PDA

View Full Version : 5 Trialist 3 Spots!

Shway
02-10-2009, 06:11 PM
So with there now being 3 roster spots left, and we currently have 5 trialists (that we know of) consisting of Darren Kenton CB, Kyle Hall MD, Gregory Richardson F/MD, Michael McGlinchey ?, and Pablo Salinas Manacho MD. What 3 do you think would or should fit the spot for TFC with the salary cap and allocation we have at the moment?

I personally think that TFC should sign the likes of Darrent Kenton first because of his experience, and we now DESPERATELY need a CB, with Marshall out the door, and Kenton could get a salary around the likes of 150k.
Gregory Richardson would be my second sign, because of his perfomance against New England he deserves some credit, and with all the speed, and finishing ability, i dont think he would be someone we would want to pas up, and he could get a salary of 100k+
My last signee would be home grown Kyle Hall, because he is :canada:, and he is also another quick pacey player, and he has alot of talent, and he could get a pay around 50-60k.

ExiledRed
02-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Kenton's a lock, unless he doesn't want to come.

Remember, TFC is as much on trial as the player, as we learned from Musampa last year.

rocker
02-10-2009, 06:13 PM
i haven't really seen any of these guys play, except the highlights of Richardson in that one game. I think signing a defender would be paramount, but if this Kenton doesn't impress in trial, they shouldn't sign him just because.

I'm not sure about Kyle Hall being worth 50-60K tho... if he has a good training camp, sign him and put him on the dev roster and give Nana or Gala a senior spot, or put him on the senior roster at 35K or whatever the senior minimum is.

ben_vw
02-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Are you sure Kyle Hall is a trialist? He was a draft pick, so if he's a trialist than O'Brien White, Sam Cronin, and Stefan Frei might as well be considered trialists.

icecoldbeer
02-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Sounds like there is a chance for a reality show...

TFC IDOL!

TFC OZZ
02-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm not too sold on Kenton just yet, like wasn't he just released from Cheltenham? Regardless, if he impresses, we should pick him up because we need defenders, but I am a bigger fan of McGlinchey so far.

Azerban
02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Sounds like there is a chance for a reality show...

TFC IDOL!

why not seattle and chivas have done it

TFC07
02-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Are you sure Kyle Hall is a trialist? He was a draft pick, so if he's a trialist than O'Brien White, Sam Cronin, and Stefan Frei might as well be considered trialists.

I think Hall hasn't signed a contract yet while other rookies did.

ben_vw
02-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I think Hall hasn't signed a contract yet while other rookies did.

I see. Very well then, continue :)

Shway
02-10-2009, 06:19 PM
i haven't really seen any of these guys play, except the highlights of Richardson in that one game. I think signing a defender would be paramount, but if this Kenton doesn't impress in trial, they shouldn't sign him just because.

I'm not sure about Kyle Hall being worth 50-60K tho... if he has a good training camp, sign him and put him on the dev roster and give Nana or Gala a senior spot, or put him on the senior roster at 35K or whatever the senior minimum is.

Yea i agree with that, i just threw those numbers out there for Hall, only because i played with him :p

noochie
02-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm not too sold on Kenton just yet, like wasn't he just released from Cheltenham? Regardless, if he impresses, we should pick him up because we need defenders, but I am a bigger fan of McGlinchey so far.

He was not released... they offered him a contract and he turned it down. Too lazy to find the BBC link at the moment.

Shway
02-10-2009, 06:24 PM
^^that is correct, i know what article your talking about

I think everyone is just stuck with the fact that McGlinchey played for Celtic, i dont think with need another Chad Barret, and he hasn't proved himself, even if he didnt get the chance

(in rafa voice) we have to considered the facts

and im for Richardson who single hand sodomized the Revolution

James Oliphant
02-10-2009, 06:39 PM
and im for Richardson who single hand sodomized the Revolution

...and did nothing else the rest of the tourney.

Shaughno
02-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Nor the rest of his career so far. :lol:

I think we're good with attacking options to be honest, with young talent in the mix as well. I don't necessarily think we need much in the mid department, but hey if the player is an upgrade over a current player, for the right price.... why not?

I want to hear someone's report on Kenton from training camp!

rocker
02-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I see. Very well then, continue :)

yes, the TFC web site is your friend... ;)

right now it says on the official roster Hall is classified as a UDF... Unsigned Draft Pick.

Luke Wileman interviewed him on Day 1 on TFC TV and made it sound like he already made the team... when really he's fighting for a spot.

Looks like he's being tested against all those other trialists at his position. If he gets signed tho there's no way he's making more than the very minimum at whatever category (senior roster or dev).

I'll reserve judgement til I see these guys play at Charleston (if they have that sweet web stream again!).

There could be more trialists. Last year there were two waves of trialists in training camp.

Luanda
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
With respect to K. Hall, he remains unsigned. Perhaps that is the reason he is considered a trialist?

Luanda
02-10-2009, 06:52 PM
The wonders of the internet, people with similar ideas/thoughts writing into a forum simultaneously.

Anyway, there is no saying that any, if all, of the trialists will be signed. K. Hall may be just an insurance policy.

jloome
02-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't know about dropping McGlinchey so fast. With that youth rep not flowering over the last two years (mostly off for injury, I think) he might be like Vitti, still waiting for the big break despite lots of hype. That header was a real attacker's header too, charging into the box at just the right moment to the back post.

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 07:39 PM
McGlinchey and Hall are probably fighting for the last midfield/forward spot.

The new CB and Kenton (or another CB) are the last 2 roster spots.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I suspect McGinchey, Kenton and another CB (if theres one lined up) will be signed.
If not the last spot is being fought for by Hall, Salinas and Gregory (who i think WILL NOT impress)

T_Mizz
02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Really I can't see Hall not being signed as he'll be paid in peanuts and can play out wide as a winger or midfielder or as a striker he's got so much versatility for nothing so he'll be signed

DigzTFC!
02-10-2009, 11:11 PM
McGlinchey is a winger I think.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2009, 11:13 PM
and an attacking mid

twistedchinaman
02-10-2009, 11:23 PM
why not seattle and chivas have done it

Oh wait, I've heard something about that...

DigzTFC!
02-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Ben Starosta, Jack Pelter, Jaroslaw Fojut or andrew cave-brown

Sean Keay at U-Sector says look out for these guys in the next few days

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Nice find Digz!

Yohan
02-10-2009, 11:37 PM

giambac is going to flip at all the young UK based defenders coming to try out.
IIRC Pelter? Peltier? is product of Liverpool youth academy. Fojut Bolton and Cave-Brown Newcastle. Starosta sounds familiar but dunno where he's from

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 11:39 PM
^^^ All defenders. I think they are all trying out for the 2nd CB position. Mo has one CB who won't need a trial.....just my opinion.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
they all look like they fit the part in the CB dept, all are young which is both good and bad (we want youth to stick around but experience is much needed int he back), all have reasonable pedigree that suggests they can compete in this league
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Starosta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Pelter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%C5%82aw_Fojut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cave-Brown

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
i wonder if anyone else is being shipped out
I could see Johann Smith to make room for McGinchey

Daveisonfire
02-10-2009, 11:46 PM

Wikis:

Ben Starosta

Jack Pelter

Jaroslaw Fojut
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaroslaw_Fojut

Andrew Cave-Brown

Edit: too slow

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Plus there’s the young Gambian players Dichio mentions in his blog. I’m impressed that everyone Mo’s bringing in is on the younger side. It’s too bad we don’t have a bigger roster, it sounds like there’s a strong chance some good players are going to be victims of the numbers game.

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Ben Starosta played at BMO Field during the U-20 World Cup in the 3-1 loss to Argentina.

DigzTFC!
02-11-2009, 12:00 AM
we do have expendable guys: velez, harmse, rosenlund, edwards

Blizzard
02-11-2009, 12:01 AM
i wonder if anyone else is being shipped out
I could see Johann Smith to make room for McGinchey

I was going to bring up this possibility as well, not in regards to Johann necessarilly though.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Dont think that the gambians will be playing immediately, i suspect itll be for the academy, after all they are just 16-17

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2009, 12:20 AM
we do have expendable guys: velez, harmse, rosenlund, edwards

very true, ill be surprised to see the canadians go over the other two.
Is Edwards a senior?
If so id say hes the first to go from that lot

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Someone at the V’s forum has posted that Roselund is no longer with TFC. I hope that’s not the case, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

oxygenatedbrain
02-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Two of those English kids (Starosta and C-B) are primarily RBs...at Sheffield they have even called Starosta a winger sometimes...maybe he can play in the middle, who knows ?
Hasn't Kenton played more right back than CB during his career? I wonder if they anticipate needing right backs in the nearish future?

Fojut would be a nice acquisition at CB, I think...not only the brief Luton connection with Carver, but a veteran of Bolton reserves along with Jo Smith.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2009, 01:28 AM
Someone at the V’s forum has posted that Roselund is no longer with TFC. I hope that’s not the case, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

yeah, i hope not too but i wouldnt be surprised.
thats pretty brutal i liked the dude and thought he had a greater upside than downside

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Two of those English kids (Starosta and C-B) are primarily RBs...at Sheffield they have even called Starosta a winger sometimes...maybe he can play in the middle, who knows ?
Hasn't Kenton played more right back than CB during his career? I wonder if they anticipate needing right backs in the nearish future?

Fojut would be a nice acquisition at CB, I think...not only the brief Luton connection with Carver, but a veteran of Bolton reserves along with Jo Smith.

Interesting that we are spending so much time looking around for an RB, i guess Wynne will be gone for national games but even then we have Velez unless they dont have much faith in him.

maninb
02-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Fojut and Pelter both look like BIG YOUNG CBs...with some decent int'l experience...what's not to like!!!

rocker
02-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Interesting that we are spending so much time looking around for an RB, i guess Wynne will be gone for national games but even then we have Velez unless they dont have much faith in him.

it's good to trial at any position, because you never know if he's maybe better suited for a different spot, or in case a current player might be leaving, or even down the road -- a year from now.... you can maybe go back and get the kid.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-11-2009, 09:55 AM
if there not taken.
Good points.
pretty psyched to see where this all goes

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm somewhat confuzzled here with the exception of one of them these guys seem to be under contract, can they really just come and trial with us?
Also I am usually a fan of youth but for the most part that is hand in hand with inexperience and I feel that is what we need in a CB right now.

Billy the kid
02-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I wonder if the team is anticipating offers for Wynne. That could explain the trials for right backs.

Billy the kid
02-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I see someone wrote that already, never mind.

jloome
02-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I'd give odds that they move Guevara or release him before the all-star break.

I know he's our best player; but he has insisted, twice, to the press in Honduras that this is his last year in MLS, then he's going home. We already have formation problems because he and DeRo play the same spot. And we're trialing many more international players than we have spaces for.

Plus, there are teams that will happily take him, even for less than a full season, in exchange for some allocation cash or a draft pick.

jloome
02-11-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm somewhat confuzzled here with the exception of one of them these guys seem to be under contract, can they really just come and trial with us?
Also I am usually a fan of youth but for the most part that is hand in hand with inexperience and I feel that is what we need in a CB right now.

British teams will often tell a youth player in advance if he's going to be released at the end of his last contract year, or if they'll release him on a free or low fee after a trial.

jloome
02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Can't see Pelter making it, if he couldn't knock Andy Boyens out of the Kiwi's starting lineup.

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
he is younger remember that

ginkster88
02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Pelter sounds like the real deal, if you believe all the press around him.

ccopela
02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
With these new trialists it shows that Mo was scouting the U-20 tournament fairly thoroughly in 2007 as Pelter and Starosta were both at the tournament. Not to mention that Johann Smith was at the tournament as well before he became a member of the club. Or else that's just pure coincidence i don't know.

Shway
02-11-2009, 02:12 PM
^i wouldnt think so, Johann didnt even play

ccopela
02-11-2009, 02:15 PM
^i wouldnt think so, Johann didnt even play

Nonetheless, I don't see why Mo wouldn't have scouted the tournament in his own backyard it be pretty stupid if he didn't. I always assumed he did, I think this might finally be some evidence of that.

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-11-2009, 02:19 PM
"Andrew Cave-Brown" sounds a little public school.

rocker
02-11-2009, 02:30 PM
i first read it as CAVE MAN

oxygenatedbrain
02-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Nonetheless, I don't see why Mo wouldn't have scouted the tournament in his own backyard it be pretty stupid if he didn't. I always assumed he did, I think this might finally be some evidence of that.

Why wouldn't he have?...but the fact remains Starosta's best moment in football was marking Pato out of the game in Montreal...on CBC, I'm sure you remember (they all played on TV during that tournament)...all these guys would be well known to those scouting young players in England...connections to Norwich, Sunderland, Luton, Sheffield Utd, all well trodden paths for our FO...

deschamp86
02-11-2009, 02:39 PM
According to Fojut's wiki, he transferred to Slask Wroclaw today. So I don't think he'll be coming.

ccopela
02-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Why wouldn't he have?...but the fact remains Starosta's best moment in football was marking Pato out of the game in Montreal...on CBC, I'm sure you remember (they all played on TV during that tournament)...all these guys would be well known to those scouting young players in England...connections to Norwich, Sunderland, Luton, Sheffield Utd, all well trodden paths for our FO...

True they do all have the connection with the same clubs in England we've seen time and again with players coming to TFC but at least in two of the players cases there's a little bit of extra knowledge on them thanks to the accessibility of the tournament.

I just remember hearing comments on this board after the tournament saying that TFC wasn't doing enough scouting of quality young players at the tournament (especially after New England signed a couple Gambians). I just think this might be evidence that TFC has actually keeping tabs on players from that tournament.

Shway
02-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Yea keeping tabs on the english players from the tournament right? I mean they did so good in the U-20 world cup i dont see why mo would scout them:o lol

ccopela
02-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Jack Pelter played for Sunderland and New Zealand U-20
Ben Starosta played for Sheffield United and Poland U-20

I know England wasn't at the tournament not my point.

jloome
02-11-2009, 09:18 PM
"Andrew Cave-Brown" sounds a little public school.

Dude, they call it private school over here.

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 09:25 PM
^What

UltraSuperMegaMo
02-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Private schools in England are (mostly) referred as public schools (Eton for example is a public school). Lots of upper crust Brits, and upper crusts wannabees, have hyphenated names. I was trying to make a joke.

devioustrevor
02-11-2009, 09:31 PM
they all look like they fit the part in the CB dept, all are young which is both good and bad (we want youth to stick around but experience is much needed int he back), all have reasonable pedigree that suggests they can compete in this league
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%C5%82aw_Fojut

Reading those wikis, Fojut seems to be the best bet. He's only 21, he's taller than everyone else (and thus one could surmise potentially the best in the air) and seems to have had the best club career of the lot thus far.

T_Mizz
02-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Private schools in England are (mostly) referred as public schools (Eton for example is a public school). Lots of upper crust Brits, and upper crusts wannabees, have hyphenated names. I was trying to make a joke.
I get it

ccopela
02-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Jack Pelter played for Sunderland and New Zealand U-20
Ben Starosta played for Sheffield United and Poland U-20

Just had a bit more time to look in to this and found out:

Michael McGlinchey played for Scotland U-20
Andrew Cave-Brown played for Scotland U-20
Jaroslaw Fojut played for Poland U-20

I don't have any details on if or how they played at the tournament in Canada. But it can't be just pure coincidence that all these guys played in that tournament and are now here. It probably helps that they all played in the UK too I'm not denying that. Mo may have seen something he liked and so used his contacts in the UK to get these guys over here when they became available.

Fushida
02-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Just clicked on Fojut's wiki and saw:

On February 11, 2009, he transferred to Śląsk Wrocław (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9Al%C4%85sk_Wroc%C5%82aw).[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%C5%82aw_Fojut#cite_note-slask-3)
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%C5%82aw_Fojut#cite_note-slask-3)

Ossington Mental Youth
02-12-2009, 12:37 AM
saw that too but i doubt hed be here if he wasnt available

T_Mizz
02-12-2009, 01:54 AM
Well he's not here yet, Sean Kay says they're coming but he prolly didn't know at the time as it happened today

Ossington Mental Youth
02-12-2009, 06:42 AM
could very well be

Ossington Mental Youth
02-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Looks like Fojut is definitely out judging by this article
http://www.bolton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=143497

anto7
02-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Looks like today could be a very important day for all the players particularly the trialists. Last chance for a while to see players in action in a real game. Carver said last night that they will be playing 2 games against NY today, both games will be two 25 minute halves so all 22 players will see a full 50 minutes of action.
I think some decisions will be made at the conclusion of today's proceedings.
Very exciting !