PDA

View Full Version : Marshall traded to Seattle for allocation

hodgkiss
02-10-2009, 01:55 PM
02/10/2009 11:28AM
Marshall joins Seattle Sounders FC
Reds acquire allocation money for defender
Toronto FC Media Relations

Toronto FC have acquired allocation money from Seattle for Tyrone Marshall. (Toronto FC)

Toronto FC announced Tuesday that they have acquired allocation money from expansion side Seattle Sounders FC in exchange for defender Tyrone Marshall. As per league and team policy, details of the deal were not announced.

read more (http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090210&content_id=216852&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

i guess this could mean that maybe we're making way for a new defender??? is it kelton or is it another player on the horizon?

Ageroo
02-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I was just about to post this......:)
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090210&content_id=216852&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Nodoubtguy
02-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm guessing something has to be announced soon

jloome
02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Probably for Kenton, although they may also be getting another one; I see they've played Kenton at right back, with Marvell off with the U.S. team. So they might be expecting Kenton as a solution to Wynne leaving; he's played both wide and centrally but at his height is better suited to wide, I'd assume.

That then would suggest another defender is coming in....or Harmse's switch is permanent.

Ageroo
I'm guessing something has to be announced soon

Maybe our DP!!!!! :D

justin
harmse is looking more and more like he earned a starting role at CB last season

Stencils
I guess we know what number Dero's going to be!

trane
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Wow, I had just said I wanted Marshall out of here, and its done. I guess Mo listens to me.

Pachuco
02-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Well, I now officially believe we need 2 CBs, not one. My previous opinion on needing only 1 CB was based on the fact that Tyrone would be the other CB. I mean, we can hire John Terry or Rio Ferdinand, but as long as Velez is a starting CB then we are in deep doodoo.

Steve
Haha, Mo really does love that allocation money. I wonder if he knows something we don't (ie: substantial salary cap increase for next year) and is just going to use all of this allocation money to get a "head start" on the new cap.

About this trade: Not really surprised. Marshall has lost a step, and we need a quick CB. Hopefully this means Mo has already locked up a CB replacement for him (other than harmse, though I do like how he played at the end of last year).

I_AM_CANADIAN
While I'm not happy to see him go, out of our players on the first team roster, he was the most expendable. We could use another central defender, but this might mean more playing time for Attakora-Gyan, which has to be a good thing.

TFC Cityboy
02-10-2009, 02:04 PM
This guy Allocation Money is supposed to be quite useful...either way if it's him and Velez at the heart of the defence, my bet is on Money to cost us less goals than Velez.

ccopela
Mo can't get rid of Velez he needs him to translate for Amado and Pablo

olegunnar
Wow, I had just said I wanted Marshall out of here, and its done. I guess Mo listens to me.

Now post that we need a DP World XI striker....please?!? :hump:

trane
02-10-2009, 02:07 PM
^ Ok. Consider it done.

werewolf
02-10-2009, 02:07 PM
DeRo = 14 :D

BuSaPuNk
02-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Seen this coming a mile away. Wonder if all this allocation money is going to be used on a DP or bringing in another CB? Time will tell. Looks like Mo in the the mood.....more news should be on the way.

ACSertL
02-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Seen this coming a mile away. Wonder if all this allocation money is going to be used on a DP or bringing in another CB? Time will tell. Looks like Mo in the the mood.....more news should be on the way.

The designated player could be a CB. I would prefer to see two quality ones come in though.

I liked Marshall but kind of saw this coming.

hodgkiss
02-10-2009, 02:09 PM
well as i could see the writing on the wall for dunivant, i also see it for ibby maybe too. seeing we have white, dichio, vitti and barrett (and potentially dero playing up front as well) ibby may be lost.

i think this is a good problem and we could probably secure at least some more allocation money for him and free up another spot. don't get me wrong, i like him and he is young but maybe too young to start and maybe too old for a dev spot. we are quickly becoming a team of men with very few kids and i would rather see the young canadian guys on the dev (hall, gala etc...) so we could have some more nana's becoming important pieces of our team.

rocker
02-10-2009, 02:10 PM
i liked marshall unlike some of you ... ;)
but he's nearly 35 years old and costing 153,000, so something had to give.

BuSaPuNk
02-10-2009, 02:11 PM
The designated player could be a CB. I would prefer to see two quality ones come in though.

I liked Marshall but kind of saw this coming.

Yeah I have a funny feeling that it will be used on a CB. We are fine with our depth up front now with Vitti coming in. Going to be an intereseting couple of weeks. Mo said before that he wants to have his team set by close to the end of the preseason.

ccopela
02-10-2009, 02:12 PM
well as i could see the writing on the wall for dunivant, i also see it for ibby maybe too. seeing we have white, dichio, vitti and barrett (and potentially dero playing up front as well) ibby may be lost.

i think this is a good problem and we could probably secure at least some more allocation money for him and free up another spot. don't get me wrong, i like him and he is young but maybe too young to start and maybe too old for a dev spot. we are quickly becoming a team of men with very few kids and i would rather see the young canadian guys on the dev (hall, gala etc...) so we could have some more nana's becoming important pieces of our team.

No way should we be getting rid of ibby just yet. Dichio will be gone next year, vitti might be (he's only on loan), white might not pan out. Ibby is safe for a while he's still only 18 with loads of potential.

hodgkiss
^ feel the same

ACSertL
Yeah I have a funny feeling that it will be used on a CB. We are fine with our depth up front now with Vitti coming in. Going to be an intereseting couple of weeks. Mo said before that he wants to have his team set by close to the end of the preseason.

I am going to start the Jaap Stam to TFC thread :)

BakaGaijin
Praise Jah!

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh man, this is all shaping up so sweetly. There was a wish list of things we wanted Mo and the clu-b to get done for season 3, and pretty much all the key ones will be hit if we sign a top class CB off the back of trading Marshall:

- De Ro
- Vitti
- Top CB
- 3 great young draft picks
- Re-signing key players like DD, Robbo and Ricketts

Suddenly I feel like TFC could become a force in the league this season. We've been quietly putting all the pieces in place whilst retaiing our strong core. Game on...

reggie
02-10-2009, 02:13 PM
maybe they move robbo back there....

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
mlsintoronto made some cryptic comment in the De Ro Shirt Number thread yesterday about "this will all be sorted within three days". Then Marshall gets traded.

Something's up, and something is up SOON people...

ccopela
02-10-2009, 02:16 PM
mlsintoronto made some cryptic comment in the De Ro Shirt Number thread yesterday about "this will all be sorted within three days". Then Marshall gets traded.

sounds to me he was just hinting at the Marshall trade and nothing else.

mlsintoronto
02-10-2009, 02:17 PM

nah - that was the only info...there's only one 14 now and its dero.

spezz44
02-10-2009, 02:17 PM
any chance now we go with 3 in the back if we bring in a quaitly CB and have Robbo play a deep holding mid??

Shaughno
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
sounds to me he was just hinting at the Marshall trade and nothing else.

Why get rid of an experienced defender when you don't exactly have depth in that position, if you don't have something lined up already?

Sab0tage
02-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Why get rid of an experienced defender when you don't exactly have depth in that position, if you don't have something lined up already? Exactly.

Pachuco
02-10-2009, 02:23 PM

What makes you so sure Ibbey isn't still a generations adidas player? that part is still in question. And if he is, your whole argument is out the window :)

Either way, we are not as deep up front as people think, Ibbey has a place on this team.

bdiddy
02-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Hahah, Marshall got traded cause DeRo wanted his number :)

S_D
02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Well glad to see it was for allocation cash rather than for Khano Smith as was mentioned in Ive's comments. I may just have to get allocation as the name on my shirt :)

Dunkers
02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Haha, Mo really does love that allocation money. I wonder if he knows something we don't (ie: substantial salary cap increase for next year) and is just going to use all of this allocation money to get a "head start" on the new cap.

About this trade: Not really surprised. Marshall has lost a step, and we need a quick CB. Hopefully this means Mo has already locked up a CB replacement for him (other than harmse, though I do like how he played at the end of last year).

Trading for allocation money is GREAT! If we trade Marshall for another player, we get a player valued at MAX $150,000 (that is the amount of cap space free up by Marshall http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14937)

But if we trade Marshall for say $200,000 in allocation, now we have $150,000 of free cap space plus another $200,000 in allocation, now we can go out and sign a player for $350,000.

The MLS is set up in order to reward teams for bringing in new talent and that is exactly what MO is taking advantage of, good work MO-JO

ccopela
02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Why get rid of an experienced defender when you don't exactly have depth in that position, if you don't have something lined up already?

I just meant the hint that mlsintoronto gave he wasn't hinting at anything else other than marshall leaving. I would hope something is in the works as a replacement.

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Nice try Paul. We know you've signed Sami Hyypia as part of the deal. :D

Sab0tage
02-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Nice try Paul. We know you've signed Sami Hyypia as part of the deal. :D I wish. :rolleyes:

ACSertL
02-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Nice try Paul. We know you've signed Sami Hyypia as part of the deal. :D

I wish. :rolleyes:

I've already said its Jaap Stam...we don't need any more piss takes in this thread :lol:

Damien
02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Now we can finally afford Kiki Musampa ;)

Chevy
02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
This guy Allocation Money is supposed to be quite useful...either way if it's him and Velez at the heart of the defence, my bet is on Money to cost us less goals than Velez.

We're gonna have Al Money play three or four positions for us this year.:D

giambac
02-10-2009, 02:38 PM
About time we started getting rid of some of the deadwood.

Now if only we can get rid of Carver

Sab0tage
02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
About time we started getting rid of some of the deadwood.

Now if only we can get rid of Carver Or you?

hodgkiss
02-10-2009, 02:39 PM
well if we carry dero, robinson, guevara and cronin for essentially three starting positions, then something has to give. either dero moves up or to the left side, or robinson moves back. either one could happen or both.

as it stands right now, this is the way i see things going...

but this will all change come gold cup time.

--------------------sutton---------------------

---------------nana---harmse----------------
----wynne------------------------brennan----

--------------------robinson-------------------

ricketts------------guevara------derosario---

----------------barrett------vitti---------------

gold cup: (assuming brennan doesn't play for canada)

----------------edwards/frei------------------

---------------kenton----velez----------------
----nana--------------------------brennan----

--------------robinson----cronin---------------
ricketts--------------------------------smith---

S_D
02-10-2009, 02:43 PM
give Carver a break giambac.

By the looks of it Mo is in the process of putting the final touches on the roster. Last season, no finishers, Mo went out and got some. Now Mo has to go out and get him a couple of CB's. If Mo doesn't (doubtful) and we are left with Velez and Harmse as our full time fullbacks and we leak goals like mad, you gonna blame Carver then?

Pass judgement on the guy when we have a complete roster.

Lucky Strike
02-10-2009, 02:43 PM
You know, if you stacked a pile of 100 thousand dollars in the centre of defence, that probably would work well; players would just go for the money and forget about the ball! :D It's a better strategy than having Velez there, that's for sure.

S_D
02-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I still have that image in my mind of Velez trying to head the ball that was level with his knees vs. LAG. :)

Oblio2
02-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Our defence though, is a shambles and I pray something gets sorted ASAP

Parkdale
02-10-2009, 02:54 PM
I guess Mo listens to me.

he better if he knows what's good for him.

reggie
02-10-2009, 02:54 PM
We're gonna have Al Money play three or four positions for us this year.:D
isn't AL MO a member on this board....

TFC OZZ
02-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I am very pleased to hear this. Marshall was a good player, and a nice guy to the fans, and I wish him the best.

This is exactly what the club needed. But before we make comments that we now have 350,000K of allocation available, I think we need to find out all of the details of the trade including how much allocation we got, whether we are responsible for and part of his salary (counter intuitive because we got money in return) etc.

This is definitely a step in the right direction, and I can't wait to see who we sign as a new CB. I believe we only need one CB, because we have Harmse, and Attakora, and Velez already. And to be honest, I like Harmse on defense a lot more than Velez. Bring on Serioux baby.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-10-2009, 02:58 PM
well if we carry dero, robinson, guevara and cronin for essentially three starting positions, then something has to give. either dero moves up or to the left side, or robinson moves back. either one could happen or both.

as it stands right now, this is the way i see things going...

but this will all change come gold cup time.

--------------------sutton---------------------

---------------nana---harmse----------------
----wynne------------------------brennan----

--------------------robinson-------------------

ricketts------------guevara------derosario---

-

HARMSE is SHIT!! I wouldn't want him even remotely close to starting!!!

Pachuco
02-10-2009, 03:00 PM
I am very pleased to hear this. Marshall was a good player, and a nice guy to the fans, and I wish him the best.

This is exactly what the club needed. But before we make comments that we now have 350,000K of allocation available, I think we need to find out all of the details of the trade including how much allocation we got, whether we are responsible for and part of his salary (counter intuitive because we got money in return) etc.

This is definitely a step in the right direction, and I can't wait to see who we sign as a new CB. I believe we only need one CB, because we have Harmse, and Attakora, and Velez already. And to be honest, I like Harmse on defense a lot more than Velez. Bring on Serioux baby.

We are in trouble if we are going to be depending on Harmse and Velez as starters. Attakora is still too young to take the starting role. Though I would expect increased playing time for him this year.

TFCREDNWHITE
02-10-2009, 03:01 PM

WHAT!?!!?!?!?! Are you kidding me!?!?!?!

If those three guys are your answers for bringing a Supporters Sheild or MLS Cup to Toronto, then we are ALL FUCKED!!

hodgkiss
ives is reporting its $100k in allocation money:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/seattle-set-to-deal-smith-to-rbny-after-landing-marshall.html

Lucky Strike

Perhaps so. I wonder though if such responsibilities would count towards the cap. It's similar to the whole Gomez back to DC thing: Colorado is responsible for 200 of his 400K, would that count against the cap?

Lucky Strike
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
ives is reporting its $100k in allocation money:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/seattle-set-to-deal-smith-to-rbny-after-landing-marshall.html

That's not too shabby, considering he was turning 35 soon.

olegunnar
02-10-2009, 03:04 PM
I may just have to get allocation as the name on my shirt :)

That would be awesome.

Next time someone posts one of those stupid threads...Who's name should I get on my jersey...I really hope Allocation is an option...I'd vote for that.

Allocation must be really good since Mo keeps trading for him.

Inklink
02-10-2009, 03:05 PM
You know, if you stacked a pile of 100 thousand dollars in the centre of defence, that probably would work well; players would just go for the money and forget about the ball! :D It's a better strategy than having Velez there, that's for sure.

LOL! So true! :D

I like this move to be honest. I mean, I had nothing against Ty, but this is for the best for the team.

Can't wait to see his replacement :) .

rocker
02-10-2009, 03:15 PM
100K is pretty sweet allocation money. so Mo just cleared up $250,000.

TFC OZZ
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
WHAT!?!!?!?!?! Are you kidding me!?!?!?!

If those three guys are your answers for bringing a Supporters Sheild or MLS Cup to Toronto, then we are ALL FUCKED!!

RELAX.

Those three guys are not my answer for bringing in silverware, but I think that given restricted salary cap room, I doubt that we'll be bringing in TWO CB's, when we have 3 players capable of playing that position; so until we get rid of another one, I don't see us bringing in a SECOND CB in addition to the other one we're presumably getting. As far as I'm concerned, our cap is pretty tight right now, which may be bang on or horribly off, that's just the impression that I've been getting lately with the re-signings of Robinson, Ricketts, Dichio, Barrett and company as well as the signings of Vitti and De Rosario.

Also, I don't think any of the three players I mentioned are spectacular, but I sure as hell liked Harmse as a CB more than Marshall or Velez, and Attokora is a prospect, but I see him being fit to get more minutes this season. Trade Velez away and pick up Serioux, and sign a quality CB in addition to that, and I'd be happy.

hodgkiss
02-10-2009, 03:17 PM
pachuco, consider this possibility...

what if we were to sign gregory richardson (the guy who scored a trick against the revs last year) for say... maybe $150k. with richardson, dichio, barrett, white, vitti and dero that we could use up front (thats 6 strikers - including white although untested in mls had something like 24 goals in ncaa two years ago), would you rather not have this then ibby?

richardson and ibby take up a spot if he is not g/a. (although richardson would be int - maybe thats why we got rid of ty) that makes a huge difference. and i would feel waaaay more comfortable with guys that are taking up roster spots to be "proven" or canadian rather than a young american kid who could be taking up a spot for maybe a guy like kyle hall who could be even better than ibby and using a dev spot.

did you see kyle play with the canadian u23's? he looked pretty good. and apparently, has caught the eye of carver already...

today ibby was subbed out after only 15 minutes. and i'm wondering if carver is feeling the same way that i am...

TorontoBlades
02-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Now we can finally afford Kiki Musampa ;)

hehe.....dashts quality :) (in the Wayne Rooney IOSS voice)

colman1860
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
hehe.....dashts quality :) (in the Wayne Rooney IOSS voice)

Fantastic!

TFCREDNWHITE
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Ibby is like 18yrs old for crying out loud and he is money in the bank!. The kid will be get us 5-10 million in kitty money in just 3-5 years....

Who knows, Ibby might even be able to get us a nice down payment on expansion of seats or maybe a roof!?!??

S_D
02-10-2009, 03:22 PM
In Ives blog, jeff parke is considering coming back to the MLS. Pretty good CB and Seattle holds his rights. Doesn't want to play there. Wonder if TFC is an option :ihih:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/seattle-set-to-deal-smith-to-rbny-after-landing-marshall.html (http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/02/seattle-set-to-deal-smith-to-rbny-after-landing-marshall.html)

Brooker
02-10-2009, 03:23 PM

qu'est que vous chantez ?!

Wagner
02-10-2009, 03:25 PM

My GF pre-paid to get a number on the back of my new jersey...
they put DeRosario on the back...but the dudes at CentreSports said to come back and they'd finish it off with his number when it's announced...

am i 100% safe to take my jersey in tonight???
and have 14 put on it??

Lucky Strike
02-10-2009, 03:26 PM
RELAX.

Those three guys are not my answer for bringing in silverware, but I think that given restricted salary cap room, I doubt that we'll be bringing in TWO CB's, when we have 3 players capable of playing that position; so until we get rid of another one, I don't see us bringing in a SECOND CB in addition to the other one we're presumably getting. As far as I'm concerned, our cap is pretty tight right now, which may be bang on or horribly off, that's just the impression that I've been getting lately with the re-signings of Robinson, Ricketts, Dichio, Barrett and company as well as the signings of Vitti and De Rosario.

Also, I don't think any of the three players I mentioned are spectacular, but I sure as hell liked Harmse as a CB more than Marshall or Velez, and Attokora is a prospect, but I see him being fit to get more minutes this season. Trade Velez away and pick up Serioux, and sign a quality CB in addition to that, and I'd be happy.

Stole the words right out of my mouth. That's two or three times that this has happened over the past few days (in general, not just you or on this topic); it's pretty useful!

Lucky Strike
02-10-2009, 03:27 PM
My GF pre-paid to get a number on the back of my new jersey...
they put DeRosario on the back...but the dudes at CentreSports said to come back and they'd finish it off with his number when it's announced...

am i 100% safe to take my jersey in tonight???
and have 14 put on it??

Better not. Nothing is 100% safe and you wouldn't want to ruin your jersey for something that can be avoided by waiting a few days, IMHO.

poppamidnight
02-10-2009, 03:31 PM
why are people on here talking such stupidity? (well most of you aren't but theres a fair number that are)...

Okay, as it stood we needed 1 more CB....
Tyronne was our best DEFENDER last year...
Now that he's gone, we need TWO solid CB's.

and why are people talking like Attakora will get more playing time?
He's not a CB!!!!
He's Marvel's eventual replacement!!!!

God, some people....
if you don't pay attention to what's going on with the team your watching, then piss off!!!

Honestly, do some people like not watch the games at all when their at BMO?
Do you only go there to line up for the pissers?

Wagner
02-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Better not. Nothing is 100% safe and you wouldn't want to ruin your jersey for something that can be avoided by waiting a few days, IMHO.

I see what you're saying.
Good thing i didn't take it in to get the #28 put on.
:hump:

Jack
02-10-2009, 03:37 PM
this will be resolved soon. 3 days max.

Wow...it got done in one!

Looks like we'll be signing one or two of the defenders in camp.

TFC OZZ
02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
why are people on here talking such stupidity? (well most of you aren't but theres a fair number that are)...

He's not a CB!!!!

God, some people....
if you don't pay attention to what's going on with the team your watching, then piss off!!!

Really? You're going to have the audacity to make that first comment, and then slam other people's opinions with your second one? I think you need to re-evaluate your own opinions before bashing others'.

djking2
02-10-2009, 03:46 PM
My gut is Mo's about to sign a quality new defender who will not be required to trial ( like Vitti). I suspect we may keep the guy from cheltenham too.

poppamidnight
02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Really? You're going to have the audacity to make that first comment, and then slam other people's opinions with your second one? I think you need to re-evaluate your own opinions before bashing others'.

Defender
v. de·fend·ed, de·fend·ing, de·fends
v.tr.1. To make or keep safe from danger, attack, or harm.
2. Sports a. To attempt to prevent the opposition from scoring while playing in or near (a goal or area of a field, for example).
b. To be responsible for guarding (an opposing player).
c. To compete against a challenger in an attempt to retain (a championship).I capitalized the word DEFENDER to draw attention to it's meaning....
Brennan and Marvel aren't our best DEFENDERS

CB's = Defenders

...so ya,
i win

go buy a websters sport!

nice try though slugger

Jack
02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
My gut is Mo's about to sign a quality new defender who will not be required to trial ( like Vitti). I suspect we may keep the guy from cheltenham too.
I'm pretty sure we've got one defender already lined up, but I think after trading Marshall, it'd be a good idea if we signed two.

Mo seems to have lined things up pretty well this off-season, so I think he's probably got something on the go to take care of this situation.

TFC OZZ
02-10-2009, 03:50 PM

He's not a CB!!!!

God, some people....

Ya, I guess he's never been considered for CB before....:rolleyes:
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/06/6992046-sun.html

"Nana Attakora-Gyan seems like the logical fit to play in the centre of defence partnering Brennan, with Gabe Gala and Hunter Freeman defending from the outside."

poppamidnight
02-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Ya, I guess he's never been considered for CB before....:rolleyes:
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soccer/2008/10/06/6992046-sun.html

"Nana Attakora-Gyan seems like the logical fit to play in the centre of defence partnering Brennan, with Gabe Gala and Hunter Freeman defending from the outside."

again, you prove my point...
you evidently don't watch the games when ur at BMO

cuz if you did, you'd see Attakora is best out wide, and he gets burned whenever he plays CB

Really, you should time your beer consumption/pissing technique to hit the pissers ASAP to avoid those lines and ACTUALLY WATCH THE GAMES!!!

...but hey, maybe you dont even watch,
you could just scour media sources and pretend to be in touch with the team

nimamalek
02-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I like Harmse at the back, I think as a third CB option or even as a starter beside a dependable CB he might turn out well, that is assuming we find a good experienced CB to replace Ty

rocker
02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
cuz if you did, you'd see Attakora is best out wide, and he gets burned whenever he plays CB

when did he get burned playing CB? he barely played there.
I think you're confusing Nana with Julius James. Julius James got burned many times.

I have no idea which position Nana is best at. He only played 5 games last year.. 2 of which were substitutions.

Pachuco
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
pachuco, consider this possibility...

what if we were to sign gregory richardson (the guy who scored a trick against the revs last year) for say... maybe $150k. with richardson, dichio, barrett, white, vitti and dero that we could use up front (thats 6 strikers - including white although untested in mls had something like 24 goals in ncaa two years ago), would you rather not have this then ibby?

richardson and ibby take up a spot if he is not g/a. (although richardson would be int - maybe thats why we got rid of ty) that makes a huge difference. and i would feel waaaay more comfortable with guys that are taking up roster spots to be "proven" or canadian rather than a young american kid who could be taking up a spot for maybe a guy like kyle hall who could be even better than ibby and using a dev spot.

did you see kyle play with the canadian u23's? he looked pretty good. and apparently, has caught the eye of carver already...

today ibby was subbed out after only 15 minutes. and i'm wondering if carver is feeling the same way that i am...

I don't get it, Richardson is by no means proven. He had 1 good game against NE, that was it. By all accounts the guy wasn't even spectacular in the T&T league. I don't see how you can think Ibbey isn't as good as Richardson (with more upside since he's younger) unless you follow the T&T league yourself.

Also, isn't Kyle Hall 23? Ibbey's been just as impressive as Hall and he's something like 5 years younger.

I think you make too many assumptions. It all comes down to who Carver thinks is performing better and who has more upside. Unless you are in Florida, I think it's pretty hard for you to say you'd prefer Hall or Richardson over Ibbey.

All I know is I've seen Ibbey play in the MLS, and this kid has a future. Not only in the MLS, but possibly in Europe (means more money for us when we sell him). Do you really think Richardson is going to be sold to Europe?

S_D
wow. We got to page 3 before someone started freaking out. :D

Relax and enjoy watching TFC rebuild their back line. If Mo doesn't, then by all means... go to it.

TFCREDNWHITE
I'm pretty sure we've got one defender already lined up, but I think after trading Marshall, it'd be a good idea if we signed two.

Mo seems to have lined things up pretty well this off-season, so I think he's probably got something on the go to take care of this situation.

Agreed, I think Mo's got this under control. I have faith in MoJo.

poppamidnight
I think you're confusing Nana with Julius James.

I have no idea which position Nana is best at. He only played 5 games last year.

so you to admittingly didnt watch those games?

Cuz if you did, you'd have seen that he played best in those when he was filling in for Marvel.

True supporters who actually watch the games seem to know what's up:
Nana is being groomed to replace Wynne once Marvel gets a big offer

Pachuco
02-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Cuz if you did, you'd have seen that he played best in those when he was filling in for Marvel.

I don't think many people disagree with you, we probably need 2 defenders at this point to shore up the back line. I mean, we've now effectively lost Dunivant, Marshall and Wynne seems to be getting call ups to the USMNT. Worst case in my opinion we need 2 CBs. Let's just wait and see if Mo gets us that. I'll join your bitching if we are going into game 1 with Harmse and Velez as our starting CBs.

Flashman
02-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I was visiting family in Toronto in late-mid January, and I got DeRosario and 14 on my new jersey from the ACC. I was unable to return at a later date to get a number put on, but I knew one way or the other he would end up with 14 :)

jloome
02-10-2009, 04:22 PM

In terms of central defenders, he's not being audacious. He was our best central defender last year.

Nonetheless, none of the three -- harmse, velez or Marshall -- looked much up to the task.

jloome
02-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I think you're confusing Nana with Julius James. Julius James got burned many times.

I have no idea which position Nana is best at. He only played 5 games last year.. 2 of which were substitutions.

And that's total baloney. He wasn't badly burned even once, that I can recall, and played both positions well. He was more of a fullback than a wingback, unlike Marvell, who spends a lot of time at midfield or up. But both wide and centrally, he was very solid.

cy43
02-10-2009, 04:24 PM
When did nana play cb?

Not saying he would/wouldn't be good there, I just don't remember seeing him there.

I think we gotta bring someone in.

cy43
02-10-2009, 04:27 PM
And that's total baloney. He wasn't badly burned even once, that I can recall, and played both positions well. He was more of a fullback than a wingback, unlike Marvell, who spends a lot of time at midfield or up. But both wide and centrally, he was very solid.

haha this makes my day.

Bologna!!!

rocker
02-10-2009, 04:32 PM

what's all this "must not have watched the games" bullshit that's up your ass? I've watched every single TFC game since its inception, and I've been on this message board since 2006. I've watched TFC as much as you have. Who knows, maybe more, since you seem to remember Nana getting burned at CB when I can't.

So answer my question:

in which game did Nana get burned playing CB? You can't answer it cuz it never happened. And Nana only played 5 games.

You're making a judgement on Nana BASED ON 5 GAMES??? How can you compare his play at CB to another position when he only played 5 games?
Nana could be the greatest CB TFC has ever seen, but we wouldn't know yet cuz he's barely played there... barely played at all.

I think Nana is gonna be a fine player. I don't think we can know yet whether he's stronger as a CB or right back. He needs to get more opportunities to prove himself. I think he has the size and ability to play either.

trane
02-10-2009, 04:36 PM

You know it. :cool:

Bobinhood
02-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Two words:

Sami. Hyppia.

oho do i wish.

right now we have more coaches than backs. hmm.

BFin
02-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I agree that no one can really have an opinion at this juncture with regards to his play as he has not had anytime to really get his footing out there. Give him a full season before we all pull a "TFC Fan" and turn cynical over every move.

THAT BEING SAID just cause I love watching these arguments go on for pages and pages...here is Nana getting burned...
http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/images/2009/02/09/ntTbAG2B.jpg

hahahh.....:p

ExiledRed
02-10-2009, 04:49 PM
Two words:

Sami. Hyppia.

oho do i wish.

right now we have more coaches than backs. hmm.

Going straight into the coaching staff at LFC, without a doubt in my mind.

AL-MO
02-10-2009, 04:57 PM

Alright lets not get into the "Who's the better supporter arguments".

Thanks.

ben_vw
02-10-2009, 05:00 PM
From SBI...

That deal, which reunites Marshall with Seattle head coach Sigi Schmid (who coached Marshall in Los Angeles) paves the way for Toronto FC to make its next acquisition, an international central defender whose identity has yet to be revealed.

Big Bruva
02-10-2009, 05:01 PM
* Nana is for sure a better wing back than anything else and for sure will and should be Marvs eventual replacement. I can't see Nana ever being a regular CB and he only played there and im sure will only ever play there in times of major emergencies. Some are talking about Kenton's height 5'9 being too small for CB well Nana is not CB height either then.

* People need to stop talking about Robbo as a potential CB, not gonna happen and shouldn't. Robbo does not want to play CB and just coz he filled in and didn't play too bad does not mean he can hold that spot down throughout a season, it would also mean him learning how to be a CB.

* Harmse need to be a sub and used when needed as a CB or DM when needed, if people are thinking Harmse can play a whole season at CB for TFC and the team will be successful i don't see it.

Luanda
02-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Point is we are now 2 players under a 24 man roster. Surely new CBs are coming in.
In the next 3 days?

ccopela
02-10-2009, 05:03 PM

Just throwing it out there that Nana plays CB for the Canada Under-20 team. So even if he hasn't played there yet for TFC that's been his position for a number of years with that team.

FluSH
02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH

...and that my friend shows you just how during recessionary periods, you can avoid paying strip club dollars to acquire "your" number!

:D

MartinUtd
02-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Well maybe we'll go with Kenton and a rotating CB (Velez, Harmse) until something more permanent and stable is sorted. The last thing we want is to sign an international 10 games in and have him pull a Tebily.

akoto
02-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Nana is a great talent and is TFC's future but can we afford to have him starting right now? I don't think so! Bring in a solid CB.

TFC OZZ
02-10-2009, 05:13 PM
In terms of central defenders, he's not being audacious. He was our best central defender last year.

Nonetheless, none of the three -- harmse, velez or Marshall -- looked much up to the task.

I was saying that he was audacious to state his opinion, which I disagree with, and then go out and say that other people don't even watch the games, are not loyal fans, and don't know anything for opposing it. It's fine that you and him think Marshall was our best defender last year, I personally rate Wynne, Brennan, and Harmse higher than him to be frank, but that's just my opinion.

BFin
02-10-2009, 05:18 PM
The 'who's the better supporter' argument reminded me of the other day when I was told I know nothing about soccer because I didn't watch every LA Galaxy game last year.

Either way, it's a stupid thing to argue about.

Keyman
02-10-2009, 05:20 PM
This move cannot be judged until we see what the subsequent reaction is by Mo. Until a replacement (or two) is signed, it's difficult to feel anything other than indifferent towards this trade.

FluSH
02-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Wow...it got done in one!

Looks like we'll be signing one or two of the defenders in camp.

It's the underpromise ovedeliver technique! That's how you make it to the top! :D

jloome
02-10-2009, 05:25 PM
* Nana is for sure a better wing back than anything else and for sure will and should be Marvs eventual replacement. I can't see Nana ever being a regular CB and he only played there and im sure will only ever play there in times of major emergencies. Some are talking about Kenton's height 5'9 being too small for CB well Nana is not CB height either then.

* People need to stop talking about Robbo as a potential CB, not gonna happen and shouldn't. Robbo does not want to play CB and just coz he filled in and didn't play too bad does not mean he can hold that spot down throughout a season, it would also mean him learning how to be a CB.

* Harmse need to be a sub and used when needed as a CB or DM when needed, if people are thinking Harmse can play a whole season at CB for TFC and the team will be successful i don't see it.

Pretty much sums it up, partcularly that last point. I think people need to go back and watch how Dane Richards from NY burned Kevin on a simple shoulder fake; he only played a handful of games at centre back and was burned twice for goals. That doesn't make him the steadying defensive presence we need.

I thought Attakora looked good in both positions, but you're probably right, not too many sub-six-footers being groomed at centre half these days.

cmonyoureds
02-10-2009, 05:30 PM
The team is worse off for this at the moment. Let's reserve complete judgment on it until we see what they bring in, cause they don't have a replacement for Marshall on the roster right now. IMO. Maybe Carver is considering the 3-5-2 he used pretty frequently last year.....let the potshots commence.

BFin
02-10-2009, 05:34 PM
The team is worse off for this at the moment. Let's reserve complete judgment on it until we see what they bring in, cause they don't have a replacement for Marshall on the roster right now. IMO. Maybe Carver is considering the 3-5-2 he used pretty frequently last year.....let the potshots commence.

<POTSHOT> PEW PEW <POTSHOT>

ben_vw
02-10-2009, 05:36 PM

From Ives...

That deal, which reunites Marshall with Seattle head coach Sigi Schmid (who coached Marshall in Los Angeles) paves the way for Toronto FC to make its next acquisition, an international central defender whose identity has yet to be revealed

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
02-10-2009, 05:44 PM
HARMES at the back could cause Alot of PK's AGAINST!

He can be a bull no doubt!!!

I hope if CArver decides to use him back there..He Sets him straight first!!

BUt i wouldnt object to the move at all!

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
sad news i was going to get Marshall on the back of the new grey jersey...damn

good luck to him..he has made Seattle stronger...and us....????

Brooker
02-10-2009, 06:20 PM
sad news i was going to get Marshall on the back of the new grey jersey...damn

good luck to him..he has made Seattle stronger...and us....????

are getting younger and more $$$

marshall isn't that hard to upgrade. i liked him but that doesn't blind me to his faults.

canadian_bhoy
02-10-2009, 06:25 PM
I'm pumped about this move. There's no way Mo would have dealt Marshall and Dunny unless he had something up his sleeve.

I think big news could be on the way - If so, we will be in a good spot for a real go at the playoffs this season.

ben_vw
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm pumped about this move. There's no way Mo would have dealt Marshall and Dunny unless he had something up his sleeve.

I think big news could be on the way - If so, we will be in a good spot for a real go at the playoffs this season.

+1 m8!

FluSH
02-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Well, I now officially believe we need 2 CBs, not one. My previous opinion on needing only 1 CB was based on the fact that Tyrone would be the other CB. I mean, we can hire John Terry or Rio Ferdinand, but as long as Velez is a starting CB then we are in deep doodoo.

ouch... he did score two goals last year!

FluSH
02-10-2009, 07:05 PM

I have to agree here... I think Marshall was good overall... he had his attitude problems that were reflected on the pitch every now and then... but over all he was good in my eyes.

DVS
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
I have to agree here... I think Marshall was good overall... he had his attitude problems that were reflected on the pitch every now and then... but over all he was good in my eyes.

Its good if Mo signs a player better than Marshall. Allocation money means fuck all if you don't use it properly

akoto
02-10-2009, 07:23 PM
I have a good feeling we will use most of our allocation money this year. Mo knows what we need and he is not going to leave us with a gaping hole in the central defence. CB(s) coming in the near future. Kenton probably will be one of them. I can't see Mo making this trade with out at least something in place first.

Azerban
02-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Its good if Mo signs a player better than Marshall. Allocation money means fuck all if you don't use it properly

do you or anyone else honestly believe that we won't be signing anyone new in defence

come on now people

ben_vw
02-10-2009, 07:35 PM
do you or anyone else honestly believe that we won't be signing anyone new in defence

come on now people

In the words of John Carver... "don't worry it [allocation money] will be spent."

See TFC TV for this quote...

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 07:43 PM
starting allocation - $1,000,000
Money to Houston For DeRo - (125,000)
Money from LA for Dunny - 125,000
Money from Seattle for Ty - 100,000

Total $1,100,000

Money spent on Vitti ?????
Money spent on new CB ?????
Money for salary cap overages ?????

Toronto FC should have enough for one more decent CB.

Torcida
02-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Why the F would we do that?

What would have Marshall's contract have been for this year? Anyone know?

akoto
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Ibby is what, 17? And GA? No way in hell is he going!

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Ibbe won't be moved for a few reasons:

- He is a GA player, doesn't count towards the cap
- Has a lot of value when he is sold to a team in Europe (shared with Dallas)
- Dichio's last year, Vitti on loan for who know's how long, White is still hurt (midseason maybe)

Pachuco
02-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Ibbe won't be moved for a few reasons:

- He is a GA player, doesn't count towards the cap
- Has a lot of value when he is sold to a team in Europe (shared with Dallas)
- Dichio's last year, Vitti on loan for who know's how long, White is still hurt (midseason maybe)

I'll give you one more reason, he can play out wide as well as he showed last year. He's not a one dimensional striker.

Pachuco
02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
ouch... he did score two goals last year!

Yes, and I personally thank him for that. Unfortunately, Mo doesn't pay him for that :D

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I am gonna miss Marshall's rasta singing in those TFC TV videos.

Ossington Mental Youth
02-10-2009, 08:43 PM
as well as Ibbe is 17 and wants to live in TO cuz he has family here, thats the original reason for him moving to TFC in the first place

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I just realized........Seattle acquired the 2 players on Toronto who have the worse haircuts:

Marshall and Jarrod Smith

hahaha!!!!!

Broadview
02-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I just realized........Seattle acquired the 2 players on Toronto who have the worse haircuts:

Marshall and Jarrod Smith

hahaha!!!!!

It's okay, all the rain will flatten everything anyway.

johnmolinaro
02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/10/torontofc-trade-marshall.html

Can't say I was surprised they dealt him.

John

ben_vw
02-10-2009, 09:07 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2009/02/10/torontofc-trade-marshall.html

Can't say I was surprised they dealt him.

John

I'm in the same boat as you, John.

http://www.tfcconnected.com/2009/02/toronto-sends-tyrone-marshall-to.html

Have you heard anything about the "unnamed international defender"?

johnmolinaro
02-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, John.

http://www.tfcconnected.com/2009/02/toronto-sends-tyrone-marshall-to.html

Have you heard anything about the "unnamed international defender"?

I have, but I can't say. Once I can confirm it 100 per cent, you'll know about it.

John

Sab0tage
02-10-2009, 09:16 PM
I have, but I can't say. Once I can confirm it 100 per cent, you'll know about it.

John No one will know if you let it slip. :cool:

Mikey
02-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I hope we're getting someone SOON, with our existing setup we better be scoring 10 goals a game, cos' we're gonna be letting in 8.

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 09:26 PM
John Molinaro, you shameless hussy!!! You can't tease and run like that - at least give us a crumb, something to set the chatter going even if it's not enough to get us close to the player's identity!

Hitcho
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
I hope we're getting someone SOON, with our existing setup we better be scoring 10 goals a game, cos' we're gonna be letting in 8.

Well before we traded Tyrone I would have disagreed with you on that. But now we have no top CB to lead the line, no cover at CB and confidence will be a major issue with a RB and CM in place in Velez and Harmse.

I'm sure Mo has someone lined up, in addition to potentially Kenton. The way this off season has gone he deserves total trust right now...

mighty_torontofc_2008
02-10-2009, 09:36 PM
are getting younger and more $$$

marshall isn't that hard to upgrade. i liked him but that doesn't blind me to his faults.

Nothing against the $$$ aspect as long as they get a replacement...

poppamidnight
02-10-2009, 10:17 PM

Total $1,100,000

Money spent on Vitti ?????
Money spent on new CB ?????
Money for salary cap overages ?????

Toronto FC should have enough for one more decent CB.

come on people, this is this stuff im talking about

now WE NEED TWO MORE!!!

we were already -1 in the CB department yesterday....
dealing our best CB today means the number is now:

(yes when you take one away from -1 it = -2!!!!!)

Really people... grade 2 math they begin to teach negatives

Nuvinho, I don't know if you we're simpling pointing to the (terrifying) fact we only have enough for 1 CB,
or you we're assuming one is all we need (which would make you either shitfaced right now, or you havent been watching matches in my books)

From the post's i've read from you, your a smart lad,
so im assuming you meant the first one....
...in which case... you shouldh've inserted some type of Alarm/panic button in your post

Seriously people,
we can't have that 1 glaring gap in the back this year (assuming we sign one CB....it would obsviously be 2 glaring gaps if we dont)... look how that turned out for us last year!!!
if Cronin or Robbo ever get beat, we're all gunna be cringing expecting to see an opponent goal (or busy praying to the soccer gods to permit Sutton to stand on his head)

Big Bruva's got my back on this one, and summed up the pts I havent touched on (mainly our lack of current FULL TIME REPLACEMENTS at the CB position....

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 10:29 PM
^^^ Dude, I meant 2, there is a line for a new CB........then I put another comment on the bottom saying that there is enough money after all that for one more CB.

For example - Vitti $300K, New CB $300K, Overages $150K...if you can add that up.....you'll see that there is enough for 1 more CB. That is what I meant.

btw, I have watched every game.....we need 2 solid CBs, but will probably get 1 really good one and one MLS quality one.

DigzTFC!
02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
I know this is wild speculation, but what about this guy:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/117/greece/2009/02/10/1102795/aek-athens-didnt-respect-me--lequi

Matis Lequi - 27 year old 6"3 unattached CB....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat%C3%ADas_Emanuel_Lequi

Yohan
02-10-2009, 10:32 PM
start panicking if there is no CB signed before opening match

Trader Mo is at work. Whether we get good CB is another question, but he'll get us something

poppamidnight
02-10-2009, 10:33 PM
^^^ Dude, if you know how to read, there is a line for a new CB........then I put another comment on the bottom saying that there is enough money after all that for one more CB.

1+1=2

We'll then you technically should have said the words "after that"

I bolded the exact words via quote, so to me it seemed like your last sentence was a summary (that your point was we only have enough for ONE CB)

Don't give me the 'know to read' arguement. Im a communications major, writing sports at McMasters uni paper - trust me, i have to read and re-read.

you just need to work on your communication skills...hahahah

But im glad we're on the same page then,

2 CB's are needed to take us all the way!!!

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 10:36 PM
We'll then you technically should have said the words "after that"

I bolded the exact words via quote, so to me it seemed like your last sentence was a summary (that your point was we only have enough for ONE CB)

Don't give me the 'know to read' arguement. Im a communications major, writing sports at McMasters uni paper - trust me, i have to read and re-read.

you just need to work on your communication skills...hahahah

But im glad we're on the same page then,

2 CB's are needed to take us all the way!!!

sorry, I didn't READ your post properly, I changed it. I don't really need to read stuff I get my admin assistant to do that......I just do the numbers......haha

TorontoBlades
02-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Tyrone Marshall has a championship mentality??!!!....dashts brilliant

Nuvinho
02-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Just for Big poppa:

Total $1,100,000

Money spent on Vitti $300-400K
Money spent on new CB $250-350K
Money for salary cap overages $150K*

ONE MORE CB at $100K to $150K

*I don't even think that TFC will be over the cap as they were $140K over before they dumped Dunny and Marshall (based on 2008 figures)

Kickit09
02-10-2009, 10:42 PM
timbers army? i thought he was traded to seattle? :noidea:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/1956725867_0e805c10f9.jpg?v=1194746327

ccopela
02-10-2009, 10:50 PM
^^ Seattle fans won't like seeing that picture!

Jack
02-10-2009, 11:12 PM
What for a CB signing in the next few days and then one of the trialists to stick.

That's what makes the most sense to me.

Apparently, the competition in training camp this season is very good and the incumbent players are being pushed hard. Competition for spots is a good thing.

bhoybobby
02-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Say what you will guys, Marshall was a warrior on a woeful team, he'll be missed. I have no qualms with it as long as whoever comes in is an upgrade, if not then wtf.

ExiledRed
02-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Say what you will guys, Marshall was a warrior on a woeful team, he'll be missed. I have no qualms with it as long as whoever comes in is an upgrade, if not then wtf.

Utterly agree, it's been sad watching 'the flock' victimise Tyrone this off season, when the real problems this team had were much deeper.

We need a new CB..baaa....baaaaa

ensco
02-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Just for Big poppa:

Total $1,100,000

Money spent on Vitti $300-400K
Money spent on new CB $250-350K
Money for salary cap overages $150K*

ONE MORE CB at $100K to $150K

*I don't even think that TFC will be over the cap as they were $140K over before they dumped Dunny and Marshall (based on 2008 figures)

I will bet you a scarf that DeRo is getting more than $150K of "overage" (ie his total comp is now more than $475K).

Nuvinho
02-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I will bet you a scarf that DeRo is getting more than $150K of "overage" (ie his total comp is now more than $475K).

I had him down on actual salary at $400K. With him I maxed it out. I figured that Robbo and Dichio got $25K to $50K less, Ricketts the same money, Barrett around $91K. Mind you these are based on last year's salary and assumptions. Take my calculations with a grain of salt.

maninb
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
Pelter and Fojut look like BIG YOUNG CBs with good int'l experience...I'll take either of those guys over velez or Harmse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Starosta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Starosta)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Pelter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Pelter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%C5%82aw_Fojut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%C5%82aw_Fojut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cave-Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cave-Brown)

Bikerbob
02-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Yes Marshal was a strong fighter. You could never fault his effort. A lot of defence moved out, and most said it was the defense that needed fixing up? SO lets hope and assume that MO moved out so that new can be moved in.

I am happy with the front and the mid now.. we need CBs and good CBs .. is there a REAL SHOT at a DP CB out there? from where? who? I think I would be happy with a Star defender.. 1 to 0 is still a win.. we only need 1 goal a match if we hold the other team out.

Hitcho
02-12-2009, 01:56 PM
The defence was made to look worse than it really was last seaosn by our chronic lack of goals for much of the year. if we'd had a steady flow of goals going in the other end no-one would be complaining too much.

that said, the CB area could defintiely have used some improvement, and I think having addressed the striking issue in Vitti and De Ro (and OBW when fit) Mo is now looking to tighten up at the back too.

Three big factors over last season which would push us into the play offs this year:

1. settled roster by the start of the season, and throughout the season
2. much better attacking options
3. tighter defence

Get those sorted, and we're in the post seaosn for sure, because we really weren;t that far off it last year.

Yohan
02-12-2009, 02:42 PM
The defence was made to look worse than it really was last seaosn by our chronic lack of goals for much of the year. if we'd had a steady flow of goals going in the other end no-one would be complaining too much.

The defence would have looked worse if Sutton didnt stand on his head quite a few times

brad
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
The defence would have looked worse if Sutton didnt stand on his head quite a few times

And on the flip side, the defense might have looked a lot better if Sutton had organized them better.

romburgundy
02-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Tyrone was a very valuable player on our team however he was getting up there and we could use some new blood in the back. We are thankful for the time we had Marshal at tfc and wish him well.

Brooker
02-14-2009, 07:12 PM
timbers army? i thought he was traded to seattle? :noidea:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/1956725867_0e805c10f9.jpg?v=1194746327

bwahahahahaha Marshall will be kicking himself.

Big Bruva
02-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Utterly agree, it's been sad watching 'the flock' victimise Tyrone this off season, when the real problems this team had were much deeper.

We need a new CB..baaa....baaaaa

In my short time on the board im used to it bro lol thats why i take most posts with a grain of salt.

Tyrone wil be missed on this team as of now, although i do understand JC about his age and losing step but until you replace him with a decent CB its a bad move.

S_D
02-14-2009, 10:57 PM
In my short time on the board im used to it bro lol thats why i take most posts with a grain of salt.

Tyrone wil be missed on this team as of now, although i do understand JC about his age and losing step but until you replace him with a decent CB its a bad move.

I was surprised actually that they didn't have one signed before they traded him. We have the roster spots open, but it may be a salary cap space issue as we don't really know how much allocation cash etc has been spent.

I understand why he was moved, I just hope they have someone lined up for sure or this is going to be a long season :(

Ossington Mental Youth
02-14-2009, 11:17 PM
i sincerely dont believe that we would have moved Marshall without another CB lined up, its a rookie mistake that JC and Mo wouldnt go for, just because we havent heard of one yet doesnt mean there isnt one coming, think about how long it took to get Vitti signed...

Ossington Mental Youth
02-14-2009, 11:18 PM
a couple of people have heard names floating around but can confirm and havent said who they are...

S_D
02-14-2009, 11:22 PM
i sincerely dont believe that we would have moved Marshall without another CB lined up, its a rookie mistake that JC and Mo wouldnt go for, just because we havent heard of one yet doesnt mean there isnt one coming, think about how long it took to get Vitti signed...

That's the part that worries me lol

jazz_trumpet
02-14-2009, 11:52 PM
Pelter and Fojut look like BIG YOUNG CBs with good int'l experience...I'll take either of those guys over velez or Harmse.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Starosta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Starosta)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Pelter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Pelter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%C5%82aw_Fojut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaros%C5%82aw_Fojut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cave-Brown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Cave-Brown)

Where are these names coming from? Are you just picking them out of thin air?

Cambridge_Red
02-14-2009, 11:58 PM

Exactly!

I was shocked not to see Marshall traded and "soanso" signed. I don't believe we can defend adequately with what we have left. Harmse is not a starting defender please don't subject us to this!

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Where are these names coming from? Are you just picking them out of thin air?

Sean Keay mentioned them in the Usector site

Ossington Mental Youth
02-15-2009, 12:20 AM
That's the part that worries me lol

HAHA
we do have until late march before the season starts and im sure there will be practices before then, i would assume that Mo is working his hardest to get our CB (or hopefully CBs) in earlier

Nuvinho
02-15-2009, 09:51 AM
HAHA
we do have until late march before the season starts and im sure there will be practices before then, i would assume that Mo is working his hardest to get our CB (or hopefully CBs) in earlier

I am thinking this week, since they are back in Toronto. They probably had to get papers signed, by lawyers, BOD, etc.

Jack
02-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Let's hope this gets done and there are no hiccups or contract wrangling in the way.

I know that there was interest shown in some of these young CBs that are prospective to us by some European clubs, so we could still end up getting the short end of the stick and lose these guys to some obscure team or something.

It's still our sad reality that a lot of guys would rather play in second- or third-tier Euro leagues over MLS.

S_D
02-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Even though this article has been linked to before in other threads, it is worth repeating.

Here is an interview with Real Salt Lake GM Garth Lagerway, a great piece on player acquisition:

http://keepinitrealsl.blogspot.com/2008/09/garth-lagerway-on-player-acquisitions.html