PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Reed-TFC Must Deal With Defeat

denime
05-26-2008, 06:05 AM
TFC Must Deal With Defeat

If the old cliché is correct, we’re about to see how far Toronto FC has really advanced.
The mark of a good team, they say, is how it responds to defeat and the Reds have some repair work on their hands. Games are coming thick and fast right now – players are hurting and others disappearing either for international duty or as a result of their own folly.
The DC defeat was costly in more ways than one and it is the task of Toronto head coach John Carver to now steady the ship before the next wave hits. He has made his soccer philosophy crystal clear in recent weeks – focus on one game at a time and pick your strongest team for every fixture. There’s nothing wrong with that attitude except, of course, your ‘strongest’ team is not always your best team.
Then there’s the issue of confidence and momentum. Just like the win in Los Angeles did not necessarily signal a new dawn, the loss in Washington should not be a cue to hit the panic button. But losing, like winning, can be habit-forming which is why Carver knows it is essential to bounce back quickly and regain the impetus that led to a six game unbeaten run. ...

read more (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/reed/2008/05/tfc_must_deal_with_defeat.html)

ACSertL
05-26-2008, 07:21 AM
I don't want to turn this into a rant about officiating because that is not what Nigel is discussing here, but I find it rather disturbing that Laurent Robert could have said anything more offensive to get sent off then Guillermo Barros Schelotto did on the 17th. Inconsistent to say the very least!

Anyways, good article by Mr. Reed. Its times like these where you find out what your team is made of. I have all the confidence in the lads going into this week's tilts with Montreal and LA. Let's see some bright things from the Smiths, the Tebilys and the Edwardses of this team!!

Roogsy
05-26-2008, 09:44 AM
That is an ridiculously good point AC...I didn't even think of that...and it only makes me more angry.

kdzb
05-26-2008, 10:03 AM
I believe MLS officials have TFC under the radar now and they will not have any pitty on our player for whatever reason to apply the rules to the T.
All that , because Carver put them against the wall with their lack of passion for the game and it looks like Don Gaber and a couple of known media outlets sided with Carver on that issue.
I just hope this grudge from the referees will not put our players on the spot for the rest of the season.
I'm not trying to find excuses for Robert's behaviour, I think of all the professionals players that were on the pitch last Saturday, Robert is one of the veterans and he should known better.

ACSertL
05-26-2008, 10:38 AM
Like I said, I didn't want to turn this into a rant against MLS officials, so if Robert deserved a sending off that is fine by me, I just want some consistency. Granted I don't think it was the same official in both games, but dissent is dissent and if it is punishable by a booking or sending off so be it. But I guess reputation does matter...

More to the point is that Robert's actions put us in a bit of a hole for the game against the Galaxy, but our team depth should be able to cope; we'll get a good look at Jerrod Smith for the lion's share of the game I would bet. I'd also be a lot more concerned if this game was away. One loss in the last 7 is excellent, the main focus should be the 1 win out of 4 on the road.

James17930
05-26-2008, 10:46 AM
I am still so mad about Saturday's game I want to rip a cute puppy's head off.

Detroit_TFC
05-26-2008, 02:34 PM
All good points by Reed.

Between Reed, Knight, Millson, etc, there is a variety of good football commentary in the TO press. Very impressive.

Lucky Strike
05-29-2008, 12:19 AM
http://web.mlsnet.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2008/shows/mls/052808_extratime_ep55_final_350.wmv&w_id=20826&catCode=shows&type=v_free&_mp=1

Meh... Nothing really new to learn this week. Morrow fired, DC potentially back on track, licking Beckham's feet, admiring Blanco el Douche, and they still have no clue about TFC. They doubt Greg Sutton's ability. We know better, and that's all that matters.

CretanBull
05-29-2008, 01:19 AM
I watched the first 30 seconds and all the talked about were the Galaxy and Beckham. Again. Why is it called "MLS Extra Time"? Why don't they call it what it is "Extra Galaxy and Beckham Promo"?

denime
05-29-2008, 06:01 AM
Merged