PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa is maybe getting an MLS franchise.

Azerban
02-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Psych! Suckered you into my thread, now didn't I!

Well, it's not for certain yet, but;

It’s highly unlikely and almost inconceivable that with a stadium deal in place we would not grant an expansion team to Ottawa,” Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber said yesterday.
http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2009/02/10/8341791.html

e: every time a thread title gets altered by a mod, an angel gets raped

CoachGT
02-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Check out Ben Knight's spin on the commissioner's message in his new blog.

Fort York Redcoat
02-11-2009, 11:06 AM
I hope this goes through for Ottawa. Think about it, you boys up there will always want that stadium redone for CFL whereas Mellnyk wouldn't keep this soccer vision if he's thwarted.

Parkdale
02-11-2009, 11:08 AM
BAH.

Ottawa is the 4th place city deserving of a franchise.
We already have ours, Montreal is out, Vancouver is ????

then Ottawa.

Roogsy
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
MLS is just pandering to Ottawa before they reject them. Television rights are a huge factor and Ottawa simply holds no television viewing power.

Fort York Redcoat
02-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Deserve, desmerve.

How many Vancouver-Toronto derbies a year would you get in on Mr Moneybags?

Hmmmmm?

Azerban
02-11-2009, 11:12 AM

A soccer specific stadium is not necessary. Seattle proved that, and Houston has proved it and is currently proving it;

Texas Southern University has reached an agreement with the Houston Dynamo to be tenants in the proposed downtown stadium that would become home to the Major League Soccer franchise.

McClelland said TSU will use the stadium primarily as home to its football program.

"It will be our stadium. Once we put up the up-front money Texas Southern will be able to play in this thing and we're talking about anywhere between a 35 to 40 year use (lease) on that piece of property.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/090210_tsu_dynamo_stadium

Sorry Ben Knight, owned. :cool:

Roogsy
02-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Is Houston hard-up for cash??? That hardly sounds like a great deal.

Times truly are tough south of the border.

Don Julio
02-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Ottawa will fail. Bad idea. I love it for convenience of travel, but it's going to be like Columbus Part II.

Cashcleaner
02-11-2009, 11:22 AM
From a purely economic point-of-view, Vancouver is miles ahead of Ottawa in terms of commercial viability. I think Garber is being diplomatic in that someday a franchise could make its way into the capital, but that day isn't anytime soon.

I certainly won't believe it until the ink is dry.

MUFC_Niagara
02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
BAH.

then Ottawa.

Why the is Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal anymore deserving than Ottawa? What a dumb fucking comment that was.

Bluenose13
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Why the is Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal anymore deserving than Ottawa? What a dumb fucking comment that was.How about, because Vancouver has the Whitecaps & Montreal has the Impact, both cities have thriving soccer teams with good support, seems pretty logical to me.

Also how about a comment or a discussion without the name calling & foul language :noidea:

ExiledRed
02-11-2009, 11:32 AM
BAH.

then Ottawa.

Everybody put Vancouver and Montreal ahead of Toronto, because they were more 'deserving'

At the end of the day it's better that we get a fourth team in Canada, than upgrading one of the existing three.

dupont
02-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Why the is Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal anymore deserving than Ottawa? What a dumb fucking comment that was.

Well usually the cities with the highest local population and the most recognized by other places are best for tv revenues. This doesnt always mean they would get the best support but it has to be taken into consideration.
Plus Montreal and Vancouver already have USL teams with a small fanbase to build on.

I_AM_CANADIAN
02-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Garber seems to change his mind with every city he visits. Suddenly, having an SSS is important again.

drewski
02-11-2009, 11:38 AM

size, major league sports history, current and potential football market. hell, even stadium location is a problem. unlike BMO, transportation choices out to Kanata aren't great which could cause problems for drawings fans. Took the sens years before they had decent attendance, and thats for our national winter sport

Azerban
02-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Garber only said a stadium deal is necessary. He never said a SSS was necessary.

MUFC_Niagara
02-11-2009, 11:40 AM
How about, because Vancouver has the Whitecaps & Montreal has the Impact, both cities have thriving soccer teams with good support, seems pretty logical to me.

Also how about a comment or a discussion without the name calling & foul language :noidea:

It seems to me that the only team getting it's shit together for a good bid is Ottawa. They have worked a stadium deal and they have done a good job selling the potential franchise. How is fair to base what city is deserving merely based on whether people turn up at the stadium? I just get sick of the "big city" elitism on here sometimes.

Roogsy
02-11-2009, 11:41 AM
It seems to me that the only team getting it's shit together for a good bid is Ottawa. They have worked a stadium deal and they have done a good job selling the potential franchise. How is fair to base what city is deserving merely based on whether people turn up at the stadium? I just get sick of the "big city" elitism on here sometimes.

Did you really just say this??? :eek:

Pigfynn
I want Ottawa in for strictly selfish reasons...actually that's why I wanted Montreal in as well becuase they're close and we can go there easily. Outside of reasons that would benefit TFC and it's progress I could care less who gets in.

Cue the don't you care about Canadian soccer and it's betterment brigade :D

Roogsy
Garber only said a stadium deal is necessary. He never said a SSS was necessary.

Seattle showed this to be true.

MUFC_Niagara
02-11-2009, 11:42 AM
size, major league sports history, current and potential football market. hell, even stadium location is a problem. unlike BMO, transportation choices out to Kanata aren't great which could cause problems for drawings fans. Took the sens years before they had decent attendance, and thats for our national winter sport

400 series buses on OC transpo have greatly helped the attendance at the Sens games. I was at the Buffalo v Ottawa game the other night and 18,000+ plus were in attendance. Soccer is big in Ottawa, despite what people in the big city of Toronto think, Ottawa is a multicultural city just like Toronto.

MUFC_Niagara
02-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Did you really just say this??? :eek:

I sure as hell did....if that was the case then over half of the teams in MLS would not exist!

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 11:45 AM
I want Ottawa in for strictly selfish reasons...actually that's why I wanted Montreal in as well becuase they're close and we can go there easily. Outside of reasons that would benefit TFC and it's progress I could care less who gets in.

Cue the don't you care about Canadian soccer and it's betterment brigade :D
I'll go first: Don't you care about Cnadaian Soccer and it's betterment?:canada::D

Parkdale
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM

before you say it was a dumb fucking comment....

Montreal has a USL team that's doing pretty well for itself at the moment.
Vancouver also has a decent USL team and is hosting the Olympics (aka free press for the new team)
Toronto is the biggest city in the country and a big sports market.

Ottawa has a W-USL team. That's about it.

yours was a dumb reply.

Pigfynn
02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I'll go first: Don't you care about Cnadaian Soccer and it's betterment?:canada::D

I do actually. I just care about TFC the most.:canada:

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Also just throwing this out there but Ottawa is the 4th largest city in Canada behind Toronto, Montreal, and Calgary
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_municipalities_in_Canada_b y_population

rocker
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Since Montreal is out, I want Vanny in first then Ottawa.
Fuck Portland and Miami and St.Louis.. I'm gonna be a partisan and admit I'm greedy. I want as many Canadian teams in as possible. :)

I ranked Montreal my favourite until they screwed up. Now Montreal can kiss my ass and Garber's too. Pay the fee to join the club or stay in your small time league in your small time stadium. Don't be cheap with your milk and cheese empire billions because you want to negotiate.

torfchamilton
02-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Not sure what to make of Garber's comment and the Ottawa market. I have never lived there, but know they have a good soccer community. If this goes through, let's hope they make a go of it and help build soccer in Canada. It would be nice to have 3-4 Canadian teams in MLS.

Blazer
02-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Ottawa isn’t likely to build a stadium that isn’t specifically designed for CFL football, which is after all, more viable than MLS soccer. Whether or not that stadium can/will double as a soccer pitch is another question.

rocker
02-11-2009, 11:58 AM
http://www.ottawasun.com/FrontPage/2009/02/11/ottcover.jpg

Beach_Red
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
We already play Vancouver and Montreal enough. I want more Canadian teams in the Canadian Championship. Ottawa, Edmonton, Calgary, doesn't matter, USL, MLS whatever.

But the thing is, the real deciding factor isn;t the stadium or the size of the market or any of that. The only thing that really matters, that has ever mattered, is ownership.

And that's true of every sport. The NFL put a team in Houston where one had moved and didn't put one in LA because the Houston ownership stepped up with the money. The NHL will put a team anywhere ownership steps up with the money.

And really, what could possibly be a better way to decide. The ownership risk their money, it's up to them to tap the market and make it big enough. Montreal didn;t want to take the risk, Ottawa does.

Cashcleaner
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Also just throwing this out there but Ottawa is the 4th largest city in Canada behind Toronto, Montreal, and Calgary
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_municipalities_in_Canada_b y_population

Perhaps, but when dealing with MLS franchises you really have to take into account cities in the US as well. Ottawa has just under 1 million people at the moment, but Houston (which is America's 4th largest city) has over 2 million.

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Perhaps, but when dealing with MLS franchises you really have to take into account cities in the US as well. Ottawa has just under 1 million people at the moment, but Houston (which is America's 4th largest city) has over 2 million.
Not trying to compare Canada and the US here just saying that Vancouver is smaller than Ottawa

JonO
02-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Unfair to compare city populations. If you compare the greater vancouver area pop with the greater ottawa pop, vancouver is about twice as large.

Fort York Redcoat
02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
The CFL doesn't seem to register with Mellnyk's plan. Regardless how viable it is.

ExiledRed
02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
The viability of MLS in canadian cities has risen sharply merely because of Toronto's example.

Toronto wasn't an upgrade from USL, wasn't a proven soccer market and the feeling was that with an NBA, NHL, MLB and CFL team, there was no room for MLS.

Toronto proved that it doesn't have to be a case of one sport over the other, so why the constant harping on about CFL and NHL?

Also if MLS and CFL share a stadium in Ottawa, measures are likely to be taken to accomodate both teams from the outset, (unlike here, where huge modifications would be required)

KrazyKanadian
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
If a city can provide a venue to play in, solid financial backing, and enough support from the fans, then they deserve a team.

Cashcleaner
02-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Not trying to compare Canada and the US here just saying that Vancouver is smaller than Ottawa

I gotcha. It's a bit of a moot point anyways because you really gotta go by the numbers of the metropolitan area.

Unfair to compare city populations. If you compare the greater vancouver area pop with the greater ottawa pop, vancouver is about twice as large.

Ya beat me to it.

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM
I thought someone would call me on that:D
Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_metropolitan_areas_in_Cana da
Ottawa is still 4th BTW

drewski
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM

look at what else is on the list, cities in area around those cities. over 10% of the cities on that list are in reasonable driving distance of BMO. montreal is the same, so is vancouver.

actually, if you look at the census dvisions, ottawa's great population is pretty small, smaller then edmonton even

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_census_divisions_of_Canada_by_population

EDIT: beaten to it

drewski
02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Ottawa isn’t likely to build a stadium that isn’t specifically designed for CFL football, which is after all, more viable than MLS soccer.

not in the last decade it hasn't been ;)

torfchamilton
02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
The NHL will put a team anywhere ownership steps up with the money.

Except in Hamilton or any equation that has Jim Balsilie in it

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Let it go man:D

Beach_Red
02-11-2009, 12:35 PM

I had season tickets purchased for that expansion. I was so pumped for Hamilton to get a team (I was living in Dundas at the time).

I'm sure you know all this, but,

They sat down in front of the NHL Board of Governors and said, sure, we'll give you the money (I forget, 50 or 80 million), but we'll spread the payments over many, many years. Ottawa said, "We'll give you all the money up front." Then when they got the team they said, "Oh, right, we don;t actually have it all right now, we'll have to spread out the payments." For a few days there we thought the franchise would get awarded to Hamilton, but no, they just let Ottawa use Hamilton's financing plan.

So, I still think it comes down to ownership. Saputo should have said he would put up the 40 million and the stadium expansion, got the team and THEN said he couldn't do both. Maybe MLS was looking even closer at the finances and the NHL just grabbed what they saw as the quickest cash.

Redcoe15
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM
Ottawa doesn't have a stadium right now and any new stadium, built with public funds, would have to be built with Canadian football in mind, not an SSS. Don Garber's done this before. He's playing mind games here because he wants to turn up the heat on other bids in the U.S. to get their money in place.

Vindaloo
02-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Deserving may not be the question but Vancouver has proven that it's worthy of a shot for a MLS franchise and dare I say any other bid that's currently out there. This is a model organisation in North America. It has a built in fanbase that has supported a professional team for 40 years. It already has a built in rivalry with Seattle and Portland. The stadium, albeit a possible temp one in BC Place, is already funded and finished for 2011. The systems below are already running and paid for by WFC owner Greg Kerfoot.

The Whitecaps FC organisation and developmental system -

- Whitecaps FC senior men's USL team, Whitecaps FC W-League women's team.

- Whitecaps FC Residency - USL Premier Develop. League (div 4) team. Provides U-17 to U-19 players from across Canada a development gateway through to professional opportunities with the Whitecaps men’s team and European clubs. The program uses the European club model of identification, development, and placement.

- Whitecaps FC Prospects - PDSL(div 4) team

- 4 Super Y-League teams - this league operates U13, U14, U15, U16 and U17 divisions for both boys and girls.

- Whitecaps Community Soccer System creates the large base of the model reaching over 21,000 youths through a combination of free community, school and pre-game clinics.

- Whitecaps Professional Development Prog. is the next step for many of the Community Soccer System youth. At this level, development begins with a funneled regional to central approach. A progression of regional development programs including camps, academies, showcases and a development League reach over 7,000 youths.

- Whitecaps Delta Prospects Academy and the Whitecaps Delta School Academy - regional school program that is open to motivated U-14 to U-16 boys. This program is supplemental training for players to encourage competitive soccer players to combine education with their athletic endeavors.

- Whitecaps National Training Centre - plans for it to be built in Delta for $25m.

- WFC owner Greg Kerfoot pays $20,000 a year each to 20 Canadian Women's team players.

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
NO Vancouver doesn't deserve an MLS franchise as frankly MLS doesn't deserve Vancouver look at all they do. Alot of that isn't exactly allowed in MLS

Beach_Red
02-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Deserving may not be the question but Vancouver has proven that it's worthy of a shot for a MLS franchise and dare I say any other bid that's currently out there.

Is there a reason why Vancouver didn't come into the league atthe same time as TFC?

GeorgeB
02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
any canadian team gaining entry into mls is a good thing . even if it is Ottawa.

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Ottawa will fail. Bad idea. I love it for convenience of travel, but it's going to be like Columbus Part II.

thats what people said for TFC..and were proven wrong...just like your wrong in this case.

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Is there a reason why Vancouver didn't come into the league atthe same time as TFC?

Vancouver cant get a SS built and until that happens or plans get under way for that to Happen Vancouver should not be considered...That said they would be a lot more appealing then say Montreal who rotally blew their chance...SO TFC, Ott, and Van would be the best possible MLS sites in Canada, with Montreal sating in USL until they get their act together.

alexintoronto
02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I hope Ottawa gets it. If they have the best bid they should.

If you think Vancouver and Montreal deserve it more because of attendance to USL games - that logic would have meant Toronto doesn't get an MLS Franchise either.

Technorgasm
02-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Psych! Suckered you into my thread, now didn't I!

Well, it's not for certain yet, but;

http://www.ottawasun.com/News/OttawaAndRegion/2009/02/10/8341791.html

DAM NYOU AZERBAN!!! DAMn YOU!!!! haha

thanks for the info though.
I thikn kwe are all excited about having a road-trip rival so close to home.

MTL? regretfully only for the C-Cup.
but Ottawa in MLS?

heaven help that city if they have toput up with our lot 2x a year.

Where is Miami? or a killer locale like that?
shite.

GeorgeB
02-11-2009, 02:10 PM
I hope Ottawa gets it. If they have the best bid they should.

If you think Vancouver and Montreal deserve it more because of attendance to USL games - that logic would have meant Toronto doesn't get an MLS Franchise either.its well known that Montreal papers the house as well.Saputo didnt want to take the risk and Gillete is maxed out money wise.Montreal's only hope to get into the mls is if someone else buys the team from Saputo ,because he not getting a francise anytime soon.

S_D
02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Ives asked Garber...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/usa-vs-mexico-matchday-commentary.html

12:37pm- Garber poured some cold water on the buzz out of Ottawa that its bid is now a front-runner in the expansion race. He clarified that the Ottawa bid will have a "good chance" of being chosen if a good stadium project is approved.

so in other words... no chance at all. Garber is playing Ottawa to get the other bidding cities to get their finger out

Beach_Red
02-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Ives asked Garber...

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/usa-vs-mexico-matchday-commentary.html

so in other words... no chance at all. Garber is playing Ottawa to get the other bidding cities to get their finger out

But if those other cities don't........

Mojo
02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
MLS is just pandering to Ottawa before they reject them. Television rights are a huge factor and Ottawa simply holds no television viewing power.

What viewing power do places like KC, Columbus, and Utah have?

Stouffville_RPB
02-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Did and enjoyed it, as I normally do with Ben's columns. I don't know why Ottawa and the CFL are trying to mix again. They could be ruinning something really good for the sport and the city.

S_D
02-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Ottawa has no chance whatsoever. They are being played. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

Wagner
02-11-2009, 02:22 PM
as far as metro area population.
Ottawa is a lot smaller than MTL and VanCity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_metropolitan_areas_in_Cana da

boban
02-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Why?
It's full of idiotic logic.

boban
02-11-2009, 02:31 PM
How about, because Vancouver has the Whitecaps & Montreal has the Impact, both cities have thriving soccer teams with good support, seems pretty logical to me.
But Toronto proved that lower league soccer support, or lack thereof is totally irrelevant for a gauge on getting a MLS franchise.

Beach_Red
02-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Ottawa has no chance whatsoever. They are being played. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

This is probably true. Ottawa is really only in the mix to improve the bids from St. Louis and Portland. But it could backfire on the league if Ottawa actually has the money in hand and the best bid.

boban
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Ottawa isn’t likely to build a stadium that isn’t specifically designed for CFL football, which is after all, more viable than MLS soccer. Whether or not that stadium can/will double as a soccer pitch is another question.
How is that more viable when the stadium only get 10 dates max under the CFL but gets 20+ dates with an MLS team?

boban
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Ottawa's metro region is around 1.3 million.
An hour to 1.5 hrs out it gets to 2 million +.

olegunnar
02-11-2009, 02:54 PM
How's the stadium negotiations in Ottawa going anyways?
Did they need a bit of a push?
This whole...if they have a stadium they'll get a team is great and all...but that's a HUGE "if".

olegunnar
02-11-2009, 02:56 PM
That said...after reading the article...I hope they get the soccer stadium...if only to spite and stiffle the CFL.

nascarguy
02-11-2009, 03:05 PM
did anyone hear that hamilton cfl team owners want a new stadium that can hold 20,000 to 30,000 seats.The new stadium would be used for all sports and to try to get 2014 Commonwealth Games but do you think that in 5 to 10year hamilton could try to get a soccer team in the usl or mls.

edit

boban
02-11-2009, 03:08 PM
did anyone hear that hamilton cfl team owners want a new stadium that can hold 20,000 to 30,000 seats. do you think that in 5 to 10year hamilton could have a soccer team in the usl or mls.
Yes. That's been in the works for about 10 years now.
Gained more ground recently as the stadium is becoming too old to maintain.

jloome
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Heh hehe, Roogsy, it's MLS. They practically have to pay TV stations to run it. Television rights aren't an issue yet, although I'm sure they will be a decade down the line.

The broader issue, which I think is what you're getting at, is that the American public -- which isn't generally sold on soccer -- isn't going to get any more excited about it if their local team is playing "Ottawa."

I love the city, I think a team would do well, and most of my family lives there. But why would an MLS fan like Ottawa?

If they give it to Ottawa, it's purely on the strength of the gamble that Melnyk will allow a fan-based atmosphere like Toronto's to flourish, which will continue to ratchet up the fervour in other fan bases, as we've seen in MLS to date. If people think Seattle would've sold 18,000 season tickets without Toronto having set the bar, they're kidding themselves.

Garber may well be reasoning that, should the SSS be in place, Ottawa will probably sell out as well -- based on Canadian multiculturalism factors alone -- and more U.S. fan bases will follow suit. He may also have been convinced that that's a stronger force in Ottawa than either Montreal or Vancouver, true or not.

S_D
02-11-2009, 04:12 PM
What viewing power do places like KC, Columbus, and Utah have?

It is more appealing to the National Networks as their advertisers like the mass reach. Greater the reach = the more the networks can charge for advertising.

Big brands will still buy local TV if it is in their list of priority markets but with advertising being cut back due to the economy, some of the smaller places will become less important.

Bender
02-11-2009, 07:06 PM
this is great news!!! Get it built Ottawa!!!!

MUFC_Niagara
02-11-2009, 09:56 PM
before you say it was a dumb fucking comment....

Montreal has a USL team that's doing pretty well for itself at the moment.
Vancouver also has a decent USL team and is hosting the Olympics (aka free press for the new team)
Toronto is the biggest city in the country and a big sports market.

Ottawa has a W-USL team. That's about it.

yours was a dumb reply.

Ottawa has a minor league baseball team, an NHL team, and an OHL team. I stand by the fact it was a dumb comment, it was a comment typical of someone from Toronto with that "downtotwn" attitude.

MUFC_Niagara
02-11-2009, 10:00 PM
as far as metro area population.
Ottawa is a lot smaller than MTL and VanCity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_100_largest_metropolitan_areas_in_Cana da

You can't look at those stats though Wagner. Ottawa, unlike Toronto grow from the outside in. No one really lives downtown in Ottawa. There is a city by-law outlawing any building being taller than the peace tower on parliament hill. That means no tall condos and obviously there is not a lot of housing downtown. Kanata, South Keys, Orleans, Cumberland Village, Nepean.....thats where people live and ultimately is what feeds "metro" Ottawa.

james
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I sure as hell did....if that was the case then over half of the teams in MLS would not exist!

ya but those teams are whats bringing the league down. Because of them are salary cap is so low because they generate no money. The plan is for sure to only reward cities MLS franchises if they show they can fill stadiums. If the cap is to raise in the near future those teams may not last if they dont start filling those seats.

MUFC_Niagara
02-11-2009, 10:15 PM
ya but those teams are whats bringing the league down. Because of them are salary cap is so low because they generate no money. The plan is for sure to only reward cities MLS franchises if they show they can fill stadiums. If the cap is to raise in the near future those teams may not last if they dont start filling those seats.

A plan which they will never be able to implement the way the league stands now. So why not give Ottawa the franchise and let them follow the TFC brand.

AL-MO
02-11-2009, 10:49 PM
I would like Ottawa to get a team simply for the road trips! :D

S_D
02-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I am just wondering where they are going to get their Canadian players from if Ottawa gets it (I still think it is highly unlikely).

We could see Braz and Reda back in the MLS :)

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-11-2009, 11:00 PM
I am just wondering where they are going to get their Canadian players from if Ottawa gets it (I still think it is highly unlikely).

Steal some from the Impact, some of their Canadian players would jump at the chance.

Mark in Ottawa
02-12-2009, 06:50 AM
... despite what people in the big city of Toronto think, Ottawa is a multicultural city just like Toronto.
Not quite. True we have people here from all over the world but by virtue of sheer scale we can't lay claim to being "just like Toronto" in this regard.

Mark in Ottawa
02-12-2009, 07:00 AM

That remains to be seen. The CFL has failed here, twice, and the fan base they once had is aging.

Lets be realistic. Ottawa has not had a successful CFL team as far as winning since the early 1980's. The local "pointy ball" scene is a mere shadow of its former self. In the 1970's every high school in the city had a team, many had two... junior & senior. This is no longer the case.

The youngster of today have not had exposure to the CFL game. What they know is what they see on NFL sundays.

Conversely many of todays youngsters in Ottawa have played soccer. If not in organized leagues, of which there are many, they have played at school and in informal park pickup games. Soccer is suddenly available to be viewed... Setanta Sports, GOL TV, Sportsnet, The Score and even the occaisional CBC broadcast.

The time is right. The sport is growing (despite the CSA) and now is the time to, as Eugene Melnyk says "Bring the world to Ottawa".

Mark in Ottawa
02-12-2009, 07:15 AM
... No one really lives downtown in Ottawa. There is a city by-law outlawing any building being taller than the peace tower on parliament hill.

Wrong! The bylaw was recinded in the 1970's when the the twin towers of Place de Ville were constructed 6 blocks from Parliament Hill.

Major buildings have been constructed since like Minto Place and Constitution Square but as you correctly state no one lives there they are office towers for commercial tenants.

People flocked to the suburbs because land was cheap, gas was cheap and the suburbs weren't run by the City of Ottawa. The seperate and distinct city governments in the outskirts were well run and provided a good standard of living compared to what the average family could afford in the downtown core.

The City of Ottawa official plan calls for intensification within the green belt surrounding the city but the local politicians don't have the guts or the brains to hire proper city planners to get us there over time. Ever since Ottawa became the megacity it is today the local government has ramped up the building of the outskirts and our city is poorer, financially and culturally, for it.

T_Mizz
02-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Where's the Air Marshall Mark just Hijacked the thread haha:D
Although he appears to know more about Ottawa than anyone else, do you suppose he lives there?

Kooper
02-12-2009, 02:13 PM

Yeah I don't see it either, all they have is
A bigger population so a bigger viewing audience and fan base to draw from.

Established USL team with long term support

Soccer Specific Stadium

I grew up in Ottawa, I will go for all the Derbies but frankly there is no way Ottawa deserves a team before Vancouver or Montreal. With the league keen on capping the league at 20 teams, an MLS without Montreal or Vancouver would be a bigger travesty.

Kooper
02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
any canadian team gaining entry into mls is a good thing . even if it is Ottawa.

The only problem is you then dilute the already thin pool of Canadian players.

Kooper
02-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Ottawa's metro region is around 1.3 million.
An hour to 1.5 hrs out it gets to 2 million +.

Gatineau can only be considered a part of Ottawa if the stadium is downtown. If the stadium is in Kanata the trek is long and hard. Manageable for a Sens game harder for a new team.

Cambridge_Red
02-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Did Nascar rename this thread??

Kooper
02-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Ottawa has a minor league baseball team, an NHL team, and an OHL team. I stand by the fact it was a dumb comment, it was a comment typical of someone from Toronto with that "downtotwn" attitude.

The baseball team died in 2007.

The "downtown attitude" does help when people are coming from all over town to a central location. TFC would not be nearly as successful if the stadium wasn't on TTC or in the middle of the city. The Kanata Stadium would be like putting BMO up at York University. TTC accessible but not fun for anyone and hard to drive to for more than 1/2 the city.

TorontoBlades
02-12-2009, 02:40 PM

With an single headed (as in not a board of directors) owner such as Melnyk. I think they would likely have a DP before us....

T_Mizz
02-12-2009, 02:42 PM
^True and they're coming into the league in 2011

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah I don't see it either, all they have is
A bigger population so a bigger viewing audience and fan base to draw from.

Established USL team with long term support

Soccer Specific Stadium

I grew up in Ottawa, I will go for all the Derbies but frankly there is no way Ottawa deserves a team before Vancouver or Montreal. With the league keen on capping the league at 20 teams, an MLS without Montreal or Vancouver would be a bigger travesty.

Off course Ottawa deserves a team before Montral and Vancouver, Ottawa has plans for a proper SSS being Built....Vancouver has not, and Garver said himself BC Place is not what the league wants for Stadiums.
Montreal Impact are a clown outfit as was proven by their attempt to make their own deal in the expansion process....Ottawa before these cities, and if were lucky Vancouver and Montreal will never get into MLS!

MUFC_Niagara
02-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Not quite. True we have people here from all over the world but by virtue of sheer scale we can't lay claim to being "just like Toronto" in this regard.

Ottawa gets the most African and Colombian refugees in Canada, that's two huge markets right there. Ottawa is multicultural, maybe not as large as Toronto, but it is multicultural.

MUFC_Niagara
02-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Wrong! The bylaw was recinded in the 1970's when the the twin towers of Place de Ville were constructed 6 blocks from Parliament Hill.

Major buildings have been constructed since like Minto Place and Constitution Square but as you correctly state no one lives there they are office towers for commercial tenants.

People flocked to the suburbs because land was cheap, gas was cheap and the suburbs weren't run by the City of Ottawa. The seperate and distinct city governments in the outskirts were well run and provided a good standard of living compared to what the average family could afford in the downtown core.

The City of Ottawa official plan calls for intensification within the green belt surrounding the city but the local politicians don't have the guts or the brains to hire proper city planners to get us there over time. Ever since Ottawa became the megacity it is today the local government has ramped up the building of the outskirts and our city is poorer, financially and culturally, for it.

As far as I know the law is still in effect they have just made exceptions for some buildings.

H Bomb
02-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Ottawa gets the most African and Colombian refugees in Canada, that's two huge markets right there. Ottawa is multicultural, maybe not as large as Toronto, but it is multicultural.

those aren't huge markets dude. Those are two largish markets maybe, but they're also refugees which often means leaving a huge amount behind. Meaning that their buying power is very very low.

Ottawa is a big small town, and not at all the type of place they should be looking at IMO. Another middle of nowhere place trying to make a niche out of the worlds most popular game.

Also 50% of Torontonians are immigrants...that's 50% of millions, meaning there are more immigrants in toronto than people in Ottawa. And the immigrants are a parge part of Toronto's success

Azerban
02-12-2009, 10:40 PM
no not ottawa don't give them a team i hate 4 and a half hour away trips

no seriously if couver and montreal can't get their act together they can rot in usl who cares ontario supremacy fo lyfe

Razcle
02-12-2009, 11:10 PM
^ I have to agree. If Ottawa can get the stadium deal done...They should get in because Montreal and Vancouver already have established teams and now we will have 4 Canadian Teams for our Nutrilite Voyageurs Cup

RealG-TFC
02-12-2009, 11:19 PM
did anyone hear that hamilton cfl team owners want a new stadium that can hold 20,000 to 30,000 seats.The new stadium would be used for all sports and to try to get 2014 Commonwealth Games but do you think that in 5 to 10year hamilton could try to get a soccer team in the usl or mls.

edit

LOL you're not serious right? I'm sorry in advance If I didn't understand your humour.

Ever since Ottawa became the megacity it is today the local government has ramped up the building of the outskirts and our city is poorer, financially and culturally, for it.

FYI, Megacity is a city of 10mil+

Toronto Ruffrider
02-12-2009, 11:59 PM
LOL you're not serious right? I'm sorry in advance If I didn't understand your humour.

FYI, Megacity is a city of 10mil+

In this case, a "Megacity" refers to a city that was amalgamated under the provincial conservatives in the late '90s. In this sense, Toronto is also a megacity, as it used to consist of five separate cities and one borough that were more loosely governed by the Metropolitan government.

The traditional definition of a megacity is obviously more accurate, as it includes only extremely large cities. Ottawa is fairly large by Canadian standards, but there isn't "mega" about it.

B45
02-13-2009, 12:14 AM
The have a team for baseball, the AAA Lynx folded in 2007 but they now have a team in the Can-Am Independent league. It's struggling, but it's still there. :canada:
The baseball team died in 2007.

The "downtown attitude" does help when people are coming from all over town to a central location. TFC would not be nearly as successful if the stadium wasn't on TTC or in the middle of the city. The Kanata Stadium would be like putting BMO up at York University. TTC accessible but not fun for anyone and hard to drive to for more than 1/2 the city.

nascarguy
02-13-2009, 12:38 AM

i though the same thing but the city vote on it this weekend right now the place is for the tiger cats.

In the news paper the city as to pick a pool for kids or a new home for the tiger cats.

If i was the city i would pick the stadium the city would make more money on a new stadium bmo makes a 1m+ i think

GhostPK
02-13-2009, 12:42 AM

WhitecRaps have good support? What heavily biased Vancouver paper do you read? Granted the local elementary school gives away tickets to fill the stadium, but actual support? Maybe they forgot to show up when TFC was in town. If I was a whitecRap supporter, I would have been embarassed :P

nascarguy
02-13-2009, 12:44 AM
no not ottawa don't give them a team i hate 4 and a half hour away trips

no seriously if couver and montreal can't get their act together they can rot in usl who cares ontario supremacy fo lyfe
montreal is never getting a team they have piss off the mls

Dunkers
02-13-2009, 01:11 AM
WhitecRaps have good support? What heavily biased Vancouver paper do you read? Granted the local elementary school gives away tickets to fill the stadium, but actual support? Maybe they forgot to show up when TFC was in town. If I was a whitecRap supporter, I would have been embarassed :P

Uhh the whitecaps do get good coverage out here, highlights are regularly featured on Sportsnet, which is more then i remember happening for the Linx back in TO.

Not to mention in 2008 the Caps averaged attendance was 4999 (http://www.soccercityusa.com/2008uslatt.html), which sounds crappy until you realize the stadium only seats 5228!!

Watching one game on your television doesn’t make you informed on a teams support! GEEZ!

Cashcleaner
02-13-2009, 04:22 AM
Uhh the whitecaps do get good coverage out here, highlights are regularly featured on Sportsnet, which is more then i remember happening for the Linx back in TO.

Not to mention in 2008 the Caps averaged attendance was 4999 (http://www.soccercityusa.com/2008uslatt.html), which sounds crappy until you realize the stadium only seats 5228!!

Watching one game on your television doesn’t make you informed on a teams support! GEEZ!

Well, if you look at it logically, though... I mean, if they were playing in a stadium that seats 10,000 or 15,000 it's still not likely to boost the number of people actually going to the event.

Kooper
02-13-2009, 07:59 AM
The have a team for baseball, the AAA Lynx folded in 2007 but they now have a team in the Can-Am Independent league. It's struggling, but it's still there. :canada:

I think my point is valid. They couldn't support the AAA Lynx team and now they are fighting to support a lower league team.

Montreal or Vancouver should get the MLS team. One of their USL teams should go to Ottawa then in 5 or 6 years if the USL team does well then Ottawa can make a bid for an MLS team.

RealG-TFC
02-13-2009, 03:40 PM
i though the same thing but the city vote on it this weekend right now the place is for the tiger cats.

In the news paper the city as to pick a pool for kids or a new home for the tiger cats.

If i was the city i would pick the stadium the city would make more money on a new stadium bmo makes a 1m+ i think

Oh yeah, but that will be for the PanAms, not the CGs.