PDA

View Full Version : TFC Schedule on TV

Luanda
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Just took a look at the schedule on the TCF website. Still no news regarding TV coverage by Canadian broadcaster. Any word on this? Or is TFC again forcing us to wait until the last possible minute?

James Oliphant
02-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Dude...the schedule was just announced. You have to give TFC time to talk to broadcasters and sell the games to them.

Besides, what does it matter? Do you really set your PVR 8 months in advance?

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Dude...the schedule was just announced. You have to give TFC time to talk to broadcasters and sell the games to them.

:rofl:

Also, I am wondering if GOL TV will pick up any games now that MLSE has swallowed it...

mlsintoronto
02-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Likely CBC, Sportsnet, and gol.

James Oliphant
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Hmmm...I wonder why Gol.....

Hey Paul, feel like helping me get a job at Insight? ;)

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
:rofl:

Also, I am wondering if GOL TV will pick up any games now that MLSE has swallowed it...

They said they will try and get some games on this year, it may take another season...What i would like Gol this season would be to pick up
non TFC games and cover the league as a broacaster should...TFC games could be repeated so those who miss the original broadcast could
see it again. Show TFC friendlies , TFC tv (actually on TV), this will be good for the tteam long term

Damien
02-10-2009, 09:36 PM
GolTV will wind up showing Leafs games :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
GolTV will wind up showing Leafs games :D

can the leafs score a gol??:D

olegunnar
02-10-2009, 09:42 PM

For road games maybe send that Luke guy to commentate ? :rolleyes: Then show it on Gol?

That would be a million times better than picking up the feed from the americans.

James17930
02-10-2009, 10:22 PM

That's good. The Score was never a great option (nothing against them, really, just they don't have the same recognition as other channels).

nfitz
02-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Surely The Score had more recognition than GOL. The Score also surely has wider distribution, being part of the extended cable package that has been around for a decade.

And The Score has at least aired the occasional game in HD - which is more than I can say for GOL.

But I agree, it seems more likely that we will see game on GOL - at least we won't have that annoying ticker ...

Phil
02-10-2009, 10:31 PM
^^well the score just pickup the local feed for the games so we have to sit through painful douchebag commentary. At least if Gol was showing the games there may be an outside chance of piped in commentary from someone who knows the players on our team.

T_Mizz
02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't count on it I think Gol has less viewership than score as its a premium channel and the score is fairly basic. Plus TFC just doesn't get enough ratings to justify sending commentators anywhere outside of BMO

Phil
02-10-2009, 11:02 PM
You don't need to send them anywhere in order to do a studio commentary. That was done a few times with Sportsnet last year.
IE: Pick the feed up from the US and comment on the game from the studio in Toronto.

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 11:21 PM

Thanks Paul. Is the three channel plan designed to try and avoid delayed "re-live" coverage?

Luanda
02-11-2009, 06:39 AM

Dude, I need one year's advance notice!

akoto
02-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I really hope that the majority of games will be on the CBC. We need it to really grow the brand. I don't think many casual fans will pay for Goltv just to see TFC. I would, but I also payed $15/month on Setanta. With that being said, I am very happy The score is not going to be broadcasting them this year. Picture quality was horrible, and the American Announcers were brutal. It would be nice to hear some informed commentary.

Cowboy905
02-11-2009, 09:24 AM
MLSE needs time to clear the sale with the CRTC. that alone will probably take a year as the CRTC aren't really quick at anything.

look how long the CHUM sale and the AllianceAtlantis sale took! (I work in TV and follow this stuff)

I wouldn't expect anything on GOL until next season.

akoto
02-11-2009, 09:33 AM

I'll take Paul's word over yours. lol

nfitz
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I really hope that the majority of games will be on the CBC.I'd assume when Paul says CBC, that would mean both the main channel, and CBC Bold.

I don't really care where they are, as long as we get more in HD - or at least widescreen, like all of CBC's Montreal Impact games are (on SRC at least).

Miko
02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
MLSE needs time to clear the sale with the CRTC. that alone will probably take a year as the CRTC aren't really quick at anything.

look how long the CHUM sale and the AllianceAtlantis sale took! (I work in TV and follow this stuff)

The sale won't really affect if Gol TV will show games - it's just a matter of them buying the rights from MLSE which they can do before acquiring CRTC approval..

Larry Tannebaum already owns 20% of Gol so it should be a pretty easy deal to make.

This deal is different from the Alliance Atlantis sale as there were other issues involved (American Hedge Fund ownership had to be vetted due to the 20% rule which isn't an issue here).

GabrielHurl
02-11-2009, 10:18 AM

should have asked 4 months ago then

Luanda
02-11-2009, 10:59 AM
should have asked 4 months ago then

Not 4 months, but I did ask for the schedule first a while back before it was announced. When it was, no mention at all on Canadian broadcasts. Hence, after waiting patiently now for some weeks, I raised the issue in this forum.

Not everyone lives their lives on a day-to-day basis.

BFin
02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I'll take Paul's word over yours. lol

From what I am hearing, thats a good idea.
(re: gol TV)

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Surely The Score had more recognition than GOL. The Score also surely has wider distribution, being part of the extended cable package that has been around for a decade.

And The Score has at least aired the occasional game in HD - which is more than I can say for GOL.

But I agree, it seems more likely that we will see game on GOL - at least we won't have that annoying ticker ...

go into a bar..sportbar and actually watch that no one really pays attention to the score...they would rather talk to the pals/girls only
once in a while pop their head up to look at a score...No one watchs it
TFC would be better on Gol over the score as footie fans would appreciate games being on a footie channel.

BFin
02-11-2009, 03:55 PM
go into a bar..sportbar and actually watch that no one really pays attention to the score...they would rather talk to the pals/girls only
once in a while pop their head up to look at a score...No one watchs it
TFC would be better on Gol over the score as footie fans would appreciate games being on a footie channel.
TFC is great anywhere.
Have patience my loyal friends. Things will happen sooner rather than later.

James Oliphant
02-12-2009, 06:19 AM

No...you don't. Not when the average television requires about 10 seconds to power-up.

Blizzard
02-12-2009, 07:30 PM

Just because MLSE will not yet technically be owner of GOL doesn't preclude GOL from showing TFC matches.

Considering some of the very the low viewership numbers, they may turn out to be the only option.