PDA

View Full Version : Legend TFC 2.0

BFin
02-12-2009, 07:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB4iAyw_O48

Enjoy. Little Montage dedicated to 2009.

Laurignano
02-12-2009, 07:29 PM
?? lol

BFin
02-12-2009, 07:31 PM
little initial problem. check again lol.

Nerepis
02-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Great Job! I love this song. Thanks.

werewolf
02-12-2009, 07:37 PM

So does Danny Dichio.

BFin
02-12-2009, 07:40 PM
So does Danny Dichio.
That's because he IS the legend TFC

simon
02-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Nice

Nerepis
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
So does Danny Dichio.

The pic of Danny at the very end of the video rocks. The only way to improve the video is, more flying seat cushions. :D

BuSaPuNk
02-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Love this song. Great Video. Is it time for Columbus yet?

DOMIN8R
02-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Goose Bumps

TFC Via Buffalo
02-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Love this song. Great Video. Is it time for Columbus yet?

Nope. But KC is coming up even closer.

BuSaPuNk
02-13-2009, 11:35 AM
^ That it is. God i'm even excited about the Carolina Cup games.....the season can't start soon enough!!

martina
02-13-2009, 11:58 AM
good job... how many more sleeps? ah yes 32

TFC Via Buffalo
02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
^ That it is. God i'm even excited about the Carolina Cup games.....the season can't start soon enough!!

Dang. Forgot about those. I wish I could go, but I think I'm getting a good enough head start going to KC and Hell On Earth, OH.

Bobo
02-13-2009, 02:10 PM
I think I prefer the original Legend TFC more. Still a goosebump version though! :D

Roogsy
02-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Fantastic!

I have driven my wife mad playing this on my ipod.

Roogsy
02-13-2009, 02:16 PM
I need an mp3 of version 2.0!

BFin
02-13-2009, 03:43 PM
I think I prefer the original Legend TFC more. Still a goosebump version though! :D
Ummm...this is the original.
hahah I got the MP3 directly from the Red City Ramblers. I believe they sent me the single version of the song they recorded.
It is 2.0 because it has the montage instead of just the crest.

I can send you the MP3 I have if you guys want, just PM me and I will forward you over the file. OR if you have a video MP3 player and want the full video with pics and song, I can send that too.

Roogsy
02-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Ummm...this is the original.
hahah I got the MP3 directly from the Red City Ramblers. I believe they sent me the single version of the song they recorded.
It is 2.0 because it has the montage instead of just the crest.

I can send you the MP3 I have if you guys want, just PM me and I will forward you over the file. OR if you have a video MP3 player and want the full video with pics and song, I can send that too.

No sir...I have the original. This is not the original. This is a new recording.

BFin
02-13-2009, 03:58 PM
No sir...I have the original. This is not the original. This is a new recording.
Hmmm okay then, send me your email in a PM and I will forward my 'new' version. Sounded the exact same as the other one on youtube to me?

Inklink
02-13-2009, 05:27 PM
good job... how many more sleeps? ah yes 32

I'm thinking of a way to combine sleeps, so I can sleep 2 days in a row and thus reduce that number :o

starrynightnf
02-13-2009, 05:50 PM
oh that fucking rocks! nice :)

RPLProducer
02-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes this is in fact a second recording of the song that we did with mandolin and a little more production. If anyone wants the mp3 feel free to pm me your email address... That goes for you too roogsy!!!

Awesome video bfin... Total goosebumps brother!

James Oliphant
02-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Ugh...this song just tries too fuckin' hard.

Sorry, still don't like it.

Sid
02-13-2009, 11:29 PM
i want to hear it at Columbus as the boys come on the Feild

Brooker
02-14-2009, 03:35 AM
i got a semi

Daveisonfire
02-14-2009, 11:10 AM
What about NEE?

BFin
02-14-2009, 11:15 AM
unfortunately people were missed. I will revise the list of supporters groups at some point, but to be honest with you, putting pictures to match words at the exact time was enough work for me.

FluSH
02-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Yes this is in fact a second recording of the song that we did with mandolin and a little more production. If anyone wants the mp3 feel free to pm me your email address... That goes for you too roogsy!!!

I'll take an MP3 of this... I'll send you my email addy

Workie
02-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Goddam Love this version too!

Ready for the season to start!
Great work on the Vid!

Captain Croatia
02-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Have we thought about making that song our Anthem? Game day songs, it would be fucking insane. It's not easy, but one day, one day..........

Sick vid BTW

Bloor West FC
02-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Great version! Can we start the season today lol. My blood is boiling. And I almost just purchased tickets to Utah LOL.

Workie
02-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Have we thought about making that song our Anthem? Game day songs, it would be fucking insane. It's not easy, but one day, one day..........

Sick vid BTW

Gotta watch that word people get testy. :D
All will come to pass in time. I just wish time would pass faster.

The Kingpin
02-14-2009, 03:33 PM
ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!

Well if gets people testy....

FluSH
02-14-2009, 08:40 PM
I just checked out the video... not bad. I prefer the tempo better on the original for some reason.

pimpslapt
02-15-2009, 03:05 AM

i'm happy someone finally said it, trying too hard......its a concept most tfc supporters need to grasp,

yes we're GOOD supporters, but trying too hard more or less defines Toronto FC support...sorry.....but its true, myself included

Batman
02-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Fantastic. We've got to get this to Carver to play for the boys. It should be played before every game!

Hustle
02-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Fantastic. We've got to get this to Carver to play for the boys. It should be played before every game!

Yes....thats a good idea...I think they would like it too for the dressing room.

BFin
02-15-2009, 02:35 PM
i'm happy someone finally said it, trying too hard......its a concept most tfc supporters need to grasp,

yes we're GOOD supporters, but trying too hard more or less defines Toronto FC support...sorry.....but its true, myself included
and the problem with that is?
It's better than half assing it.

James Oliphant
02-15-2009, 03:09 PM
and the problem with that is?
It's better than half assing it.

When it comes to this song (because I don't fully agree with pimpslapt's assessment of TFC fans in general), the problem is that it's trying too hard to be anthemic. It wants to be "You'll Never Walk Alone" (especially in the "boys on the field" part).

The title of the song says it all. Without even pointing out the obvious grammatical flaws in the phrase "The Legend TFC", what exactly is the legend?

This is what the lyrics remind me of...
mJVbBXf2wlY

FluSH
02-15-2009, 04:18 PM
When it comes to this song (because I don't fully agree with pimpslapt's assessment of TFC fans in general), the problem is that it's trying too hard to be anthemic. It wants to be "You'll Never Walk Alone" (especially in the "boys on the field" part).

The title of the song says it all. Without even pointing out the obvious grammatical flaws in the phrase "The Legend TFC", what exactly is the legend?

The thing is you may reference it to YNWA... but there is alot of TFC fans out there that have never even heard of YNWA... we do not all have English or EPL roots. I've never heard YNWA in my life.

Now you're looking at grammatical flaws... tisk tisk you ever listen to Hip Hop? or Reggae?

Just let it be... Music is Music... it's an art... not a damn freaking University paper for someone to look for grammar errors and plagiarism.

Batman
02-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Absolutely. Why nit pick.

It sounds great, it feels great. 20000 of us breaking out in this once every game would eventually become "The LEGEND TFC!"

James Oliphant
02-15-2009, 05:44 PM
The thing is you may reference it to YNWA... but there is alot of TFC fans out there that have never even heard of YNWA... we do not all have English or EPL roots. I've never heard YNWA in my life.

Now you're looking at grammatical flaws... tisk tisk you ever listen to Hip Hop? or Reggae?

Just let it be... Music is Music... it's an art... not a damn freaking University paper for someone to look for grammar errors and plagiarism.

You might have noticed I said "Without even pointing out the obvious grammatical flaws"...

Also, what does the fact that you've never heard YNWA in your life have to do with this song borrowing heavily from its structure in parts? Talk about a non sequitur.

Look, I'm not saying you shouldn't sing it if you don't like it. You'll notice that by reading my posts. I'm simply saying I think it's an overwrought, self-aggrandizingly shitty song written for the sole purpose of being overwrought and self-aggrandizing.

Everyone who likes it is allowed to say it "gives them goosebumps", why am I not allowed to say it makes me want to hurl without fear of reprisal?

FluSH
02-15-2009, 07:20 PM
You might have noticed I said "Without even pointing out the obvious grammatical flaws"...

Also, what does the fact that you've never heard YNWA in your life have to do with this song borrowing heavily from its structure in parts? Talk about a non sequitur.

Look, I'm not saying you shouldn't sing it if you don't like it. You'll notice that by reading my posts. I'm simply saying I think it's an overwrought, self-aggrandizingly shitty song written for the sole purpose of being overwrought and self-aggrandizing.

Everyone who likes it is allowed to say it "gives them goosebumps", why am I not allowed to say it makes me want to hurl without fear of reprisal?

Ok, "wihout even pointing out the obvious grammatical" flaws...

My point of YNWA, is that just because you are making a connection it doesn't mean others are... or ever will. This song was not meant for you... and I've never said you don't have the right to say you don't like the song (talk about non sequitur).

Heck, I don't like My Town and everyone around here does... but if you expect to be a critic when you haven't done any better, expect to have your T.A. notes criticized as well. A simply fcuk I don't like the song is all that you need at times.

James Oliphant
02-15-2009, 08:03 PM
A simply fcuk I don't like the song is all that you need at times.

Which is exactly what this started out as, until that view was questioned.

FluSH
02-15-2009, 08:14 PM
Which is exactly what this started out as, until that view was questioned.

exactly... which is why I never jumped on you until York U T.A. came out...

James Oliphant
02-15-2009, 08:28 PM
So what you're saying is it's best not to back up your argument when someone questions you on it. Okay, that makes sense. I'll bear that in mind the next time my view is a dissenting one.

I'll also be sure to write a replacement song for the one I dislike, as that's apparently a pre-requisite for critique.

:rolleyes:

My lessons now well-learned, I'm done with this thread.

werewolf
02-15-2009, 08:30 PM

So does Danny Dichio.

:michael:

FluSH
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
So what you're saying is it's best not to back up your argument when someone questions you on it. Okay, that makes sense. I'll bear that in mind the next time my view is a dissenting one.

I'll also be sure to write a replacement song for the one I dislike, as that's apparently a pre-requisite for critique.

:rolleyes:

Your words man, not mine.

Listen,

I think what people tend to forget is that actual supporters took the time and effort to make this... It's not some band with a record deal playing on the radio.

Honestly, If I made that song, regardless of whether it's good or not... I would tell you to fuck off...

If you don't like something that's perfectly fine... shit I don't like alot of shit around here... but if you are going to write an in depth post on why you think the song is not good... expect criticism on your review as well (this is not a new phenomenon... just visit any music forum if you don't believe me).

I make banners... that's what I do. Yet, you won't see me breaking down someone's banner idea like I'm a snotty banner professor...and if I ever do or people perceive my post as such... at the very least I can say that I've gotten my hands dirty.

The ironic part is that I think your posts are trying to hard... kind of like your review of the song.

H Bomb
02-15-2009, 08:48 PM
fuck sake, someone just delete the last half of this page would ya....

canadian_bhoy
02-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Somehow I seem to have hacked in a sequence of pm's between James and flush! :D

starrynightnf
02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Annnyway.... I like the song. :D

Nerepis
02-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Annnyway.... I like the song. :D

Great, a voice from the rock, now if we can find a RPB from British Columbia who likes it we can say it has fans from coast to coast and beyond. :hurray:

DOMIN8R
02-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Since when did criticizing something become politically incorrect on this board? I like the song – and I’m no fucking connoisseur. Someone else doesn’t – that’s cool. It can be said. Apparently, a few others feel the same way.

Besides, some of your banners suck FluSH and some of my posts suck even harder. And I’ve been told my posts have sucked. I don’t like it. But I try not to take it personally.

In fact, I’m glad this forum is a place that you can tell me that my posts suck. I wouldn’t want it any other way. If I did, I would go to another board.

Captain Croatia
02-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Anthem Anthem Anthem!!!!

LOL, personally love this song that i had to post it again.

I can just imagine everyone singing it:drinking::canada::drunk:(Where the hell is the flare emotion?!?!?!)

starrynightnf
02-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Great, a voice from the rock, now if we can find a RPB from British Columbia who likes it we can say it has fans from coast to coast and beyond. :hurray:

hahahaha there has to be at least one BC RPB who likes it!

Workie
02-15-2009, 10:04 PM
ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM !!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!! ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!AN THEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTH EM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!ANTHEM!!

Well if gets people testy....

See What did I tell ya..... :D

Workie
02-15-2009, 10:25 PM
Somehow I seem to have hacked in a sequence of pm's between James and flush! :D

I'll get the pop corn.. This might get interesting. :drinking:

KdotOdot
02-15-2009, 11:29 PM
I still haven't decided if I like it. Maybe if someone who can actually sing, sings it I might like it. I don't know. I kindda like it, but then when he says "Legend TFC" it sounds like Kermit the frog and it just throws me for a loop.

I feel the same way about my town except vice versa.

I mean what if we could get Glass Tiger guy to sing Legend TFC. NOW that would be something.

I give it a sold 7.3 out of 10.4 because it sounds better recorded than the first one. But the same Kermit ass voice.

I

the-lower-eastsider
02-15-2009, 11:42 PM
the song sucks. period.

Whoop
02-15-2009, 11:48 PM
I think it tries too hard.

But if everyone sings it I will also sing it.

the-lower-eastsider
02-15-2009, 11:49 PM

i am 110% with u james. but who else is with us? add name here. stand up and be counted. those of u that have the guts to take on the status quo that is.
lumpy

the-lower-eastsider
02-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I think it tries too hard.

But if everyone sings it I will also sing it.
anyone with half a brain senses that this song tries too hard. its painfully obvious. and i've said this from the get-go. this "tries too hard" thing keeps coming up. what does that tell u? when are the rest of u gonna realize this? u can make version 3.0 and 4.0. and the song is still gonna suck. it all went wrong at "legend" TFC.
lumpy

J .
02-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Ill go with what craiger says on this one. He sums it up nicely.

the-lower-eastsider
02-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Ill go with what craiger says on this one. He sums it up nicely.
id call u if i coulkd read ur #? all i have is is 805 blah blah blah..

GeorgeB
02-16-2009, 03:38 PM
i am 110% with u james. but who else is with us? add name here. stand up and be counted. those of u that have the guts to take on the status quo that is.
lumpyadding my name.i dont like it at all but i do respect the efforts of the people that put it together.

Roogsy
02-16-2009, 11:35 PM

PM sent Alex...

Roogsy
02-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Gotta watch that word people get testy. :D
All will come to pass in time. I just wish time would pass faster.

Testy huh?

http://befuddled.ca/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/testicles.jpg

Roogsy
02-16-2009, 11:47 PM
I dunno what "tries too hard" means but I can only assume you guys mean it's trying to be an anthem and an anthem shouldn't try to be an anthem?

Either way...I just judge a song based on what it makes me feel. If this song doesn't move you...that's fine. I highly doubt when YNWA started being used that every single Liverpool supporter loved it either. It isn't a particuarly good song.

And if Legend...or any other song...ever does become a TFC anthem, I doubt it will have unanimous support from every corner of TFC fandom.

What I do know is that for now...we have a limited reportoire of songs either TFC related or even chantable at TFC games. So my suggestion is always...either put up a better option, or choose to sing along or shut up.

ExiledRed
02-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I dunno what "tries too hard" means but I can only assume you guys mean it's trying to be an anthem and an anthem shouldn't try to be an anthem?

Either way...I just judge a song based on what it makes me feel. If this song doesn't move you...that's fine. I highly doubt when YNWA started being used that every single Liverpool supporter loved it either. It isn't a particuarly good song.

a) When YNWA was sung first, it was number one in the british charts. The singer was a well known scouser, it was played on the radio every day ten times, consequently everybody knew the words without having to get a free CD at the gate or read from a songsheet.
The song wasn't immediately chosen as an anthem, it became one because it sounded so powerful when it was sung, To this day, I don't know anybody of that generation who didn't like it, and they'd have been an irrelevant few anyway.

b) It's an excellent song.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 12:01 AM
So you're saying it was unanimous? 100% of the fans in the stadium liked it at the time? From the 15 year old to the 60 year old? All women and children? All men? None that it was too "popular", "emotional"? Any other reason? I find that incredibly hard to believe.

Where did you see me write that it wasn't a popular song?

So I assume if we have a #1 pop song by a Toronto artist we can simply adopt it as TFC's anthem. Case closed. Thanks.

That's the most ridiculous argument, sorry Exiled. Your post does nothing to dispell the point that no song ANYWHERE has ever received unanimous support. Not even the most popular songs in history has it's detractors, let alone a song that barely made the charts for a little while. The fact that YNWA these days is only known in soccer circles (and the argument is that usually known only in english-speaking soccer circles) should point to the "quality" of the song. Most ethnic groups have never even heard of the song.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 12:03 AM
To this day, I don't know anybody of that generation who didn't like it, and they'd have been an irrelevant few anyway.

This is the most important (and most relevant) part of your post.

By the way...it was written by Rodgers and Hammerstein...Americans.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 12:13 AM
What's ridiculous? Why are you so defensive?

I'm trying to illustrate how the song 'became' the anthem, because it was well known, part of a repetoire of merseybeat songs that were sung exclusively at anfield, and that it's status grew to 'anthem' because it was the one song that allowed everybody to hold their scarfs over their heads and rock side to side very slowly.

It also became the anthem because it was popular among the singers, and not because of a free CD, a songsheet, internet cliques, or because a minority kept banging it out and scorning those who didnt sing it. Nobody said "this is our anthem, if you don't like it, too bad" it just happened, without anybody 'trying too hard'

People keep bringing up YNWA as a comparison, and I'm just saying it's a poor example to dig up because the situation that created it was completely different.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 12:14 AM

Are you trying to educate me here?

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 12:18 AM
You wrote your response in reply to my post that

a) I doubted every single Liverpool supporter loved it (which I have not seen any proof otherwise, yeah it was popular, it doesn't make it unanimous)
b) I stated it wasn't a very good song (which funny enough in a thread that argues about opinion, is my own personal opinion)

And yet it STILL became an anthem.

So my point is that regardless of whatever song(s) eventually becomes an "anthem" for TFC, people should forget about unanimous support. It will eventually be decided by a majority of people who will insist on singing it regardless of the naysayers.

Whoop
02-17-2009, 12:22 AM
This is the most important (and most relevant) part of your post.

But it was sung by Gerry & The Pacemakers... from Liverpool. #1 on the UK charts in October 1963.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-17-2009, 12:29 AM
Celtic Supporters were singing it in the 50's.....they truley walked alone first!.. ;)

little fule to the fire..... :drinking:

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 12:31 AM
You wrote your response in reply to my post that

a) I doubted every single Liverpool supporter loved it (which I have not seen any proof otherwise, yeah it was popular, it doesn't make it unanimous)
b) I stated it wasn't a very good song (which funny enough in a thread that argues about opinion, is my own personal opinion)

And yet it STILL became an anthem.

So my point is that regardless of whatever song(s) eventually becomes an "anthem" for TFC, people should forget about unanimous support. It will eventually be decided by a majority of people who will insist on singing it regardless of the naysayers.

I never said it was unanimously liked, I'm saying a vast majority liked it and were prepared to sing it and that is not true for Legend.

I'm also saying that if you bring up YNWA as an example as to why this song should work, or shouldn't work, you should also take into account the culture and time period, or your argument is likely to fail.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Celtic Supporters were singing it in the 50's.....they truley walked alone first!.. ;)

little fule to the fire..... :drinking:

You're full of shit red :)

I really believe those working class glaswegians were digging up 'Rodgers and Hammerstein' musicals for lyrics for their drinking songs.

The song was sung in the fifties at Old Trafford, by a female singer who was paying tribute to the Munich disaster, but that wasn't broadcast to Scotland.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 12:36 AM
My argument does not fail unless the point that I bring up is countered, which so far it has not been.

I am not discussing culture or time period. If I was, I would have made those points.

I was discussing the point of whether that song or any song will ever be unanimously liked. And unless you can prove that YNWA was unanimously chosen as an anthem, then you are essentially proving my point for me.

Yes...there were dozens of reasons why YNWA was indeed chosen, find me a place where I argue against those facts? When comparing two separate situations to find similarities, if at any point you take it to an extreme and decide to compare every single facet, then no situation can ever be compared to another because nothing ever happens the exact same way twice. Whatever song will eventually be used in Toronto, it will not happen the same way as YNWA was chosen for Liverpool...or Celtic for that matter. Can you at least accept that fact? Or should we be on the lookout for a Toronto native topping the charts with a cover song from an American musical?

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 12:52 AM
My argument does not fail unless the point that I bring up is countered, which so far it has not been.

I am not discussing culture or time period. If I was, I would have made those points.

I was discussing the point of whether that song or any song will ever be unanimously liked. And unless you can prove that YNWA was unanimously chosen as an anthem, then you are essentially proving my point for me.

Yes...there were dozens of reasons why YNWA was indeed chosen, find me a place where I argue against those facts? When comparing two separate situations to find similarities, if at any point you take it to an extreme and decide to compare every single facet, then no situation can ever be compared to another because nothing ever happens the exact same way twice. Whatever song will eventually be used in Toronto, it will not happen the same way as YNWA was chosen for Liverpool...or Celtic for that matter. Can you at least accept that fact? Or should we be on the lookout for a Toronto native topping the charts with a cover song from an American musical?

I accepted a long time ago that we are not going to come up with songs in the same way that Liverpool supporters do, the mentality is completely different.

Your point as I have interpreted it is: that it shouldn't matter that Legend is not unaminously liked, because you dont think YNWA was.

I am going to reiterate this a poor argument, because legend doesn't have the foundation that YNWA had.

I might argue that 'My Town' has a better foundation for 'anthem' and is more likely to succeed because plenty of people already know it and don't need a songsheet to sing the very short chorus that is used.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 12:57 AM
I am going to reiterate this a poor argument, because legend doesn't have the foundation that YNWA had.

Show me another football anthem that had the same "foundation" as YNWA then we can talk about whether that has any relevance to my point.

Whoop
02-17-2009, 12:57 AM
At the end of the day, it will happen naturally.

It will end up being a popular song that almost everyone knows the lyrics to. Most club "anthems", i.e. YNWA or I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles, are based on popular songs from a particular era that were picked up by the supporters. Or based on a melody of a popular song. Our most popular chants are based on melodies of popular songs and/or tunes. That's the easiest way to ensure that a lot of people sing it.

But like I stated previously if the majority of the stadium sings it, I would join along. Personally, I prefer(red) My Town but again for most it didn't fly.

One day there will be a song that will describe a particular moment in time that will sum up everything nicely and people will pick up on it.

I would say our "anthem" in reality right now is "O Canada." Everyone knows it and everyone sings along.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Funny enough, the Canadian anthem was pretty much imposed on Canadians.

Anthems come about in many different ways.

Whoop
02-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I might argue that 'My Town' has a better foundation for 'anthem' and is more likely to succeed because plenty of people already know it and don't need a songsheet to sing the very short chorus that is used.

I concur.

The problem is that the song reached it's peak back in the 80s.

For example, if that song was released in the summer of '07 or '08, it would have had a better chance. It would be playing on radio stations across Toronto, possibly being played in the stadium before the game. And people would pick up on it.

Odds are it will be some Brit pop song that will end up being our anthem.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 01:04 AM
And it will be a unanimous choice right?

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 01:05 AM
I concur.

The problem is that the song reached it's peak back in the 80s.

For example, if that song was released in the summer of '07 or '08, it would have had a better chance. It would be playing on radio stations across Toronto, possibly being played in the stadium before the game. And people would pick up on it.

Popular music is too fragmented across specialised audiences for this to be true. In the eighties we all heard the same music on the radio, and MTV. These days we have many different outlets, and choose accordingly.

Whoop
02-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Funny enough, the Canadian anthem was pretty much imposed on Canadians.

Agreed, but again, the melody was based on the French version. And students from across Canada were forced to sign it every morning and to learn the lyrics. Which would be similar to being on the radio every day at the top of the charts.

But we have the same debate over this song over and over again.

The "anthem" will end up being a song that won't be proposed on a message board.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Show me another football anthem that had the same "foundation" as YNWA then we can talk about whether that has any relevance to my point.

Blue Moon - Manchester City

Want another?

Whoop
02-17-2009, 01:07 AM
And it will be a unanimous choice right?

More than likely not, but it will be more than 5% of the stadium.

Whoop
02-17-2009, 01:08 AM
Popular music is too fragmented across specialised audiences for this to be true. In the eighties we all heard the same music on the radio, and MTV. These days we have many different outlets, and choose accordingly.

Agreed.

Again, I'm not so worried about finding an "anthem".

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 01:14 AM
Besides Roogs, I never suggested our song HAD to have the same foundation.

I was simply highlighting the weak comparison you were making between 'legend' and YNWA.

You were the one who bought it up, not me.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Agreed.

Again, I'm not so worried about finding an "anthem".

What frightens me, is that if we sit back and wait for the anthem to manifest, as I believe we should.

The frantic 5% start gnashing their teeth, handing out songsheets, lobbying on the internet and damn well INSISTING that we sing their song because they don't feel like proper supporters unless they have an anthem.

the-lower-eastsider
02-17-2009, 02:49 AM
What frightens me, is that if we sit back and wait for the anthem to manifest, as I believe we should.

The frantic 5% start gnashing their teeth, handing out songsheets, lobbying on the internet and damn well INSISTING that we sing their song because they don't feel like proper supporters unless they have an anthem.
bingo! exiled's right. and whoopee's right too. dont know why your gettin your tail up so much roogs. Q. Why the eff are we so worried about having an anthem anyway? here's an idea: why dont we worry about whats on the pitch first. the last thing on my mind is an anthem. the first thing on my mind is winnin' games.
here's the deal:
"my town" sucks
"the legend TFC" sucks even worse
when someone wants to get back to talkin football. let me know.
lumpy

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 03:17 AM

Want another?

Using your own standards, you have not met the criteria.

The Marcels (whose version the City fans based their selection) were not even English, let alone from Manchester. Unlike Gerry and the Pacemakers who you suggested (and I have not looked it up) were "scousers".

Besides Roogs, I never suggested our song HAD to have the same foundation.

I was simply highlighting the weak comparison you were making between 'legend' and YNWA.

You were the one who bought it up, not me.

Of course you did. Allow me to quote.

Wow ER...and that was barely an hour ago.

To use your own words...fail.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 03:23 AM
bingo! exiled's right. and whoopee's right too. dont know why your gettin your tail up so much roogs. Q. Why the eff are we so worried about having an anthem anyway? here's an idea: why dont we worry about whats on the pitch first. the last thing on my mind is an anthem. the first thing on my mind is winnin' games.
here's the deal:
"my town" sucks
"the legend TFC" sucks even worse
when someone wants to get back to talkin football. let me know.
lumpy

I am not worried about an anthem. I am just pointing out the stupidity of expecting everyone to like whatever songs ever get suggested. If a group of people like a song...sing it. If it is meant to become an anthem, it will happen progressively, whatever song it is. Whatever happens, you shouldn't let someone else not liking a song stop you from singing it for your team if you want.

The guys who wrote and performed "Legend" and "12th of May" and "We are Red" and all the other songs that were produced last year weren't trying to convince 20k people at BMO Field to make their song "the" anthem. They just wanted to show their love for the team amd used music to do so. Some people on the board liked it enough to suggest it could become and anthem (the audacity! :eek: ) and since them, every single one of you who hasn't liked whichever song is being discussed has accused the other side of "forcing" this as "the" anthem for TFC when the plain fact of the matter is that it's just a song that some people like. Apparently even the suggestion that a song that isn't a pop song could ever be considered even the slightest degree gets your panties in a bunch. Nobody is trying to "create" an anthem, everyone agrees it will happen organically. End of story. Can someone tell me where my line of reasoning here is flawed? Because I would certainly love someone to explain it me.

And if this discussion is not to your liking...nobody is holding a gun to your head to participate. As far as I can tell, this is footy related. Don't think there is enough footy? Start a thread on something you think is.

BFin
02-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Wow all of this out of me putting a montage to a song that's been around for a while.

Just a suggestion, but if you don't like this song, then just suggest another one. No one is going to like every song that is played on the interwebz, so there is no need to get our panties all twisted here, just say which one you like, and if there isn't a song out there that you do like...well then too bad. Because you probably wont like WHATEVER is chosen anyway.

Where is the love people? Yesterday was FAMILY DAY!

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Wow all of this out of me putting a montage to a song that's been around for a while.

Just a suggestion, but if you don't like this song, then just suggest another one. No one is going to like every song that is played on the interwebz, so there is no need to get our panties all twisted here, just say which one you like, and if there isn't a song out there that you do like...well then too bad. Because you probably wont like WHATEVER is chosen anyway.

Where is the love people? Yesterday was FAMILY DAY!

It seems like every time songs get posted, people get worried about the songs being "pushed" as anthems.

Personally, I think that both the "anthem pushers" and the "haters" need to chill out a bit. It's just a song.

If the people who wrote the songs we saying "here is a song I wrote in the hope that it would be the TFC anthem" then that's different - that's more of a debate.

But geez, the guys just wrote a song for a contest and hoped that people would like it. I don't see why that gets so many people all hot and bothered.

Anyway - I thought you vid was great

And Craiger - just over 30 days till the season starts! Holy crap! it's gonna be awesome!!!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-17-2009, 09:52 AM
It seems like every time songs get posted, people get worried about the songs being "pushed" as anthems.

Personally, I think that both the "anthem pushers" and the "haters" need to chill out a bit. It's just a song.

If the people who wrote the songs we saying "here is a song I wrote in the hope that it would be the TFC anthem" then that's different - that's more of a debate.

But geez, the guys just wrote a song for a contest and hoped that people would like it. I don't see why that gets so many people all hot and bothered.

Anyway - I thought you vid was great

And Craiger - just over 30 days till the season starts! Holy crap! it's gonna be awesome!!!!!

foooooooking EH!! :)

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/796/37159530ce0.jpg (http://www.imagehosting.com/)

H Bomb
02-17-2009, 10:06 AM

Want another?

This is something people dont seem to get over here. Almost every English club has an anthem that means as much to them as YNWA does. We hear about that one because Liverpuds make sure they're always talking about their team and it's on TV a lot. Not that it isn't a good thing, but anthems are anthems...they're everywhere, with equal standing

olegunnar
02-17-2009, 10:14 AM

What was the point of the contest?
I'm old and my memory is spotty.

Pigfynn
02-17-2009, 10:17 AM
I hope more people write more songs and sing about TFC more. If anyone has a problem with people making up songs about TFC then that's just retarded.

Never has anyone who has written this song or any other TFC song said "it should be an anthem"

Relax

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Using your own standards, you have not met the criteria.

The Marcels (whose version the City fans based their selection) were not even English, let alone from Manchester. Unlike Gerry and the Pacemakers who you suggested (and I have not looked it up) were "scousers".

Of course you did. Allow me to quote.

Wow ER...and that was barely an hour ago.

To use your own words...fail.

Roogsy,

This argument has become absurd, and it's all because you're splitting hairs and nitpicking things out of context.

I really hate backtracking over the argument like you seem to be doing, in a weirdly defensive fashion I might add,
"I said this and then you said that, so what I meant was this and your response must have meant that...."

Blue Moon was an already popular song that everybody had heard before, that is a foundation, and that is why it was so easily adopted. The nationality of the singer is irrelevant, in YNWA's case, the fact that Gerry Marsden was scouse helped enormously.

YNWA was not resisted in the way the Legend is, because the fans of the time took the song to heart, and sang a whole bunch of other merseybeat songs at a time nobody else was doing this. I didnt say that Toronto's song had to be sung by a native, and picking through my words trying to prove I did, does not further your point.

If you are going to say, "not everybody liked YNWA and therefore it doesn't matter that not everybody likes 'Legend'"

Then I am going to highlight why the analogy is weak, by illustrating the many other things YNWA had going for it, that Legend doesn't.

I have not once, in this thread, stated that Toronto fans will or should emulate Liverpool in how they come up with songs (though I dont believe it would hurt, given that the Kop does it as good as anyone)

I have already made the point that it probably won't come from a #1 song, due to the fragmentation of popular music.

Finally, where in that quote of mine does it say I believe that Toronto's song HAS to have the same foundation? It states that YNWA had a better foundation among the people who sang it than Legend does with TFC supporters, that is all.

Why not further your own point, rather than being pedantic and trying to discredit mine?

OneLoveOneEric
02-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Every now and then I wander on to this forum and feel like somebody crossed the GhostBusters zappers, or maybe put too many gigawatts in the flux capacitor, and we're all stuck spinning through the same frickin' moment in time for the rest of forever :)

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 10:27 AM
I hope more people write more songs and sing about TFC more. If anyone has a problem with people making up songs about TFC then that's just retarded.

Never has anyone who has written this song or any other TFC song said "it should be an anthem"

Relax

Agreed. The more songs the better - if people don't like Legend TFC, grab a guitar and some friends and make something on your own. I bet people will love that song too!

The contest for those who didn't know was a song contest on our MB over a year ago. Basically, people were encouraged to write and record original tracks for TFC with a prize for the winner. It was great and we really got some good submissions including Are You Red, Legend TFC, 40 Bevies and Standing in our Shadow.

Maybe it's time to run another one!!! :D

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Doesn't bother me at all. Like GeorgeB I respect the efforts of the performers and enjoy their style of music.

What bothers me is the "It doesn't matter how many people don't like it" argument, of course it matters.
If 90% of the stadium hate it and dont sing it, or dont bother to learn it, then it fails.

FluSH
02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I am glad to see that we are getting back in form for the new season =P

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:38 AM
I am glad to see that we are getting back in form for the new season =P

Can we change the bounce?

It should be about DeRo. :)

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Doesn't bother me at all. Like GeorgeB I respect the efforts of the performers and enjoy their style of music.

What bothers me is the "It doesn't matter how many people don't like it" argument, of course it matters.
If 90% of the stadium hate it and dont sing it, or dont bother to learn it, then it fails.

To be fair - I would bet that 80 - 90% of the people that visit BMO each week have never heard Legend TFC or some of the other tracks.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
He came back home to wear the red, Dero, Dero
Toronto is my town he said, Dero, Dero
And now he plays for TFC
He'll lead us on to victory
And the reds go marching on to victory

?????

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Every now and then I wander on to this forum and feel like somebody crossed the GhostBusters zappers, or maybe put too many gigawatts in the flux capacitor, and we're all stuck spinning through the same frickin' moment in time for the rest of forever :)

Total protonic reversal...

http://bornandbreded.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/crossed.jpg

BFin
02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
This thread Bogarting brought to you by ExiledRed
:hump:

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:43 AM
To be fair - I would bet that 80 - 90% of the people that visit BMO each week have never heard Legend TFC or some of the other tracks.

But of those who have heard it, we seem to be split down the middle.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:44 AM
This thread Bogarting brought to you by ExiledRed
:hump:

give it a rest, if someone is going to nitpick every single point I make, and repeatedly quote me, what am I supposed to do?

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Can we change the bounce?

It should be about DeRo. :)

give it a rest, if someone is going to nitpick every single point I make, and repeatedly quote me, what am I supposed to do?

Don't worry, they did it to me as well.. hence why I stopped posting here. It's useless as people don't listen. :D

BFin
02-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Not care like the rest of us?

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 10:46 AM
But of those who have heard it, we seem to be split down the middle.

This statement is based on what exactly?

Seriously...I don't care if people like or don't like this song or whatever other song. I just hate statements that have no foundation whatsoever.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:47 AM
This statement is based on what exactly?

Seriously...I don't care if people like or don't like this song or whatever other song. I just hate statements that have no foundation whatsoever.

You're driving me crazy, Roogs.

The statement is based on the divisive arguments for and against the song in this very thread.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 10:49 AM

The statement is based on the divisive arguments for and against the song in this very thread.

Can you guys take your argument elsewhere please? I'd reccomend a bar - where drinking can lead to resolution and some good laughs. Internet arguments suuuuck.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 10:51 AM

If you don't like disagreement with your statements, then don't make statements that are so easily disagreeable. Making a statement like the fact that those that like and don't like a song are "split down the middle" is fabricated. It's as fabricated and valid as me making a statement like 90% of the people who hear it, like it.

I am not forcing you to accept a position or change your opinion. I am just asking you to use logic in your statements. I don't think it's too much to ask when you are taking an opposing position to any point being discussed. If you don't want your statements to be held accountable...don't make them. I certainly hold myself to this criteria, I don't understand why others don't like it.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Can you guys take your argument elsewhere please? I'd reccomend a bar - where drinking can lead to resolution and some good laughs. Internet arguments suuuuck.

I apologise, all I did was dare to disagree with Roogsy.

my mistake.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
How about you, Mike?

Are you comfortable changing the bounce for DeRo?

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 10:53 AM
I apologise, all I did was dare to disagree with Roogsy.

my mistake.

I'm not blaming you or criticising you. Both you guys are prodding each other back and forth and the argument is just snowballing.

It's easy to get caught up in these types of debate. But my reccomendation would be to just take a deep breath, call roogsy a loser (it's fun!) and move on.

BFin
02-17-2009, 10:53 AM
So...how 'bout those blue jays?

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 10:54 AM
How about you, Mike?

Are you comfortable changing the bounce for DeRo?

Nope :D

I like it the way it is - poor grammar and all!

BTW - you rhymed Victory with Victory in your version. :p

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm not blaming you or criticising you. Both you guys are prodding each other back and forth and the argument is just snowballing.

It's easy to get caught up in these types of debate. But my reccomendation would be to just take a deep breath, call roogsy a loser (it's fun!) and move on.

So you gave him the secret code? BETRAYAL! :hulk:

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 10:56 AM

I felt it was acceptable, the second use of Victory is a reassertation of the previous line.

I actually rhymed victory with TFC, the next line stands alone :)

Pigfynn
02-17-2009, 10:57 AM
:drunk: =yeah! :boxing:=booo!

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 11:04 AM

I agree with Exiled on this one. It's a player song and the lyrics to the one sang last year is to cramped to the point where you can't understand what people are saying because it comes out mumbled.

Pigfynn
02-17-2009, 11:05 AM
I've heard a version that's clear :)

Rhode Dawg
02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
These Lyrics were written by a buddy of mine not long after the Trade, I think they work well!

His passport proved he was a Red, De Ro, De Ro.
Born in Scar-bor-ough it said, De Ro, De Ro
We brought the lad back to his home
He gets the ball, and off he goes
De-Ro-saaario he's gunna score a goal.

(Now jumping and waving scarves)

nah nah nah nah nah nah nah
nah nah, nah nah
nah nah, nah nah
nah nah nah nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah nah nah nah
De Ro saaaario he's gunna score a goal!

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 11:19 AM

So have I, but in the stands it comes out as mumbled jumbo until... the reds go marching on to victory. :lol:

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 11:19 AM
These Lyrics were written by a buddy of mine not long after the Trade, I think they work well!

nah nah, nah nah
nah nah, nah nah

Fucking mint IMO.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Me too! hopefully pretty soon even more people will hear it! :D

Technorgasm
02-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Its jus tnot right without a cold pint.

2.0 kicks majour Columbus balls, majour columbus Face!. . . . . into OUT-TER-SPACE!

Sparta
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM

nah nah, nah nah
nah nah, nah nah

I like it -- Still think like the old one that every line should be 8 syllables. This song is good because it has that EXCEPT the last line. I think if you take he's out of it it would work well

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Just drop 'he's' out of the last line.

De Ro saaario's gonna score a goal

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Just drop 'he's' out of the last line.

De Ro saaario's gonna score a goal
how about

(he's) Num-ber four-teen De-Ros-ario

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Bam. Works for me.

Cashcleaner
02-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Nope. But KC is coming up even closer.

Does this mean you're going to watch TFC at the Wizards with us, Buffalo?

loconet
02-17-2009, 01:27 PM

nah nah, nah nah
nah nah, nah nah

Loving it!!

Poll ?? :D

H Bomb
02-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Loving it!!

Poll ?? :D

nonono, no polls....its been shown that internet does not decide what songs get sung. if you like this, then sing it...

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Why the sudden revolt against the old version? Everyone is starting to get it down and it's spreading (slowly) why change it now and have people singing out of 3 or 4 different song books?

Shaughno - this new version would have been more useful 2 weeks ago...

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 01:48 PM
We are TFC fans...singing 2 or 3 different versions of the same song at the same time is what we do. :D

werewolf
02-17-2009, 01:50 PM
We are TFC fans...singing 2 or 3 different versions of the same song at the same time is what we do. :D

Not quite.

Someone will come up with a song. It will sound great and start to spread. Then some people will want to be different for the sake of being different, and start altering it as they see fit and inevitably making it sound like crap because no one is on the same page (lyrics wise).

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Not quite.

Someone will come up with a song. It will sound great and start to spread. Then some people will want to be different for the sake of being different, and start altering it as they see fit and inevitably making it sound like crap because no one is on the same page (lyrics wise).

Can we change the lyrics of Oh When the Reds?

I wanna See
The Team In Red
I wanna see the team in Red
I wanna watch with my eye balls
I wanna watch the team in Red.

Poll?

the-lower-eastsider
02-17-2009, 01:53 PM

nah nah, nah nah
nah nah, nah nah
De Ro saaaario he's gunna score a goal! not bad, but the scar-bor-ough part is troublesome for me. as is the line "we brought the lad back to his home". those parts just dont roll off the tongue easily enough for me. oh and btw, someone please work somethin in there about his corn-rows (isnt that what u call them?). the bonus is it would rhyme with "goes". lol.
lump

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Why the sudden revolt against the old version? Everyone is starting to get it down and it's spreading (slowly) why change it now and have people singing out of 3 or 4 different song books?

Shaughno - this new version would have been more useful 2 weeks ago...

Had I seen these lyrics, I would have mentioned it.

It's spreading slowly because the original lyrics are a pain to sing. Hence why observers have not been able to catch on. The whole middle section, when chanted at BMO, sounds like a bunch of mumbled jumbo.

Would it not be best for someone to try and change a song while it's still growing, or when it's already set in stone ala Massive ;)

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 01:57 PM

I wanna See
The Team In Red

Poll?

Come on Mike... try and change a song that's set in stone and sung by half the stadium... or a trying to change a song that's sung by a handful of people at this point in time?

Besides, the lyrics are more applicable and support a player who is supposed to be the most anticipated player in our short history. A player who IMO deserves a proper chant and not just...

DeRosario lalalalalallalalala

the-lower-eastsider
02-17-2009, 01:57 PM

I wanna See
The Team In Red

Poll?
i likey!

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Had I seen these lyrics, I would have mentioned it.

It's spreading slowly because the original lyrics are a pain to sing. Hence why observers have not been able to catch on. The whole middle section, when chanted at BMO, sounds like a bunch of mumbled jumbo.

Would it not be best for someone to try and change a song while it's still growing, or when it's already set in stone ala Massive ;)

I would reccomend not changing it at all, that way there aren't 20 versions rolling around.

The current version is growing and people all seem to really like it, so what's the issue?

werewolf
02-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Besides, the lyrics are more applicable and support a player who is supposed to be the most anticipated player in our short history. A player who IMO deserves a proper chant and not just...

DeRosario lalalalalallalalala

The point of the original lyrics were because no single player should have this song about them. I recall it originally being proposed for Robert...

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:01 PM
Because many people seem to think opposite of you. I've been singing it, but I've never liked the lyrics. I said it in the beginning and I'll say it again.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Because many people seem to think opposite of you. I've been singing it, but I've never liked the lyrics. I said it in the beginning and I'll say it again.

You don't like anything.

and the famous "many people"

I'm sure like anything else there are some that like it and some that don't. but who are these "many people"?

Everyone I talk to with the exception of a handful of people love the song just the way it is.

Anyways, I'm not going to argue about it - I'm going to continue as is, because it's working and growing and I don't see a reason to change it because a few people think they have better lyrics.

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
The point of the original lyrics were because no single player should have this song about them. I recall it originally being proposed for Robert...

I'll say it again. The chant has always (as far as I know), been used as a player chant.

We have DeRo coming to play for us, the most anticipated player in our club's history. If any player deserves this chant, it would be him, no?

I still stand by the fact that even at the height of this song, we had maybe 15-20 people singing. The current lyrics come out jumbled because it seems people can't sing them clearly. Personally, I think it's because of the lyrics chosen.

IMO, these lyrics are an upgrade to what could be a great chant for our hometown boy.

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:10 PM
You don't like anything.

and the famous "many people"

I'm sure like anything else there are some that like it and some that don't. but who are these "many people"?

Everyone I talk to with the exception of a handful of people love the song just the way it is.

Anyways, I'm not going to argue about it - I'm going to continue as is, because it's working and growing and I don't see a reason to change it because a few people think they have better lyrics.

Exactly, I hate everything. Go check the chant section Mike, you'll find me suggesting lyrics and giving props where props are due. Unlike you who just shoots down chants that either you or Flats aren't involved in.

You said and I quote, "and people all seem to really like it," which is obviously not true if others are suggesting different lyrics for it.

werewolf
02-17-2009, 02:11 PM
I initially thought the song could be used for Jimmy, since he really doesn't have a song (maybe "a team of Jimmy B's", but its not widespread, certainly wasn't at the time), some play on "When Jimmy comes marching home again".

DeRo certainly does need a proper song, I don't think using something that has already been growing with different lyrics is the right way to go about things. That's why we are trying to avoid using any form of Dichio song.

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I initially thought the song could be used for Jimmy, since he really doesn't have a song (maybe "a team of Jimmy B's", but its not widespread, certainly wasn't at the time), some play on "When Jimmy comes marching home again".

DeRo certainly does need a proper song, I don't think using something that has already been growing with different lyrics is the right way to go about things. That's why we are trying to avoid using any form of Dichio song.

But outside of a handful of people in 112, nobody in the stadium sings this song. Would it not be an opertune time to change it, if you were to change it?

Find me a better, more appropriate song for DeRo and I'll drop my case.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Exactly, I hate everything. Go check the chant section Mike, you'll find me suggesting lyrics and giving props where props are due. Unlike you who just shoots down chants that either you or Flats aren't involved in.

You said and I quote, "and people all seem to really like it," which is obviously not true if others are suggesting different lyrics for it.

Bla bla bla

This board is such a waste of time sometimes.

Jack
02-17-2009, 02:15 PM
I'd rather keep The Bounce as is. It's starting to spread with the current lyrics and if we change them it's going to cause even more of a mess.

Is the well really so dry that we can't come up with another DeRo song?

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Weak. Perfect time to start a perfect chant for DeRo, but it's dropped because of a popularity contest.

Find me a better, more appropriate song for DeRo and I'll drop my case.

werewolf
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
There are numerous threads, pages long, with proposals...

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
And I haven't seen any as good as the rework of this chant.

90% of them have been direvitives of DeRosario la la la la la

werewolf
02-17-2009, 02:20 PM
That's a matter of personal opinion.

Poll or its a lie! :cool:

Jack
02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
If we can't come up with a good DeRo song and have to bastardize another one, that's seems pretty weak to me.

This song is trendy and so everyone comes up with lyrics for it and of course people are going to like it, but there's got to be more out there...

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:23 PM
Guess maybe someone should give NEE a headsup that they can't use this chant?

Jack
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Guess maybe someone should give NEE a headsup that they can't use this chant?
Uhm...sure...you go right ahead? (I have no idea of the relevancy of that comment here, they can sing whatever lyrics they want, of course.)

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
someone please work somethin in there about his corn-rows (isnt that what u call them?). the bonus is it would rhyme with "goes". lol.
lump

:lol: good call, big fella

Jeffro
02-17-2009, 02:28 PM
I'll say it again. The chant has always (as far as I know), been used as a player chant.

We have DeRo coming to play for us, the most anticipated player in our club's history. If any player deserves this chant, it would be him, no?

I still stand by the fact that even at the height of this song, we had maybe 15-20 people singing. The current lyrics come out jumbled because it seems people can't sing them clearly. Personally, I think it's because of the lyrics chosen.

IMO, these lyrics are an upgrade to what could be a great chant for our hometown boy.

If he "deserves" any chant, I would say he deserves one written for him, not one of our old ones reworked.

15-20 people? I sit in 118 and even people over there are picking up this song!

Also, if you thought the lyrics came out jumbled with the origional version... the DeRo one has several lines that are forced in, and do not flow properly, or have the appropriate amount of syllables.

Lets get the guy his own song

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-17-2009, 02:30 PM
If he "deserves" any chant, I would say he deserves one written for him, not one of our old ones reworked.

Also, if you thought the lyrics came out jumbled with the origional version... the DeRo one has several lines that are forced in, and do not flow properly, or have the appropriate amount of syllables.

agreed, a good perspective on it - the well cant be that dry

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:35 PM
I can't wait for the new DeRo song. :D

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9184

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 02:35 PM

And since we have his crew sitting nearby in the 120s...I am sure they will help!

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:36 PM
If we can't come up with a good DeRo song and have to bastardize another one, that's seems pretty weak to me.

This song is trendy and so everyone comes up with lyrics for it and of course people are going to like it, but there's got to be more out there...

Jack, my point is not that we can't come up with lyrics. My point is the original version has terrible lyrics as was pointed out before you guys sang it the first time. It was ignored, repeatedly.

Nobody has adressed the issues of this chant that I've brought up repeatedly.

1) the mid section of this chant ALWAYS sounds jumbled in the stands. This is due to poor lyrics that don't work.

2) DeRosario deserves a proper 'legendary' chant. IMO this chant delivers in leaps and bounds and has typically been used in such a fashion for other clubs.

3) if a chant is to be changed, is it not better to do so while it's still in it's infancy and being learned, rather than trying to adapt it later on?

^^^^
A post I was trying to post earlier when my IE crashed.

Jack
02-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Jack, my point is not that we can't come up with lyrics. My point is the original version has terrible lyrics as was pointed out before you guys sang it the first time. It was ignored, repeatedly.

Nobody has adressed the issues of this chant that I've brought up repeatedly.

1) the mid section of this chant ALWAYS sounds jumbled in the stands. This is due to poor lyrics that don't work.

2) DeRosario deserves a proper 'legendary' chant. IMO this chant delivers in leaps and bounds and has typically been used in such a fashion for other clubs.

3) if a chant is to be changed, is it not better to do so while it's still in it's infancy and being learned, rather than trying to adapt it later on?

^^^^
A post I was trying to post earlier when my IE crashed.
1) I think people just need to get the lyrics down
2) He does deserve one. Let's get him one. Other clubs use it for players. We don't...
3) I think this is beyond "infancy" now (see post by Jeffro118)

BFin
02-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Is this still going on?

Mods, can you please move MY thread here to the "songs, chants and banners" section so that people can cease to read this epic bickering everytime they log into the Toronto FC forum.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
Is this still going on?

Mods, can you please move MY thread here to the "songs, chants and banners" section so that people can cease to read this epic bickering everytime they log into the Toronto FC forum.

Hey Bfin,

Loved your Youtube vid!!!! I think that was the original topic!!!

Whoop
02-17-2009, 02:42 PM
The second line is/was always the one that trips people up.

It has to be sung slower, but everyone wants to speed everything up.

I think it's too late to change it now.

BFin
02-17-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey Bfin,

haha thanks!
Come on you Reds.

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
The second line is/was always the one that trips people up.

It has to be sung slower, but everyone wants to speed everything up.

I think it's too late to change it now.

Why? It's not like hundreds of people sing this yet.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
haha thanks!
Come on you Reds.

Any plans to make more?

I really want someone to make a vid for "are you red"

Jeffro
02-17-2009, 02:50 PM
BTW, in the origional version, the middle part that is jumbled is kinda supposed to be like that. The lines come very quickly, which gives more dynamics to the more annunciated "The_reds_go_mar_ching_on-to-victory"

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree with Shaughno,

The lyrics on the current version are terrible, and they're all about the supporters, not the players.

"when you hear us it's plain to see, Toronto's the greatest in history"

You can't see anything by hearing, it's silly.

And which of our players said:

"we'll never stop till we've won the cup"?

Cause I'd like to slap him, and tell him that when he wins the cup he doesn't fucking stop there!

Finally, Jack, I hardly call it bastardising the song, because the song is already full on 100% bastardised.

Jeffro
02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Hey Bfin,

Haha, yeah, I'm down with Legend TFC as well, the words are easy to remember and the chorus is easy to shout at the top of your lungs, and I think that's the main point.

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:54 PM
I agree with Shaughno,

The lyrics on the current version are terrible, and they're all about the supporters, not the players.

Cause I'd like to slap him, and tell him that when he wins the cup he doesn't fucking stop there!

Finally, Jack, I hardly call it bastardising the song, because the song is already full on 100% bastardised.

All points I believe have been pointed out numerous times BEFORE the song was sung, by Exiled, myself and others.

BFin
02-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Any plans to make more?

If you want a montage for it, then sure.
It will take a couple nights, and I will have to get the MP3 of it...but just let me know what songs you want, and I will make some videos as I get time.

Rhode Dawg
I agree with coming up with a new song for De Ro. How dare we re-work a song that has already been used! Oh wait, that is Just about all our songs.

When you guys get off your high horse trying to force feed songs that have not worked out side of your circle and resist that urge to dismiss other peoples songs that our simply trying to promote Our Team or Player.

The best songs are the ones that are not contrived but simply come together because they are easy and sound good when sung! You cannot force the issue.

We will be singing this Version of the "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" in 115, 114 and Probably the NEE will chant along as well.

Only then will we truly see if it works or not. Till then, continue the bickering

P.S. Thanks for the compliments on the song Jay!

canadian_bhoy
I agree with Shaughno,

Apparently there are actually 5 Greg Sutton's in Toronto alone.

Jack
02-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Right, because all footy songs are just chock full of meaningful and sensical lyrics :D

Anyway, the song's fun and it's catching on...why change a good thing. Let's get another good thing going instead...

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Right, because all footy songs are just chock full of meaningful and sensical lyrics :D

Anyway, the song's fun and it's catching on...why change a good thing. Let's get another good thing going instead...

Because it could be an amazing thing, instead of a mediocre, mumbled, good thing.

Isn't that the point of being a supporter? Striving to support your team as best you can?

Jack
02-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I agree with coming up with a new song for De Ro. How dare we re-work a song that has already been used! Oh wait, that is Just about all our songs.

When you guys get off your high horse trying to force feed songs that have not worked out side of your circle and resist that urge to dismiss other peoples songs that our simply trying to promote Our Team or Player.

The best songs are the ones that are not contrived but simply come together because they are easy and sound good when sung! You cannot force the issue.

We will be singing this Version of the "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" in 115, 114 and Probably the NEE will chant along as well.

Only then will we truly see if it works or not. Till then, continue the bickering

LOL

Funny that guys were singing along with this in 118, yet in only works in our "circle"

I'm not on any high horse, dude, so don't get your panties ina bunch because you suggested a song and some people didn't like it. It happens all the time ;)

Anyway, I agree this is stupid. Let's put this energy into coming up with more songs rather than wasting time with some dude's hurt feelings.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Why do people assume that we have some agenda to keep only the "insiders" song/banners/ideas going?

It's simply not the case.

No one is shooting down your idea - we're just saying that we've already had a version going for half a season. People in our section really like it and as one other poster pointed out - it's catching on in 118 and other parts of the stadium as well.

There isn't an agenda here to shut people out.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
So - Bfin's video was pretty good eh?

I love that pic of Dichio holding up the corner flag - what a goal that was!

BFin
02-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Why do people assume that we have some agenda to keep only the "insiders" song/banners/ideas going?

It's simply not the case.

No one is shooting down your idea - we're just saying that we've already had a version going for half a season. People in our section really like it and as one other poster pointed out - it's catching on in 118 and other parts of the stadium as well.

There isn't an agenda here to shut people out.
^^
I'm going to record "When BFin comes Marching home" and shut all of you out.

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Stand up for DeRosario
Stand up for DeRosario

Book it, new chant.

BFin
02-17-2009, 03:03 PM
So - Bfin's video was pretty good eh?

I love that pic of Dichio holding up the corner flag - what a goal that was!
It was between corner flag and next to net pic of Dichio for last picture of the montage. I couldn't decide because both were equally epic, and well he is the Legend...so it made sense.

Jack
02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
and...Shaughno's toys go sailing out of the pram.

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 03:07 PM
:rofl: and the posts go missing. YAY!

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 03:08 PM

Not at all, got them all by my side.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
It was between corner flag and next to net pic of Dichio for last picture of the montage. I couldn't decide because both were equally epic, and well he is the Legend...so it made sense.

I like the one with the corner flag.

The best dichio pic though is the one after he scored against NE and he is running with the #1 finger in the air. I love that pic

BFin
02-17-2009, 03:11 PM
I almost used corner flag, but it looks like he's getting his junk cupped...so I didn't want that to be my lasting impression of the Legend.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 03:12 PM

NO NO NO.....you're still getting the syllabic delivery all wrong.

---Shaughno's toys go sailing out the pram.---

you see?

Sparta
02-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Because it could be an amazing thing, instead of a mediocre, mumbled, good thing.

Isn't that the point of being a supporter? Striving to support your team as best you can?

I agree -- I remember it starting with robert then going to velez.

But they arent "marquee" players -- deRo has proven himself in the league.

If anyone has the fernando torres song -- post it again -- check out when everyone knows it -- awesome

Also, everytime DeRo does something good we can bust it out many times during the game -- it is upbeat and motivates everyone

I like the tune -- but the previous one is one that you cant really repeat much during the game if something good happens like an awesome play -- BUT when DeRo does something specacular, like we all know he is going to do, when can sing all day with high high tempo

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 03:20 PM
I agree -- I remember it starting with robert then going to velez.

But they arent "marquee" players -- deRo has proven himself in the league.

If anyone has the fernando torres song -- post it again -- check out when everyone knows it -- awesome

Also, everytime DeRo does something good we can bust it out many times during the game -- it is upbeat and motivates everyone

I like the tune -- but the previous one is one that you cant really repeat much during the game if something good happens like an awesome play -- BUT when DeRo does something specacular, like we all know he is going to do, when can sing all day with high high tempo

Thank fuck someone understands.

ExiledRed
02-17-2009, 03:21 PM

ta daaa!

Absolutely! We have no songs like this, other than the Dichio, but Dichio hardly plays.

Jack
02-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Well...if there's nothing better out there and we need a DeRo song, then it could work.

But I'm still not 100% convinced. (and those lyrics need some work, IMO)

I mean...we have a lot of creative and talented people around here!

Shaughno
02-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Honestly, I've been racking my brain to fit something for Dero and this is by far, the best I've seen or come up with.

nobodybeatsthewiz
02-17-2009, 03:23 PM
The best dichio pic though is the one after he scored against NE and he is running with the #1 finger in the air. I love that pic

i remember that thinking to myself, maybe this could be the start of our TFC version of alan shearer's semi-hand wave over the head.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 03:24 PM
i remember that thinking to myself, maybe this could be the start of our TFC version of alan shearer's semi-hand wave over the head.

Could be.....it IS

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/995434.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6447287BF96848618 A40A659CEC4C8CB6

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-17-2009, 03:26 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=9911

;)

H Bomb
02-17-2009, 03:33 PM
This seems like the perfect thread for me to try to push my anthem idea on you!!!!!!

use this or you're dumb

QYEC4TZsy-Y

Jeffro
02-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Scleprock- We Need an Anthem
(couldn't find a link)

We need an anthem
Some kind of anthem!
We need an anthem
Any kind of anthem!

BFin
02-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Not to go off topic here (lol!) but if anyone is actually looking at the video anymore, please send all credit to the Red City Ramblers. I just stole all of your pics and organized them! heh

Also, my vote goes for DeRo started the fire.

canadian_bhoy
02-17-2009, 03:53 PM
I wish the ramblers would come out with another tune already!!! get off your a$$ RPL Producer!!!!

Love to see some new tunes from another artist as well!!!

We can always help with the recording....

We want more we want more!!!!

BFin
02-17-2009, 03:56 PM
^^
We can also add background voices for an epic chant involving about 200 people. That is my dream for a song. Have all of us lending a voice to an epic chant that involves some loud boisterous supporters. A la "for the boys ONNNNNNN THE FIELLLDDD" portion of Legend.

Jeffro
02-17-2009, 04:44 PM
I wish the ramblers would come out with another tune already!!! get off your a$$ RPL Producer!!!!

I'm actually working on one... although writing a soccer chant style sing along is definitely not in my area of songwriting expertise, but I thought I'd give it a try. We'll see how it turns out.

Roogsy
02-17-2009, 04:50 PM

Says the dude who left us hanging with RPB LIVE!!! :mad:

Workie
02-18-2009, 05:13 PM

Best analogy I've seen in weeks! BRAVO!
:D

Workie
02-18-2009, 05:19 PM
It's been ages since I watched this.

Found it quite fitting. :D

teMlv3ripSM

Rhode Dawg
02-18-2009, 05:22 PM
That is not fitting!

Jack
02-18-2009, 05:23 PM
That is not fitting!
Is too!

Rhode Dawg
02-18-2009, 05:23 PM
We are not here to argue!

Ding!
Thank You

Jack
02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
We are not here to argue!

Ding!
Thank You

An argument's not the same as contradiction.

Rhode Dawg
02-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Yes it is!

I already rung the bell

to Quote another Python masterpiece!

Alright we'll call it a draw

Jack
02-18-2009, 05:29 PM
But that was never five minutes! :D

JonO
02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
But that was never five minutes! :D
That's what she said :p

RPLProducer
02-19-2009, 01:59 PM
MP3's just sent out thanks for the PMs guys!

RPLProducer
02-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Awesome idea! I''d love to see this!

Any plans to make more?

BFin
02-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Awesome idea! I''d love to see this!

hahah I will do it this weekend.
RPL I'm gonna need a couple of songs from you guys to cure the thirst of the Ramblers fans. I will e-mail you guys tonight or tomorrow to figure out which ones I will need.

Canadian Bhoy...I will PM you when done.