34 PM
there will be an upgrade.
all signs point to yes

Best.sign.ever.

druid
02-18-2009, 12:02 AM
We needed a center back at the start of the transfer window. Now we need two.

PS for a three 3-5-2 you really want three good CBs and two wing backs.

Jack
02-18-2009, 12:11 AM
3-5-2 for our team is silly.

Or at least, with the players being listed here it is.

Who puts Wynne in the backline of a 3-5-2? That's making it into a 2-6-2 by default right there.

There should be at least one CB signed soon (we've seen the rumblings about the South American) and I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of a deal made for a solid MLS defender. (I know, I know...oxymoron :D)

Don Julio
02-18-2009, 02:20 AM
Playing our best players would mean a 2-5-3.. or 2-6-2.. I don't think that's going to cut it.

Brooker
02-18-2009, 02:27 AM

AHHHHHHH bad news on the CB hunt? nice change i was getting sick of all the goods news about it. :D

i dunno whether to worry or not.... i mean, it just doesnt make sense for Carver and Mo to think this will do. gotta be a new CB as the season gets closer.

Marc"2L"
02-18-2009, 03:26 AM
The point was that they thought they could get away with maybe 1 new CB. Or at least they had that much. I believe it when they say signing can be difficult for a multitude of reasons.

So we had 1 CB lined up and traded away Marshall.
Well he signed elsewhere and Marshall got traded....

Anybody saying don't worry is just accepting the fact that our CB solution will be rushed and might not work. There is plenty to worry about.."the plan" just fell threw!

Shakes McQueen
02-18-2009, 03:44 AM
The point was that they thought they could get away with maybe 1 new CB. Or at least they had that much. I believe it when they say signing can be difficult for a multitude of reasons.

So we had 1 CB lined up and traded away Marshall.
Well he signed elsewhere and Marshall got traded....

Anybody saying don't worry is just accepting the fact that our CB solution will be rushed and might not work. There is plenty to worry about.."the plan" just fell threw!

The only information we have, is a rumour a guy heard from another guy, and posted here. We have no idea what signings are in the pipeline, and whether this person who signed elsewhere was the only signing they were working on at the time.

Another guy just said tonight that we should expect a CB signing from Argentina in the next couple of days.

I'm not worried about it, because we have over a month left. If we still don't have anyone a week before opening day - then I will be worried.

- Scott

Ossington Mental Youth
02-18-2009, 03:46 AM
south america, not necessarily argentina, not to nitpick or anything

Shakes McQueen
02-18-2009, 03:50 AM
south america, not necessarily argentina, not to nitpick or anything

Not to nitpick or anything, but *commence nitpicking*

Whatever, haha. :D

- Scott

Bender
02-18-2009, 06:40 AM
there is a tendency to want to play players out of position in this forum

Well when you deal with the amount of NT callups and injuries that we've had to endure the past couple of seasons, in all honesty we haven't had much of an option! Its a habit now for some. :o

Ossington Mental Youth
02-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Not to nitpick or anything, but *commence nitpicking*

Whatever, haha. :D

- Scott

HAHHAHA
pick nits i will!
Looks like Jackie Chan (aka Richardson seems certain hes going to get signed)

Lucky Strike
02-18-2009, 08:16 AM
HAHHAHA
pick nits i will!
Looks like Jackie Chan (aka Richardson seems certain hes going to get signed)

Where did you see that?

Eastend
02-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Where did you see that?

First article in Today's News:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=378075#post378075

Lucky Strike
02-18-2009, 08:54 AM
First article in Today's News:

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=378075#post378075

Yeah I saw it a little while afterwards. Thanks!

djking2
02-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Dobsons report suggests that Carver doesn't seem too worried about having lost a CB. In fact he makes it sound like things are looking good. I can only figure landing a quality player given all the of the MLS roster and salary limitations takes time. I'm as impatient as the next guy I suppose but wild speculation and unsubstantiated rumors are just a fucking pain in the ass.

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Don't forget MLS head office is pretty busy these days, working out a deal for that guy who's name I forget. I think everything else maybe on the backburner for them.

So in fact, blame 'that guy' for us not having a new CB.......haha!!!

Stryker
02-18-2009, 11:39 AM
For what its worth MLSR is saying the agent of Columbian CB John Kennedy Hurtado confirmed his impending signing with Seattle.
The 24 year old Deportivo Cali player with speed to burn had a recent 3 week trial with AC Milan who was tempted to sign him.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/4919/13002bigzl4.jpg

Scooped again by the upstart Sounders. :(

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 11:43 AM
^^ damn!!

trane
02-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Fuck me. Keep in mind that Milan is in dire need at the back, otherwise they would be leading Serie A right now, and probably not in EUFA instead of Champions League. However, he must have had some quality to get a try out.

Section 117
02-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I have a source that told me that by the end of the next week we will have the CB we were looking for.

He is Canadian and he plays in the MLS

tfc
02-18-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a source that told me that by the end of the next week we will have the CB we were looking for.

He is Canadian and he plays in the MLS

SERIOUX!!!!!!!!!!

pretty pumped about that actually, maybe he can teach harmse the position seeing as they have a similar style ...

wzhxvy
02-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Serioux ???

ExiledRed
02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
SERIOUX!!!!!!!!!!

pretty pumped about that actually, maybe he can teach harmse the position seeing as they have a similar style ...

Whether the source is correct or not, it would make sense for Mo to pull out all the stops to bring Serioux in right now.

What would we lose for him though?

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Are you Serious about Serioux??

What about the guy on Colorado, isn't he Canadian.....Ugo something.

As well, maybe we are getting Hainault from Houston.

Section 117
02-18-2009, 12:59 PM
That I do not know and probably will not know until the deal is done. My source is well connected with the team. I am think allocation money since we have a boat load of it.

Also, on a side note the team meaning the players are quite impressed by the skills shown by Vitti so far in camp.

Section 117
02-18-2009, 01:00 PM

No it is Serioux from Dallas :canada:

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 01:01 PM
So we have 2 sources now: One a South American Defender, and another a Canadian MLS player.

Mo knows!!

Lucky Strike
02-18-2009, 01:02 PM

Ugo Ihemelu is the name. And he's actualy American but could play for Canada through some quirk I'm not aware of. Status in MLS (as domestic or international is based on the player's eligibility for the US or Canadian national teams).

Lucky Strike
02-18-2009, 01:03 PM
No it is Serioux from Dallas :canada:

So, you're confirming that your source said Serioux is about to be traded for?

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 01:04 PM

shhhhh....don't let Mo know we have insider info....hahaha!!! j/k :)

Broadview
02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Whether the source is correct or not, it would make sense for Mo to pull out all the stops to bring Serioux in right now.

What would we lose for him though?

Just speculating, but allocation? An eventually signed striker from Guyana to ease our glut of forwards? Johann Smith?

I can see Mo trading away picks next year as our drafting position will hopefully worsen. Also he seems pretty happy with his haul of young players this year and rosters are only so big.

Signing Serioux would help me sleep better at night anyway.

tfc
02-18-2009, 01:06 PM
So we have 2 sources now: One a South American Defender, and another a Canadian MLS player.

Mo knows!!

Maybe it is both! There was always the possibility of bringing in 2 CB's ... Imagine we snagged Serioux and a quality SA defender ... :eek::D

BFin
02-18-2009, 01:07 PM
why not just say serioux from the onset instead of Canadian MLS CB?
I'm surprised the imaginations didn't run a little more wild than that.

Section 117
02-18-2009, 01:07 PM

Yes that is what I was told and everything else that has I have been told from ny source has come true so I am confident in posting it.

If I heard something and was not sure about it then I would not post it. I am not one of those people who would post useless speculation.

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 01:08 PM
If we give Dallas say $100K in allocation (which we got from Seattle). I am unsure (I have to look it up) on what Serioux salary is.......but I'm sure its less or the same at Marshall.

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes that is what I was told and everything else that has I have been told from ny source has come true so I am confident in posting it.

If I heard something and was not sure about it then I would not post it. I am not one of those people who would post useless speculation.

Good to know!! Just hope your source doesn't get in trouble tho.

Section 117
02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
why not just say serioux from the onset instead of Canadian MLS CB?
I'm surprised the imaginations didn't run a little more wild than that.

I just wanted to see how long it would take I guess....

No reason in particular

BFin
02-18-2009, 01:10 PM
^^
post tease haha

Section 117
02-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Good to know!! Just hope your source doesn't get in trouble tho.

I can't see it being traced back to my source unless Mo has some super power that we all don't know about

BFin
02-18-2009, 01:12 PM
^^
you never know.
Mo does have drafting and trading superpowers.

Lucky Strike
02-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Well that was straightforward. Usually, you have to wrangle it out of people in an interminable guessing game with cryptic hints that don't mean anything. As for the truthfulness of the rumour: we'll hold you to that! :D Just kidding, we all appreciate you posting this for us.

ExiledRed
02-18-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm guessing Dallas would want more than allocation and low picks,
Dallas also know we'd probably be willing to part with more too.

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 01:15 PM
Now the next question: did your source tell you anything else about a mysterious South American defender?

The best picture I saw of Serioux was when he was taking out Beckhams legs and welcoming him to MLS.

Lucky Strike
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Maybe not. Mo has a good relationship with Dallas if you think of the Ibbe deal, the Cunningham deal and in 2007 with O'Brien and what not. Don't know if that'll play a role, but it won't be as antagonistic as if we were trying to do business with Chicago.

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 01:16 PM

We gave them Cunny, what else could they ask for ;)....haha!!!

Lucky Strike
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Now the next question: did your source tell you anything else about a mysterious South American defender?

The best picture I saw of Serioux was when he was taking out Beckhams legs and welcoming him to MLS.

If he were dealt to TFC, I'd look forward to his long throws that are Delap-esque, though Dichio says Serioux's are better.

Jeffro
02-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I hope this is true, I'll see if I can dig up any confirmation today.

Stryker
02-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Im going to try not to get too excited.
We've been down Serioux Road too many times before and always come to a dead end.

Flashman
02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Puzzling...going into the off-season the one thing FCD supporters were expressing a need to improve with their club was the centre of the defence, hence the efforts to sign Omar Gonzalez.

I can't see how this trade helps shore up their CB position?

Broadview
02-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Serioux seems to be injured right now as well. Not sure how bad, but FCD's blogger types are speculating over who will start the season at right back where Serioux normally plays.

http://www.3rddegree.net/2009/02/120-fahrenheit-looming-questions/

Stryker
02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Wonder what the injury is? I can't find anything on google.

Flashman
02-18-2009, 01:45 PM
I believe they are referring to injuries last year, and previous seasons

ExiledRed
02-18-2009, 01:48 PM
We gave them Cunny, what else could they ask for ;)....haha!!!

buttsecs?

Flashman
02-18-2009, 01:49 PM
We could give them Velez aussi?

oxygenatedbrain
02-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Serioux has had a series of niggling injuries, and has just started agility drills...
Hyndman was annoyed because Serioux didn't seem anxious to get in there, and it unsettled the process of putting together a back line for the season...

Serioux doesn't play in the middle there, he's the first choice RB...

T_Mizz
02-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Never heard anyone say niggling injuries before but I like it
Also should we change the name of the thread to CB GOOD News now?

BFin
02-18-2009, 02:21 PM
is niggling injuries a racist comment towards Serioux??
hahah :)

Stryker
02-18-2009, 02:26 PM
^ uncomfortable silence ensues

nfitz
02-18-2009, 02:42 PM
If Serioux is RB not CB, then there's only one other Canadian defender in MLS as far as I know - Ante Jazic.

But I didn't think he played centre either ...

The only one who really fits the criteria of playing centre back, who is Canadian, and plays in MLS is Attakora-Gyan. And perhaps that is indeed what the original leak is getting at.

(and of course Kevin Harmse ...)

ben_vw
02-18-2009, 02:44 PM
If Serioux is RB not CB, then there's only one other Canadian defender in MLS as far as I know - Ante Jazic.

But I didn't think he played centre either ...

The only one who really fits the criteria of playing centre back, who is Canadian, and plays in MLS is Attakora-Gyan. And perhaps that is indeed what the original leak is getting at.

Serioux can play RB, CB, or CDM. He was quite good for Canada at CB in our meager WCQ campaign.

oxygenatedbrain
02-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Obviously, Serioux can play anywhere across the back...I was referring to the worthy commentator who suggested Serioux was unavailable because they needed central defenders...

nfitz
02-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Oops wrong they ...

I'm pretty sure Serioux was RB when Dallas was here last year - I remember him in the corner ...

You'd think I would remember where he was for the Jamaica game, given I was standing in the front row of the south crowds - the only thing that seems to be imprinted in my brain is that ball heading towards Onstad from the corner ... and I've tried not to think about it since ... :-)

Well Serioux it is then ... maybe ...

Section 117
02-18-2009, 03:27 PM
From my understaninng he will play as CB not as RB. As per other posts he does play anywhere in the back and in a defensive midfielders spot.

He would be an upgrade to anything we have at the moment

Section 117
02-18-2009, 03:29 PM

He said nothing about a South American defender. I will see if I can get any info on that.

Nuvinho
02-18-2009, 03:30 PM
He said nothing about a South American defender. I will see if I can get any info on that.

Someone on this site said something about there being one on the way, don't know if they were making that up.

Section 117
02-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Someone on this site said something about there being one on the way, don't know if they were making that up.

I know I read it on this thread somewhere... I might have an update today if not for sure tomorrow.

Big Bruva
02-18-2009, 03:37 PM
is niggling injuries a racist comment towards Serioux??
hahah :)

Just plain dumb, for that to come to your mind tells me a lot.

Big Bruva
02-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Oops wrong they ...

I'm pretty sure Serioux was RB when Dallas was here last year - I remember him in the corner ...

You'd think I would remember where he was for the Jamaica game, given I was standing in the front row of the south crowds - the only thing that seems to be imprinted in my brain is that ball heading towards Onstad from the corner ... and I've tried not to think about it since ... :-)

Well Serioux it is then ... maybe ...

Plays RB for Dallas and CB for Canada.

Hitcho
02-18-2009, 03:40 PM

Ah ha, so you admit that this person is a "he" then!

Well that narrows it down quite a bit... :hump:

Broadview
02-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Plays RB for Dallas and CB for Canada.

Is he one of the guys you know? If he is, do you think he'd like to be a CB up here?

jloome
02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't think Serioux's the last defensive signing. You don't ship out three defenders and replace them with one.

I would've assumed Kenton would stick, but maybe he didn't. Either way, I'd be surprised if we don't have a couple more centre halfs before the season starts.

BuSaPuNk
02-19-2009, 12:19 AM
I would like to see Serioux come here. Always seen him as a solid defender. God how we need something soild back there. Anyone know a good brick layer??

jloome
02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Ives Galarcep, who has good TFC sources, is reporting Serioux isn't coming, they talked, but it didn't happen. He does say however that we're "poised to make a flurry of signings."

Or something like that.

http://www.soccerbyives.net

Pigfynn
02-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Doesn't sound like Serioux is happening according to Ives:

News & Notes

Rumors have resurfaced linking Toronto FC with FC Dallas defender Adrian Serioux, but sources tell SBI those talks have long since ended. TFC is poised to make one final flurry of player signings before the start of the new season. .

Pigfynn
02-19-2009, 10:19 AM
whoops!

Lucky Strike
02-19-2009, 10:29 AM

News & Notes

Rumors have resurfaced linking Toronto FC with FC Dallas defender Adrian Serioux, but sources tell SBI those talks have long since ended. TFC is poised to make one final flurry of player signings before the start of the new season. .

While I'd like to see Serioux here, that's not necessarily bad news: someone better than him could be signed instead.

T_Mizz
02-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Again the thread title holds true

TFCREDNWHITE
02-19-2009, 10:31 AM

News & Notes

David Edgar!?!? I mean Carver was in Newcastle a couple of months ago...

Hitcho
02-19-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't think Serioux's the last defensive signing. You don't ship out three defenders and replace them with one.

I would've assumed Kenton would stick, but maybe he didn't. Either way, I'd be surprised if we don't have a couple more centre halfs before the season starts.

I'd definitely agree that was the plan, but it sounds like at least one or two planned defensive signings have fallen through (all rumour, but still). My worry is that Mo was thinking along the same lines as you but is being frustrated now at every turn. Still, plenty of time left to get some names in. The sooner the better though, so that they can gel with the team and get the benefit of pre-season in too.

EDIT - the Ives thing is interesting, a "flurry" of signings points to someone coming in at least, just hope Mo is not down to the scraps at the bottom of the barrel now, because he basically has to sign someone, whoever it is, or all his work in getting in De Ro, Vitti and re-signign the likes of Robbo, RR and DD will likely be in vain!

T_Mizz
02-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Don't just throw out names, you'll break our hearts.
But that would be the greatest

Hitcho
02-19-2009, 10:35 AM
David Edgar!?!? I mean Carver was in Newcastle a couple of months ago...

This again? I admire your optimism but come on dude, it's a pretty flimsy basis for dredging Edgar's name up again... :noidea:

Having said that, I hope I am wrong and you are right! :hump:

T_Mizz
02-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I think the reason he was in newcastle was because he's from there isn't he? or maybe just taking in a vipers game:D
http://www.vipershockey.co.uk/

Ossington Mental Youth
02-19-2009, 10:42 AM
Flurry is more than one, you dont have a flurry of snowflake (yes, i said flake).

TFCREDNWHITE
02-19-2009, 10:42 AM
This again? I admire your optimism but come on dude, it's a pretty flimsy basis for dredging Edgar's name up again... :noidea:

Having said that, I hope I am wrong and you are right! :hump:

I bet you they want him, but how could they fit him under the salary cap???

T_Mizz
02-19-2009, 10:44 AM
I bet you they want him, but how could they fit him under the salary cap???
DP?:noidea:
I love the kid but not sure at this point he's worth it:canada:

Nuvinho
02-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I am now confused on the CB situation. Yesterday I was happy, today I am confused :|

Ossington Mental Youth
02-19-2009, 11:39 AM
nah dont be, we are getting some, we just dont know who they are

Pigfynn
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Yo Sec117 I see you looking What's up? I thought you said Serioux was coming dude.

Nuvinho
02-19-2009, 11:42 AM
nah dont be, we are getting some, we just dont know who they are

As long as I don't see a backline of Velez-Harmse against KC....oh the nightmare!!

Ossington Mental Youth
02-19-2009, 11:44 AM
HAHAHA
ive got faith, like i said before
all signs point to yes

Section 117
02-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Update from my source that the South American defender is with the team at the moment and leaves a lot to be desired ie. he is a pylon. He doesn't think Mo is going to sign him. So I am throwing my hat in as the new CB.

On the Serioux talk my source has said that the talks are still on going and if a deal is going to be done it will be by the end of next week.

Section 117
02-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Pigfynn - what does Ives really know, especially if it has nothing to do with the shite team in New Jersey

Nuvinho
02-19-2009, 11:50 AM
maybe that's why they cut the preseason games in half, they can't field enough defenders to have an intersquad game.

Pigfynn
02-19-2009, 11:51 AM
^^Hey dude, if you believe your source and are confident enough to post what he says on this board more power to you! I never said I didn't believe you just wanted to hear your side of it. I hope you have good info though.

Stryker
02-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Ives:

Wonder if this mornings blurb has anything to do with my email to him yesterday asking if he could do some digging. :D

Stryker
02-19-2009, 11:53 AM
For what its worth MLSR is saying the agent of Columbian CB John Kennedy Hurtado confirmed his impending signing with Seattle.
The 24 year old Deportivo Cali player with speed to burn had a recent 3 week trial with AC Milan who was tempted to sign him.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/4919/13002bigzl4.jpg

Scooped again by the upstart Sounders. :(
Offical. And now I'm depressed. :(

Hitcho
02-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Flurry is more than one, you dont have a flurry of snowflake (yes, i said flake).

I concur. But a flurry in its true sense seems unlikely. How could we really fit five or sixe new players under the cap on top of what we have? But, if ives is predicting a flurry, then it's not unreasonabel to hope that at least one (maybe more than one) signing will be wrapped up in time for the new season, no?

We're all pulling together on this one anyway - SIGN AT LEAST ONE AND HOPEFULLY TWO GOOD CBS ASAP PLEASE MO!!!!

Section 117
02-19-2009, 12:01 PM
^^Hey dude, if you believe your source and are confident enough to post what he says on this board more power to you! I never said I didn't believe you just wanted to hear your side of it. I hope you have good info though.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I hear a lot of things about TFC, I would never throw some random name saying TFC is going to sign (insert palyers name here). My source has told me about a couple of offers over that last year and half to players in Europe that never materialized. I never posted them cause we both agreed that they was probably no chance of signing those players.

I believe my source as talks have been on going for a while now, and they have been since the draft. In the MLS things are litttle more complicated.

Agian I would like to throw my name in as the new CB. I would sign for less money than Marshall and probably do a better job then Velez.

djking2
02-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Pigfynn - what does Ives really know, especially if it has nothing to do with the shite team in New Jersey

I'm sorry but if TFC had someone blogging that was as connected as Ives we'd have a lot less bullshit on the board. While he does at times show his bias (why shouldn't he) you're not gonna gain any cred with me by slagging the best full-time MLS writer in the game.

jloome
02-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Sorry man but I gotta give props to Ives, as he's the best guy covering the league right now and his TFC sources are second-to-none. Figure it out: Half our front office used to work in New York.

Not saying he's right on this as we're all wrong sometimes, but if his source says no Serioux, it's almost certainly no.

EDIT: Heh, synchonicity dude.

RedRum
02-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Maybe 117 is right and Ives TFC sources gave him the "dead deal" info to better their bargaining position with Dallas - that being if Dallas doesn't accept Mo's offer TFC can bring in a "flurry" of guys in a hurry.

The art of deception. Just saying it's plausible...

jloome
02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Maybe 117 is right and Ives TFC sources gave him the "dead deal" info to better their bargaining position with Dallas - that being if Dallas doesn't accept Mo's offer TFC can bring in a "flurry" of guys in a hurry.

The art of deception. Just saying it's plausible...

It's not impossible. It's unlikely, because Ives' source isn't going to blow a three-year press relationship just to "divert" someone. He'd be far more likely to give a no comment but promise Ives the story first when he can, so that Ives still gets a scoop but talks aren't impacted.

Hitcho
02-19-2009, 05:07 PM
^ It sounds like BMO Field is chock full of spies and double agents going by you lot! How many people is Mo really going to let into the circle though? Five? It's not like this stuff gets posted on the notice board at lunchtime. The number of people with genuine inside info is fairly limited I would think, and if anythign big breaks froim them then Mo et al will have a very short list of people to turn to, which means they are unlikely to blab too much. Therefore, these "sources" are as much guess work as we are, but relying a bit more on reading people's faces and stuff when they ask casual questions I expect.

edit 1 - agents of players i discount because thye spread shit to suit themselves and their clients

edit 2 - I know ives and others have been right on a number of things, but seriously, in this league, a lot of it is common sense and following up on hunches. Very few genuine stories have broken from these guys that we couldn't have guessed at, so they're bound to get some right and a lot wrong (which they do). Vitti was one example, and Mo was PISSED about that. Doubt it will happen again soon, at least not from inside TFC. No-one boldly predicted the De Ro signing from inside info - there were guesses, but Paul broke the news on here and it was a bomb, remember?

So chill on the "sources" people. It's all good fun, I understand that and I know people are interested to hear about it and like to share info they have and that's all good. But it's all (and I do mean all, Ives included) to be taken with a hefty sprinkling of salt for the most part.

Section 117
02-19-2009, 05:36 PM
^

So chill on the "sources" people. It's all good fun, I understand that and I know people are interested to hear about it and like to share info they have and that's all good. But it's all (and I do mean all, Ives included) to be taken with a hefty sprinkling of salt for the most part.

I completely agree with you. I only posted what I posted as I had a very long conversation with my source and he said that it wasn't BS and I truly trust him as he told me many things that have happened and later get released to the public.

As a rule I guess I should just keep info to myself and not post about what I hear. As I said earlier I hear a lot of things but I only posted what I thought to be an immenent move by our team. Not some BS that we are going to sign Edgar, Canavarro, etc...

H Bomb
02-19-2009, 05:41 PM
With all due respect to those who do, I really wish the "sourced" posters here WOULD stop the postings. as had been mentioned on here before, nothing is worse than constantly hearing about unnamed sources and behind the curtains stuff. If you've got a source, then source them, if not, keep a secret, they're fun. But all it does is send out oodles of information that either is or is not going to happen, and does nothing except begin a thread on here early. If you dont post, we dont know, and therefor dont care. I imagine i dont speak for the majority here, guess i cant quite buy into our modern ideas of journalism.

rocker
02-19-2009, 05:44 PM
if a signing happens, it happens and we'll find out from a press release on MLSNET. If we hear a rumour and it doesn't happen, how does that help us? And if it doesn't happen, it goes into the mental file of people who say TFC "missed out on Player X" or "why can't Mo sign Player Y?" even if that player never even talked to TFC.

Fiin
02-19-2009, 05:53 PM
8 pages later.. I am still having nightmares of a Velez led 3-5-2...

Hitcho
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
or worse, if it is a genuine source and news gets out, it could weaken the position of the club when it comes to signing the player in question or result in him not coming at all.

i can live with all the BS we get on here, but anything that does damage should be kept firmly out out of the public domain. there's no kudos involved in that.

Pachuco
02-19-2009, 05:54 PM
rumours and possible signings make my day enjoyable. I say keep posting them. That's the #1 reason I visit this site during the offseason. If there were no more postings, I would simply stop coming here and visit MLSRumours instead.

Hitcho
02-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I completely agree with you. I only posted what I posted as I had a very long conversation with my source and he said that it wasn't BS and I truly trust him as he told me many things that have happened and later get released to the public.

As a rule I guess I should just keep info to myself and not post about what I hear. As I said earlier I hear a lot of things but I only posted what I thought to be an immenent move by our team. Not some BS that we are going to sign Edgar, Canavarro, etc...

Fair play dude, I wasn't knocking you in any way or sugesting that your rumour had no substance to it.

That said, if you have any concerns at all that this info shouldn't be in the public domain, then keep it out. If you (or anyone) posting on here starts a ball rolling that ultimately results in Mo's hand being weakened enough that we don't sign player X, then that's got to be kept under control. People who post total BS are harmless, if a bit irritating. But people how post genuinely confidential material are potentially quite dangerous.

Hitcho
02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
rumours and possible signings make my day enjoyable. I say keep posting them. That's the #1 reason I visit this site during the offseason. If there were no more postings, I would simply stop coming here and visit MLSRumours instead.

understood, but would you rather read about a genuinely potential signign here first and then see it fall apart as a result of leaked info, or not find out until the deal is done and get the benefiot of the player? I'm not saying all posts are dangerous, but some genuinely inside info posts could be - those are the oens I am talking about.

The fun ones, which are clearly stupid or have no source attached to them claiming validity, those are harmless and entertainign and keep us all occupied (either in excitement or irritation, whichever) during the boring season.

But my worry is that there is a small, closely knit community around TFC and its fans which is great in so many ways and yet a bit of a liability in others. We just need to make sure in our excitement and eagerness to post "sourced" info that we're not stitching ourselves up, that's all.

djking2
02-19-2009, 06:30 PM
An attempt to stop the rumors would be an exercise in futility, besides I get a laugh reading all the over-reacting posters that follow a new rumor come up with new ways to say "the sky is falling. the sky is falling". Like 3-5-2. Does anybody really think Mo and Carver have even considered going with the status quo.

As Hitcho pointed out Mo was pissed about the Vitti leak and it seems to me he'd be a right bastard if he knew who the source was inside(I don't mean KJ). Combine that with the fact he will no doubt play his cards even closer to his vest and I'm guessing we'll know when Mo says so.

but my mailmans cousin lives just outside Newcastle and he says.......................

Cambridge_Red
02-19-2009, 06:34 PM
All I have to say is asschips

Ontario Arab
02-19-2009, 06:55 PM
Id have to say that nobody who has posted here as any idea what Mo gets up to during the working day..........but I do believe he is a very busy man and that we will all be surprised before its too late.........

jloome
02-19-2009, 07:16 PM
This happened today:

The Colorado Rapids (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=253163) have re-signed striker Omar Cummings and defender Ugo Ilhemelu to four-year contracts.

So maybe it's Ihemelu; he has Canadian status, which fits the tip, and he's just signed a four-year deal with the league (the kind Mo loves); he's young and they just traded Gomez for a sack of doorknobs back to DC, so they can use some offense.

Maybe we're moving someone; my immediate suggestion would be Guevara, as he and DeRo basically play the same role, but he might be more valuable than a lone central defender, so it could be a winger; Johann? Richardson can apparently play wide as well as up top and has major wheels, so maybe Smith became expendable. He's certainly very hot trade bait for a U.S.-based team.

T_Mizz
02-19-2009, 07:42 PM
I think our best trading partner would be someone who needs a keeper because we have too many, DC I think?

Pachuco
02-19-2009, 11:31 PM
understood, but would you rather read about a genuinely potential signign here first and then see it fall apart as a result of leaked info, or not find out until the deal is done and get the benefiot of the player? I'm not saying all posts are dangerous, but some genuinely inside info posts could be - those are the oens I am talking about.

The fun ones, which are clearly stupid or have no source attached to them claiming validity, those are harmless and entertainign and keep us all occupied (either in excitement or irritation, whichever) during the boring season.

But my worry is that there is a small, closely knit community around TFC and its fans which is great in so many ways and yet a bit of a liability in others. We just need to make sure in our excitement and eagerness to post "sourced" info that we're not stitching ourselves up, that's all.

Put it this way. I don't really see how that happens. I think you are describing a scenario which probably raaaarely happens. So having said that, I'll take my chances. I'd like to keep hearing about possible signings from people who have sources inside TFC. I also don't need to hear who their sources are. I get enough excitement out of my day by watching and partaking in speculations. That's just the way I am. So to answer your question, I'd rather hear about possible signings then risk the 1 off chance that a deal falls apart because of a leak. Have we even loss a single player because of a leak in TFC's existence? I doubt it, we got bigger problems, like Grass and a cap!

Ossington Mental Youth
02-19-2009, 11:41 PM
I really dont see this forum as being a downfall to potential signings.
i think we are overstating the importance of this forum in the real world

Jack
02-19-2009, 11:43 PM
I really dont see this forum as being a downfall to potential signings.
i think we are overstating the importance of this forum in the real world
You'd be surprised at who reads this board. I've had comments come from people you would never think would bother...

nfitz
02-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Sigh - doesn't David Miller have anything better to do!

Jack
02-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Sigh - doesn't David Miller have anything better to do!
Raise Deeznutz' taxes!

Pachuco
02-19-2009, 11:54 PM
You'd be surprised at who reads this board. I've had comments come from people you would never think would bother...

I don't think his point is that Mo or Carver don't read these boards. His point is the same as mine, could a deal really fall apart because it was leaked on the RPB site? I don't see it. Even if it wasn't leaked here, it will be leaked somewhere else. Therefore, I hope people keep posting leaks on this site.

Jack
02-19-2009, 11:57 PM
I don't think his point is that Mo or Carver don't read these boards. His point is the same as mine, could a deal really fall apart because it was leaked on the RPB site? I don't see it. Even if it wasn't leaked here, it will be leaked somewhere else. Therefore, I hope people keep posting leaks on this site.
I know that some of the rumour-mongers read this board and some of the big transfers have been broken here first.

Nonetheless, I agree it would be surprising if a rumour broken here ended up scuttling a deal.

jloome
02-20-2009, 12:43 AM
I know that some of the rumour-mongers read this board and some of the big transfers have been broken here first.

Nonetheless, I agree it would be surprising if a rumour broken here ended up scuttling a deal.

Potential deals here? I don't recall any. All of the deals here that I recall being reported first were already completely done, just not common knowledge yet; that means they were league approved, which means the other teams already know about them, and there's no chance of scuttling a deal.

Jack
02-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Potential deals here? I don't recall any. All of the deals here that I recall being reported first were already completely done, just not common knowledge yet; that means they were league approved, which means the other teams already know about them, and there's no chance of scuttling a deal.
Hence why I think it would be surprising :)

Hitcho
02-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Put it this way. I don't really see how that happens. I think you are describing a scenario which probably raaaarely happens. So having said that, I'll take my chances. I'd like to keep hearing about possible signings from people who have sources inside TFC. I also don't need to hear who their sources are. I get enough excitement out of my day by watching and partaking in speculations. That's just the way I am. So to answer your question, I'd rather hear about possible signings then risk the 1 off chance that a deal falls apart because of a leak. Have we even loss a single player because of a leak in TFC's existence? I doubt it, we got bigger problems, like Grass and a cap!

Probably not, no, but the Vitti deal was leaked and Mo clearly said that the deal had been made harder because of that. now I knwo that wasn't done on here, but my point is this: if people with sources "inside" TFC start posting rumours on here regularly, then the potential is there for the same thing to happen again. Say someone knows a player, or a good friend or relative of a player, and something originally said in confidence makes its way on here. The rumour gains ground, maybe more so if the likes of Molinaro who we KNOW is on here a lot recognise the poster as having made reliable posts before, and next thing you know it's public knowledge. That's an entirely feasible situation, and it could impact on the deal in question.

I'm not saying this forum is the centre of the MLS world and we're high risk candidates to fuck up good deals for TFC, and I already posted that all the fun and speculation should definitely continue for obvious reasons. All I am saying is that those people who know they have genuine information that shouldn't be made public need to bite their e-tongues and not post it on here in a fit of excitement. The rest of us can carry on gleefully citing baseless dream signings and speculative TFC targets.

T_Mizz
02-20-2009, 11:43 AM
It wasn't us who broke the potential Vitti deal was it? I thought it was Kristian Jack from the footy show?

Hitcho
02-20-2009, 02:14 PM
^ It wasn't us, no. But the point remains the same - if someone on here posts inside info from a player or whoever and the deal then hits the skids as a result, it harms the club. So, all GENUINE inside info (and thos in possession of such info will know it) should be kept off the boards IMHO. Possible rumours, things you heard from mates, intuitive postings, players you think would be sensible signings, stuff off of other rumour sites etc is all fine because there's no potential for obvious harm. But those really in the know need to keep schtum, and some people on here seem to intimate that they are, in fact, really in the know.

It's like during the second WW - loose tongues cost lives. Except here, it costs us deal brokerage!

Four 4 Two
02-20-2009, 06:37 PM
^
It's like during the second WW - loose tongues cost lives. Except here, it costs us deal brokerage!

WWII post....."Loose lips sink ships"

Sorry, couldn't let it go!

But i agree with the sentiment!

djking2
02-20-2009, 07:07 PM
It's possible the hype regarding Huckerby had a direct effect on the outcome

Ossington Mental Youth
02-20-2009, 07:43 PM
nah, Huckerby left cuz he didnt want to aggravate his injury and play on turf

jloome
02-20-2009, 07:59 PM
^ It wasn't us, no. But the point remains the same - if someone on here posts inside info from a player or whoever and the deal then hits the skids as a result, it harms the club. So, all GENUINE inside info (and thos in possession of such info will know it) should be kept off the boards IMHO. Possible rumours, things you heard from mates, intuitive postings, players you think would be sensible signings, stuff off of other rumour sites etc is all fine because there's no potential for obvious harm. But those really in the know need to keep schtum, and some people on here seem to intimate that they are, in fact, really in the know.

It's a nice sentiment, Hitcho, but after 20 years of dealing with leaks as a member of the media, it's utterly unnecessary. The likelihood of a leak on these boards scuttling something is exceptionally unlikely, and even if it exists, the sources we have aren't any better than ones others have, so the info will get out of the person leaking it wants it to get out.

You can't get everyone to keep quiet, and the usual result of attempting to do so is that people rebel and report even more info.

Hitcho
02-21-2009, 11:44 AM
It's a nice sentiment, Hitcho, but after 20 years of dealing with leaks as a member of the media, it's utterly unnecessary. The likelihood of a leak on these boards scuttling something is exceptionally unlikely, and even if it exists, the sources we have aren't any better than ones others have, so the info will get out of the person leaking it wants it to get out.

You can't get everyone to keep quiet, and the usual result of attempting to do so is that people rebel and report even more info.

I've been schooled!! :hump: :D