PDA

View Full Version : Wizards sign Santiago Hirsig

Corpand
02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=252491

Wow, loving some of the quality coming into the MLS this off season.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Nice Addition!

Shaughno
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Too early to tell IMO. He has no real 'experience' outside of Argentina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Hirsig

Shaughno
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
To clarify my point, many players with more experience have come to the league and flopped. No guarantee's that a 31 year old right mid will flourish in this league.

Franco Caraccio and Marcelo Gallardo being recent examples.

jrey
02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Too early to tell IMO. He has no real 'experience' outside of Argentina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Hirsig

So just like Pablo Vitti, then?

rocker
02-11-2009, 03:17 PM
ya.. it's been a mixed bag from Argentina, to be honest.
For every example of a success there seems to be a failure.

It's definitely too early to tell before they play their first game ;)

Stouffville_RPB
02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
"I am very excited to join the Kansas City Wizards," Hirsig said. "I have followed MLS a lot in the past year, and I cannot wait to be part of the team and hopefully help the Wizards win MLS Cup in 2009."

Good to see MLS getting a little respect outside of NA but the Wiz to win the cup in 09? That's pushing it Mr. Hirsig.

jloome
02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Vitti himself made an interesting statement about how much more physical -- and by extent less technical -- MLS is than the argentine league. It's the same rationale British coaches have -- often wrongly -- applied in not bringing in more. S.A. talent.

Shaughno
02-11-2009, 03:21 PM

Similar yes. Difference being Vitti has seen action for the national side, competing against some of the country's greats of the current generation.

Hirsig never even got a glance in his entire career and never played for any major clubs in Argentina aside from San Lorenzo, who from my understanding is like Arsenal of the EPL. Always contending, but never quite able to walk away with anything.

Obviously he could walk into the MLS and boss the mid, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see him on the pitch.

Phil
02-11-2009, 03:21 PM

Vitti is 23 not 31. I think there is a difference there but a loan vs a signing is a diffrence in commitment too.

rocker
02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Vitti and the other guy sound pretty aware of what they are getting themselves into. I'm glad to hear that. I hate it when a guy comes in with no understanding of things and gets schooled... then leaves as fast as he came.

SLBuu
02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
heard about this but i have no idea who he is. Although i do know that San Lorenzo just had a good season. And it looks like he's played often if not every game. 77 games in 2 seasons is good.

bodes well

Shaughno
02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Vitti is 23 not 31. I think there is a difference there but a loan vs a signing is a diffrence in commitment too.

Exactly, better comparison would be Gallardo, Schelleto or Claudio Lopez.

Lopez despite having quite the resume coming into the MLS, has hardly 'tore it up' like many expected him to do.

rocker
02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
too bad his has to play in a small baseball stadium.

SLBuu
02-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Exactly, better comparison would be Gallardo, Schelleto or Claudio Lopez.

Lopez despite having quite the resume coming into the MLS, has hardly 'tore it up' like many expected him to do.

to be fair, neither did schellotto in his first year. now look at him.

giambac
02-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Similar yes. Difference being Vitti has seen action for the national side, competing against some of the country's greats of the current generation.

Hirsig never even got a glance in his entire career and never played for any major clubs in Argentina aside from San Lorenzo, who from my understanding is like Arsenal of the EPL. Always contending, but never quite able to walk away with anything.

Obviously he could walk into the MLS and boss the mid, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see him on the pitch.

when you say action for the national side, are you referring to the Argentina's natioanl team or the U 20 tem he played for? If it is the U2o then that means shit compared to Hirisig who has played 8 seasons in Argentina's top league.

I think Hirsig with his experience and size will adapt easier than Vitti. Actually Vitti's comments about playing in a more physical MLS league kind of concerns me...................

TFCREDNWHITE
02-11-2009, 03:40 PM
too bad his has to play in a small baseball stadium.

HAHAHAHAHAAH

:hurray::hurray::hurray::cheers:

Shaughno
02-11-2009, 03:46 PM
when you say action for the national side, are you referring to the Argentina's natioanl team or the U 20 tem he played for? If it is the U2o then that means shit compared to Hirisig who has played 8 seasons in Argentina's top league.

I think Hirsig with his experience and size will adapt easier than Vitti. Actually Vitti's comments about playing in a more physical MLS league kind of concerns me...................

Until last year, Hirgsig had not played for a top club in Argentina whereas Vitti has been (despite not seeing much time) and has shown plenty of promise in his short career.

Like I said, until we see these players play in the league, it's impossible to tell how they will do. Imports have been largely impossible to predict as it seems to be a 50/50 chance they will work out.

giambac
02-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Until last year, Hirgsig had not played for a top club in Argentina whereas Vitti has been (despite not seeing much time) and has shown plenty of promise in his short career.

Like I said, until we see these players play in the league, it's impossible to tell how they will do. Imports have been largely impossible to predict as it seems to be a 50/50 chance they will work out.

yes, but you said Vitti played for the national team??

Did he?

When?

Shaughno
02-11-2009, 03:52 PM
yes, but you said Vitti played for the national team??

Did he?

When?

U20's. A cap is a cap, 3 caps is 3 caps. So yes, he played for the Argentina National U20's team.

My point on the National team is that he obviously has the potential but has not gotten the playing time to fulfill it. Hirsig has never had any hype in comparison.

giambac
02-11-2009, 03:59 PM
U20's. A cap is a cap, 3 caps is 3 caps. So yes, he played for the Argentina National U20's team.

My point on the National team is that he obviously has the potential but has not gotten the playing time to fulfill it. Hirsig has never had any hype in comparison.

Played on the U 20 team in 2005 - like 4 yaers agao.

What has he done lately? Let me see I'm looking at his stats......he basicallyy has done nothing and that's why he has been moved around.

Hope he works out here but I must say I am concerned in reading his comments about the physical aspect of the MLS and that he hopes he can adapt to the style. Hopes?????? I don't like that word. I think he shopuld be more convincing an dconfident in himself

Shaughno
02-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Played on the U 20 team in 2005 - like 4 yaers agao.

What has he done lately? Let me see I'm looking at his stats......he basicallyy has done nothing and that's why he has been moved around.

Hope he works out here but I must say I am concerned in reading his comments about the physical aspect of the MLS and that he hopes he can adapt to the style. Hopes?????? I don't like that word. I think he shopuld be more convincing an dconfident in himself

My judgement of Vitti is based off of one game, albiet a friendly, but it was last year and he had a hell of a game. Pestering our defense on a constant basis, scoring a goal, hitting the crossbar and generally busting his balls. IMO he should do well if he plays like he did in that friendly. He also scored against the Crew in their friendly, so that in general tells me he's got a feel for how the MLS runs and obviously knows how to create chances.

Phil
02-11-2009, 04:06 PM

Yup and that was a team with Messi on it, I wonder where his playing time went.

Anyhow, even if the kid lacks a bit of confidence, Carver and MO saw something that they REALLY like and he may be moldable as far as adaptation to the style the league has.

If it doesn't work out, he goes. If it is a big sucess he will go. Lets hope he does well because that means more goals for us.